Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Instead of trashing pets...pet adoption?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
We've all gotten dropped pets from mobs and bosses that weren't really to our liking. And a lot of us players don't have the guts to "trash" a pet (because that just sounds awful and cruel). What happens is these pets end up taking up our house, backpack, bank, shared bank, and/or attic space. What's the use if we're not ever going to equip these pets?

I've had to trash pages and pages of pets before and it was just heartbreaking! I know a lot of other players who feel the same way. So to fix this problem, I think KI should make some kind of NPC for pet adoption. The idea is, instead of trashing an unwanted pet (trained or otherwise), you can bring it to this NPC where other players can take it with them! (Somewhat like the bazaar, or maybe even make this a new bazaar tab!)

There are tons of players out there who don't have enough time to train their own pet. And for those who do have the time, we all get pets with unwanted talents. Those who trained pets with unwanted talents can put them up for adoption and then those who don't have the time can adopt those pets!
As for pricing, maybe it should depend on the rarity and pedigree of the pet.

Thanks for reading!

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
hoshikara on May 2, 2016 wrote:
We've all gotten dropped pets from mobs and bosses that weren't really to our liking. And a lot of us players don't have the guts to "trash" a pet (because that just sounds awful and cruel). What happens is these pets end up taking up our house, backpack, bank, shared bank, and/or attic space. What's the use if we're not ever going to equip these pets?

I've had to trash pages and pages of pets before and it was just heartbreaking! I know a lot of other players who feel the same way. So to fix this problem, I think KI should make some kind of NPC for pet adoption. The idea is, instead of trashing an unwanted pet (trained or otherwise), you can bring it to this NPC where other players can take it with them! (Somewhat like the bazaar, or maybe even make this a new bazaar tab!)

There are tons of players out there who don't have enough time to train their own pet. And for those who do have the time, we all get pets with unwanted talents. Those who trained pets with unwanted talents can put them up for adoption and then those who don't have the time can adopt those pets!
As for pricing, maybe it should depend on the rarity and pedigree of the pet.

Thanks for reading!
I gotta say I really understand the sentiment of this post. I feel the same way. Even though we're talking about a digitized "thing" - it still represents, within the game, a living creature and as such I find it distasteful to just "trash" it. Because of this, I too have a multitude of failed pets taking up space in my homes. I haven't gotten to the point yet where I've done a wholesale housecleaning but I'm sure eventually this will happen.
I don't see where implementing something of this nature would be a detriment. From a Crowns standpoint I think most people spend Crowns for energy mostly later in a pet's training. Pet's from an Adoption Pool would already be trained to a point. Anyone deciding to adopt these less than perfect pets will probably be more likely to spend Crowns for energy than if they started with a new pet so it might even mean an increased revenue stream for KI. I do think if this was implemented there should be a level restriction. Players should be exposed to the pet training system first before being allowed to just go out and buy pre-trained pets. This way they can decide whether they want to take advantage of the system or simply bypass it and take the benefits of other people's efforts.
Another option might be something like a Crowns purchase "Kennel". A couple thousand Crowns for a property designed specifically for abandoned pets. Nothing but pets can be placed there. Also, it shouldn't count towards the players total "Castle" count because technically it's not a player's home.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
A similar suggestion has been mentioned several times before. I think it has valid points. I would love to see some of my pets be adopted by other wizards who would otherwise not have a cute, fluffy, sweet, talented pet, that was halfway decent.

I have a LOT of houses. At those houses, I have a LOT of pets. I know at one point, I had well over 1,000 of them roaming around. I finally had to sell off (sigh) hundreds of pets, as I just didn't have the room anymore. But it was sad. In my mind, I was thinking they went to a good home.

Be prepared .... there will be naysayers. The ones who spent so much $$$, time and energy into creating their wonderful pet talents & stats. They will feel the little wizards don't deserve to buy something so nice since they put so much effort into their own pets.

Well, I have many max stat pets (all 250), plus a multitude of talent sets that are pretty darn good. I have no problem having someone 'adopt' one of my pets for their very own. I may have put a lot of effort into my pets, but I'm willing to share!

Survivor
Jan 28, 2016
This is an incredible idea I think and one that really fits and could work really well I think. I always feel bad when I have to trash pets and this is an excellent solution.
I think it'd be really adorable if a building for pet adoptions was added and had little pets walking around on set paths or sitting around. I could see a lot of people hanging out around there.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I've never trashed a pet. We can sell them to vendors for gold. There are two pet shops, and Zeke, who seems like he'd find good homes for them.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Prince of Shadows on May 2, 2016 wrote:
I've never trashed a pet. We can sell them to vendors for gold. There are two pet shops, and Zeke, who seems like he'd find good homes for them.
It is true you can sell them, but the principle is the same--these pets are never going to be seen again, and with selling them, you get gold for getting rid of them. Plus, they still don't go anywhere.

I understand that Zeke or the pet shops may give the idea of relocating them, but I'd like unwanted pets to actually find new wizards if KI can possibly implement that.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on May 2, 2016 wrote:
A similar suggestion has been mentioned several times before. I think it has valid points. I would love to see some of my pets be adopted by other wizards who would otherwise not have a cute, fluffy, sweet, talented pet, that was halfway decent.

I have a LOT of houses. At those houses, I have a LOT of pets. I know at one point, I had well over 1,000 of them roaming around. I finally had to sell off (sigh) hundreds of pets, as I just didn't have the room anymore. But it was sad. In my mind, I was thinking they went to a good home.

Be prepared .... there will be naysayers. The ones who spent so much $$$, time and energy into creating their wonderful pet talents & stats. They will feel the little wizards don't deserve to buy something so nice since they put so much effort into their own pets.

Well, I have many max stat pets (all 250), plus a multitude of talent sets that are pretty darn good. I have no problem having someone 'adopt' one of my pets for their very own. I may have put a lot of effort into my pets, but I'm willing to share!
Thanks for the support! I actually haven't seen any posts about ideas like this, so I hope no one feels like I'm trying to steal their idea.

While it is true that a lot of people won't feel that it is fair for others to just adopt their pets that they put so much time and effort into, those people don't have to put their pets up for adoption. Just like most features in the game, this would be 100% optional! I'm sure that there are a lot of people who don't want to send off their pets to other wizards, but I also feel that there are a lot of people who realize that others could enjoy having them around more than the original wizard did. I mean, if the original wizard wasn't happy with their pets, why would they want to keep them around?

I really doubt that people will put up many "perfect" pets with great talents and/or stats like you are offering (you kind soul, you). Although there will always be charitable people, I think the reality is that most people won't. And that's fine! But whoever wants their pets to have a new home, whether that pet has amazing stats and/or talents or not, I'm hoping a feature like this could make those people happy.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Dawknee on May 2, 2016 wrote:
This is an incredible idea I think and one that really fits and could work really well I think. I always feel bad when I have to trash pets and this is an excellent solution.
I think it'd be really adorable if a building for pet adoptions was added and had little pets walking around on set paths or sitting around. I could see a lot of people hanging out around there.
That sounds really adorable! Thanks for your input

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
BrynnerOfReign on May 2, 2016 wrote:

It's true, there will be people that don't think this is "fair". But really, it's not much different than transferring a high level pet from one wizard to another within your account. I've started several wizards and transferred mega pets to them. Sure, it might seem "unfair" but it's all within the allowed parameters of the game so why not? And it sure is fun to be able to run around with a lvl 1 wizard slaying Dark Fairies with a may-cast pet.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
TucsonWizard on May 4, 2016 wrote:
It's true, there will be people that don't think this is "fair". But really, it's not much different than transferring a high level pet from one wizard to another within your account. I've started several wizards and transferred mega pets to them. Sure, it might seem "unfair" but it's all within the allowed parameters of the game so why not? And it sure is fun to be able to run around with a lvl 1 wizard slaying Dark Fairies with a may-cast pet.
Now that I think about it, it really is similar to that--transferring a pet from one wizard to another. Having a mega/ultra pet on a low level wizard isn't necessarily unfair. All the work that went into that pet is still 100% valid and should be appreciated! And honestly, it's loads of fun to be an overpowered novice.

And like you said, it's within the allowed parameters of the game. If KI didn't think it was fair, they probably wouldn't allow players to do that in the first place.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2014
hi just browsing through and love the idea of adopting pets, another idea along the same vein perhaps, How about gifting them like the booster packs. I know that some of my wizards have had unexpected help while adventuring and it would be great to be able to give them a pet that they could use rather than me having a fire foo dog for my storm wizard and my fire already has it, i could give it to someone that could use it and love it too.
thanks for the discussion topic, again, love the idea

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
frosta5 on May 6, 2016 wrote:
hi just browsing through and love the idea of adopting pets, another idea along the same vein perhaps, How about gifting them like the booster packs. I know that some of my wizards have had unexpected help while adventuring and it would be great to be able to give them a pet that they could use rather than me having a fire foo dog for my storm wizard and my fire already has it, i could give it to someone that could use it and love it too.
thanks for the discussion topic, again, love the idea
Ooo!

That sounds really awesome! That would be so nice to give pets as presents--almost like a quest reward haha! Maybe to branch the two ideas together you could select from your friends list on who to send the pet to at the adoption center.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Just a few restrictions that have to be put into place. This would set the system similar to what we had when the Bazaar sold pets.

1. No hybrids. There is no set pedigree on hybrids. For this, they would become No Auction.
2. All other pets must be set to baby with their normal pedigree and skills, which evens out the "buying" field.
3. No jewels. All jewels will be destroyed.

If these rules are not followed, then the higher the pet, the more it costs, which can add up to be some pretty high prices.

Remember, back in the day, people purchased pets because they looked good. I feel as if this system would become something similar if ever implemented.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Shannon Skybreaker on May 11, 2016 wrote:
Just a few restrictions that have to be put into place. This would set the system similar to what we had when the Bazaar sold pets.

1. No hybrids. There is no set pedigree on hybrids. For this, they would become No Auction.
2. All other pets must be set to baby with their normal pedigree and skills, which evens out the "buying" field.
3. No jewels. All jewels will be destroyed.

If these rules are not followed, then the higher the pet, the more it costs, which can add up to be some pretty high prices.

Remember, back in the day, people purchased pets because they looked good. I feel as if this system would become something similar if ever implemented.

Best of luck!
S.S.
Yes! Of course there will be set rules! And honestly, the set of rules you came up with all sound perfectly fair!

I remember when pets were there just because. It was so much fun to see all the different types and really helped players present their interests! It still is and does, but it feels like for the most part, now it's more about what card(s) a pet comes with and how well they would be of use to their wizard, rather than a wizard genuinely liking their pet as is. And I'd love for a bit of that feeling to come back!

A lot of people say that when it comes down to it, pets are just code and pixels in the game, which is absolutely true, but, I, among many other players, think of our in game pets as, well, pets! It all ties into the RPG aspect of the game!

Thanks for your support and thoughts, Shannon

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
A pet bazaar or just adding pets to the bazaar would be cool, but with all the restrictions they'd wind up putting on it I don't know if it would really be worth it. I mean it would just be all pets at baby level, and what would they do with pets that are not first generation? Like the bazaar is just stacks of items, but they couldn't really put all pets of the same type in a stack because if they are not first generation then they all would have totally different talent pools. No one would have any idea what they were buying. Person 1 could go in and purchase x pet type and wind up with all amazing talents in the pool and person 2 could go in and purchase the exact same pet type for the same amount of gold and wind up with all selfish talents. Obviously pet training is mostly luck anyway, but at least as it is you pretty much know what taletns are in the pool and what your pet has a chance at manifesting. Then I'm sure they'd make any crowns pets no auction which would limit the body types you could purchase.

And so if they reverted all pet talent pools to first generation status and didn't allow hybrids... then really there wouldn't be much point. We can already sell pets to vendors, so I think that's a perfectly good option for anyone who has a tough time hitting the trash button and who is winding up with a lot of clutter.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Iridian010 on May 12, 2016 wrote:
A pet bazaar or just adding pets to the bazaar would be cool, but with all the restrictions they'd wind up putting on it I don't know if it would really be worth it. I mean it would just be all pets at baby level, and what would they do with pets that are not first generation? Like the bazaar is just stacks of items, but they couldn't really put all pets of the same type in a stack because if they are not first generation then they all would have totally different talent pools. No one would have any idea what they were buying. Person 1 could go in and purchase x pet type and wind up with all amazing talents in the pool and person 2 could go in and purchase the exact same pet type for the same amount of gold and wind up with all selfish talents. Obviously pet training is mostly luck anyway, but at least as it is you pretty much know what taletns are in the pool and what your pet has a chance at manifesting. Then I'm sure they'd make any crowns pets no auction which would limit the body types you could purchase.

And so if they reverted all pet talent pools to first generation status and didn't allow hybrids... then really there wouldn't be much point. We can already sell pets to vendors, so I think that's a perfectly good option for anyone who has a tough time hitting the trash button and who is winding up with a lot of clutter.
You make a really solid point about whether or not it would be worth it if they had all those restrictions and rules on it. Any restriction is possible, and I really doubt KI will consider pet adoption with all those points you mentioned, but again, it's not confirmed on how many restrictions they will have for pets.

I am hoping that there might be some kind of an option when you set up a pet for resetting it to a baby, to its first generation or keeping it as it is. It's a very slim chance of that, if not any at all of that happening, but that's just how I pictured it :p

It's hard for me to trash or sell a pet, but it's probably just me being oversensitive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was just an idea! You made some really solid points so even I'm not sure about it anymore! All we can do is see what happens, if anything happens at all :U

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
There should be 'light' restrictions.

- Some of the school pets should be restricted for purchase until a wizard reaches the level they would have obtained that pet (48, 58, 78, etc)

- Sold pets would have their manifested talents 'unmanifested'. All of the talents would still be there, and when a wizard buys the pet, they would have to train it to get the original manifested talents back. That way, the wizard who purchased the pet, has to put a little work into it.

- All pets should be sold, even hybrids, no matter what the pedigree/talents/stats are.

- Pets would be priced accordingly. Some may be very expensive, but it doesn't take long to get a lot of gold.

- It would be fun (I think) to have a little quest you do somewhere in the Spiral that would give you some snacks and/or points that could take your pet to teen. This could really inspire people to continue training their pet(s), especially when the first talent is halfway decent.

Survivor
Apr 29, 2016
I think this idea of having a pet adoption is really nice. They should put the building in the Pet Pavilion so that wizards can chat with other wizards if they like each others pets. I have a fire bat in the egg hatchery waiting to be hatched and I don't know what to do with my fire cat and my blood bat. I think it would be nice if I could give to some beginner players because the stats are kinda' high and that would be use useful to them.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2013
Well if you could there could be good things and BAD things about it. THE GOOD: If you could adopt pets that could save A LOT of time farming which is great! THE BAD: There might be a lot of scams or just plain lies about someone showing off how many pets the got from the pet adoption. THE UGLY: It could be possible that one person can hoard one pet to make it rare. After everything i'd support this doesn't seem like a bad idea

Delver
Aug 05, 2013
Yah good idea but this would be abused. Getting pets from crown shop and trying to get pets from packs would be worthless and KI would lose money. I understand you don't want to "trash" pets but keep in reminder in wizard city it never rains and its very happy. It is very cheerful and likely that some NPC would pick them up and adopt them and feed them.

Thing is is that pets give advantages and finding the most op of pets in an adoption chamber when other people look down at them and then they reminisice on how hard it was to get the pet. It would erupt in anger. Its basically a crown pet thats 6000 crowns that some rich kid put in the adoption chamber to tease all of those other guys who got crowns for their birthday to get the crowns. Its like saying Step right up and get an op arena pet that a booster( someone who takes advantage of low level noob pvpers and gets the most op of gear to destroy them ) gives away! While all the other warlords cry at how hard they worked!

No way case closed explained.

Devin Skullstone Lvl 76 balance wizard
on his way to warlord fighting warlords :/

Survivor
Nov 08, 2015
I believe this a good part of the game to acquire, do to the large amount of pets us wizards obtain and have to "trash" at-least if this can't be done for some reason change "trash" to sell or something.

Survivor
Aug 20, 2012
Yes but i think that people should have to pay for them because if you get an ultra pet for free insn't that sort of like cheating?

Survivor
Jan 06, 2013
This would be so usefull i have around three pages of untrained pets that i got from bosses an adoption area or just a place for dropping off pets you dont want would be so useful

Survivor
Jun 11, 2016
Yes please!! I have quite a few pets that I don't need, and I would love it for others to be able to have them! And as others have said, I think there should be restrictions.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Going off some of the posts already made about how this might not work, what if pets put up for adoption became purely cosmetic and you couldn't use them for hatching, like the "good ol' days" before advanced pets? Back in the day I would have considered this a cheap shortcut for getting exclusive pets or something, but nowadays, next to nobody hatches for looks so I personally don't see much of an issue with it- unless somebody else thinks of a reason why this wouldn't work either.

I've quite often wanted pets for their appearance (mostly for house decorating) and am often supremely frustrated that there a pretty pets that happen to also be elusive hoard pack pets; I have always wanted a leaf foot pet for my dino-themed Island Getaway, but I'd have to either spend a ton of money on packs or hope and pray that some SPUD, SPUFD, or whatever acronym represents the current popular setup, hatcher would be willing to hatch with one of my wimpy pets until I got what I wanted. Purely cosmetic pet adoption would be a lifesaver.