Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Thank You KI For the Slap In The Face

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 11, 2011
I just got my uber rare Fragmented Dragon to Mega level.

At that point it was perfect (6% Damage, 6% Death Damage, 5% Resist, 10% Resist).

Guess what I got after 3 weeks or training? (no I dont use crowns for snacks).

Tenacious (a Pet Derby Trait)

Are you kidding me?

Survivor
May 01, 2011
I know what u mean! I think KI should really rethink how we have to train these pets and the cost involved! To do all that and end up with a fail at the end just rots :P I spent days and and days and way more mega packs than wanted to buy (not to mention energy elixers) to train my pet to mega and got a vengence card for my troubles. Needless to say I was not happy.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
I don't see why Tenacious is bad at all. Tenacious boosts the maximum Strength on the pet by 50, which increases the resist to a higher percent.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Don't you wish you could delete the talent? Just so you don't have to look at it and be reminded of the anger and frustration!

One of my favorite pets reached epic and got a useless card talent. I got so frustrated every time I saw the useless card show-up in my spell deck during battle I just had to retire the pet. Grrrr. I wish I could have just deleted the talent and continued training to Mega.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Its weird that its called "Pet Training".

Who trains their real world pet to do something we don't like??? I don't train my real-world dog to eat slippers or slobber on the couch!

What is the magical concept behind Wizard101 pets learning talents we have no desire for them to learn? It doesn't make sense. And why can't we train the undesirable behaviours out of our pets?

Survivor
Jun 11, 2011
Tenacious is a waste, I have max resists already, would rather have a Storm Resist over Tenacious

Survivor
May 01, 2011
I'm with u rottenheart, we should be able to get rid of the talent we dont want :P And some of us dont want the pet race talents at all! Tenacious? who cares if ur pet is faster???? At mega it should give resist of some kind :P

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
RottenHeart on Apr 5, 2013 wrote:
Its weird that its called "Pet Training".

Who trains their real world pet to do something we don't like??? I don't train my real-world dog to eat slippers or slobber on the couch!

What is the magical concept behind Wizard101 pets learning talents we have no desire for them to learn? It doesn't make sense. And why can't we train the undesirable behaviours out of our pets?
"I don't train my real-world dog to eat slippers or slobber on the couch! "
You don't? Wait, no one does? Well, I feel out of place...

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
Those actually aren't the maximum, Spell-Defy's maximum is 7% while Spell-Proof's max is 14%

Explorer
Dec 02, 2010
I feel you completely. I hate when my pets, out of all of the hard work I put into training it, get a lame talent. The level 78 pets were just all-around bad because of selfish talents. I honestly think that selfish talents need to be removed from pets completely. People may disagree that it would make pets too perfect but that's nonsense in my opinion. Anybody who knows anything about pet talents will tell you that some pet talents are more useful and wanted than others (example: May Cast Life Trap is more wanted than Life-Proof or Fire-Giver is more desired than Mana Gift) and even if KI removed all selfish talents, there's still a chance that your pet will manifest lame talents (school-specific "-Proof" and some card-giving talents would fall under that).

Survivor
Nov 13, 2010
I would like to agree with these comments. I have had two pets get crafty (ugh) really? And a had one get -15% fortify!? None of these pets showed any sign of these talents in the parents. All of these examples had proof and defy on both parents, but only got one of those talents and got these weird talents in there place. It would be greatly appreciated if these "pet derby talents" are not allowed to develop at mega. Really KI it just isn't right, hate to say that but true Such a waste of very valuable time! Really love the game! Thank you for reading. Jasmine BlueHeart

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
The Whistler on Apr 4, 2013 wrote:
I just got my uber rare Fragmented Dragon to Mega level.

At that point it was perfect (6% Damage, 6% Death Damage, 5% Resist, 10% Resist).

Guess what I got after 3 weeks or training? (no I dont use crowns for snacks).

Tenacious (a Pet Derby Trait)

Are you kidding me?
I feel that one, however i dont get selfish talents since i only self hatch. I get junk like a pet with proof, defy, unicorn, 70 trap, mc tower.

I just want to make some pets with proof, defy, sprite, fairy, mc tower

I keep getting fails

proof, defy, sprite, fairy, unicorn
proof, batsi sprite, fairy, unicorn

etc...

I cant even tell you how many fails i had at mega at this point, for a while i was taking 2-3 pets a week to mega i slowed down. Getting board with the game, seems like since the head idea man resigned new content and such came to a halt.

Also the crowns for snacks bit? garden is the best way hands down supplemented with mirror lake runs its not bad. (take a noob through GH, you can get potato seeds) Even with no mega just using 6 point shop snacks i still do 200-250 on a pet a day. I use grub guardian there is one map that gives you 3 points for doing nothing plus your snack and its faster than any in game games that would give you 4 points plus snack. ( the only slow down is the epic to mega crawl) If a pet is worthy enough to become mega :-)

had yet another fail trying to get that perfect pet, red ghost 10/5 unicorn, fairy, cast tower wow got dang unicorn at mega not sprite annoying.

I want sprite over unicorn it cast much more often :-) IT wont go away LOL

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
Dominooooo on Apr 5, 2013 wrote:
I don't see why Tenacious is bad at all. Tenacious boosts the maximum Strength on the pet by 50, which increases the resist to a higher percent.
Also, if you hatch this pet, than the new pet will also have increased strength, which could be useful.

Haley MoonHeart, Archmage Thaumagture

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Dominooooo on Apr 5, 2013 wrote:
Not many avid pet hatchers get excited about getting bottom-of-the-barrel talents. The point of hatching and training over-and-over is to develop a better pet. The time invested in taking a pet to mega is quite large, and if it doesn't result in a better pet*... well thats disappointing.

*better pet: a pet that is better than the parents you started with.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Haley MoonHeart on Apr 8, 2013 wrote:
Also, if you hatch this pet, than the new pet will also have increased strength, which could be useful.

Haley MoonHeart, Archmage Thaumagture
Actually, that increased strength will not transfer to any hatchings. Those type of selfish talents that boosts stats stay with that pet, unfortunately.

Survivor
May 01, 2011
Yes, a pet should be better then the parents! Thats why we hatch and rehatch :P If you can't get a better pet then the parents it came from than why are we bothering? Ugh, very frustrating.
Thx KI for the one day of mega sale, hope all saw it - was over so quickly :P Personally I think even the sale price is a bit steep for what you get :S

Defender
Aug 01, 2011
Why do you get traits that are not from the parents anyways? That's a complete rip-off. I still love this game but I think you should get talents that the parents have. Not just a random trait. Also its good to be back.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
jasminewillow687 on Apr 11, 2013 wrote:
Yes, a pet should be better then the parents! Thats why we hatch and rehatch :P If you can't get a better pet then the parents it came from than why are we bothering? Ugh, very frustrating.
Thx KI for the one day of mega sale, hope all saw it - was over so quickly :P Personally I think even the sale price is a bit steep for what you get :S
Who buys mega snacks though? Must be nice :-) I use to fall for that trap when I garden its more than enough to mega 2-3 pets a week. Now garden is seeds in bank got tired of having to log in or lose it all. Now to mega a 1 pet with bazaar only snacks and not using energy bottles from grub it takes 1.5-2 weeks to baby-mega 1 pet

If your going to spend crowns on megas you might want to invest in EMP or something so you have an investment in your future snacks. ( get packs for energy gear when offline for example)

Cheers.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I agree that there needs to be a better way to deal with training a pet to Mega. I've yet to get a pet to Mega and be happy with it's talent. I've mostly given up on training pets at all these days.

Maybe they should give us a couple choices of talents when you get a pet to Mega?

Or like somebody said in an earlier post, maybe have a way to "de-train" a certain talent on a pet and try again. It could be something like train 500 points to lose a certain talent.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
As a player who has spent way way too much time and energy playing this game (a personal problem - I know - and one which is attested to by the fact that every one of my characters has extra houses to accommodate all the pets I have in various levels of training and breeding attempts.) I feel your pain and frustration.

Many times in Test Realm and several times on different threads of the Message Boards here at Wizard101, I've asked for a couple items that would reduce the sting of Pet Training gone awry.

1. Pet Talent Charm Necklace - A Crown or Bundle Item that is a pet accessory. Equipping the Charm Necklace nullifies the expression of the trained talents and when you equip a charm it adds a specific talent into expression. Now that we can have 5 expressed talents there would be 5 charm slots that you may or may not have filled. Each charm is purchasable separately or in packs. A player would want many charms. We all have favorite pets. Wouldn't it be nice to choose the talents it has and uses in battle based on whether we're helping a newbie in Krokotopia or only have 1 friend with us for the Winter Tusk dungeon or trying to see if we can solo all the major battles of CL? I think it would be little different than when we change our characters gear I said charm necklace because it would be weird to use a collar or leash on a sprite.

2. Pet Training Kiosk - A Crown or Bundle Item that takes Crowns to use but multiplies the value of running the actual game. So if you play a game and earned 3 points you'd usually add 3 pet xp plus your snack you fed it. But in this case if you paid the crowns that run would be multiplied. Maybe you added 10 crowns to make it X 10 runs of the game so it's 3 points X 10 crown runs = 30 pet xp added to the pet progress when you only spent the time it took to play once. It could have several settings 10 crowns 25 crowns and 50 crowns.

The amount would have to be cheap enough to make it worth it to the player but attractive enough to KI. My thought is that when you buy a Crown Pack you rarely use all the Crowns - I always have change. I'd gladly spend it on Crown Runs in a Pet Training Kiosk rather than saving them for the months until I can buy another pack. For KI it means that when I do, I've already spent the money and can't add it to another purchase...I'd be starting from 0 again. Also, if it's cheap enough to make a meaningful impact on my time I'd definately buy lots of $5 packs instead of always waiting for the big bundle to go on sale and to cross with my having $60 to spend on ... sorry, but, to spend on trivia. I never buy small packs because of the price compared to what I can get but I wouldn't think twice about blowing $5 to level up a pet to Mega fast and relatively easily. As many pets as I have waiting for training that is a lot of 5 dollar bills flying at KI.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
If you wanted a pet without worthless talents then you should have spent some time hatching before you start training. Even then it is still just chance, you may not get exactly the talents that you want but you improve your chances.
Once I have a pet that has the talents that I want (and the second choice tallents if I don't get the first choice) I hatch multiples of it and start training to adult one at a time. All the pets that have two of the first choice talents I keep and trash the rest. I rase the remaining to the next level and trash the ones that didn't give me one of my first choice of tallents. By the end I usually have 3 or 4 pets that have 4 of the 5 talents that I am looking for. I may get a perfect 5 talents pet or not but even with a second choice talent It's still pretty good. I will never get a pet durby talent because it was never a posibility when I start training. Whichever is the best out of the remaining pets I keep.

You shouldn't complain about getting what you didn't want when you didn't put in the preperation or the work.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Ghost stone on Apr 14, 2013 wrote:
If you wanted a pet without worthless talents then you should have spent some time hatching before you start training. Even then it is still just chance, you may not get exactly the talents that you want but you improve your chances.
Once I have a pet that has the talents that I want (and the second choice tallents if I don't get the first choice) I hatch multiples of it and start training to adult one at a time. All the pets that have two of the first choice talents I keep and trash the rest. I rase the remaining to the next level and trash the ones that didn't give me one of my first choice of tallents. By the end I usually have 3 or 4 pets that have 4 of the 5 talents that I am looking for. I may get a perfect 5 talents pet or not but even with a second choice talent It's still pretty good. I will never get a pet durby talent because it was never a posibility when I start training. Whichever is the best out of the remaining pets I keep.

You shouldn't complain about getting what you didn't want when you didn't put in the preperation or the work.
My understanding is a pet has 10 potential talents, any of which can be realized through training. There is a higher probability of realizing talents that the parents have, but you can still get any of the 10.

Starting with two first gen parents, hatching a succession of pets to guarantee all 10 talents are desirable (as you are suggesting) is a staggering feat which some players might do, but most players are not up to (seriously... do the math!). Particularly as we have multiple wizards with a couple different pets. I realize once you have one perfect pet with guaranteed background talents its mathematically easier to develop a 2nd pet from first gen. But the time to do this far exceeds the percieved gaming benifits and many of us do not consider a reasonable or enjoyable gaming task.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
In real life, animal breeding was a hit or miss operation, but as we observed how traits carried from parent to child, we got better and better at breeding animals with the traits we wanted. However, we did not have completely control over the process, and hundreds of years and countless generations later, we are still working to breed out unwanted characteristics.

The alternative would be to dive in and directly modify the genetic code.

So, with this as our model for Wizard 101, why do you think deleting a single trait is in any way realistic?

Furthermore, let's face it, having goals you can approach by measures, but with a randomizing element thrown in, is a proven way to keep a game interesting.

If you think you should be able to just plunk down some Gold and instantly aquire a pet with exactly the traits you want, then you are spoiled. You have to work to get good things in life, and Wizard 101 is no different.

Successful people do something about getting what they want. Losers just whine about not getting it.

Which will you be?

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
marinersk,

You are confusing genetics with behavioural training. In real life genetics provide capacities and aptitudes. Behavioural training is used to focus an animals behaviour.

If you want to apply real-life selective breeding and training then the 10 potential talents represent genetic capabilities. Training is used to realize the desired behaviours in an animal.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
RottenHeart on Apr 15, 2013 wrote:
marinersk,

You are confusing genetics with behavioural training. In real life genetics provide capacities and aptitudes. Behavioural training is used to focus an animals behaviour.

If you want to apply real-life selective breeding and training then the 10 potential talents represent genetic capabilities. Training is used to realize the desired behaviours in an animal.
RottenHeart,

You are confusing training a real life pet with training a pet in Wizard 101, which causes thet pet to reveal what is in its DNA. The DNA symbol is used to represent the Pedigree, and the Pedigree is the sum of the values of the talents.

Training in W101 is not attempting to realize desired behaviors in the pet. It is growing the pet so it reveals what parts of its DNA have been inherited.

However -- W101 definitely helps with this confusion by using the term "training" to describe the process.

But enough has been shown, through testing and good record keeping, about how the Talents manifest. It is definitely revealing talents which were selected at birth, not encouraging a pet to adopt a behavior from its environment.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm