Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet adoption

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 04, 2010
I have a perfect idea. So, I have an overload of pets and i honestly only use about one or two, so how about the makers and the bright staff of wizard 101 create a pet adoption center. Any player of the game can give unused or unwanted pets up for adoption, and once a player on the game is interested in the pet they may adopt them, but for a price. Each pet will be put up with a certain cost depending on their skills and age.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
I love this idea.

If it were in the game about 2 years ago my mom might never have quit playing - but the frustration factor of trying to work up pets or playing with one that wasn't very helpful was just too much. My sister and I tried to help by basically doing most of it for her, but when you are dealing with a new account it still takes a long time and a lot of hatch, fail,grind for gold, re-hatch... get some hope, fail, grind for gold re-hatch ... and that roller-coaster was not worth it to her. It's kind of sad cause otherwise she loved the game and we had fun playing together.

Also, besides older people, or people who don't have the time to sink into the side parts of the game - there are kids who don't have the time, money, concentration or whatever. I'd gladly give up many of my mediocre pets who were half or almost right to get someone else started. And sometimes I'd give up a golden one. I do have more than I play with - I just like working on it for different combinations of good stuff. For a while it was all about Sprite, Shot, Proof, Pain-Giver and now I'm working on Unicorn, Fairy Friend, Defy and School Damages & Accuracy. Who knows what will be next?

And all those Mega Snacks, Energy Elixers, Card, Crown, drop and hatch pets are just running around my many yards - hanging out. I've already spent money and time on them...so for KI they represent a null investment. But how many kids, busy parents that would play a few hours a week but not sit and deal with pet raising - and less patient grand parents would be avid players if they just had a decently helpful pet? I'm going to be pet working as long as I play this game - but there might be a largely untapped market for KI if they'd add this to the game.

Survivor
Sep 28, 2013
sarbear0602 on Jul 2, 2015 wrote:
I have a perfect idea. So, I have an overload of pets and i honestly only use about one or two, so how about the makers and the bright staff of wizard 101 create a pet adoption center. Any player of the game can give unused or unwanted pets up for adoption, and once a player on the game is interested in the pet they may adopt them, but for a price. Each pet will be put up with a certain cost depending on their skills and age.
that is a good idea!

Explorer
Feb 23, 2012
Woah never expect to hear this idea get mentioned but I like it ,seems like some people could not only hatch but even give older pets to other fellow wizards such as a fail pet that will just never be used.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
What a great idea! I have so many ancient, epic, and even a few mega pets that didn't end up being what I was hoping for, but they might be exactly what another wizard needs. I also hope KI takes this suggestion to heart.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2012
Wow! You guys are so awesome at making such cool and inventive ideas! :D I think that's the best ever to do considering I do have a lot of pets and sometimes it takes up my house space. A pet adoption center would be great I'd love for my pet to be adopted by a nice owner!

Survivor
Sep 07, 2014
I love this idea so much! W101 should definitely have this!

But I would like to suggest a few things:

- You don't want people abusing the system! I mean, you don't want people to take all of your pets at the adoption center in a day, right? In saying this, there should be a limit to the adoption. Maybe one or two pet/pets per... 2 weeks? A month?

- Like any other adoption center, there should be a description for the pet. There should be a note beside your pet in the adoption center where it explains your pet, just to make things clear :3

- The adoption center must have security. We all know that there's just going to be these two wizards fighting over a Carnation Pixie!

I hope this idea comes true! I support you and your idea all the way <3

Cori ShadowDust
Kelly (in training to become exalted)

Survivor
Jun 16, 2012
this is an amazing idea! that would make pets so much easier. though it does take time to level up pets, they should not be super cheap and you shouldn't be able to buy one that seems way too high for your level. other than that, as long as pricing is fair, it should be a great hit! i would love for this to be added in the game

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
kelly is awesome on Jul 4, 2015 wrote:
I love this idea so much! W101 should definitely have this!

But I would like to suggest a few things:

- You don't want people abusing the system! I mean, you don't want people to take all of your pets at the adoption center in a day, right? In saying this, there should be a limit to the adoption. Maybe one or two pet/pets per... 2 weeks? A month?

- Like any other adoption center, there should be a description for the pet. There should be a note beside your pet in the adoption center where it explains your pet, just to make things clear :3

- The adoption center must have security. We all know that there's just going to be these two wizards fighting over a Carnation Pixie!

I hope this idea comes true! I support you and your idea all the way <3

Cori ShadowDust
Kelly (in training to become exalted)
I don't think these things should be too hard to deal with.

For one thing they could use an interface that's a combination of the hatching sigel & Bazaar. Choose a tab for all unicorns or all Carnation Pixies and then hop the sigel to see the petnome card for each pet of that species. Flip till you find one you like the look of and instead of "Hatch" you hit a button for "Adopt." Then either you get an announcement (like in the Bazaar) that that pet's already been adopted OR you get the success message like at the end of hatching and the pet goes in your backpack.

If they can tell who in the Bazaar has bought the only available Fine Wood Table - they will know who got that Carnation Pixie. And just like when we buy something or hatch a pet there won't be any fighting because no one knows who got what unless someone announces it.

Also, I don't think there'd be any problem with people adopting all your pets at once. We'd go to the Adoption Center and drop off a pet, just like selling an item to the Bazaar or a pet to Zeke. No one has access to the rest of our inventory. OR you meant that you wouldn't want all the pets we donated to go in one day - but I don't think we can have a say in that at all after we release the pet. Just like selling a house full of items in the Bazaar - it's supply & demand and would last however long it lasts.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2012
sarbear0602 on Jul 2, 2015 wrote:
That would be a great idea! I kinda don't wanna train my pet up to mega but if we could do this, that would make pet training and pet getting a whole lot easier.

-Elizabeth DeathHeart Level 57 Necromancer

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I like this idea, and always have. The issue, as I recall, was balancing the giving up with the adoption. I agree there should be a limit on how many you can adopt in any one time period. When we choose what pet we want to adopt, we should get an interface that shows:

Pet Breed (default sorting)
Pet Name
Pet Level (L0 Baby, L1 Teen, L2 Adult, L3 Ancient, L4 Epic, L5 Mega, L6 Ultra)
Pet School
Cost to adopt*
  1. When we adopt the pet, we have the option to rename / redye it for free
  2. All pets should be first come first serve, like the bazaar
  3. Pets are adopted AS IS when it comes to abilities
*Cost to adopt the pet should be whatever the individual pet's hatching cost is. For example, according to Central, the cost to hatch a Phoenix pet with any other pet, is 19,600 gold. That's what the adoption price should be.

Just my random thoughts on this

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
dayerider on Jul 5, 2015 wrote:
I like this idea, and always have. The issue, as I recall, was balancing the giving up with the adoption. I agree there should be a limit on how many you can adopt in any one time period. When we choose what pet we want to adopt, we should get an interface that shows:

Pet Breed (default sorting)
Pet Name
Pet Level (L0 Baby, L1 Teen, L2 Adult, L3 Ancient, L4 Epic, L5 Mega, L6 Ultra)
Pet School
Cost to adopt*
  1. When we adopt the pet, we have the option to rename / redye it for free
  2. All pets should be first come first serve, like the bazaar
  3. Pets are adopted AS IS when it comes to abilities
*Cost to adopt the pet should be whatever the individual pet's hatching cost is. For example, according to Central, the cost to hatch a Phoenix pet with any other pet, is 19,600 gold. That's what the adoption price should be.

Just my random thoughts on this
We'd also need to be able to see the petnome card - just like on the hatch sigel - to know whether the pet meets our hatching needs.

The sigel can tell us
  • whether the pet was a hatch or first generation,
  • the DNA number, the talents that have manifested
  • whether it's chock full of cards
  • or it still has a one pip talent that's so high on the card there's almost no chance it's Fairy Friend.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2010
This would be such a useful, helpful thing. I have dozens (over a hundred?) pets that are good, but not what I was trying to accomplish. If I could sell those to someone who may use them, I wouldn't have so many cluttering up the yard. Love this idea!

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
I think this is an excellent idea. Even if the purchase price were Crowns but the "seller" only got gold.

If the adoption fee is gold, it should be - unfortunately - more than the Hatch Price. Work has gone into training, therefore it is more valuable than an unmatched egg. Especially because you know what manifested - no guessing like hatching creates.

If you could see the whole petnome, you'd also know what *could* manifest next time...

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
PaigeGoldenspear on Jul 6, 2015 wrote:
I think this is an excellent idea. Even if the purchase price were Crowns but the "seller" only got gold.

If the adoption fee is gold, it should be - unfortunately - more than the Hatch Price. Work has gone into training, therefore it is more valuable than an unmatched egg. Especially because you know what manifested - no guessing like hatching creates.

If you could see the whole petnome, you'd also know what *could* manifest next time...

Only if you knew the owner and could ask or hop the hatching sigel for a description or sight of the parent's cards. Otherwise you only know that there are some 1, 2, 3, 4 pip talents/powers & where they fell on the card. You don't know which ones they are without more data from the owner. That lone 1 pip could be a plethora of "plus-piggies" or it could be Fairy Friend.

But even if we don't know the owner and have no idea what the unmaifested talents are - it'd be helpful to see the card because if there are no 1 pip spots - Fairy Friend can't be on the card. Or if it's got a lot of 4 pips it's very likely to be loaded with a lot of cards, etc.

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
Helenie Nightseer on Jul 5, 2015 wrote:
I don't think these things should be too hard to deal with.

For one thing they could use an interface that's a combination of the hatching sigel & Bazaar. Choose a tab for all unicorns or all Carnation Pixies and then hop the sigel to see the petnome card for each pet of that species. Flip till you find one you like the look of and instead of "Hatch" you hit a button for "Adopt." Then either you get an announcement (like in the Bazaar) that that pet's already been adopted OR you get the success message like at the end of hatching and the pet goes in your backpack.

If they can tell who in the Bazaar has bought the only available Fine Wood Table - they will know who got that Carnation Pixie. And just like when we buy something or hatch a pet there won't be any fighting because no one knows who got what unless someone announces it.

Also, I don't think there'd be any problem with people adopting all your pets at once. We'd go to the Adoption Center and drop off a pet, just like selling an item to the Bazaar or a pet to Zeke. No one has access to the rest of our inventory. OR you meant that you wouldn't want all the pets we donated to go in one day - but I don't think we can have a say in that at all after we release the pet. Just like selling a house full of items in the Bazaar - it's supply & demand and would last however long it lasts.
Also, regarding the interface -

we'd need the option (like in the Bazaar) of a crowd of us donating pets all at once

AND (like in the Pet Hatchery) a two person sigel so we CAN give a certain pet to a certain other player.

The whole point of it is that I have a lot of good to great pets and would have wanted to give one particularly to my mom.