Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

If I knew then what I know now...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 18, 2013
The list of things I've learned now that I wish i knew before is HUGE. :) The basic stuff like everyone has already mentioned.

(And I'm only just up to Zafaria)

- Treasure cards: I wish I knew which ones were most useful, and how to make them myself. And I wish I knew where to buy them, rather than scrounging them from the Bazaar. -- The "Tough" treasure card is especially useful at low level.

- Pet Training, Gardening, Crafting - are all worth doing, and there are ways to do it that will dramatically increase it's effectiveness.
- I still have very little idea what pet to aim for, or how to hatch one. And learned it's worth buying the Rank 5-6 snacks from Bazaar/shops to train your pet.
- Gardening is worth doing from level 10: Pink Dandelions are a great start (Drop all over Krokotopia), and building plots in a circle to make use of med/large gardening spells. -- Higher level areas drop plants that give vital reagents for crafting.
- Crafting becomes useful at level 56, when wintertusk/Grizzleheim gives recipes for gear that's better than anything else for the next 20 levels. (You need to be Grandmaster Crafter). And by Zafaria you can get crafting recipies for even better spells. -- And I wish I knew which Reagents were near impossible to find/buy, and vital in all high level recipies (eg. Sandstone, Sunstone, Aether)

- I wish I knew spells of same name but different percentage stack. (itemspells and known spells)

... I better get back to work.. more later.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
I wish I had known that there were actual schools for balance and death. I had seen that balance and death teachers in Ravenwood had less spells to teach, so I avoided those schools, up until I had learned that there were actual schools for them, but not in Ravenwood. Now I know how awesome balance is, as it is my secondary school and is always a life saver with Spectral blast.

Explorer
Jun 20, 2009
Four years after I signed up, I discovered that the best game in history was waiting right behind the gates of Firecat Alley, Cyclops Lane, and Colossus Boulevard. I drifted away and back to Wizard101 several times before inserting the dough, and then my little bro started paying and got as far as Krokotopia. I thought it was so cool! Eventually, I started paying, and now, I play it whenever I can. Sadly, my time is limited to two hours Friday, two hours Saturday, and two hours Sunday. On the bright side, it gives me something to look forward to all week!

Marissa BattleFlame
Adept Theurgist

Survivor
Jul 25, 2009
At first i was so confused how to use treasure cards i had to look it up then i was so mad because i t was so simple.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
The layering of the cards. For example the Colossal spell. I've been watching videos that players posted. They actually helped me step up my game and gave me a new hunger to move on.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
I wish I had known about the Bazaar - my first wizard would have had such nice things by level 5.

I also wish I had known how important it is to train your pet. And to have the right pet for your school. And not to let them run around in your house because the only way to get them back is to pick up everything.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2012
When I first started on w101 I only used training points on 1 school. The I wanted to pvp.....and well not so good. Thank you KI for letting people buy points back

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
Professor Greyrose on Dec 4, 2012 wrote:
What have you learned in Wizard101 that you wish you'd known when you first started playing?

Wish you'd known more about how to put Treasure Cards in your Deck, or how to Discard & Draw Treasure Cards?

Tell us the little lessons you've learned along the way that you wish you'd known earlier in your journey through the Spiral.
Yes, I do wish I knew how to use treasure cards! I learned it in Krokotopia. They really helped! I also wish I had known more about gear status.

Destiny Windgem, level 30 diviner

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
NZScruffy on Apr 11, 2013 wrote:
The list of things I've learned now that I wish i knew before is HUGE. :) The basic stuff like everyone has already mentioned.

(And I'm only just up to Zafaria)

- Treasure cards: I wish I knew which ones were most useful, and how to make them myself. And I wish I knew where to buy them, rather than scrounging them from the Bazaar. -- The "Tough" treasure card is especially useful at low level.

- Pet Training, Gardening, Crafting - are all worth doing, and there are ways to do it that will dramatically increase it's effectiveness.
- I still have very little idea what pet to aim for, or how to hatch one. And learned it's worth buying the Rank 5-6 snacks from Bazaar/shops to train your pet.
- Gardening is worth doing from level 10: Pink Dandelions are a great start (Drop all over Krokotopia), and building plots in a circle to make use of med/large gardening spells. -- Higher level areas drop plants that give vital reagents for crafting.
- Crafting becomes useful at level 56, when wintertusk/Grizzleheim gives recipes for gear that's better than anything else for the next 20 levels. (You need to be Grandmaster Crafter). And by Zafaria you can get crafting recipies for even better spells. -- And I wish I knew which Reagents were near impossible to find/buy, and vital in all high level recipies (eg. Sandstone, Sunstone, Aether)

- I wish I knew spells of same name but different percentage stack. (itemspells and known spells)

... I better get back to work.. more later.
I can't agree more with your post. New players must seriously read it. Although I used Key Limes to quickly earn XP to level up in gardening and earn coins as well.

I used to run Mirror Lake all the time to get pixies and earn coins for pet training and hatching. After I learned how to craft and garden, everything else fell into place. No more need for time consuming ML runs, you just need to check your plants a few minutes of your time two to three times a day. Gardening gives enough coins and pet snacks for training/hatching pets, rare reagents like amber and recipe ingredients (yes, even TC cards) for crafting spells and finishing crafting quests. Crafting allows one to level up with ease by upgrading gears and in my case craft special spells like the Deer Knight spell.

Survivor
Mar 12, 2013
Wish I knew that I was wasting my time stacking straight damage bonuses instead of percentage bonuses. Took me until level 15 that I realized I shouldn't waste time on those items.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2011
I wish I knew that there is an option to turn on overhead names of almost everything in Wizard101. I find this particularly useful when trying to go through an area while avoiding being pulled into a battle.
A lot of times, I find myself surprised to bump into an enemy because I didn't see them coming. With the overhead names enabled, enemies' names can easily be seen since they're visible even in a distance.

Defender
May 29, 2009
I wish I knew how training points worked, I got to lvl 8 then noticed people casting spells that weren't from their school. I asked them how then they explained treasure cards

Anthony Ashcatcher lv70

Defender
May 29, 2009
TheNecromancyKing on Jun 8, 2013 wrote:
I wish I knew how training points worked, I got to lvl 8 then noticed people casting spells that weren't from their school. I asked them how then they explained treasure cards

Anthony Ashcatcher lv70
I meant training points not treasure cards lol.

Anthony Ashcatcher lv73