Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PVP - Catch of the Day needs a buff

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 07, 2011
The title of the topic speaks for itself, my reasons:

- triblades make the removal effect useless in pvp, so i personally prefer the original version with enfeeble
- dropped spells were meant to be tougher than trained and quest achieved spells, so KI would have created CotD with a higher damage (a bit less than Stormzilla's, but close to it)

Suggestion:

-1. slightly increase the damage and replace the 2 blades removal effect with enfeeble
-2. if point 1 cannot be implemented, then increase the damage (by 100-150) OR add enfeeble instead of the current perk

cheers,

Tristan (level 100 ) and Jesse Dreamcrafter (level 38 )

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
Jerry Saibot on May 19, 2015 wrote:

- triblades make the removal effect useless in pvp, so i personally prefer the original version with enfeeble
- dropped spells were meant to be tougher than trained and quest achieved spells, so KI would have created CotD with a higher damage (a bit less than Stormzilla's, but close to it)

Suggestion:

-1. slightly increase the damage and replace the 2 blades removal effect with enfeeble
-2. if point 1 cannot be implemented, then increase the damage (by 100-150) OR add enfeeble instead of the current perk

cheers,

spell is fine and know storm meant be stronger and to overpower so, don't think need buff because most high damage,critical,armor pierce!

when life going get AOE?

WHNE ice going get better spell (make useful) ice need spell with weakness or dispel and spell I most want crafting for ice either: ice efreet or frost dragon

least can't for more shadow pips (hoping made shadow enhanced spell part 2 make (ice/life with aoe spell only)

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Jerry Saibot on May 19, 2015 wrote:

Suggestion:

cheers,

I agree. Enfeeble, more damage, or one pip lower cost would be appropriate.

Defender
Mar 10, 2014
i think it is fine the way it is. remember that people can get this spell at level 35. i think that adding enfeable would be to over powered and making it 4 pips would lead to using it over and over again like people do with loremaster.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Fred Frost on May 22, 2015 wrote:
i think it is fine the way it is. remember that people can get this spell at level 35. i think that adding enfeable would be to over powered and making it 4 pips would lead to using it over and over again like people do with loremaster.
Whether it can be acquired at 35 is irrelevant since most schools can acquire many of their lore spells even before lvl 35.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
Storms are crazy. Catch of the Day is fine how it is. Seriously people. The spell is easy to get, I mean the boss is pathetic, and you need a wooden key to get in, the easiest key to get. Come on. Every storm can get that spell easy and it's a lore spell. Why make it any more powerful? The other schools have a lot harder time getting their lore stuff and now you want to make the storm spell more powerful? No offense, but that's crazy.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
Fred Frost on May 22, 2015 wrote:
They can actually get it earlier, Fred. But you are correct on every other aspect.

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
Look at the leaderboard and try to find a magus storm, you will find only a few. Catch of the day needs a buff in order to improve storm's chance in the arena.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Shadow 343 on May 25, 2015 wrote:
Storms are crazy. Catch of the Day is fine how it is. Seriously people. The spell is easy to get, I mean the boss is pathetic, and you need a wooden key to get in, the easiest key to get. Come on. Every storm can get that spell easy and it's a lore spell. Why make it any more powerful? The other schools have a lot harder time getting their lore stuff and now you want to make the storm spell more powerful? No offense, but that's crazy.
Er what, many other classes can get their spells a whole lot easier than Catch of the Day. Catch of the day requires you to farm for a wooden key to even access the boss that drops the spell wheras most other schools simply have to fight loremaster which has no barrier to entry and much milder cheats. The reason to buff this spell is given in my other thread. Every other lore spell with an effect is above dpp except for Catch of The Day- a clear discrepancy.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
I find that if Catch of The Day were to get its Enfeeble effect back, the level limit would have to be raised to something higher than 80, as many schools (such as Ice) need to stack blades to take out a Storm wizard. If a Storm wizard will be able to consistently remove a school's bladestack in the lower level meta, this spell may be a bit overpowered.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
Eric Stormbringer on May 26, 2015 wrote:
Er what, many other classes can get their spells a whole lot easier than Catch of the Day. Catch of the day requires you to farm for a wooden key to even access the boss that drops the spell wheras most other schools simply have to fight loremaster which has no barrier to entry and much milder cheats. The reason to buff this spell is given in my other thread. Every other lore spell with an effect is above dpp except for Catch of The Day- a clear discrepancy.
the lore spells i am talking about are the newer ones. not that any but death and storm have come out yet, but you get my point. anyway, a wooden skeleton key is super easy to collect. It's really not that hard. And the boss is pretty pathetic so overall: Catch of the Day is a very easy spell to collect and thus it would just be crazy to boost it.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Shadow 343 on May 28, 2015 wrote:
the lore spells i am talking about are the newer ones. not that any but death and storm have come out yet, but you get my point. anyway, a wooden skeleton key is super easy to collect. It's really not that hard. And the boss is pretty pathetic so overall: Catch of the Day is a very easy spell to collect and thus it would just be crazy to boost it.
Three schools received new spells:
Fire: Above dpp and entirely new spell type
Life: Above dpp and effect
Storm: Significantly below dpp and effect.

See the discrepancy?

As for being easy to collect-it is easier than the new Lore spells but harder than the old Lore spells while being significantly weaker than all of them in terms of expected dpp. Thus it would be equitable-not crazy to boost it.

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
Shadow 343 on May 25, 2015 wrote:
"the boss is pathetic" you sure about that? Are you saying that just because he doesn't have hit points in 5-digit numbers? Looking at his page, http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Creature:Takanobu_the_Masterless the amount of cheats he has is ridiculous, and I don't think many lvl 35s can handle that without higher 60s or higher teamates. Of course, I've never faced him, but bosses on W101 tend to be harder than their pages suggest. And remember, you have to farm for this, so that means you are going to have to face him God knows how many times. Also, I might be biased as my only wizard above lvl ten is my grandmaster Storm, but I don't think I am. I am satisfied with the spell as is, and I am more interested in nerfing the boss. But you are acting as if the very idea is ludicrous, when it is not. It is a legitimate opinion, at the very least, and you are acting as if they want to make the basic Tower Shield -90%.

David Thundermancer 56

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
Eric Stormbringer on May 28, 2015 wrote:

See the discrepancy?

As for being easy to collect-it is easier than the new Lore spells but harder than the old Lore spells while being significantly weaker than all of them in terms of expected dpp. Thus it would be equitable-not crazy to boost it.
Sorry, what is "dpp"?

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
Eric Stormbringer on May 28, 2015 wrote:

See the discrepancy?

I did make it quite clear that only a few new lore spells have come out. And we're not talking at all about the old lore spells. Just the new ones. And, yeah Catch of the Day is pretty easy to get. a wooden skeleton key, the easiest to get. You can get it almost guaranteed in the marlybone dungeon and the boss is pretty pathetic.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
NeoNebula17 on May 29, 2015 wrote:
Sorry, what is "dpp"?
Dpp is damage per pip.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Shadow 343 on May 30, 2015 wrote:
I did make it quite clear that only a few new lore spells have come out. And we're not talking at all about the old lore spells. Just the new ones. And, yeah Catch of the Day is pretty easy to get. a wooden skeleton key, the easiest to get. You can get it almost guaranteed in the marlybone dungeon and the boss is pretty pathetic.
First of all this boss is the hardest boss in mooshu. How is that "pathetic"? Second of all- ease of acquisition does not equate to this spell not following the trends that almost all the other lore spells follow.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on May 31, 2015 wrote:
First of all this boss is the hardest boss in mooshu. How is that "pathetic"? Second of all- ease of acquisition does not equate to this spell not following the trends that almost all the other lore spells follow.
If your statements hold true, it could easily be argued that the other new spells should be made more accessible to lower levels. It's an easier boss that's more accessible for a worse spell, as would make sense.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Aaron SpellThief on Jun 1, 2015 wrote:
If your statements hold true, it could easily be argued that the other new spells should be made more accessible to lower levels. It's an easier boss that's more accessible for a worse spell, as would make sense.
That would be true if not for the trend established by the other lore spells. Loremaster is by far the best of the Lore spells yet it is the same acquisition barrier as many of the others. Similarly-Catch of the Day ignores the trend of the other lore spells even though it is harder to acquire. This suggests no correlation between acquisition and power.

Defender
Apr 07, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Jun 1, 2015 wrote:
Actually Takanobu is harder then the Loremaster and you need wooden keys first. Yes, you can farm for keys with your exalted, but its still time consumting as the drop rate of keys are around 25-30%.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Jerry Saibot on Jun 3, 2015 wrote:
Actually Takanobu is harder then the Loremaster and you need wooden keys first. Yes, you can farm for keys with your exalted, but its still time consumting as the drop rate of keys are around 25-30%.
As I said, new spells. It's not exactly realistic to compare these spells to loremaster spells, as if that is the case, the other two spells need to be made a lot easier to get, as I said before. With the spells that came out during the jewel update, the more powerful spells are dropped by more powerful and harder to get to bosses, as would make sense. If we're talking about buffing catch of the day, why not buff goat monk, samoorai, etc? Because they're dropped from bosses that are not difficult.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Aaron SpellThief on Jun 3, 2015 wrote:
As I said, new spells. It's not exactly realistic to compare these spells to loremaster spells, as if that is the case, the other two spells need to be made a lot easier to get, as I said before. With the spells that came out during the jewel update, the more powerful spells are dropped by more powerful and harder to get to bosses, as would make sense. If we're talking about buffing catch of the day, why not buff goat monk, samoorai, etc? Because they're dropped from bosses that are not difficult.
Why is it not realistic? They are all dropped spells. As for the more powerful spells being dropped by harder bosses. Burning Rampage is the most powerful spell dropped and yet it is dropped in Avalon while the Life spell is comparitively less powerful and dropped at Aphrodite. Furthermore Catch of the Day is harder to acquire than the old lore spells but yet relatively weaker defying the trend you are trying to establish. Finally Goat Monk Samoorai and Ninja Pigs do not need buffing because they are above dpp. Catch of the Day on the other hand is significantly below dpp- becoming the weakest dpp storm spell outside of low end bolt.

Delver
Dec 04, 2013
Eric Stormbringer on Jun 6, 2015 wrote:
Why is it not realistic? They are all dropped spells. As for the more powerful spells being dropped by harder bosses. Burning Rampage is the most powerful spell dropped and yet it is dropped in Avalon while the Life spell is comparitively less powerful and dropped at Aphrodite. Furthermore Catch of the Day is harder to acquire than the old lore spells but yet relatively weaker defying the trend you are trying to establish. Finally Goat Monk Samoorai and Ninja Pigs do not need buffing because they are above dpp. Catch of the Day on the other hand is significantly below dpp- becoming the weakest dpp storm spell outside of low end bolt.
Dude, you are comparing an eagle with a fox here. Aaron is right. You can't compare two different things and say they are won. That's pretty common sense if you ask me.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Shadow 343 on Jun 8, 2015 wrote:
Dude, you are comparing an eagle with a fox here. Aaron is right. You can't compare two different things and say they are won. That's pretty common sense if you ask me.
I am comparing the trends of the crafted/dropped spells. The majority of these spells follow a higher dpp for effect with the exception of Catch and krampus. As a result those spells are out of trend with the other/crafted dropped spells and thus deserve a buff.