Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best PvP advice evar.

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Be classy, and respect your opponent. Win or lose graciously, and don't underestimate the other person.

The problem with most people in the arena (vets and above, specifically) is that they seem to think they are infallible. This is entirely untrue, as rank and level mean very little (though money talks).

Throughout history, arrogance has long been the downfall of many a great warrior. Similarly, once the majority of people in the Arena get a taste of victory or blood (an opponent's anger at being taunted), they develop an insatiable appetite for it; they get up on their high horses and overestimate their own skill, or they undermine the wrong wizard.

Some commander I fought once brought her friends into our match, to taunt from the sidelines, and they bullied me throughout the entire duel; some of the taunts were so disgusting that I put people on Ignore, and even reported a handful for swearing around the filters. But I didn't respond to them, and my balance private (yes, private) quickly and quietly handed the ringleader her first-ever loss: a blade-less judge that did 5K through a tower shield.

Her problem wasn't that she was bad at PvP. Her problem was that she assumed she was better than me. She didn't pay attention to the fact that she left me several openings, which I took full advantage of, thus costing herself the win. Needless to say, she ported as soon as the match was done, and the whole thing was summed up by a random person in the audience, who said, "ouch".

Yes, the truth is often painful, as that whole group found out the hard way.

-

So, to the high-ranked PvP elitists out there:

The next time you find yourself facing a private in the arena, I want you to think of that poor commander. Don't get sloppy, don't taunt your opponent, and don't think that a higher rank/level automatically makes you better than the person in front of you. You may find yourself on the receiving end of a rather-unpleasant surprise.

Happy holidays!
-von

Survivor
Jan 10, 2013
Dr Von on Dec 24, 2013 wrote:
Be classy, and respect your opponent. Win or lose graciously, and don't underestimate the other person.

The problem with most people in the arena (vets and above, specifically) is that they seem to think they are infallible. This is entirely untrue, as rank and level mean very little (though money talks).

Throughout history, arrogance has long been the downfall of many a great warrior. Similarly, once the majority of people in the Arena get a taste of victory or blood (an opponent's anger at being taunted), they develop an insatiable appetite for it; they get up on their high horses and overestimate their own skill, or they undermine the wrong wizard.

Some commander I fought once brought her friends into our match, to taunt from the sidelines, and they bullied me throughout the entire duel; some of the taunts were so disgusting that I put people on Ignore, and even reported a handful for swearing around the filters. But I didn't respond to them, and my balance private (yes, private) quickly and quietly handed the ringleader her first-ever loss: a blade-less judge that did 5K through a tower shield.

Her problem wasn't that she was bad at PvP. Her problem was that she assumed she was better than me. She didn't pay attention to the fact that she left me several openings, which I took full advantage of, thus costing herself the win. Needless to say, she ported as soon as the match was done, and the whole thing was summed up by a random person in the audience, who said, "ouch".

-

The next time you find yourself facing a private in the arena, I want you to think of that poor commander. Don't get sloppy, don't taunt your opponent, and don't think that a higher rank/level automatically makes you better than the person in front of you. You may find yourself on the receiving end of a rather-unpleasant surprise.

Happy holidays!
-von

well said

Squire
Feb 29, 2012

-

Happy holidays!
-von

Agreed. I try to use each loss as a learning and humbling point. I don't like to taunt my opponents and I find out that not doing so earns me more friends than it loses me. (Even from those who try to taunt me sometimes add me afterwards because a polite "Yes, I agree." and a port away often work wonders.)

Defender
Mar 08, 2013
That is totally true. I am a warlord on multiple characters and I hate when warlords and private alike are rude to people. Just because your rank says warlord, doesn't mean you have to brag about it. Same with privates, just because you don't know how or you don't like how pvp is run, doesn't mean you have to go saying that people are cheaters or that we are noobs because we hide behind our gear. There are as much rude privates out there as there are warlords.

Rude players are just trying to get you to react. Sometimes when I agree with them that I am a noob, the "entertainment" they have of being a bully goes away and they stop or start being friendly because they didn't get the reaction from me that they wanted.

I too occasionally underestimate a private and find myself losing. Being a warlord can sometimes intimidate your opponent to make mistakes and you can win. Also, choosing to stay a private can sometimes get the warlord to underestimate you and you can take advantage and win.

Survivor
Sep 11, 2012

-

Happy holidays!
-von

What's "evar?"

Champion
Oct 30, 2011

-

Happy holidays!
-von

If ranks and level mean very little, then isn't pvp based entirely on skill, and some people could be nearly infallible? Personally, I don't agree. I think that ranks mean a small amount, because you can only get the best gear at higher ranks. (at least for lower level) Level doesn't really matter up until a certain point, where it becomes impossible to do more damage than your opponent does to you, and you have less defense, as well. Naturally, this point is different for everyone, depending on how good their strategy and gear are. More often than not, when I see a private battling a warlord, the warlord wins. Generally, privates are only private because they either don't have much experience at pvp, don't pvp much, or don't have the best gear. Warlords are generally warlords because they have good gear and a good strategy. Usually, the privates only have the advantage of level, and that is not always enough to help them. I do not think that warlords should insult their opponents and think that they are going to win every time, though. Losses happen. Pvp is meant for fun, anyway. If you win every time and are not having fun, then it would probably be better to be doing something that you do find fun. If you lose often and are having fun, then pvp is probably a thing that you'll continually like doing, and if you do it enough, you'll get good at it. Just my thoughts.

Survivor
May 19, 2012
I agree. Personally I don't PVP that often. On occasion I will join a friend of mine and 2v2 because she wants company. When I do that I usually act more as a life then a myth because my heal percentage is so high. Many times I have been taunted or called a puppet because I'm just not that great lol. it is what it is. Hmmm... think I'm gonna go PVP lol

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
If ranks and level mean very little, then isn't pvp based entirely on skill, and some people could be nearly infallible? Personally, I don't agree. I think that ranks mean a small amount, because you can only get the best gear at higher ranks. (at least for lower level) Level doesn't really matter up until a certain point, where it becomes impossible to do more damage than your opponent does to you, and you have less defense, as well. Naturally, this point is different for everyone, depending on how good their strategy and gear are. More often than not, when I see a private battling a warlord, the warlord wins. Generally, privates are only private because they either don't have much experience at pvp, don't pvp much, or don't have the best gear. Warlords are generally warlords because they have good gear and a good strategy. Usually, the privates only have the advantage of level, and that is not always enough to help them. I do not think that warlords should insult their opponents and think that they are going to win every time, though. Losses happen. Pvp is meant for fun, anyway. If you win every time and are not having fun, then it would probably be better to be doing something that you do find fun. If you lose often and are having fun, then pvp is probably a thing that you'll continually like doing, and if you do it enough, you'll get good at it. Just my thoughts.
But PvP isn't entirely a skill game. Right now, I could hypothetically puppet my way to warlord in 2v2 and get all the requisite Warlord gear in under 3 days. No joke, Warlord rank can be reached in a single afternoon after approximately 22 consecutive wins. As a result, you can safely conclude that being Warlord doesn't perfectly correlate with skill, foresight, or strategy, and in a surprising number of cases Warlords play just like Privates but have more powerful toys.

I agree with Dr. Von: manners, ethics, thoughtfulness, and class are much, much harder to develop than rank or gear.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009

-

Happy holidays!
-von

"Be classy and respect your opponent"
Such simple advice yet so rarely followed. I highly agree with pretty much everything you said and it appears that many people tend to overlook that a rank doesn't mean you are better. I rarely journey into the depths of ranked pvp mainly because people can't be respectful no matter if they win or lose. Example from my experience. I was doing a ranked pvp match (I believe it was 1v1 or 2v2, can't remember exactly). Due to the fact that I was new to pvp and didn't get how crafty and ingenious some opponents could be, I used PVE strategies and wound up losing pretty badly. Now, like I normally do on these rare forays, I offered the victor a good game and congrats. In response this person was continually going on and on about how I was a noob, how I never had a chance at winning and they couldn't lose. Unfortunately no one was around that would be able to teach the player the valuable lesson of not overestimating their skills. I laughed at these insults mainly because I had learned long ago to not respond to them but I have seen other examples on these forums where wizards have been bullied either due to the fact that they won, lost or even by those in the sidelines and it seems most of us could learn the lesson that von has posted here.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Lucas Rain on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
But PvP isn't entirely a skill game. Right now, I could hypothetically puppet my way to warlord in 2v2 and get all the requisite Warlord gear in under 3 days. No joke, Warlord rank can be reached in a single afternoon after approximately 22 consecutive wins. As a result, you can safely conclude that being Warlord doesn't perfectly correlate with skill, foresight, or strategy, and in a surprising number of cases Warlords play just like Privates but have more powerful toys.

I agree with Dr. Von: manners, ethics, thoughtfulness, and class are much, much harder to develop than rank or gear.
It depends on how much rank you're talking about. Eventually, puppets will start losing, because they'll have such high rating that they'll battle 2 people the higher level puppet's level. And yes, it is possible to get to warlord in an afternoon. I've done it several times; pvp is very much about skill, but I agree with you, there are some factors such as cheating and luck. (Pets, puppetting, a glitch to lose no rating, although I think that got patched, and critical) Kingsisle has tried to fix some of these factors, but unfortunately, no luck so far. As for warlords fighting like privates, I haven't seen any of that, but that might just be chance. Generally, from what I've seen, warlords defeat privates. I know it's true when I pvp, most of the time.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
Sigh, it annoys me very much when people think they are better than others because of pixelated words below their name. I have a couple warlords and a commander but I don't let it change how I act. I lost some close friends because they let their high rank change their personality.

I only met a few people who doesn't "pride" in their rankings, especially warlords. Yes, it's nice to gain a high rank but it's no reason to think you are better than others.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2013
I really don't like how i'm a level 41 death private and have to go against a fire or storm or myth any school my level I mean it's ok if they were private but no their my level and their warlords and I;m just a private how can I get my pvp rank up like this?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
K, so Monquistans78 missed the point of this post like my newbie storm wizard misses her target.

(No worries, Monq: Dr. Von simply likes to make up her own words or intentionally misspell existing ones; the only way you will ever see a typo from me is if I've done it on purpose, because I am clearly a horrible human being... and because, every time you make a typo, the errorists win).

I'm glad to see a healthy discussion taking place here, rather than a full-blown argument (disagreement=/=argument, just saying). Just like in PvE, the rift between the casual pvp'ers and the hardcore/professional set is slowly tearing the community apart at the seams, and that is what's hurting the game the most.

As I said once before: if I lose, them I'm a failure and don't deserve to be in the arena. If I win, then I'm a tc spammer/noob or a cheated. If I say 'good game', then I'm taunting you; if not, I'm an elitist jerk. I just wish there wasn't such a double standard... it makes me sad, and it makes me hate that place more and more.

PS: to the person who said that 'warlords usually beat privates'...

Well, of course, they do. They have elite gear, perfect pets, mastery amulets (I haven't lost to someone without one) and boatloads of experience... the list goes on, versus someone who's just starting out. Yes, there is an element of luck involved, and experience helps, but someone who can't or won't spend real cash is at a severe disadvantage. And that's what KI is actively promoting: it's tough to get ahead unless you already are, which limits the number of warlords to a select few elite players who have poured countless dollars into the game, thus inspiring more people to pay for a chance at the title.

Paying real money to win eliminates any and all strategy from the game; hence why I say that rank doesn't matter: it can easily be bought, whereas strategy and skill cannot.

-von

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
I hate it when they dance at the beginning of pvp because they think they will win just by looking at my rank, so thank you wizard 101 for making deer knight, lord of night, and Catalan.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Dr Von on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
K, so Monquistans78 missed the point of this post like my newbie storm wizard misses her target.

(No worries, Monq: Dr. Von simply likes to make up her own words or intentionally misspell existing ones; the only way you will ever see a typo from me is if I've done it on purpose, because I am clearly a horrible human being... and because, every time you make a typo, the errorists win).

I'm glad to see a healthy discussion taking place here, rather than a full-blown argument (disagreement=/=argument, just saying). Just like in PvE, the rift between the casual pvp'ers and the hardcore/professional set is slowly tearing the community apart at the seams, and that is what's hurting the game the most.

As I said once before: if I lose, them I'm a failure and don't deserve to be in the arena. If I win, then I'm a tc spammer/noob or a cheated. If I say 'good game', then I'm taunting you; if not, I'm an elitist jerk. I just wish there wasn't such a double standard... it makes me sad, and it makes me hate that place more and more.

PS: to the person who said that 'warlords usually beat privates'...

Well, of course, they do. They have elite gear, perfect pets, mastery amulets (I haven't lost to someone without one) and boatloads of experience... the list goes on, versus someone who's just starting out. Yes, there is an element of luck involved, and experience helps, but someone who can't or won't spend real cash is at a severe disadvantage. And that's what KI is actively promoting: it's tough to get ahead unless you already are, which limits the number of warlords to a select few elite players who have poured countless dollars into the game, thus inspiring more people to pay for a chance at the title.

Paying real money to win eliminates any and all strategy from the game; hence why I say that rank doesn't matter: it can easily be bought, whereas strategy and skill cannot.

-von
Actually, I said that warlords beat privates up until a certain point, when privates' damage and defense completely overcomes the warlord's. Not all warlords have good gear. I have seen warlords with the same gear as privates. Warlords are warlords because they have strategy, skill, foresight, and good gear. When lower level warlords start battling people with critical, usually, that's the point when they start losing, because of a huge disadvantage. Honestly, I find that the pvp system is a lot more unfair to warlords than it is to privates. At least privates battle people that are lower level.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2013
I just worried adout advice cause I im private to lose captian andwarlords not fair

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
A similar but less severe thing happened when I was facing a warlord who was a slightly higher level than me. His friends from the sideline kept calling me a noob and laughed at me when he spammed mana burn on me, saying "OOH he thought he was gonna Efreet". Then I was able to get the pips shortly after and blast him with a single charmed up Efreet. (I am a Private by the way and I admit I am not good at PvP). But they all ported right away when he lost and did not say a word.

Lots of people taunt me and I ignore them (with the button of course). I acknowledge an opponent's strengths and their advantages on the field (unless they are outright rude). But I also meet up with polite people in the arena and we become friends. Some people have even given me tips to become a better duelist while battling me. Being courteous in the arena is a good thing. I doesn't matter if you're a warlord (especially when you use that horrid PvP exploit).

Don't call them pathetic. Don't call them a noob. Don't call them anything you don't want to be called. In the arena, don't brag about your rank because it can always drop to the rock bottom.

Luke Spritehammer- Currently a Level 64 Legendary in Zafaria

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
Luke Spritehammer on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
A similar but less severe thing happened when I was facing a warlord who was a slightly higher level than me. His friends from the sideline kept calling me a noob and laughed at me when he spammed mana burn on me, saying "OOH he thought he was gonna Efreet". Then I was able to get the pips shortly after and blast him with a single charmed up Efreet. (I am a Private by the way and I admit I am not good at PvP). But they all ported right away when he lost and did not say a word.

Lots of people taunt me and I ignore them (with the button of course). I acknowledge an opponent's strengths and their advantages on the field (unless they are outright rude). But I also meet up with polite people in the arena and we become friends. Some people have even given me tips to become a better duelist while battling me. Being courteous in the arena is a good thing. I doesn't matter if you're a warlord (especially when you use that horrid PvP exploit).

Don't call them pathetic. Don't call them a noob. Don't call them anything you don't want to be called. In the arena, don't brag about your rank because it can always drop to the rock bottom.

Luke Spritehammer- Currently a Level 64 Legendary in Zafaria
the same thing happened to me i was in a battle with someone who has a guy in the stands so he would know my every move and then he just kept using blades and left himself wide open for a critical wraith. after i beat him he called me a noob and kept saying "how did i lose to a noob like you." and i said "how am i a noob for using my own spells my own crafted gear and my trained pet." and he said "i don't know " so if this is how most pvpers think then they just call us noobs because they can. and the guy learned his lesson after the next five battles we had.

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011

-

Happy holidays!
-von

Von, this is why I love your posts! Couldn't have said it better. Now yes, lots of Warlords are stuck up (I try not to be one and fail sometimes admittedly). When you reach Warlord, you can become stuck up and caught up in your success. Never underestimate a private. What if he is a genius who JUST started PvP? What would you do then? I have been beaten by privates who I underestimated. Its not uncommon. But, I also want privates to behave when I beat them..I'm up for saying GG, even when I lose. But when someone says: "oh wow you're lucky I didn't..." it just makes me mad. A private who talks smack to a lower level Warlord is no better than a Warlord who looks down on a Private. I'm just gonna say it now, I love to make friends in the arena..in fact most of my friends are the people I met in the battle circle who are nice enough to say GG back to me.

Just remember what happened to the Nazgul who said "I can be beaten by no man" he was then surprised by getting beaten by a woman. (Please get the reference)

Expect the unexpected,
Wolf SkullSlinger and Legend

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010

-

Happy holidays!
-von

Hi Von,

couldn't agree with you more. When I play ranked PVP , sometimes I really don't care that much about winning, I am playing to have fun. Sometimes I am focusing and really trying, other times I am playing while watching TV, questing with other wizards or chatting up friends. I have always done ranked, figure win or lose I still get experience, learn a few things and get tickets. But the taunting and rude behavior can get downright nasty.

I had one wizard, a girl, who would state she reported you if you won! I think she used it as an intimidation tactic against other players who might not understand reporting. Now she never really reported me, as no screen came up from KI stating that, but she used it as an intimidation tactic against all her opponents. Sad and cowardly on her part & I hope she recognizes herself in this if she reads the boards. I just laughed at her after she said she reported me and said for what? LOL as I knew nothing reportable had been done on my part.