Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mystery coupon blues?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 08, 2012
Am I the only one whose reaction to the mystery coupon was negative?

Even though I have spent even more money on crowns, and was eager to get more so I could get a decent combat pet, when I discovered my coupon was "only" 10%, I couldn't bring myself to spend 54$ for something someone else could get for 30$. it has really turned me off buying crowns again.

I think in the future, rather than randomizing rewards, KI should let you buy the first set at x% off and then either make that change depending on how much you buy. (whether the discount should go up or down is an interesting question.

It was a clever idea, but randomization just makes you angry, if you aren't lucky.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
You are angry because you got a free discount? And you are bothered that someone else got a better discount than you? Wow, really? Envy is an ugly thing and being envious of a free coupon is downright sad.

If you had a friend and they gave you a gift, would you get angry at them because they gave someone else a bigger gift? So sad.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I have no problem with the coupons. KI doesn't HAVE to do anything, yet they offer these discounts, freebies, etc. I don't understand the negative reaction at all. Be grateful even if you choose not to use them. :-/

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
Tatiana Winterhear... on Dec 17, 2012 wrote:
You are angry because you got a free discount? And you are bothered that someone else got a better discount than you? Wow, really? Envy is an ugly thing and being envious of a free coupon is downright sad.

If you had a friend and they gave you a gift, would you get angry at them because they gave someone else a bigger gift? So sad.
I received 5 emails for 5 accounts they all are 10%

Survivor
Aug 16, 2012
I am sad. I got a 10% discount. I was hoping to suprise my nephews with some crowns. I share my account with my nephews and will randomly suprise them with crowns every now and again so that they can buy gear, card packs, companions, or whatever. It's great fun to suprise them! Now, I'll just wait for a better deal since I already have some crowns. KI usually has sales on crowns that are better than the current deal even with the 10% off.

As for considering a coupon a gift, that is a bit of a stretch. I don't consider taking my car to get an oil change a gift simply because I was able to use a coupon. And I certainly do not consider the coupon a gift. A coupon is nothing more than a discount designed to get you to spend money and to spend it in their place of business. I am sure KI just got customers to spend money by offering these big discounts--money the customer might not have intended to spend at all, but for the discount.

And really, does KI HAVE to give away coupons? No. However, do people HAVE to spend money? No. I can see why some loyal customers might be upset. There are some folks with free accounts who never spend money and they were rewarded with a 40% or even a 50% discount, while some loyal customers who make frequent purchases were given a 10% discount. I can certainly see why it is a bit of a let down for some of the loyal customers.

Now, the give-away items are certainly gifts and I do not include that in my discussion. I am only addressing the mystery coupon.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Coupons stack with crowns sale. That in itself is a gift. I can't tolerate people whining about not getting a better coupon. Oh no, poor you, you didn't get the 50% discount. Childish behavior I expect from the children who play this game, they are young, they should act like kids. Their parents and the adults who play this game, I expect to behave like adults, not spoiled whining brats.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2012
First let me ask, if you “can't tolerate people whining about not getting a better coupon” then why are you on a thread about mystery coupon blues where you will clearly see posts of people dissatisfied with their coupon or the way in which it was handled?
I do not see it as whining by wishing to be one of the ones with a 50% coupon. I mean, who would not want to be one of the ones with a better coupon? I for one simply will not buy crowns with a 10% discount. It’s just not worth it. Does that make me a whiner? Or is it stating a fact? It's like I stated before, they have sales that are better than the current sale with 10% off (e.g. 90,000 crowns for $80). If you pay attention to what people are saying instead of name-calling (also childish behavior I might add) you would probably see that they (and me) are not being “spoiled whining brats” about not getting a 50% off. What we are saying is that it is a disappointment when you for example spend $1000 a year on multiple memberships and purchases to get a 10% discount, while the person with the free account who never spends anything gets a huge discount. It’s pretty much rewarding your worst customers (or even non-customers). If your are going to give great discounts, I say give them to your loyal customers who support your business which in turn keeps you in business.

Survivor
Nov 08, 2012
I apologize if I caused a kerfuffle or my intention with this thread was unclear.

Given that KI peddles a product (crowns) with no production cost per se and therefore infinite margin, I thought it was interesting that their game coupon offer was so game theoretic marketing clueless.

I was trying to explain why that was a problem, and made a meager suggestion to modify future offers so that they didn't alienate customers by making it obvious to them that they had *not* received the best possible deal.

Having only played for a month, I don't know what sort of promotions they have tried in the past. But I can prove this one optimizes neither revenue nor profit over baseline.

If anything they should have kept the mystery aspect, and given everyone the maximal discount, even if it had to be made smaller so that everyone felt lucky and subject to "rare opportunity" pressures to buy.

It's obvious. if it isn't obvious to them they should hire me, and pay me partially in crowns. ;-)

So I'm confused as to why they handled it as they did.

Defender
Aug 20, 2008
Full Price Crowns = 5000 crowns / $10 = 500 crowns per dollar
Periodic batch discount = 60,000 crowns / $60 = 1000 crowns per dollar
Batch + 10% mystery coupon = 60,000 crowns / $54 = 1111 crowns per dollar

More crowns per dollar means that everything you buy with the crowns costs less.

Reindeer Mount = 5500 crowns = $11/$5.50/$4.95

Sure 10% doesn't feel like a lot but it's difference. If you buy something that's discounted with your discounted crowns then the savings magnifies.

Basically, any discount is worth having. The best discount is when you get multiple discounts. Sure, spending ten dollars on 5000 crowns doesn't look like much savings when you subtract ten percent from it. The 10% makes a more significant difference when you pair it with the 25% savings from buying your crowns in bulk.

Basically, if you think that you'll spend crowns on stuff on a regular basis, you should look at how many crowns you think you will spend in a year, and buy that many crowns at once instead of buying ten dollars worth here and ten dollars worth there. That's how you get the best value for your money. Getting a mystery discount on top of that, even 10%, is gravy.