Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

No Gender Specific Gear/You Get To Choose Style

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 14, 2014
Starblood653 on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:
I like this idea. There have absolutely been times when I've liked one gender's clothing and thought it was completely doofy on the other gender. I've also been continually frustrated by the fact that guys almost always get longer capes and girls are expected to be fine with dorky short capes. I was really excited about the hawkrider gear until I saw that it looked completely lame on my female characters, for example. I would like an option in the dye shop to alter our gear and switch freely between gender options for the clothing.
I understand, and I see many of the guys wearing long capes. There's also the outfits with the capes where the border comes down and meet in the middle. Please don't tell me only the boys get that outfit.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2014
You could just... Make a male character. It's just polygons in a video game, it's not representative of your own being necessarily. I've made female characters in games before just because I liked the armor style and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Not that I'm saying there's any accusations of shame being thrown around. Just making a point.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Kane Soulweaver on Apr 24, 2016 wrote:
You could just... Make a male character. It's just polygons in a video game, it's not representative of your own being necessarily. I've made female characters in games before just because I liked the armor style and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Not that I'm saying there's any accusations of shame being thrown around. Just making a point.
We shouldn't have to make a male/female character if we don't want to, just to enjoy a certain fashion.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2009
Why not just make a male character? Most the gear is already basically the same, except a few robe and stuff. I don't really care either way, just saying.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2012
Well you may not like it and want it to be changed, but some things cannot be changed. There is a lot of new gear every world, right now there is A LOT of gear in the bazaar and other places, it would be way too much trouble for kingsisle to code-over all of the gear (like 1000 pieces of gear) to make it so girls can wear boys gear because some people "dont like it". Who knows, maybe if you go into the bazaar you'll find some less feminine gear that suits you. Kingisles job isn't easy so you gotta understand the position they are in. The gear is perfectly fine imo.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
shadowfusion9289 on Apr 26, 2016 wrote:
Well you may not like it and want it to be changed, but some things cannot be changed. There is a lot of new gear every world, right now there is A LOT of gear in the bazaar and other places, it would be way too much trouble for kingsisle to code-over all of the gear (like 1000 pieces of gear) to make it so girls can wear boys gear because some people "dont like it". Who knows, maybe if you go into the bazaar you'll find some less feminine gear that suits you. Kingisles job isn't easy so you gotta understand the position they are in. The gear is perfectly fine imo.
I'm sure that many players here wouldn't wish to ask KI to code-over present gear, but to take into consideration the wishes of many players for non-gender specific clothing.
And FYI, just because it's "perfectly fine" with you doesn't mean that KI shouldn't take note of player's preferences. They listen to feed-back and may consider changes in future gear, not only in the game, but in future bundles and packs.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
fruit salad on Apr 26, 2016 wrote:
Why not just make a male character? Most the gear is already basically the same, except a few robe and stuff. I don't really care either way, just saying.
It may be beneficial to read comments that all ready answer your question.

The point that has been made in a few of these responses is that nobody should have to make a character of the opposite gender just in order to have the looks they want.

We should have the choice of the way we present ourselves.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
Yeah, I saw the guardian outfit and the pvp cloak, and it really could have been made better for females. I mean making capes smaller and the less bulky is one thing. But seriously, no cape? No armor at all? Also for the Sabatons of frozen fur, the female image looks just right and it looks really shiny and clear, but the male version looks really blocky and blurry, and dirty. So I would love it if every item looks equally cool for both females and males.

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
I don't agree with male wizards getting to wear dresses, I think it is fine the way it is.

Explorer
Dec 02, 2014
Lenora Dusk on Apr 7, 2016 wrote:
I am writing this topic to speak about an issue that I feel very strongly about. I feel very strongly about how the female character models are subjected to wearing dresses and fancier wear and not able to wear more masculine armor. Now there is gear that is gender neutral and share the same model on both but I believe that it is not fair that the Guardian's outfits look different for both gender models. If I want to wear a more masculine armor with a cape and not wings and a cloak I should have every right to make that decision for my character. This is a problem in a lot of video games, the females always have to wear the feminine clothing or flimsy armor. The PvP armor Cloak of
Invincibility (I believe is the name) is the same way. It is not fair that the female models don't have the option to have it look like actual armor like the male's but we have to look pretty with wings and a cloak. I also have a problem with the Hallowe'en gear with the skeleton head and hat, why should that be only for males too? As a female who plays video games, I shouldn't have to conform to being feminine. I spent my money on this game and on those Guardian outfits and I cant have the option to wear masculine gear? I think this should be addressed. It is not fair to us. Please try and understand the frustration that I have. I don't want to have to make a male character to enjoy those outfits. You could always give the option before it is redeemed if the player wishes to have it
look like the model they prefer. I understand that the outfits are built to fit that character model but I am sure changes could be tweaked to fit the body.

Thank you for reading and understanding, do you agree and believe this should be changed? Gear has no gender!

Thanks,
A very strong girl who loves all gear types--not just feminine!
Lenora Dusk (Death Wizard)
ok I agree but I male ok

so I always wanted to the witch outfit for my guy but I don't want the long hair and dress and junk but I do want some smiler in way but made for a guy just like for the female I think they should have the option to be a skull person to just in a female way you know dose not mean change it were one is better then the other just make it were they look silmer but made for a female or male

as for the warlord gear well I have to agree here to like if I want the cape I should have the option of that or buying one with like wings still think it should be base on male and female looks but in a way that it feels like your getting the same outfit as the other person this way people don't fill like there getting the short end of the stick because don't get me wrong being able to have the wings would be cool but I wouldn't wanna have to wear a dress for it same gose with the witch thing I don't wanna look like a girl I wanna look like male witch I think that's a warlock but you get my point make it wear the outfits are fair to both male and female

last thing I think there should be more colors in the game like rainbow pink and just all sorta colors for both male and female because I a guy but sometimes I wanna wear pink because I like the color and if you got a problem with that get over it because I will never change!

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
dayerider on Apr 12, 2016 wrote:
Why not an option in the clothing dye shop, to change the style of the clothing instead of dying it? This way, we can pick whatever clothing style we want? So, we can dye it, AND change the outward look of it. I'll say this though, I dont think it's needed.
This will never happen, although I do think it should and I do think it's necessary.

They claim technical reasons for why male and female characters don't even have the same dye palette. Never will they allow a boy to wear a dress.

Explorer
Mar 14, 2010
My female character wears a Halloween robe. I wish she could sport the same look the guys have with the cook skeleton outfit, or even interchange pieces. It would be nice with all gender specific clothing.