Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Secondary school choice?

AuthorMessage
Squire
Jul 04, 2012
Hi,
I am going to buy back my training points. I am level 50, so I would get all the spells from my new secondary school. I want it to be any school except myth and death. I am life, so don't say life either. I like high damage, blades and traps, not to much fizzle rate and no low damage.
Thanks
Angela Gem

Survivor
Nov 27, 2009
my choice would be fire. it has strong shields (ice and storm) and very powerful spells! most bad ppl are storm and myth! so you would hav an advantage there! hoped this helped

lvl 31
Vannesa Wildbloom

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
Well you said u don't wan a low fizzle rate , so cross storm out. You don't want a weak damage school so cross out ice. U don't want death or myth so that leaves balance and fire . Balance has no shields for you unless you ARE a balance wiz. Balance attacks are ok but when u train hydra since your school is o. The spirit side u will also have to train the elemental trap and blades for great damage . So....

I think you should pick FIRE my life also trains fire and the ice and storm shields it gives you gives u great defense against two strong schools (mainly storm!!!) .fire is strong, with a little more accuracy the storm. It is second most powerful school in damage, so fire would be a good choice for you

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
I did exactly what you are thinking about doing ( and I am a life wizard as well) . I bought back my training points around level 42 and tried ice. I didn't like it. I bought back my points again (ugh...) and used them on fire. It is great! It has good attacks, especially when you blade and trap up! I have been able to solo rather well!

Hope this helps.

Destiny Dayflower Level 45

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Angela,

I would suggest training Ice until Tower Shield, and although you don't want to hear about Death, the Feint spell can be one of your best friends if you decide to use it. Of the spells before it, Ghoul and Vampire are Life-stealing spells and Skeletal Pirate does around 510 damage. In Wintertusk and Avalon it is advisable to have Fire Shield (Greenstar in Fairegrounds) and Quench during those battles, and Reshuffle (Colosssus Boulevard in House beside Mindy) is also great to have

Timothy Pearlflower, L90

P.S., How does the buy back work? I have been wanting to buy back because I made mistakes when choosing a secondary school (have Life to Centaur, instead of Satyr), (have Balance to Swarm), (I wanna keep my Death ones), have Fire Shield and Quench for Fire, all the sun school ones, no moon spells chosen and some star spells.

I was wondering because I know which ones I would prefer to buy again, but nervous that I would do more damage.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
Promethean oxnhors... on Jul 28, 2013 wrote:
Angela,

I would suggest training Ice until Tower Shield, and although you don't want to hear about Death, the Feint spell can be one of your best friends if you decide to use it. Of the spells before it, Ghoul and Vampire are Life-stealing spells and Skeletal Pirate does around 510 damage. In Wintertusk and Avalon it is advisable to have Fire Shield (Greenstar in Fairegrounds) and Quench during those battles, and Reshuffle (Colosssus Boulevard in House beside Mindy) is also great to have

Timothy Pearlflower, L90

P.S., How does the buy back work? I have been wanting to buy back because I made mistakes when choosing a secondary school (have Life to Centaur, instead of Satyr), (have Balance to Swarm), (I wanna keep my Death ones), have Fire Shield and Quench for Fire, all the sun school ones, no moon spells chosen and some star spells.

I was wondering because I know which ones I would prefer to buy again, but nervous that I would do more damage.
Hi! If you decide to buy back your training points there is no option to buy back only some. That would mean you have to train death back to where you would like to be as well. Buying back costs crowns, the sum depends on the number of points you have to buy back. To buy back the points go to Golem Court and talk to the Registrar there.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Angela Gem on Jul 28, 2013 wrote:
Hi,
I am going to buy back my training points. I am level 50, so I would get all the spells from my new secondary school. I want it to be any school except myth and death. I am life, so don't say life either. I like high damage, blades and traps, not to much fizzle rate and no low damage.
Thanks
Angela Gem
My Life wizard bought spells she didn't need later on but I was able to recover enough training points and quests for them to get the ones she needed with out a buy back. Unless you have the amulet and gear for it using other school spells after level 45 or so just seem to hard to donate my pips and no extra damage to.

I am a hit a run player and soloed though the end of Zafaria except maybe a few end of world dungeons. I continued though AV and AZ helping family that don't know how to play the game at all, which is harder then soloing for me. When I started the game I didn't know Life was the healer so I raised it as a dealer. If I ever helped anyone along my way I was in the Sun Spot so I had total control over the fighting. Doing WW a few times I learned how to be a healer but found that was the only place I would be.

I use - the tri blade from Niles, Death to Feint, the Sun spell Colossus, my biggest investment of 5 training points and you can start them at level 50, later in AZ I added the Sun spells Sharpen Blade and Potent Trap. As I have amassed a ton of TC I use them to fill in the blanks.

At lvl 58 I used the Witches Star Amulet for the 25% blade and now use the amulet that has a 45% blade and Conviction which is handy because I have very low critical block and like the no stun effect too. In Zafaria I learned about the level 56 crafted gear and crafted the helmet for the 45% blade. My trained Feint and Tri Blade can be sharpened. Needless to say in AZ I am able to get a lot of bang for the buck, I can one hit mobs and in latter AZ 2 hit bosses if needed. My plan has always been to defeat the monsters before they can or will defeat me. I can't seem to adapt to any other play style.

Mary StarGem lvl 90

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
The registrar in Golem Court lets you buy back your training points

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Angela Gem on Jul 29, 2013 wrote:
The registrar in Golem Court lets you buy back your training points
Does that mean I start all over as a newbie, or do I keep all the spells in my chosen school and loose all the others?

Timothy Pearlflower, L90

Explorer
Mar 10, 2010
Hi,
Thanks
Angela Gem
If you are looking for these options, balance will be your best bet because life students are the caring school and balance has plenty of teamwork spells. They also give you plenty of blades and low fizzle rate

Amber Rainbowstone - - level 64

Sierra Hex - - level 33

Survivor
Apr 16, 2009
So I have a bit of a dilemma myself. I'm an ice wizard (I know I know I have pretty bad spells but I don't have the money to spend on crowns to start another wizard) and my secondary school is fire. Should I switch? Is there a better combo with ice?

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
Well, i would suggest getting the sun spells when you get into celestia. The sun spells are really useful, and if you have leftover points, buy some star spells. I find moon spells useless.

I dont use my secondary school at all, maybe for some shields and thats it. I would also suggest getting ice spells up to tower shield.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2013
I am planning on pvping once I level up more. I have learned ice up to tower shields because that's what a lot of people online said to do, but I don't know what to do next. Anyone have any advice?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Promethean oxnhors... on Jul 29, 2013 wrote:
Does that mean I start all over as a newbie, or do I keep all the spells in my chosen school and loose all the others?

Timothy Pearlflower, L90
Yes, you keep your school given spells you just lose the ones you spent training points on. Any of the ones you bought with training points you want back you would have to go get them again.

Be fore warned though - at lvl 90 buy back is going to be very expensive. Consider if this is something you really need to do. Keep in mind future need for points, if you have a few now you maybe fine.

Defender
Apr 22, 2012
C00LStoryJoe on Jul 30, 2013 wrote:
I am planning on pvping once I level up more. I have learned ice up to tower shields because that's what a lot of people online said to do, but I don't know what to do next. Anyone have any advice?
I know a death wizard and what she did is read the book in her school. It said death lies with ice and storm, or originated from them, something like that. So, she chose ice and storm, I think it would actually work

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
C00LStoryJoe on Jul 30, 2013 wrote:
You don't really need one, but can go to Fire or Balance.

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Northlite on Jul 30, 2013 wrote:
Yes, you keep your school given spells you just lose the ones you spent training points on. Any of the ones you bought with training points you want back you would have to go get them again.

Be fore warned though - at lvl 90 buy back is going to be very expensive. Consider if this is something you really need to do. Keep in mind future need for points, if you have a few now you maybe fine.
There are many in my deck that in hindsight I should have never gotten (about 5-10), and would like to have a "do over" on which ones I would buy again and which I would refuse to keep, although at a mind-boggling 12950 crowns, I am willing to live with what I have.

Timothy Pearlflower, L90

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
I don't like to focus on only one school. I think it's best to get many different spells. No matter what school you are, it will be your main offense in the higher worlds, which is where you're headed. You should use mostly your primary school and get spells like feint and satyr and tower shield or weakness. Reshuffle is also good to have, along with spirit blade/trap.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2013
I find it usefull to train storm and fire just far enough to get the shields. Death deals plenty of damage, and has life steal attacks for healing, but your going to want some variety in your shields.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2013
Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Icegem616 on Jul 29, 2013 wrote:
So I have a bit of a dilemma myself. I'm an ice wizard (I know I know I have pretty bad spells but I don't have the money to spend on crowns to start another wizard) and my secondary school is fire. Should I switch? Is there a better combo with ice?
Ice wizard,

I have seen on wizard101central that it is advised ice wizards train in fire to Meteor Strike. www.wizard101central.com, go to forums, and then select Gameplay for Ice. They have some of the best advise for what gear to chose as well at times.

Timothy Pearlflower, L90

Squire
May 10, 2013
Hi,
Thanks
Angela Gem
If I was really in Life, I would learn from death. Because.

1. It has convertable health (Stealing Health)
2. It helps a LOT if you are facing Life Creatures (For Example: Jade Oni)
3. Feints and Curses so cool :P
Other Schools I mean, they are good, but for life I would say this.

Balance:
I know a lot of people who get Over Exited for Spirit Blades, Elemental, (etc) but look on these other sides.

1. Spectral Blast (I mean really, if they would circle around 3 different schools, I would learn from 1)
2. Hydra (Well, 570 Damage from 3 Schools. I don't want to circle around too many schools)
3. Spectral Minion (Now, give me a break. If it randomly summons a storm fire or ice minion, I could learn from that regular school)
4. Sabertooth (This is a good balance spell, but a lot of blades and traps and a critical could do a One in a Million)

Fire:
Basically, they circle around good attacks. But the Accuracy needs a little bit of a Precision)

1. Scald (This is kinda bases on Wintertusk)

I hope the information helped

Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
Like many others say, Fire is the way to go. I'm a Pyromancer myself, and I'm quite happy with the damage/fizzle ratings.

-Isaac Goldenriver, level 30

Squire
May 10, 2013
SoupWizard64 on Aug 1, 2013 wrote:
Like many others say, Fire is the way to go. I'm a Pyromancer myself, and I'm quite happy with the damage/fizzle ratings.

-Isaac Goldenriver, level 30
How do you SURVIVE with fizzle rating. It is horrible. I mean look at Helephant.
I saw a Firezilla stronger than that

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
I have been thinking, and I sorta want to delete my storm char for a myth wizard. Do you guys think I should? Thanks, and give me your true answer, what you truly think!

Alura Battleheart, lvl 90 , sister #1

Alura Rainheart, lvl 27
Brecken Storytalon, lvl 25 , sister #2

Savannah Darkbane, lvl 18 , sister #3

Rachel Dragonheart, lvl 11 , sister #4
Kestral Wintergrove, lvl 5 , sister #5