Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A potting shed please :)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 06, 2011
First of all, thank you KI for the yuletide festivities and the days of the spiral, I hope you all had a great Christmas. Now, to the point of the post.

This is where some people may agree and others may go "seriously?". Any of you avid gardeners out there will I am sure agree by the time I reach the end. I'm a forty year old dad who spends a lot of time helping out on quests and being busy in my gardens 'on call' to my daughter if you like!

So, planting too many seeds is bad; your energy can't sustain them and they wither and die. Even if you use the spell sized circle planting method I use, which enables you to get 54 plants under one spell! And planting too little kind of negates the point in having large outside areas at your home. Too much variety causes too many spells to be needed and leads to problems too.
This means that the sensible way to get the best from farming is to plant two or three huge circles containing just one seed, to mimimise the variety of spells needed and maximise the yield of the plants. This way grants the clever gardener with vast amounts of harvest rewards, all sustainable within the player's energy limit.

Unfortunately, this leads to an accumulation of the seeds not being planted until either sufficient numbers are achieved, or until current plants reach elder. Look at snapdragons for example. In all their forms they produce great harvests, Fly Traps do too. But while growing one form, you accumulate the seeds for another possibly better form. That's where the difficulty is.

It doesn't take long until bank, shared bank, attic and backpack are filled just with seeds you intend to plant, leaving no room for other items. Even if you limit each seed variety to a modest six seeds, space diminishes rapidly.

This brings me to my suggestion. Would it be possible (and of course desirable) to have a potting shed or similar, maybe as a crown and/or gold purchase for our houses, which can only store seeds? Perhaps each shed would hold a maximum of for example ten seed varieties and an item limit of say 20 per variety, like a mini, item specific, limited and organised attic for seeds if you like. More avid gardeners would need and buy more sheds, some people would need less and some might not need them at all. A gardener with enough seed storage then gets their backpack and bank space back.

Currently I use a filled shared bank, and the banks of two other characters to hold the seeds i can't plant yet. I'm certainly a very active gardener so the methods I'm resorting to may not apply to everyone, but it shows that I would obviously be glad of such an item, and am sure many others would to.

So KI in particular, what do you think?

Mason Stormcaller

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Mason Stormcaller on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
First of all, thank you KI for the yuletide festivities and the days of the spiral, I hope you all had a great Christmas. Now, to the point of the post.

This is where some people may agree and others may go "seriously?". Any of you avid gardeners out there will I am sure agree by the time I reach the end. I'm a forty year old dad who spends a lot of time helping out on quests and being busy in my gardens 'on call' to my daughter if you like!

So, planting too many seeds is bad; your energy can't sustain them and they wither and die. Even if you use the spell sized circle planting method I use, which enables you to get 54 plants under one spell! And planting too little kind of negates the point in having large outside areas at your home. Too much variety causes too many spells to be needed and leads to problems too.
This means that the sensible way to get the best from farming is to plant two or three huge circles containing just one seed, to mimimise the variety of spells needed and maximise the yield of the plants. This way grants the clever gardener with vast amounts of harvest rewards, all sustainable within the player's energy limit.

Unfortunately, this leads to an accumulation of the seeds not being planted until either sufficient numbers are achieved, or until current plants reach elder. Look at snapdragons for example. In all their forms they produce great harvests, Fly Traps do too. But while growing one form, you accumulate the seeds for another possibly better form. That's where the difficulty is.

It doesn't take long until bank, shared bank, attic and backpack are filled just with seeds you intend to plant, leaving no room for other items. Even if you limit each seed variety to a modest six seeds, space diminishes rapidly.

This brings me to my suggestion. Would it be possible (and of course desirable) to have a potting shed or similar, maybe as a crown and/or gold purchase for our houses, which can only store seeds? Perhaps each shed would hold a maximum of for example ten seed varieties and an item limit of say 20 per variety, like a mini, item specific, limited and organised attic for seeds if you like. More avid gardeners would need and buy more sheds, some people would need less and some might not need them at all. A gardener with enough seed storage then gets their backpack and bank space back.

Currently I use a filled shared bank, and the banks of two other characters to hold the seeds i can't plant yet. I'm certainly a very active gardener so the methods I'm resorting to may not apply to everyone, but it shows that I would obviously be glad of such an item, and am sure many others would to.

So KI in particular, what do you think?

Mason Stormcaller
people have been asking for new storage capacities for seeds for a while now. The major concerns they have are space; it just takes up too much of it (as you correctly state). The easiest fix for this, would be to allow for stacking, the same way reagents stack; both in our backpack and in our banks. I like your idea to give us a modified bank and if we couldn't get full stacking ability (the most desired option), your solution would fill in quite well.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
For sure! We need better seed storage. A seed bank would be great. They should stack the way reagents and snacks do.

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
Survivor
Dec 06, 2011
dayerider on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
people have been asking for new storage capacities for seeds for a while now. The major concerns they have are space; it just takes up too much of it (as you correctly state). The easiest fix for this, would be to allow for stacking, the same way reagents stack; both in our backpack and in our banks. I like your idea to give us a modified bank and if we couldn't get full stacking ability (the most desired option), your solution would fill in quite well.
Agreed, stacking would be the absolute best solution. Even if the stack only went say 20 deep, it would still be far better than the current method. I hadn't actually thought of the stacking idea, and I kinda like it more than mine :D