Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mana burn spamming?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 18, 2008
Ok, so when or how did this become a good "strategy?" this isn't a rant post or anything, more of a suggestive and thought provoking one. How exactly can this be even remotely good? For some reason it is effective. and I want answers as to how. The spell is 5 pips could be a balance for use, which it isn't, the spammers just hoard pips. This is especially useful going second during a duel. What good is an extra pip going second, when it's just going to cause you more damage? The PvP situation is just getting out of hand, Kingsisle can "fix" the system as much as they want, but unless they set some more spell restrictions on PvP, for ALL of the schools, there is going to keep being problems. I just recently came back to the arena after a long, long break from PvP to see what has become of it, and I'm greeted with all of these completely noobish and cheap "strategies" if they can even be called that. Sorry PvP players, but it is true, you're just in denial. Kind of strayed from the subject, but oh well; I have said all I wanted to. the rest is up to the community. All input is welcome, but no fighting, or bashing others. Let's keep this discussion clean.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2012
awesome34 on May 4, 2013 wrote:
Ok, so when or how did this become a good "strategy?" this isn't a rant post or anything, more of a suggestive and thought provoking one. How exactly can this be even remotely good? For some reason it is effective. and I want answers as to how. The spell is 5 pips could be a balance for use, which it isn't, the spammers just hoard pips. This is especially useful going second during a duel. What good is an extra pip going second, when it's just going to cause you more damage? The PvP situation is just getting out of hand, Kingsisle can "fix" the system as much as they want, but unless they set some more spell restrictions on PvP, for ALL of the schools, there is going to keep being problems. I just recently came back to the arena after a long, long break from PvP to see what has become of it, and I'm greeted with all of these completely noobish and cheap "strategies" if they can even be called that. Sorry PvP players, but it is true, you're just in denial. Kind of strayed from the subject, but oh well; I have said all I wanted to. the rest is up to the community. All input is welcome, but no fighting, or bashing others. Let's keep this discussion clean.
lol it's hard to tell if you're talking about problems with manaburn or about everything you think is wrong with pvp lol (Blaze Moonmender promethean)

Defender
Dec 18, 2008
Yeah, I kinda got off track there, I do that sometimes. Let's keep this just about mana burn. disregard anything not pertaining to that subject.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
LoL, sure sounds like a rant to me. Does saying a strategy is "noobish or cheap" qualify as "keeping the discussion clean?" I would think facing a "noobish" strategy would guarantee a win for you, unless I don't understand what you are implying by using the word "Noob." Maybe by "Noob" you mean "I don't like the card they played against me, wah wah?"

While balance wizards who rely on Mana Burn as their main attack are extremely annoying, it is an ineffective strategy to win a match. And it's difficult to "spam" a 5 pip spell, unless I don't understand the meaning of "spam", which the best I can tell means casting the same spell twice in a row. Maybe "spam" means using the same spell twice in an entire match? I got called an efreet spammer once, and I'm still trying to figure out how that is possible.

If you have "been away" from PvP for a long time, how the heck can you pass judgement on the arena? What baseline of knowledge allows you to make proclamations about something you have not participated in for a long time? I also don't understand how a balance wizard going first can cast mana burn on you the first turn since it costs 5 pips. You thinking that everyone has made a bunch of Elucidated Mana Burns or something?

This is not to say PvP isn't broken. I is. Unless KI addresses 80% resist and 100% healing boost, PvP will simply fade into history as a fine game continually made worse over time.

Sincerely,

A retired Age 1 warlord with 5000 1v1 matches played.

Defender
Dec 18, 2008
Malt22 on May 12, 2013 wrote:
LoL, sure sounds like a rant to me. Does saying a strategy is "noobish or cheap" qualify as "keeping the discussion clean?" I would think facing a "noobish" strategy would guarantee a win for you, unless I don't understand what you are implying by using the word "Noob." Maybe by "Noob" you mean "I don't like the card they played against me, wah wah?"

While balance wizards who rely on Mana Burn as their main attack are extremely annoying, it is an ineffective strategy to win a match. And it's difficult to "spam" a 5 pip spell, unless I don't understand the meaning of "spam", which the best I can tell means casting the same spell twice in a row. Maybe "spam" means using the same spell twice in an entire match? I got called an efreet spammer once, and I'm still trying to figure out how that is possible.

If you have "been away" from PvP for a long time, how the heck can you pass judgement on the arena? What baseline of knowledge allows you to make proclamations about something you have not participated in for a long time? I also don't understand how a balance wizard going first can cast mana burn on you the first turn since it costs 5 pips. You thinking that everyone has made a bunch of Elucidated Mana Burns or something?

This is not to say PvP isn't broken. I is. Unless KI addresses 80% resist and 100% healing boost, PvP will simply fade into history as a fine game continually made worse over time.

Sincerely,

A retired Age 1 warlord with 5000 1v1 matches played.
I'm not at all saying "I don't like this spell, wah, wah," I'm saying it is a noobish strategy, as in only a beginner starting to play this game would think it to even be remotely good. Also, whenever you're cruising through the streets of Wizard City, what do you see the low levels doing? oh yeah, spamming their school attacks, mind you they don't have many others, but still, they could change it up a bit. As for me passing judgement on the Arena, I was a justifiable strategic genius when it came to PvP back when the level cap was at 50. I was also a warlord with over 2000 matches played, on EVERY one of my 6 wizards. I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to say whatever I want to about PvP.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2012
Ok calm down people. There may be a simple solution to the problem so why don't we think about one. Perhaps we can send a message to KI asking or suggesting that for pvp, there be a restriction on the number of times someone can cast the same spell per duel or something to that effect. In Awesome34's defense, I believe when he said "noobish strategy" he was implying the fact that it probably showed a lack of skill and more than likely invokes some form of anger when in the heat of battle. Granted, you cannot solve ALL of the problems in the world, nor can we keep people from trying "innovative methods" of winning. However this situation I believe can be solved rather simply if KI deals with this issue in a timely manner.

Cya in the Spiral

Blake TitanCaller Lvl 88

Survivor
Jan 03, 2011
People hate mana burn, so if it gets used on them, immediately the enemy is spamming them. Yes i have a balance, but i also fight balance constantly on my death, and supernova is much more annoying. People need to learn to use different strategies than save up all my pips, shatter, and use my lvl 88 spell. Thats how burn users beat ya, but if you keep your pips low, burn might do 300. And technically, you cant spam it because it burns 3 pips, using 5. First it was judge, then chimera, (Yea people actually complained bout that thing.) and now burn. Every school has some annoying new spells, but if you try to think about ways to counter them, you will win, guarenteed. My big problem school was myth, because of the blade up, shatter, orthrus or medusa, depending on their turn order. Learned to carry more weakness, and to go on offensive before they do. Kinda hard to one hit ya when they are busy healing. Ranked warlord, 1056, using a pet with sprite, mc life shield, 4% resist and gives a cleanse ward spell. :D Meow wing for life. <3

Defender
Dec 18, 2008
corybur96 on May 16, 2013 wrote:
People hate mana burn, so if it gets used on them, immediately the enemy is spamming them. Yes i have a balance, but i also fight balance constantly on my death, and supernova is much more annoying. People need to learn to use different strategies than save up all my pips, shatter, and use my lvl 88 spell. Thats how burn users beat ya, but if you keep your pips low, burn might do 300. And technically, you cant spam it because it burns 3 pips, using 5. First it was judge, then chimera, (Yea people actually complained bout that thing.) and now burn. Every school has some annoying new spells, but if you try to think about ways to counter them, you will win, guarenteed. My big problem school was myth, because of the blade up, shatter, orthrus or medusa, depending on their turn order. Learned to carry more weakness, and to go on offensive before they do. Kinda hard to one hit ya when they are busy healing. Ranked warlord, 1056, using a pet with sprite, mc life shield, 4% resist and gives a cleanse ward spell. :D Meow wing for life. <3
Woah, woah, woah. You mean people were complaining about spamming Chimera? how is that even possible when the max number of pips is 14? While I'm not saying supernova isn't annoying, it's just slightly less annoying than mana burn, seeing as though supernova has 60% accuracy and only hits if you use an aura. Judge on the other hand, is completely unheard of in high level pvp anymore. I have only encountered 2 matches against a balance that actually used a judge, and they weren't spamming it. So I think judge is less of a problem than it was before.

Survivor
Jan 03, 2011
awesome34 on May 17, 2013 wrote:
Woah, woah, woah. You mean people were complaining about spamming Chimera? how is that even possible when the max number of pips is 14? While I'm not saying supernova isn't annoying, it's just slightly less annoying than mana burn, seeing as though supernova has 60% accuracy and only hits if you use an aura. Judge on the other hand, is completely unheard of in high level pvp anymore. I have only encountered 2 matches against a balance that actually used a judge, and they weren't spamming it. So I think judge is less of a problem than it was before.
Lol what does pips have to do with anything? Can you spam medusa? no but there were complaints about that too because of the double stun. People didnt like chimera cause its hard to tower it, and people tower because they fear judge. Mana burn is not something that needs to be changed, people just want to blade up and hit with a high pip spell. Thats their fault. Its like someone complaining about storm because they arent using block gear, and constantly get Critikilled. Death because they cant heal through doom, and they dont carry bubbles. Calling life heal noobs, when they dont carry doom. List goes on. :P With av crafted gear, and arena wand, super nova has 85% accuracy, then enchant it and base damage is 810. Lol Mine rarely fizzles. Secondly, Judge is still the most used balance spell because of shatter. idk if you are doing team pvp or something, because that could be why. But judge is still everywhere. Double feint, infallible shatter and then judge with 20% pierce enchant overkills anybody, even a full gear jade.

Survivor
May 27, 2009
maybe they should make it stronger an a level 7spell instead of level 5, mana burn also takes away power pips an does not give a single pip back which means it can take up to 6 pips which is why it is spam able but i agree spamming means using twice in a row he ment they abuse its right as a spell as storms do with insane bolt an wild bolt. black dragon intel

Defender
Sep 29, 2008
i have spammed both medusa and mana burn supposedly but honestly peopel who dont build their decks right are what empower those types of players its really not that easily done for either strategy.

Survivor
May 13, 2011
Honestly, there is no point in talking about "restricting spells". Each school has its advantages and disadvanges. Plus, in a way, spamming spells is a strategy that does work and is very effective. I under stand that it is annoying, trust me, i only ever go up against spammers. Just don't complain about it and play. Make every match a learning experience. But I will tell you this: Learn some universal weakness spells, and boost your resist up. Try to find a good pet that will get you the resist.

Yours Truly, Tyler NightHunter, Level 74,