Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Top 5 reasons Wizards die in combat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 20, 2013
These are the top 5 reasons why wizards lose in combat. This is only my opinion btw.

#5: Their gear. There gear gives them stats which aren't very useful for the battle. Like for example, you're facing a myth enemy and the gear gives you no myth resist or block. In the 2nd arc, block is really important.

#4: Internet Connection lost. This is a very common one. You're just winning and all that and all of a sudden, you lose connection. When you regain the connection, you're basiclly either low on health you have like a billion traps on you. You still have a chance to heal but you'll most likely die.

#3: The classic old fizzle. I was about to put this one first until I remembered something else. But for now let's stick to this one. 10% of the time, fizzles can be useful but 90% of the time they're a major annoyance the a very likely reason to lose. You're about to win. Just gotta cast this spell and I win! Wait...I just fizzled???? Oh well Just gotta wait another turn. Oh no! The enemy is casting a spell that's gonna kill me! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

#2: You're very underleveled. Lets say you're lvl 35 and you're facing malistaire. Yes, it's possible to win but you get what I mean.

#1: As I said. I was about to pick the fizzle as the first reason but then a remembered something else. This reason is a pretty good reason. THE BATTLE IS TOO HARD! I almost forgot about that. :)

So what do you guys think the top reasons people lose? These are my reasons.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
That pretty well covers why wizards lose in solo fights.

In teams, I think there's a lot to be said for other players not pulling their own weight, ignoring who is getting hurt, and not packing any heals for their teammates.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
The real top 5 reasons

#5: Their gear and deck. They think the same gear is good for every battle and don't bother to change for the battle.
#4: Their gear and deck. They think the same gear is good for every battle and don't bother to change for the battle.
#3: Their gear and deck. They think the same gear is good for every battle and don't bother to change for the battle.
#2: Their gear and deck. They think the same gear is good for every battle and don't bother to change for the battle.
#1: Their gear and deck. They think the same gear is good for every battle and don't bother to change for the battle.

That pretty much covers every situation.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2013
seethe42 on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:
The real top 5 reasons

#5: Their gear and deck. They think the same gear is good for every battle and don't bother to change for the battle.
#4: Their gear and deck. They think the same gear is good for every battle and don't bother to change for the battle.
#3: Their gear and deck. They think the same gear is good for every battle and don't bother to change for the battle.
#2: Their gear and deck. They think the same gear is good for every battle and don't bother to change for the battle.
#1: Their gear and deck. They think the same gear is good for every battle and don't bother to change for the battle.

That pretty much covers every situation.
Most of the time it is good. I'm not going to put on some special gear every battle if I've found a setup I'm comfortable in.

Survivor
Oct 04, 2009
That just happened to me that I died, it was because of a fizzle. I am a life wizard! My satyr fizzled, and that same round, then boss killed me. It's very annoying but I am shocked that a life spell fizzling killed me. Those are pretty much why wizards die in fights.

Samuel Lifebringer Level 95

Explorer
Jun 12, 2011
#6: they join a fight with Dr. Von and beg for buffs or healing.

This is 99.99999% of why people die in my duels. If you are polite and respectful, I have no problem helping you; but if you walk into that ring unannounced with a terrible attitude or if you start demanding things from me, I will let the monsters defeat you and save my buffs for myself.

PS: I don't carry shields or heals anyway. Live with it.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2011
You should always keep your health in the safe zone. In pvp or on a quest, never let your health get to low. That's why you see warlords use a sprite when they feel their health is too low. People laugh when you cast a sprite at mid health, but just that little extra health can keep you alive and make a difference.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
Laura Shadowsong on Jan 15, 2014 wrote:
#6: they join a fight with Dr. Von and beg for buffs or healing.

This is 99.99999% of why people die in my duels. If you are polite and respectful, I have no problem helping you; but if you walk into that ring unannounced with a terrible attitude or if you start demanding things from me, I will let the monsters defeat you and save my buffs for myself.

PS: I don't carry shields or heals anyway. Live with it.
That is a very good point, so many noobs join my battles and it gets so annoying Some people just never learn any proper manners of online gaming. Its funny what some people will do to get noticed in games....

Aaron WildWraith lvl 95

Jeremy FrostSword lvl 40 pvp overlord

Survivor
Nov 23, 2012
The top reason I die is because someone accidently joins the battle I was just about to win with like 20 health left, gets another enemy to join, flees, and I die.
-Lauren Dragontail

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
i would put the battle being to hard closer to the top. heres mine!!!

#5 i get lazy and quit playing
#4 i dont get to go first
#3 the monster crit all the time anymore
#2 i cant find the right card
#1 fizzling

Delver
Mar 07, 2012
Well, here's the top 5 reasons I die.

5. My heals aren't critical when I need it the most.

4. Critical block fail.

3. My minion tries to attack the boss, instead of healing me.

2. My attack/buff cards don't show up in my deck.

1. Pip cost... UGH.

~ Vanessa

Survivor
Sep 25, 2010
This is so true. I can't even count the amount of times I lost a battle due to fizzling

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
The most common mistakes I see are:

1- too many cards in your deck. You aren't getting the cards you need when you need them because your deck is cluttered with things that shouldn't be there. Just buff and kill fast in most fights. My street deck has no shields or heals.

2- using minions at higher levels. Minions (and even henchmen) are not as good as players, and at higher levels they can mess up complex strategy. At best they take pips you could use for your own stronger attack.

3- over reliance on critical. It's suddenly the "in" thing to have high crit. Unfortunately many of those high-crit builds lack other stats. Critical isn't something to count on, ever. It is icing on the cake. It should not be your battle plan.

4- Fizz. Too many players chase damage, crit, or resist, but overlook accuracy (I love my pet with sharp shot).

5- going it alone. It can be fun to solo, but there are some fights that are designed for at least two players. If you have gone through more than two worlds and not made any friends, maybe the next thing to upgrade is social skills.

The fixes:

Small decks, good planning, gear with good base stats (accuracy, resist, damage), friends, and planning ahead. Check the Wiki or guides on fan sites before tough boss fights and adjust your kit and cards are needed.

Defender
Oct 27, 2013
5: spells in your deck. You put low rnk spells in your deck like thundersnake which does only 105-145
damage for a lvl 35 when youre in late marleybone early mooshu. but if you're lvl 10 then this step will win

4: gear bonuses: you're a level 60 you're wearing a wyldtamers armor, explorer boots and a novices hat. that only gives like 40 health and 1% resist ]. its no help for a llv 60 but a help for a lvl 5-10.

3: you're internet. you're playing w101 during a massive snowstorm. trees knock down the power line and you lose connection. you lose

2: spells that show up. you were gonna use helephant and instead vampire, fire elf and storm shark did. the chance of a spell you want every round is depending on deck. if i have a dragonfire deck which has 60 spaces, the chance helephant will show is 7 divide by 60 so about 9% i belive.

1: you're pet's talents. it is on epic but only gains + pet stats. no help. and pets school. if you're a life and you're talent was +5% storm damage .

1: finnaly : running out of mana. if you have no mana you can't cast the spell you want. just those 0-rank wand spells, shields and charms but nothing to use them to help you.