Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are storm wizards a hopeless cause?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 22, 2013
I know that many people have debated this time and time again, and I know that many people probably disagree with me, but the benefits of storm wizards still do not equal their losses. Storm wizards were very powerful in the first few worlds, but in some of the later worlds, storm wizards can only survive a few hits. Has anyone in KI even considered boosting storm wizards health (just a little at the least)? Or what about increasing block rating or resistance in storm gear? I know storm wizards are meant for high damage, but it has gotten to the point where some of us barely get the chance to hit.

The only relatively good additions to a storm wizard in Avalon or above are the minion and healing current. Even those two have their limits. The minion has to be used in just the right way otherwise you'll just have wasted pips and most likely be killed or your minion will be killed promptly. As for healing current, to be really worth it, a storm wizard would have to get really lucky and constantly be receiving 400 or 1,000 health from it. Don't get me wrong, healing current is still quite useful, but like the majority of what diviners rely on, its all luck. Just like for pvp, storm wizards can only really become a warlord with insane or wild bolt and a lot of luck. Otherwise, most storm wizards are the equivalent of (health-wise) a regular boss in draganspyre with a little bit of resistance, and I'm talking about storm wizards level 70 and higher. The only way to get good defense and block is to trade basically all damage and critical boost, at best that would make you an ice wizard with barley any health and probably still no where near the same resist or block.

Of course storm wizards have been and always will be my favorite type of wizard, they are just not up to scratch. I've spent too long working on a storm wizard to scrap it and start all over again in a school I'm not comfortable with. I definitely would like all of these changes to occur, but the odds of that are slim. All I want within reason is for KI to just acknowledge my opinion and maybe start off with a subtle change (preferably with storm wizard's health). I doubt that's too absurd to fulfill. I'm certain that I am not the only one to think this, but I hope that this time somebody actually does something about it.

-Blaze NightBlade, level 77 transcendent diviner.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I gave up on Storm a long time ago unless I need a quest done quickly. It has needed more health and resist since 2012, and KI keeps either ignoring this or delaying the change.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I don't know your gear or strategy, but I've played the entire game on Storm, and just finished soloing KR for the second time, so I'm going to respectfully disagree. I know a number of storm warlords, none of whom got there with insane bolt and luck.

Success depends on making the best use of each schools strengths and overcoming the weaknesses.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Storm doesn't need any chage to it's health. Maybe it's just not the school for you. Storm just requires management of resources more than other schools. Get a pet with heal and resist for one thing. I find storm to be one of the best schools for solo play and I don't rely on or even pack any of the "chance" spells.

Exalted

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
The low health, the resistance, the accuracy...it's all crazy making. However so long as I can stay alive long enough to get the spell off..it's worth it to me. I DO want better health stats though. as low as they are for storm it's bloody ridiculous. I'll keep chipping away with mine. I got her up to 65 or 66 yesterday. By and large outside of calling for henchman..I'm doing it all on my own. OTOH I've got death as a secondary, so maybe that's why I've done fairly well. I ran the wintertusk campaign on my own. no help what so ever. even the final dungeon. though I did call a pair of henchman for the final boss fight with Austri, Nestri and the other two brothers.

Connor lvl 90
Alura level 65 or 66

Explorer
Oct 09, 2010
Storm wizards are definitely worth it. Like they may not have a ton of health but you don't need it because tour spells are really strong. My storm guy is my strongest character and i love playing on him. some battles may be hard to solo, but in general its not too bad.

Flint Frogfountain lvl 88
Flint Shadowthief lvl 69
Flint Goldenhammer lvl 37

Explorer
Jun 26, 2012
I soloed through Azteca on my storm, and on my fire I had to get help with almost every single boss in Avalon-Azteca. Storm is fine, it just depends on how you use it and the gear.

-Sean Firesword

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Most will agree Wizard 101 has continued to expand and evolve over time. The latest artwork and content is fantastic, and players are able to experience a greater number of challenging bosses and areas.

Some may argue the storm wizard is a hopeless cause; while others will say storm wizards are overpowered no matter what the topic of discussion is.

Since 2008, other areas of this game have been adjusted to better balance game play. So its a natural leap to want to do the same thing with storm wizards too.

And its because players face a greater number of challenges today, that adjusting up a wizard's health and resistances is both relevant and appropriate.

So while it may be ridiculous to increase any wizard's health by over a thousand health points and resistances by 5-10 percent; improving a storm wizard's health by 100-500 points, and resistances by 2-3 percent is reasonable and in keeping with the increased number of challenges players face today.

So if you could adjust up a storm wizard's health and resistances to adequately face today's challenges; what would you make them, and why?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Tylerwildpants on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
Most will agree Wizard 101 has continued to expand and evolve over time. The latest artwork and content is fantastic, and players are able to experience a greater number of challenging bosses and areas.

Some may argue the storm wizard is a hopeless cause; while others will say storm wizards are overpowered no matter what the topic of discussion is.

Since 2008, other areas of this game have been adjusted to better balance game play. So its a natural leap to want to do the same thing with storm wizards too.

And its because players face a greater number of challenges today, that adjusting up a wizard's health and resistances is both relevant and appropriate.

So while it may be ridiculous to increase any wizard's health by over a thousand health points and resistances by 5-10 percent; improving a storm wizard's health by 100-500 points, and resistances by 2-3 percent is reasonable and in keeping with the increased number of challenges players face today.

So if you could adjust up a storm wizard's health and resistances to adequately face today's challenges; what would you make them, and why?
I agree with the figures you stated, 100-500 health and 2-3% resist is feasible due to added challenges in both PvE and PvP.

Why? Because storm's disadvantage is the only one that ends the duel in an actual loss rather than a situation where you can wait a couple of rounds and try again. Even if you believe you have compensated for Storm's resist and accuracy, there's still no good way to overcome health disadvantage. Healing pets are far less reliable when the span of your health bar is that limited.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2013
um... excuse me? storm wizards can be very powerful. i am a little offended that so many people are calling storm wizard a "helpless cause"