Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

House Rip Off. (Desperately needs fixing)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 29, 2013
Hello everyone. I have recently found a problem with houses which most certainly needs changing. I bought the $15000 Tranquil Cottage from Mooshu. It looked nice when I did the preview So I bought it. However when I had bought the home I realized that you could only place 50 items in it. I had the Royal Play House befire and had over 100 pieces of furniture and plants the Royal Play House could hold up to 150 items so I didn't have a problem. But because of the 50/50 rule I had to sell hundreds of pieces of furniture. I really think for the kind of gold your paying you must make it over 50 items. Most of the items I had to sell where very hard to earn and it was very unfair that I had to just get rid of them. Not only that but there isn't an indication of how many items a house can hold in the shop or the preview and thirdly. The the Tranquil cottage was 15000 dollars that is a lot of gold and takes a long time to earn. So for the gold your paying it is a rip off. Anyone who agrees with me please say so. It may help persuade the administrators.

Thank You. Aidencool6

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Altho it would be handy to know what a house can hold prior to purchase I don't think you had to sell anything. I believe that house holds 50 items inside and then 100 outside.

I keep items I really want to keep in my shared bank so my other wizards can benefit from them.

Placing your items in your attic can also hold them until you find a place for them.

As you travel though the Spiral you are going to collect items that can be used or sold this helps replenish your gold. Eventually you will be wondering what you can buy with gold to get rid of some.

Since you had the Playhouse before I will take a guess and say some of the items couldn't stay there because you sold it? You are allowed three castles/houses and to switch between them you must equip them in your back pack.

On my first wizard I bought the Wooden Cottage from Wizard City, at the time it didn't seem like I would ever fill it but did and had to move to a bigger place.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
I agree that the capacity of a castle should be shown when viewing it, but that's all I can agree with. If you think 15,000 gold is expensive, you obviously haven't priced housing in the Spiral very much. And as for being forced to sell items, no, you weren't. Wizards can have up to three castles, plus a dorm room, so you could have kept all that furniture in your Royal Playhouse and not had to sell anything. Or, you could have increased the capacity of the Tranquil Cottage with a bric-a-brac elixir (though that does cost crowns).

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
aidencool6 on Apr 30, 2013 wrote:
Hello everyone. I have recently found a problem with houses which most certainly needs changing. I bought the $15000 Tranquil Cottage from Mooshu. It looked nice when I did the preview So I bought it. However when I had bought the home I realized that you could only place 50 items in it. I had the Royal Play House befire and had over 100 pieces of furniture and plants the Royal Play House could hold up to 150 items so I didn't have a problem. But because of the 50/50 rule I had to sell hundreds of pieces of furniture. I really think for the kind of gold your paying you must make it over 50 items. Most of the items I had to sell where very hard to earn and it was very unfair that I had to just get rid of them. Not only that but there isn't an indication of how many items a house can hold in the shop or the preview and thirdly. The the Tranquil cottage was 15000 dollars that is a lot of gold and takes a long time to earn. So for the gold your paying it is a rip off. Anyone who agrees with me please say so. It may help persuade the administrators.

Thank You. Aidencool6
That was the first Cottage I purchased for my Pyro a long time ago. IT serves very well for a starter and yes, I paid 15,000 gold for it then. The price has not changed since the game was released in 2008. You also have the use of the bank, shared bank and attic for storage until you can buy a bigger place. This Cottage allows 150 inside/50 outside.

All of the Cottages are 150 inside/50 outside and cost the same. My life(lvl88) has the Wooded cottage. I mainly use them now as jumping points since they load faster and can move on th the next world I want to go to. I did however just sell the Tranquil Cottage on my Pyro to make room for the Red Barn Farm since I have no intentions of using crowns for the Additional Housing Elixir. I have had that cottage for over 4 years and do miss it in a way.

Sorry, but I do not agree that it is a rip off. There is no reason to for a property this small to allow more items to be placed especially outside.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2013
Well this Tranquil cottage is different. It only holds a maximum of 50 items inside and outside combined. I don't know if it has been changed that way. But it is a rip off. I'm paying real money to be a member and have access to these areas and the best they can do is 50 in and out combined. It should be unlimited. As many Items as we can fit in the place. Other wise not only are we not getting our value in gold but we aren't getting our value in real money too.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2013
Ok so maybe I didn't need to sell my items but it still isn't worth it. Although 15000 isn't a lot for a house. It doesn't remove the fact that it's still a lot of money.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
aidencool6 on May 4, 2013 wrote:
Well this Tranquil cottage is different. It only holds a maximum of 50 items inside and outside combined. I don't know if it has been changed that way. But it is a rip off. I'm paying real money to be a member and have access to these areas and the best they can do is 50 in and out combined. It should be unlimited. As many Items as we can fit in the place. Other wise not only are we not getting our value in gold but we aren't getting our value in real money too.
Aidencool6, the Tranquil Cottage holds 150 inside and another 50 outside. If you are having problems with it, you need to contact support. You can even check that on Wiziard101 Central on the Wiki pages. It will be listed under castles.

It should not be unlimited. It is a small property and is well within a reasonable price. I owned that cottage for over 4 years and never had it maxed with all the items I put in it. The price is GAME GOLD not REAL CASH. The only real cash you are shelling out is for your sub unless you buy crowns. This Cottage is not a crowns item therefore does not cost real cash. Anything you buy with Crowns is costing real money, this is just not one of them.

15,000 game gold is nothing. There are others that will cost 100,000+ game gold or you can spend real cash for enough crowns to buy them. Most don't waste crowns when they can use game gold no matter the cost. Gold can be replaced by farming for items to sell and the gold you get from completing most quests.

I pay real money to be a member too and so do millions of other players. I do however agree that it would be nice to know what the item capacity is before buying a house.

But as I said before, 15,000 game gold is not a rip off for that cottage.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
"Other wise not only are we not getting our value in gold but we aren't getting our value in real money too."
"Well this Tranquil cottage is different. It only holds a maximum of 50 items inside and outside combined."
Wrong. Refer to other posts. You might want to check again.

"I'm paying real money to be a member and have access to these areas and the best they can do is 50 in and out combined."
You are NOT paying real money to go inside a simple house... You don't need to, it's just a shortcut. (You also don't need to be a member to get access) Like I said above again, refer to other posts for the 50 in&out thing.

"It should be unlimited. As many Items as we can fit in the place."
No. The limit is there to prevent lag and to keep a limit so that the frames per second (FPS) doesn't drop to much.

"Other wise not only are we not getting our value in gold but we aren't getting our value in real money too."
Uh? How are you not getting your value in real money also? 15,000 is cheap first of all, and second of all you don't have to pay to get gold, and if you are paying for gold, that's a terrible idea. Gold is way overpriced. (No offense KI...)

"Ok so maybe I didn't need to sell my items but it still isn't worth it. Although 15000 isn't a lot for a house. It doesn't remove the fact that it's still a lot of money."
Waaahhhh?! Double oxymoron! "15000 is not a lot, but it's a lot." That's what I got out of that. The second oxymoron was from saying 15000 is a lot... It is not a lot at ALL. I have usually 100k+ on my main wizard, and usually do on my storm and life also. Just quest up, you'll find that much cheap.

Survivor
Mar 29, 2013
OK OK. Perhaps I need to clean up a bit. We aren't getting our value in real money because you need to pay to get into the areas where you get the houses. For example you need to pay a lot of crowns or be a member to get access to MooShu. Therefore the houses we get in MooShu are kind of members only. That's what I mean by that. Next I just explained how I'm sorta paying real money so they should be able to put in more than 50 items. Ok I understand why it may not be unlimited. But there should be more! And finally although 15000 isn't a lot for a house. It is still a large amount of gold. And for the gold your paying you should get better value. Or it should at least notify you about how much the house holds for example my Tranquil hold 50 items in and out combined. It should notify you of that. I hope you can now understand what I'm trying to say better. This game is great. I play it all the time. But that is possibly the one thing that stinks.

Thanks,

Aidencool6 LV. 38

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I fail to see how its a rip-off.

The tranquil cottage is available for purchase using in-game gold. 15000 gold is quite cheep for a wizard that has reached mooshu. The fact that other large houses in the crown shop are also available for in-game gold is fantastic. The game offers the player a tour prior to purchase. If you aren't fond of the cottage the game offers several others for variety. I agree it would be nice if the amount of items a property holds was indicated prior to purchase. This info is readily available with a simple google search.

I can understand if you don't like certain houses, but they are certainly not a rip-off.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
aidencool6 on May 12, 2013 wrote:
OK OK. Perhaps I need to clean up a bit. We aren't getting our value in real money because you need to pay to get into the areas where you get the houses. For example you need to pay a lot of crowns or be a member to get access to MooShu. Therefore the houses we get in MooShu are kind of members only. That's what I mean by that. Next I just explained how I'm sorta paying real money so they should be able to put in more than 50 items. Ok I understand why it may not be unlimited. But there should be more! And finally although 15000 isn't a lot for a house. It is still a large amount of gold. And for the gold your paying you should get better value. Or it should at least notify you about how much the house holds for example my Tranquil hold 50 items in and out combined. It should notify you of that. I hope you can now understand what I'm trying to say better. This game is great. I play it all the time. But that is possibly the one thing that stinks.

Thanks,

Aidencool6 LV. 38
You have only been a subscriber less than 2 months. It is possible you are not aware there is a FREE Fansite called Wizard101 Central. That site holds all kinds of information that is readily available to all members. Information about quests, crafting, housing and so forth. That site has it's own WiKi pages that lists all live game items/info. Those pages are updated regularly to keep members informed of any changes along with the Forums.

Now, granted, it would be nice to have that little bit of info tacked on the the house description, but I do have to say, I have never bought a house without checking the Wiki pages first. More times than not, I will actually look at an item several times before I actually buy it.

As you have been repeatedly informed that 15,000 GAME gold is not a lot of gold. It is not. That Cottage is well suited for the amount of gold it sells for. The number of Items and has been repeatedly stated is 50 outside and 150 inside. I had that Cottage(4 yrs) until I sold it in order to have room in my back pack for the Red Barn Farm. If I had tried to max out the number of items it would hold, it would have looked like a junk yard or a furniture resale shop.

I did make an error on my first post in regards to the Wooded Cottage. That one actually costs 8,000 gold but still holds the same amount of items, 50 outside, 150 inside. I still have that one on a life wizard, but until I sell it, I can buy no more house for that wiz. It is also a smaller property than the Tranquil Cottage.

If I may suggest, start checking items on Wizard101 Central Wiki pages before you buy, Or as RottenHeart suggested, A google search.

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
The Tranquil Cottage is a modest castle, which holds less items, and the Royal Playhouse is a luxury castle which holds more than modest. Also, modest castles are smaller so you obviously don't need as many items to decorate them.

Destiny Windgem, level 42

Ps. I use a modest castle, and I can decorate it just fine.