Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best pet talents

AuthorMessage
Champion
Aug 15, 2012
What are the best pet talents I should aim for when training my pet? I want these to work for all wizards I make so I don't want any school specific accuracy/damage etc. I'm not really offensive or defensive and adapt to the situation but a few healing abilities would be helpful.
Sarai Thunderstrider
Grandmaster

Defender
Jul 11, 2013
Champion
Aug 15, 2012
I am planning on spritely but I heard that the fairy friend casting rate was reduced. Is that true?

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
I've narrowed the talents I want down to:
  • pain giver
  • spritely
  • fairy friend
  • unicorn
  • energizing battery
  • spell proof
  • spell defying
Since there's only five non-derby talents, I don't know which to cut and which to keep. Thanks
Sarai Thunderstrider
Grandmaster

Explorer
May 29, 2014
Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
glowstorm13 on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
I am planning on spritely but I heard that the fairy friend casting rate was reduced. Is that true?
Spritely was adjusted prior to Fairy Friend. Altho Spritely was only supposed to be adjusted so it didn't cast while you were at full health some of my pets no longer cast it at all.

In the end healing pets in general have become an issue. I can go hours of battle time and not see any heals. I am pretty sure they are talents we should learn not to depend on any more.

I have always wanted a Unicorn, Spritely, Fairy Friend, Spell Proof and Defy pet. I have yet to hatch with any one that has defy in manifested talents. I have many fails but have managed to get Spell Proof, Fairy Friend and Unicorn pretty regular now. My 4th talent is usually a fail.

Mary

Defender
Aug 03, 2011
In my personal opinion, I would want just two basic talents first. You want a heal, and a school may cast blade. Nothing better than an extra blade in a battle that doesn't cancel out other blades. A heal is usually a good idea. For heal, I would suggest Spritely, because it is more common than fairy, even though it has 70 less heal. I once had a pet sprite me 4 times in a row(Fantasy Palace hound). Next, find accuracy. Accuracy is good for attacks. If you can attack effectively and consistently, the battles are much better(especially for storm). Your fourth talent should be a may cast shield of some kind. If you can get Tower Shield on your pet, your opponent can barely harm you. Your fifth talent should be something defensive. That can be shield, resist, weakness, heal, or dispel. It's entirely up to you. This is just my personal choice. You can edit a few things, or just choose none of them at all. I hope this helps in some way!

Survivor
May 01, 2013
"Spritely was adjusted prior to Fairy Friend. Altho Spritely was only supposed to be adjusted so it didn't cast while you were at full health some of my pets no longer cast it at all.

In the end healing pets in general have become an issue. I can go hours of battle time and not see any heals. I am pretty sure they are talents we should learn not to depend on any more.

I have always wanted a Unicorn, Spritely, Fairy Friend, Spell Proof and Defy pet. I have yet to hatch with any one that has defy in manifested talents. I have many fails but have managed to get Spell Proof, Fairy Friend and Unicorn pretty regular now. My 4th talent is usually a fail."

Dear Northlight aka Mary,

I have a fragmented dragon that has spritely, fairy, healing current, Critical hitter and Spell proof. I was very successful the First Time! And so have been many of my friends that I have hatched with. If you like I will hatch with you
if you like. She is a spam healer and triple heals me daily. I train in Wu realm dailey afternoons at 2pm Pacific standard. Let me know if you would like a chance to hatch. Its no problem. My name is Kelly Firedreamer, Exalted Death Wiz.

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
Northlite on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
Spritely was adjusted prior to Fairy Friend. Altho Spritely was only supposed to be adjusted so it didn't cast while you were at full health some of my pets no longer cast it at all.

I have always wanted a Unicorn, Spritely, Fairy Friend, Spell Proof and Defy pet. I have yet to hatch with any one that has defy in manifested talents. I have many fails but have managed to get Spell Proof, Fairy Friend and Unicorn pretty regular now. My 4th talent is usually a fail.

Mary
proof and defy are essentially the same thing. resistance to spells. I've got a currently ancient storm beetle right now with critical, proof and defy.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
lalabugu on Sep 26, 2014 wrote:
"Spritely was adjusted prior to Fairy Friend. Altho Spritely was only supposed to be adjusted so it didn't cast while you were at full health some of my pets no longer cast it at all.

I have always wanted a Unicorn, Spritely, Fairy Friend, Spell Proof and Defy pet. I have yet to hatch with any one that has defy in manifested talents. I have many fails but have managed to get Spell Proof, Fairy Friend and Unicorn pretty regular now. My 4th talent is usually a fail."

Dear Northlight aka Mary,

I have a fragmented dragon that has spritely, fairy, healing current, Critical hitter and Spell proof. I was very successful the First Time! And so have been many of my friends that I have hatched with. If you like I will hatch with you
if you like. She is a spam healer and triple heals me daily. I train in Wu realm dailey afternoons at 2pm Pacific standard. Let me know if you would like a chance to hatch. Its no problem. My name is Kelly Firedreamer, Exalted Death Wiz.
I thank you so much for your offer but I have managed to get defy from a random hatch in a Nightwalker which I rehatched, third time was a charm, with my best Enchanted Armament pet. I really want to stick with Fiary, Unicorn combo as I find spritely less effective in higher world questing, aka, Avalon.

I started another garden for the task and hope to get a few armors done. I may get Spritely or Energizing Battery at any time as that is in the original armors back ground. Least I am not seeing any more Myth traps or Fire shields, lol.

Keep spreading the talents though.

Mary

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
The ones I really like are Spell Proof, Sharp Shot, Pip O Plenty, Pain Giver, and Defender. Having all of those talents doesn't give me a massive boost in one area, but gives me a little something extra in all of the areas where I want to see my stats improved.

So far I've got one pet that has all of those talents except for Defender. I've got a few pets now that have Defender, but all of my hatches from those parents wind up with some other talent I didn't want at some point in training. Chances are one of those pets has all 5 of the talents I want, they just weren't selected at the advancement stage.

Sometimes I wish Dr. Purreau had some sort of contraption that could swap talents. Not give your pet talents it wasn't born with, but swap out a talent it learned with one it had the potential to learn. I'd pay Crowns for that.

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
glowstorm13 on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
What are the best pet talents I should aim for when training my pet? I want these to work for all wizards I make so I don't want any school specific accuracy/damage etc. I'm not really offensive or defensive and adapt to the situation but a few healing abilities would be helpful.
Sarai Thunderstrider
Grandmaster
SPUDF
1. Spritely. May cast sprite spell. Gives you health over time, which can be very useful.
2. Proof. Adds to your universal resistance. Resistance keeps people from doing too much damage on you.
3. Unicorn. May cast unicorn spell. This is important if you are in a group of some sort. After you all take big damage, your pet can heal all of you with this useful spell.
4. Defy. Also adds to your universal resistance. It does not add as much as proof, so when picking a pet, keep in mind that a pet with proof can give you more resistance than a pet with defy.
5. Fairy. May cast fairy spell on your wizard. It's a powerful heal spell that gives all of it's heal to you at once. This can really help your wizard by not having to waste pips in order to heal him or herself.

A pet that is mega and somehow has all these abilities, and defy and proof are at the highest resistance they can give you, that pet is considered the best universal pet you can get. This does not mean that it is the best pet for your wizard specifically, a pet like this would just have the best overall universal talents it could have.

Hope this helped!

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
I have a fail that keeps following me around and I cant seem to get rid of it... I have a pet which is awesome, she has fairy,unicorn, sprite, batusi (which is kind of a fail) and Fortify which is the fail that keeps following me around. No matter what i hatch with, fortify is there.. I thought this pet was going to be an epic win but then at mega it got the blasted Fortify...... meh I would also like to breed out batusi too.. would be awesome to have defy and proof on it...

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
Idony09 on Sep 28, 2014 wrote:
I have a fail that keeps following me around and I cant seem to get rid of it... I have a pet which is awesome, she has fairy,unicorn, sprite, batusi (which is kind of a fail) and Fortify which is the fail that keeps following me around. No matter what i hatch with, fortify is there.. I thought this pet was going to be an epic win but then at mega it got the blasted Fortify...... meh I would also like to breed out batusi too.. would be awesome to have defy and proof on it...

I like Fortify very much with Proof and Defy. It's more help than most other may casts for defense.