Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Talent help!?!?!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
So i saw this Wizard with a pet with two resist, and i was like " woah!" so i asked him what was the talents and he said spell defy and spell proof. My pet has spell proof and he said i need to hatch with someone that has spell defy and hope to get both. Right, so i tried three pets and they all failed! So can someone help me how to get both talents, its really frustrating! I wanna try to get member and try PVP cause my death is rocking!

Survivor
Apr 16, 2010
Just keep hatching, it can take 1 try or a million. I'm still struggling to get my Dino Both Sprite, and Sharp shot. I've tried 4 times now. Good Luck! And I hope you can get what you want very soon!
--Jack Frost, Imp Realm--

Defender
Dec 20, 2010
one thing you failed to mention: how far did you train the pet???? It may not be a fail if you only trained it to adult. I have had to train to mega before both showed up on one pet.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Your pet may have the Defy talent in the gene pool, it just hasn't manifested when you trained it. How far did you train your pet?

Any good talents can manifest at any time. There's no set "at teen it gets Proof" kinda thing. You may get Defy at Ancient, Epic, or even at Mega.

Defy is a rare talent (2 pip). There are also other talents like Sprite which is a rare talent as well.

Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
Everyone that reads this message:

All of your superstition, or random chance theory are smart, but you're wrong. If you got a pet with spell proof and defy, you need to train strength. If strength is the highest, you got a high chance/ definite chance of spell proof or spell defy, whatever's first. I tried to prove this wrong, but I have a lot of starfish pets, and so I trained strength. Guess what it got at teen? Spell proof! Then I trained will on another, and it learned spritely at teen! To verify this, I did this again. Well I got the same results! So if you want a may cast, train will. If you want resistance, train strength.
And remember, there's no random chance at talents at all, unless maybe your stats are too close to the same number. How many times do I have to tell people in-game?! And also, only get snacks training the desired statistic for whatever you want, and that is vital because pet snacks give more points than the xp you earn in the games, and that may ruin everything. If you are confused with all this, just look at what the statistics might give your pet, and whichever stat may give your pet the desired talent first, is the stat you train.

Brandon Boom, it only takes one try to get a talent you want. Your pet only had to have the chance to learn it, and to train the right stat.

Over all, I know this post helped everyone that read it. Thank you everyone for finally understanding how pet talents are most likely learned. If you got more questions, or want to object to my teachings, I am

Matthew Skullsword
Level 90. I can be found in vampire area 1. You can find me in celestia because I got a lot of friends needing help there.

Or you could leave a post saying thank you, or, saying I' m wrong. (Though I doubt it)

Defender
Jan 21, 2011
Actually, it depends on how far the pet has been trained for the amount of resist it gives. Spell Defy gives a much smaller amount of resist, where as I've seen people with Spell Proof give as much as 6-8 resistance. Together it makes a person difficult to defeat, though.

Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
TheAwesomeMyth, I don't know what you are talking about; how far the pet has been trained for the amount of resistance? Wat? Whatever it is, you are wrong, but spell defy, CAN have over 10%.
Read my last message about me getting a bunch of starfish and sea dragons. On the sea dragons, I trained strength, and both of them got spell proof at teen! Coincidence? No. And for my starfish, I trained will, and one got spritely, the other got may cast ice trap. Relation; they're both may cast talents. I also forgot I had a bunch of little foot pets too. (Sold) So I explored agility, and both got life shot.
So I am assuming everyone here wants either resistance, accuracy, or may cast talents?
Intellect I have no idea what that specifically improves.

TheAwesomeMyth, especially to you, don't you want an awesome pet??? I only had to hatch three times to ONLY ADD both unicorn, and spell DEFY. Now my awesome pet has,"may cast unicorn, may cast fairy, may cast sprite," and a bonus 18% global resistance, and I didn't even make one mistake. That was my first try at an awesome pet. Idk, call it EXTREME LUCK, or that I'm actually right about where to train your pet.
Someone prove me wrong. I DARE YOU. Seriously geez people, read your pets stats and train the right one! I am sick of yelling out, TRAIN THIS, TRAIN THAT! And no one listens because, we'll who would listen to only one person, when there's a bunch of lies, like your pets talents are random.
Anyone, YOU;
•get a starfish pet
•buy pet snacks improving only will, OR strength, and power is acceptable too
•train your pet at a minigame where you know you can get +4 will OR strength
•train pet to teen

If your starfish did not get a may cast talent, or spell proof, call me a liar.

Cya in-game if you want to hatch. Remember: I may be in celestia, vampire area 01.

Reguards, MS

Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
I FORGOT:

I have WAY TOO MANY perfect pets just roaming my house. For my chars on my same account, yeah I do give them through the shared bank, but I think I made way too many perfect pets. Just srsly, hatch with me, then train will or strength first. If you don't have the money, I can give you a load of tcs that are worth like 50k altogether so REALLY COME FIND ME in Celestia, vampire realm area 01. Hello ppl I am trying to resolve your problems by giving you the straight truth. And I am willing to hatch.

Srsly
Reguards, MS

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
dumbug23 on Aug 13, 2013 wrote:

All of your superstition, or random chance theory are smart, but you're wrong. If you got a pet with spell proof and defy, you need to train strength. If strength is the highest, you got a high chance/ definite chance of spell proof or spell defy, whatever's first. I tried to prove this wrong, but I have a lot of starfish pets, and so I trained strength. Guess what it got at teen? Spell proof! Then I trained will on another, and it learned spritely at teen! To verify this, I did this again. Well I got the same results! So if you want a may cast, train will. If you want resistance, train strength.
And remember, there's no random chance at talents at all, unless maybe your stats are too close to the same number. How many times do I have to tell people in-game?! And also, only get snacks training the desired statistic for whatever you want, and that is vital because pet snacks give more points than the xp you earn in the games, and that may ruin everything. If you are confused with all this, just look at what the statistics might give your pet, and whichever stat may give your pet the desired talent first, is the stat you train.

Brandon Boom, it only takes one try to get a talent you want. Your pet only had to have the chance to learn it, and to train the right stat.

Over all, I know this post helped everyone that read it. Thank you everyone for finally understanding how pet talents are most likely learned. If you got more questions, or want to object to my teachings, I am

Matthew Skullsword
Level 90. I can be found in vampire area 1. You can find me in celestia because I got a lot of friends needing help there.

Or you could leave a post saying thank you, or, saying I' m wrong. (Though I doubt it)
Just to let you know it's not a superstition. It's a fact. Training strength doesn't give you a better chance of getting it. What strength does if give your spell proof or defy more power aka higher resistance. Agility helps this as well.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011

Matthew Skullsword

Sorry, but this is not true. What attributes you train, what games you play, and what snacks you use have NO effect on what talents your pet will get. All the talents are set when the pet hatches.

The way to get the talents you want is by hatching with pets that have those talents and training the baby. HOW you train or what you feed can't change the talents. Making strength, agility, and power higher will give you more % of resist once you have resist talents, but it won't help you get them.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2009
MajesticLord on Aug 12, 2013 wrote:
So i saw this Wizard with a pet with two resist, and i was like " woah!" so i asked him what was the talents and he said spell defy and spell proof. My pet has spell proof and he said i need to hatch with someone that has spell defy and hope to get both. Right, so i tried three pets and they all failed! So can someone help me how to get both talents, its really frustrating! I wanna try to get member and try PVP cause my death is rocking!
Here is a tip, get a pet starfish. (In order to get it you have to buy it from the pet vendor in Celestia.) Then, get it up to adult or ancient. (That is when most of my starfish learned spell proof.) Sometimes it depends on what foods you feed it. (Liked and loved snacks suggested.) Even though spell proof is a very rare talent for your pet to gain, you might be lucky enough to get it. Hope this helped.

~ Fallon
Level 46

Delver
Nov 05, 2011

Matthew Skullsword

You gotta train ten of them up each to prove it otherwise it is not fair, you also have to train something up besides starfish, also make a file about your research.