Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 12-13-13

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hi everyone! It's Friday again, and thus, it's time to talk about something new and fun!

This week, let's poll the most experienced Wizards and chat about Shadow Magic. Three new Shadow Magic forms were introduced with the last update - Shadow Shrike, Shadow Sentinel, and Shadow Seraph. Which form is your favorite, and why? Also, it would probably be helpful to mention what sort of Wizard you are (Fire, Myth, etc.).

If you haven't gotten them yet, which form are you most excited about getting?

I hope you all stay warm, and have a wonderful, wonderful weekend!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Historian
May 06, 2009
As a Death Wizard, our school get's Shadow Sentinel free. I got to test this spell (and Shrike) on the Test Realm. I really like the Shadow Sentinel form most. I like it's bulky look and shield for hands. But my favorite part is the animation it will do: walking to the center of the field and then slamming it's hands together to form a giant shadow-y ring. It never get's old! Plus the spell got featured in Wizard101's newest Khrysalis commercial so double-y cool. I really like the fact that I can help my team and take a bit of damage away without being the main target, and still cast Drain spells with a disadvantage (like Shadow Shrike where I wouldn't gain the extra Pierce charm).

I've seen the Shadow Shrike and Seraph forms. I like how the Seraph's wings will disappear as it stands, it's Butterfly Staff (and I love Butterflies) as well as it's conspiraring-superiority look. Plus it has some very interesting looking legs, almost bird like for the guys. The Shrike as a very fiend-ish and demon-ish look. I like the claws on the girl's form but the guy's seem very drupy; the blue color is very nice though. But I like the creepy look and shadowy mist that comes off not just the Shrike, but all them.

The Shadow Sentinel has to the winner for me. Guards for the gold!

P.S.- Tell the conecpt artists that they did an awesome job on the Shadow spells concepts. Absolutely epic cooler scheme!

Explorer
Jun 24, 2011
I would say the shrike, even thought I am not quite at shadow magic yet, just heard-and seen- positive stuff about shrike
Wolf RavenBreath93

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Professor Falmea on Dec 13, 2013 wrote:
Hi everyone! It's Friday again, and thus, it's time to talk about something new and fun!

This week, let's poll the most experienced Wizards and chat about Shadow Magic. Three new Shadow Magic forms were introduced with the last update - Shadow Shrike, Shadow Sentinel, and Shadow Seraph. Which form is your favorite, and why? Also, it would probably be helpful to mention what sort of Wizard you are (Fire, Myth, etc.).

If you haven't gotten them yet, which form are you most excited about getting?

I hope you all stay warm, and have a wonderful, wonderful weekend!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
I haven't got shadow yet (), but I helped my friend (95 theurgist) battle Ravik Dreamscape or something like that, and I hope they have the shadow form he has (a rat or something like that).

Delver
Oct 23, 2011
I'm a Balance wizard and I always use Shadow Shrike because of the really good pierce.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
So far I have tried Shrike on Storm and Sentinel on Death. I will only rarely use Shrike in normal play, and probably never use Sentinel.

Shrike can be handy against enemies like Ice that like to throw up shields just as I attack them, and those cheat bosses that keep replacing them (like Cerberus) but I need to have the shadow pip before I am ready to attack, and have to count on not being stunned, burned, disarmed, or fizzing while it is up, so it is very situational.

Sentinel is useless. While it seemed like a good idea for a tank to protect weaker players on the team, by the time I get the shadow pip and can cast it, the enemies have likely all attacked at least once. The only thing that can reduce it's backlash is shielding, which good PvE players only rarely do, and if we are going to shield, we are going to do it early; before we'd be able to cast Sentinel.

Overall I like the look of shadow magic, but am not impressed with it's function.

Explorer
Sep 02, 2012
Shadow Seraph sounds cool since I'm a wizard.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2009
I'm fairly disappointed. With the release of the shadow spells, Shadow shrike will be used offensively for sure, Shadow sentinel will be used by jades but shadow seraph is not going to be used by healers.

Shadow Seraph is simply not viable in most circumstances from a balance / Life wizard standpoint. As a Defensive Shadow spell, It ends up hurting more than healing you. Having a shrike attack come at you while trying to keep mobs / Opponents off of you almost always gets you killed.

What i would like to see is a -20% or a -25% and a buff to the absorb (200-400 Absorb) to actually enhance the healing. Right now, Even with the effects the negativeness outweigh the positives and we have 2 auras that are stronger than Seraph and have less of a backlash when balance uses supernova.

As for new shadow forms, I would really like a supporting form! My main wizards tend to be Balance, Ice, Death and life for their utility. This could be broken into 2 Forms, Offensive and defensive.

Offensive: Favors Mana burn, supernova, Blades. Traps, steal charm, Globals (Bubbles!), Prisms, shatter, shift, Minions, etc.

Places a 15% Balance blade on all friends randomly (Similar to the values of wildbolt)
Defensive: Favors defensive utility: Enfeeble, Manaburn, Supernova, weakness, Plagues, Shields
Gives the enemy a -20% weakness

Both Dislike attacks, If on defensive the offensive utility is neutral and vice-versa. (Some spells are liked by both given the flexibility)

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
my school is life and i havent really been playing much lately, but i would the shadow shrike spell to help with my damage and if i pvped again!

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
I'm an ice wizard lvl 74 but I'm really exited about getting Shadow Seraph! Seraph has always been a spell I've kept on my deck right after I learned it. It only costs 4 pips and is there if you don't have an ice attack. So this is my shadow spell that I'm exited about