Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A little worried: Here's why

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 30, 2012
Over the year across different accounts I have played, I have invested a lot of money and time into the game. I personally cannot get over the fact of exactly how much everything costs.
I want to buy crowns, but the thing is, I have bought some of late and they never last long enough. So I go up to my parents, ask them if I can use my money to buy some more, and they say that I shouldn't invest my hard earned money in a game that is always bribing you to buy more.
I'd say I have to agree. It worries me, because while the content is fun now, eventually the game will shut down. Over the years, the hundreds of dollars that have accumulated into the game will become a waste. I am too scared to know the total amount of money that I have spent over the last five years on this game.

Personally, I am practically begging Kingsisle now to drop the price ranges. I want all this cool content, it is amazing! But why crowns? I wanna be able to get that huge whale mount from a boss, not spend thirty dollars to get it and some other useless loot. I am starting to remember why I left my old account in the first place. A lot of the cool content is becoming crowns only. I ask, why? More income? Certainly that is understandable, but I cannot help but cringe while looking at a thirty dollar trent mount in the Crowns Shop.

Kingsisle, this game back in 2009 was fun because of all the awesome content that was free. With millions of players paying a monthly or yearly subscription, can't you cut us some slack? After all, this is a family game, and I feel we are personally being looked at as big leather wallets. I love the game... But I am not sure how much longer I can go with these insane prices.

"Go without crowns! Kingsisle has provided a full game to play!"
If you have a flip-phone, but see the new I-phone, why don't you just stick with a flip phone? I mean, it can call, text, and even play games and music. You want to upgrade for a better experience and content. So do I.

In closure, if you have read this horribly long post, thank you. Kingsisle, coming from a hardcore fan, I beg you. Cut us customers some slack so I may enjoy all the beautiful content you have created. I m afraid otherwise I won't be able to get crowns anymore. Not that it matters. Millions of others will. I am just sad I can't enjoy so much of your content.

Thank You.

~Chase Stormflame lvl 72
"A storm is coming."

Survivor
Mar 13, 2012
I totally agree with this post and I wish they would put free stuff in the crown shop

Balance level 62

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
Ruthless Anthony on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:
Over the year across different accounts I have played, I have invested a lot of money and time into the game. I personally cannot get over the fact of exactly how much everything costs.
I want to buy crowns, but the thing is, I have bought some of late and they never last long enough. So I go up to my parents, ask them if I can use my money to buy some more, and they say that I shouldn't invest my hard earned money in a game that is always bribing you to buy more.
I'd say I have to agree. It worries me, because while the content is fun now, eventually the game will shut down. Over the years, the hundreds of dollars that have accumulated into the game will become a waste. I am too scared to know the total amount of money that I have spent over the last five years on this game.

Personally, I am practically begging Kingsisle now to drop the price ranges. I want all this cool content, it is amazing! But why crowns? I wanna be able to get that huge whale mount from a boss, not spend thirty dollars to get it and some other useless loot. I am starting to remember why I left my old account in the first place. A lot of the cool content is becoming crowns only. I ask, why? More income? Certainly that is understandable, but I cannot help but cringe while looking at a thirty dollar trent mount in the Crowns Shop.

Kingsisle, this game back in 2009 was fun because of all the awesome content that was free. With millions of players paying a monthly or yearly subscription, can't you cut us some slack? After all, this is a family game, and I feel we are personally being looked at as big leather wallets. I love the game... But I am not sure how much longer I can go with these insane prices.

"Go without crowns! Kingsisle has provided a full game to play!"
If you have a flip-phone, but see the new I-phone, why don't you just stick with a flip phone? I mean, it can call, text, and even play games and music. You want to upgrade for a better experience and content. So do I.

In closure, if you have read this horribly long post, thank you. Kingsisle, coming from a hardcore fan, I beg you. Cut us customers some slack so I may enjoy all the beautiful content you have created. I m afraid otherwise I won't be able to get crowns anymore. Not that it matters. Millions of others will. I am just sad I can't enjoy so much of your content.

Thank You.

~Chase Stormflame lvl 72
"A storm is coming."
Very nice post, and i agree with you. What really concers me is the price of card packs. 300-400 crowns doesn't look too much on first sight, but if you're looking for a certain item you have to buy a lot (i mean a LOT) of them. For example: when the tiki pack came out i fell in love with one of the new staffs. Decided to spend as much money, as needed to get one. I bought the largest crown pack, and thought it will be enough for the whole year.

Guess what. 47k crowns went on packs when i finally got the staff. I bought slippers of perfect poise and only got 8000 crowns left. I felt like KI made me a fool.

I'm sure there will be more pack only items, that are much better than any drop gear, and this fact demands a decision from players: invest money or satisfy with the worse dropped gear. This mentality has nothing to do with skills.

Please halve the price of card packs, and make a buy/day limit to REMOVE GAMBLING from the game. Also there should be a maximum limit of buyable card packs on each account. At your last purchase you should get the epic items of the pack. Every other solution means that KI SUPPORTS GAMBLING.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
I concur with everything you've said and i've recently purchased my very first card pack which if my memory doesn't fail me was around 399 crowns and was the hoard of the hydra pack the reason I brought it was for the hydra mount which I absolutely love(i'm also a balance witch)but most likely will never own because I refuse to throw money into a metaphorical dumpster for something I may never get anyways.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2013
You are totally not alone. Even though I am a member I feel pretty lame while all of my friends are on mounts and I am running all over trying to keep up. I want one and some epic robes, and maybe a staff, but my parents wont spend anymore money. Didja here that, KI? lower the freakin' prices!

Alia Winterwhisper

Survivor
Feb 21, 2011
Ok, so you do realize that by making things cheaper and for free KingsIsle loses money. Therefore, soon they may go out of business because they cannot afford to pay the employees such as programmers and graphic designers. When this happens, even though you got your cheaper and free items and worlds, you will not be able to use them because Wizard101 is shut down. I think that KingsIsle has people to calculate just how much each thing needs to be, and if you do not want to pay for it, do not spend your money. It is your choice to pay for things, and with this game, you might have to if you want to advance in the game. Therefore, pay the prices that they have, or stop complaining and find a new game!

Michael Goldenflame, Lvl 93

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
Mgold1234 on Jan 11, 2014 wrote:
Ok, so you do realize that by making things cheaper and for free KingsIsle loses money. Therefore, soon they may go out of business because they cannot afford to pay the employees such as programmers and graphic designers. When this happens, even though you got your cheaper and free items and worlds, you will not be able to use them because Wizard101 is shut down. I think that KingsIsle has people to calculate just how much each thing needs to be, and if you do not want to pay for it, do not spend your money. It is your choice to pay for things, and with this game, you might have to if you want to advance in the game. Therefore, pay the prices that they have, or stop complaining and find a new game!

Well, from personal experience across many MMO's, I have never seen such high prices for a game.
Kingsisle has over, what? 30 million? It has probably risen to around 50 million right now.
And we know at least about 10 to 20 million of them are probably paying. If each player from 10 to 20 million payed a one month membership that would be 100,000,000 to 200,000,000 a month. And they could have more or less paying subscribers. The point is, is that they are making millions a month, and you think that all of that profit JUST from subscriptions quickly runs out on the game? I understand the costs of paying employees, and running the servers, but does it all cost them 100,000,000 a month to run?
Now, the subscription part was WITHOUT crowns. Who knows how much more they are making with it.
Wizard101 has a long time before it shuts down I can promise you that. It is one of the most successful MMO's out there.

All I ask is simply for them to lower the prices for a more affordable adventure.

Thank you.

P.S. This thread in no way is a rant or mean message to Kingsisle. I am a player providing feedback.

Explorer
Dec 23, 2010
Balance princess on Jan 10, 2014 wrote:
I concur with everything you've said and i've recently purchased my very first card pack which if my memory doesn't fail me was around 399 crowns and was the hoard of the hydra pack the reason I brought it was for the hydra mount which I absolutely love(i'm also a balance witch)but most likely will never own because I refuse to throw money into a metaphorical dumpster for something I may never get anyways.
Gambling makes it so much more exciting. If everyone was able to get the hydra mount.. what fun is it? Yeah, I agree that it takes lots of money and time, but I love it!! I honestly do. When you open the pack and your rewards show up one by one, I think it makes me cling onto hope :) It really makes it special. Them feels. Haha :')

Defender
Dec 27, 2011
Mgold1234 on Jan 11, 2014 wrote:

Even though it's expensive I'm sure there's a reason for this.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Everything, without exception, that you can put money into is temporary. Transient. Short-term. There is not one thing that isn't. Your parents probably want you to think about putting your money into something that will help you out in the next stage of your life, whether that is a car, college, dating, business capital, etc. Playing a game is a good hobby, but doesn't directly get help you with those things.

KI's business model is one based on variable schedule conditioning. Basically, you do a behavior and sometimes get rewarded. You don't always get the reward from doing a behavior, but when you do, you become much more likely to keep performing that behavior. In this case, that's playing the game and buying more stuff. That's not evil, that's just a smart business model. That's a good way to ensure your customers keep coming back.

Some games don't dress this principle up at all and still turn a profit. I don't care for those, you can tell they really are just about the money. KI, however, puts a large amount of effort into development and taking feedback. This is a high quality platform that makes me not mind spending money on it. If one day it falls by the wayside and disappears to make way for the next big game, ok then, but I still have memories of having great times here.

Even though I have spent a lot, that money isn't just lost. Some benefits are less concrete and become more apparent over time. I have learned to be more patient, more observant, and I can make and execute strategies better than I could before, which in turn helps me in my personal life. I don't know any other game, school, or program I could enter that could do that for me.

What should this mean for you? For now, I suggest buying in moderation. Also, Wiz101 regularly has crowns specials as well as card pack sales, so there are built in ways to save. Maybe one day we can just buy the items and spells in the crowns shop, just not yet.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2011
I totally agree. I like just bought crowns, I bought a couple places. I used my last on Ancient Burial Grounds and suddenly, i have to go to the Village of Sorrow! Nooooooooooo. When a store has a sale, the prices are usually cheaper or you get more. It brings more people to the store. What I am saying is, even though the store is having cheap prices, more people buy the stuff, and the store gets more money. If something is $1 and 100,000 people buy it that $100,000! If the crowns prices are lowered a little bit, or you give more crowns for what you pay, maybe more people will buy it. Or, more areas and/or items or cheaper/free. I hope KI takes notice of this. This is just my opinion. Thanks!

Sean Rainbowhunter

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
natshadowbane on Jan 11, 2014 wrote:
Gambling makes it so much more exciting. If everyone was able to get the hydra mount.. what fun is it? Yeah, I agree that it takes lots of money and time, but I love it!! I honestly do. When you open the pack and your rewards show up one by one, I think it makes me cling onto hope :) It really makes it special. Them feels. Haha :')
Yeah gambling is fun....but not for little kids.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2014
I don't got a job yet so I'm sticking with member till I do! I will get 30 K crowns each purchase when I do have one so I can save them for packs and some cool mount.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Jerry Saibot on Jan 13, 2014 wrote:
Yeah gambling is fun....but not for little kids.
Card packs ARENT gambling. True you may not get what you wanted but you got something out of it either way. Kingsisle card packs are basically a standard card pack (like a yugioh card pack) you never know what's in the pack but your eager to open it and discover what you pulled.

What you pulled might have been what another player was looking for.