Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A question for expert hatchers

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 09, 2013
I am quite new at the hatchery here. I got my Stormzilla pet from the level 48 pet storm quest and I've been taking nice care of him. He is now an adult now Although its not that hard to raise a pet to an adult. Anyways, here is my question. Yesterday I did some studying on Wizard101 central. I've learned not all pets can learn the same abilities as other pets. However, I have learned that you can pass traits to offspring pets. I have been looking for a pet that can learn the spritely pet ability. After studying the wiki, I've learned that the Stormzilla pet can't learn the spritely ability which I was a little bummed to hear, since I thought it could learn that ability. But like I've stated above, I've learned that pet traits can be passed to offspring pets. Here is my question. I will use an example. If I were to breed my dragon, a dragon who CANNOT learn the spritely ability, and breed it with my starfish who KNOWS the spritely ability, and the offspring was a dragon, is there a chance that the dragon can possibly, possibly learn the spritely ability? Pretty much what I am asking is if it is possible to make a certain pet learn abilities that it cannot learn by making it breed with a pet that can or learn that ability? I hope this made sense. I hope you can answer this question. Thanks again and see you in the spiral

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
If a talent is in either hatching parent's pool (doesn't matter if it's manifested or not) then that talent may be passed on to the offspring. So... yes, if you hatched your dragon and starfish, the offspring may end up with Spritely in its pool, no matter if that offspring is a dragon or starfish.

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Legendary Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Magus Sorcerer
Sabrina Boomblossom, Journeyman Theurgist

Explorer
Jul 24, 2010
Survivor
Jul 02, 2012
YES! It is possible to pass traits on. However, it can take numerous hatchings (I have about fifty deer knights and even more buddy dragons). You may have to hatch it the first time, then find another pet with the same ability and hatch with that. Take that pet and hatch again with a different pet with the same ability. Keep an eye on the pedigree. The idea is to get the pedigree to go up and not down.
Once you get your talent that you want, continue it to mega. You never know what epic talents you have until you unlock them

I like to hatch so find me in the spiral in seraph realm. I hang out around grumpy gobblers when I'm not questing

My characters are:
Stephanie Sparkleblossom
Sabrina Soulcatcher
Keira Iceslinger
Paige Dreamwhisper
Roslyn Lotusblossom
Scarlet Firesword

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Scurvy Anthony Wal... on Aug 19, 2014 wrote:
I am quite new at the hatchery here. I got my Stormzilla pet from the level 48 pet storm quest and I've been taking nice care of him. He is now an adult now Although its not that hard to raise a pet to an adult. Anyways, here is my question. Yesterday I did some studying on Wizard101 central. I've learned not all pets can learn the same abilities as other pets. However, I have learned that you can pass traits to offspring pets. I have been looking for a pet that can learn the spritely pet ability. After studying the wiki, I've learned that the Stormzilla pet can't learn the spritely ability which I was a little bummed to hear, since I thought it could learn that ability. But like I've stated above, I've learned that pet traits can be passed to offspring pets. Here is my question. I will use an example. If I were to breed my dragon, a dragon who CANNOT learn the spritely ability, and breed it with my starfish who KNOWS the spritely ability, and the offspring was a dragon, is there a chance that the dragon can possibly, possibly learn the spritely ability? Pretty much what I am asking is if it is possible to make a certain pet learn abilities that it cannot learn by making it breed with a pet that can or learn that ability? I hope this made sense. I hope you can answer this question. Thanks again and see you in the spiral
I started here to get an idea on how to work with pets.

http://www.duelist101.com/community/thepetguide/developing-pet-step-step/

It's a good guide to give you a general idea how the pet thing works or should work, lol.

As for your question. Each pet has 10 talents, 5 which can be manifested, the 5 talents that can be manifested are set at hatch. Manifested talents usually do transfer better then ones the pet may get and aren't shown. So if you hatch 2 pets there are 20 talents total, 10 transfer to the new pet and 5 of them can be manifested.

It takes time to get the pet you want and usually a lot of failed hatches. Don't train past adult if the talent you want doesn't show.

Mary

Survivor
Feb 16, 2009
I don't know much about offspring talent transfers but it sounds highly possible. If you want some more info just find a wiki post about it. Sorry

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Yes! This is probably the biggest reason for hatching.

The guide Northlite linked to is very good. So is this one: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Hatching_Pets

Defender
May 17, 2014
Yep!
The chances are almost at 100% that if the father or mother has a talent,it will be passed onto the offspring.

Nicole ShadowSong