Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Ice hound Too OP? (Overpowered)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 20, 2011
I feel like Ice hound is too OP in my opinion.

Stats of the spells:

Storm hound: 70% accuracy, 130 damage (damage over time)
Heck hound (original spell): 75% accuracy, 130 damage (damage over time)
Ice hound: 80% accuracy (okay, since most ice spells are 80%), 635-715 damage (no damage over time)

I think it's OP because:
  1. Ice is naturally weaker than Fire and Storm (It says so in the game)
  2. The spell does not have to be 7 pips. It's unnecessary.
  3. The spell should be a D.O.T. like the rest of the 'hound spells, so that it's fair.

How I think the card should be so that is more fair:

80% accuracy, 130 damage (damage over time)

If you think the spell is fine how it is, that's okay. I just wanted to share my thoughts and opinion on this spell and see if anybody agrees with me.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It's already much weaker than the storm and fire versions. Ice = 91-101 damage per pip, the storm and fire versions do 130 per pip. Your "solution" would make it overpowered.

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
How exactly do you get ice hound anyways? All I know about it is that you can get it from a no auction amulet. In my opinion, if you have to farm to get something it should be worth it and if the ice hound card is not trainable then it should have a few perks to it.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
It is weaker. Fire and storm do 130 damage per pip, where ice does about 102 damage per pip, tops. It's perfectly fine.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
  • It costs 7 pips, so it isn't a very efficient card. Opponents have a lot of time to shield, place weaknesses or dispels, force that player to heal, etc. A slightly more efficient spell is Blight Hound, another treasure card, which deals 435-515 damage at 5 pips.

• If you need to play Ice Treasure cards, consider these choices: Arcticzilla, Blue Phoenix, and Frostzilla. They have more damage per pip than any other ice treasure or item card.

• Ice Hound doesn't exist as a learnable spell, only as an item card or treasure card, so it can't be enchanted with monstrous, gargantuan, etc.

• You may be interested to know, there is a pet that gives an X-rank ice damage over time card. Hail Hound (from the Rescue Rover pet) gives 120 per pip damage over 3 rounds.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
That's 130 damage/pip. At 7 pips, that's 910 damage, over 3 rounds.

Comparing apples to apples, the Ice Hound is weaker than it's storm and fire equivalents as far as overall damage delivered (per pip spent), which is consistent with point 1 that you made.