Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A final word on Judgement

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 28, 2009
math or no math i don't compute numbers in my head, but still for me being in a battle against a balance wiz is not fair, coz besically every school has a shield and traps except for balance so the players chance of survivng is to draw the right card in the deck but its not a 50/50 % of that player will survive. I'm not against balance students but i wish we have some defense on its attacks like the famous judgement :) thanks

Explorer
Mar 08, 2009
kai3092 wrote:
carterma wrote:

It's not so much Judgement as it is Judgement combined with feint. Or Orthrus/Wildbolt/etc. combined with feint. That's where the real damage comes into play that is difficult to defend.

Let's say Judgement is cast with 15 pips (that's only 7 power pips). Combine that with a balance blade, bladestorm, feint, and either hex/curse and even without any clothing boosts, you're hitting for about 4800 in damage.

So what's my defense? weakness is -25% and tower shield is -50%, but only one of each takes affect (unless you have treasure card versions of them, which I don't).

So with those debuffs, judgement still hits for about 1800 health points. I only have about 2000 health points, so that pretty much kills me right there. The math is just off the top of my head, but I think it's in the ballpark.

The problem is not Judgement, it's the fact the Feint is a generic trap. Make it a trap for death spells only. Sure, then I have to contend with Wraith, but at least I have death shields for that.

I TOTALLY AGREE YOU. Either make feint a death spell only or make a balance shield so we can defend ourselves against judegment because i think it is unfair for every other element to have shield to stop them and balance doesnt. Sure we can use tower shield and weakness against them but so what, we can use them for others schools as well along with a their shield.
i thin thats weak that you would think like that for real dont get upset that you dide pick the right school with your points buy them back and do the right thing if you had feint you would feel it is a great fair card and it is it put a 70 on me just like you how is that not fair please come on kids lets think here i am balance and death lol lol lol and ice to lol just that i see what i needed and you didnt dont make it unfair to antone open your eyes when you spend your points you may see something you want or that can help you dont cry about it cuzz you didnt look at what you was getting and there is shields for balance there is weakness and tower shields and thats all you need if you cant beat me with them do you really need to be there really scot deathhammer=grandmaster balance-fire-master storm-noob myth

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
You kids have fun endlessly debating the fairness of Judgment. LOL

I'm outta here..need a game where I can move during combat and type numbers. It was fun..but it's time to go.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
Dridsuzy wrote:
The reason Balance does not have a shield is because...

1. Balance does not have a DoT(Damage over Time).

Ice has a DoT
Storm has a DoT
Death has a DoT
Fire has a DoT
Myth can destroy all shields at once.
Life can heal through damage.
DoT's give a school the ability to remove school specific shields and keep them removed for up to three rounds. Balance has nothing like this.

2. All of Balance buffs are generic.

Any damage spell cast from the Balance wizard will activate them. As opposed to the common technique of carrying an off school wand to get through Tower Shields or burn off Weaknesses but leave your school specific buffs in place.

3. Judgment uses ALL of a Balance Wizards pips.

This is actually a HUGE disadvantage in a Duel.

In conclusion, Balance doesn't have any tricks like DoT's, Stuns, Life-Stealing, Absorption, Healing, or even a Decent World effect spell. Balance has one thing. Judgment. A spell that's telegraphed from a mile away, a spell that can be sliced in half with a Tower Shield, a spell that can be quartered with a Weakness, a Spell that can be brunted with a Spirit Armor. There is nothing special about this spell other than it has no Specific Shield to stop it. It doesn't need one. If Judgment is giving you problems in PvP then you....

A. Haven't reached level 50 yet.
or
B. Can't grasp the concept of PvP in this game.

Please, enough griping about Judgment.
i agree to stop gripping about judgement but storm DOESNT have a DoT spell just so you know. only way to get it is stormhound and it is now gone from stores. i have a storm death and fire wizard and i kill balance easily with all of them. storm has most trouble cause of low health. but i use wild bolt and bam they have to heal or next wild bolt ends them. for fire i just use 2 fire elves a couple scalds maybe even a helephant and they usually die bye then or are forced to heal. death i do it easily with i use the 4 pip minion itch uses A LOT of weaknesses and that kills judgement and wild bolt. lol thats all i think, good luck and have fun guys.

treyrules12 (tyler,Travis,Thomas,trevor Spiritstrider)

Survivor
Nov 15, 2008
Well i have never been to the message boards before but i can not take it any more. I am a grand master storm and have been going to the arena for rank matches and am so disappointed. Balance has such an unfair advantage and the battles are so boring i am considering just dropping wizard all together. I can not afford to buy tower shields any more since they raised the prices and defense against judgement is limited so pretty much i am not going to rank up any higher. unless i am ice or can buy massive amounts of tower shields well i cant get any higher. i try and as soon as i get to a certain rank all i go against
is balance and they are one hit wonders. blade, blade, hex, hex, judgement and i am dead. no battle no skills on there part just that. How boring and unfair.
Please fix this i dont mind losing but in a battle not in a blade , blade , judgement boring nothing. I am not the only one who feels this way. it is a common complaint with many of my friends.
thanks diana

Explorer
Feb 08, 2009
Dridsuzy wrote:

Ice has a DoT
Storm has a DoT
Death has a DoT
Fire has a DoT
DoT's give a school the ability to remove school specific shields and keep them removed for up to three rounds. Balance has nothing like this.

Any damage spell cast from the Balance wizard will activate them. As opposed to the common technique of carrying an off school wand to get through Tower Shields or burn off Weaknesses but leave your school specific buffs in place.

In conclusion, Balance doesn't have any tricks like DoT's, Stuns, Life-Stealing, Absorption, Healing, or even a Decent World effect spell. Balance has one thing. Judgment. A spell that's telegraphed from a mile away, a spell that can be sliced in half with a Tower Shield, a spell that can be quartered with a Weakness, a Spell that can be brunted with a Spirit Armor. There is nothing special about this spell other than it has no Specific Shield to stop it. It doesn't need one. If Judgment is giving you problems in PvP then you....

or

Thats a lie one ice/life wizard used tower shield full pip ice armor life absorb weakness exatcly what you said I trapped him with hex and bladed with bladestorm and balance blade i still did 1217 with all that defense plus its our only high damge move so balance is completely fine

Wolf ShadowBreaker lvl45 sorcerer

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
MasterColeman wrote:
Dridsuzy wrote:

Ice has a DoT
Storm has a DoT
Death has a DoT
Fire has a DoT

or

Thats a lie one ice/life wizard used tower shield full pip ice armor life absorb weakness exatcly what you said I trapped him with hex and bladed with bladestorm and balance blade i still did 1217 with all that defense plus its our only high damge move so balance is completely fine

If anything that is why balance is broken! If you can still do that much damage against the highest defensive class in game with every possible shield etc. then that's just wrong.

Survivor
May 18, 2009
What s it with judgement just because you cant get it and its a great spell doesnt mean you have to complain about it. Look at strom balnce has t wait twice as long to do the amount of damage. Jeez

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
If you get to complain about Judgement with a Balance Blade, then I should be allowed to complain about other schools with their 40% Blade + Elemental or Spirit Blade + Elemental or Spirit Trap + 25% School Trap and don't forget if you have a prism, you get more. And if you have feint, you get even more. So why are you complaining when you have all the advantages?

Go take a look at the following list.

Credit goes to MLHagan for the list:
~~~

Now the debate about Judgment has been going on for some time now. It seams to me that but what others have been saying that it’s not a question of it being an “X” pip spell or the damage level of the spell. The major issue that I hear is the fact that there is no balance specific shield. Now it seams to be a question of buffs vs debuff’s. Lets take a chance and look at each schools buff’s vs debuff’s.

For the purpose of this study I am only including spells that can be trained and cast from the main board of the decks of the school in question. This works nicely for buff’s however in the case of debuff’s we have no idea what school so all debuff’s will be applied. This is even across the board so should be “fair” in comparison. I am also only including debuff’s that specifically effect the buffs in question, so while storm may be effected by tower shield it is not included in there debuff’s as a wand from a different school can remove tower shield without effecting the buffs already in place. It should also be noted that the use of prisms can be used to circumvent shields.

All spells (and variations of spells) from gear and treasure cards (in spite of the fact that every school can receive buff spells from amulets except for balance) are not recorded in the fallowing lists.

We will also be ignoring spells like spirit amour and ice amour as those are more bonus hit points rather than debuff’s.

Okay seams pretty clear so far let’s get into looking at each school in alphabetical order.

*_Balance_*

*_Buff’s._*

Balance Blade + 25%
Blade Storm + 20%
Hex + 30%
Feint + 70%

*_Debuff’s_*

Tower shield -50%
Weakness -25%
Plague -20%

*_Death_*

*_Buff’s_*

Death Trap +30%
Death Blade +40%
Curse +20%
Feint + 70%
Death Prism
Life Trap +25%
Spirit Blade +35% (for Death)
Spirit Blade +35% (for Life)
Spirit Trap +25% (for Death)
Spirit Trap +25% (for Life)

*_Debuff’s_*

Death Shield -80%
Either Shield -70%
Legend Shield -70%
Spirit Shield -50%

*_Fire_*

*_Buff’s_*

Fire Trap +25%
Fire Blade +35%
Fire Prism
Feint + 70%
BaleFrost +25%
Wyldfire +25%
Elemental Blade +35% (for Fire)
Elemental Blade +35% (for Ice)
Elemental Trap +25% (for Fir)
Elemental Trap +25% (for Ice)

*_Debuff’s_*

Fire Shield -80%
Thermic Shield -70%
Volcanic Shield -70%
Elemental Shield -50%

*_Ice_*

*_Buff’s_*

Ice Trap +30%
Ice Blade +40%
Ice Prism
Feint + 70%
Fire Trap +25%
BaleFrost +25%
Wyldfire +25%
Elemental Blade +35% (for Fire)
Elemental Blade +35% (for Ice)
Elemental Trap +25% (for Fir)
Elemental Trap +25% (for Ice)

*_Debuff’s_*

Ice Shield -80%
Thermic Shield -70%
Glacial Shield -70%
Elemental Shield -50%

*_Life_*

*_Buff’s_*

Life Trap +25%
Life Blade +40%
Feint + 70%
Life Prism
Spirit Blade +35% (for Death)
Spirit Blade +35% (for Life)
Spirit Trap +25% (for Death)
Spirit Trap +25% (for Life)

*_Debuff’s_*

Life Shield -80%
Either Shield -70%
Dream Shield -70%
Spirit Shield -50%

*_Myth_*

*_Buff’s_*

Myth Blade +35%
Myth Trap +25%
Feint + 70%
Myth Prism
Storm Trap +25%
Wind Storm +20%
Buff Minion +40%
Time of Legend +25%
Dark Wind +25%
Spirit Blade +35% (for Myth)
Elemental Blade +35% (for Storm)
Spirit Trap +25% (for Myth)
Elemental Trap +25% (for Storm)

*_Debuff’s_*

Myth Shield -80%
Legend Shield -70%
Dream Shield -70%
Spirit Shield -50%

*_Storm_*

*_Buff’s_*

Storm Trap +25%
Storm Blade +30%
Wind Storm +20%
Storm Prism
Myth Trap +25%
Feint + 70%
Dark Wind +25%
Time of Legend +25%
Spirit Blade +35% (for Myth)
Elemental Blade +35% (for Storm)
Spirit Trap +25% (for Myth)
Elemental Trap +25% (for Storm)

*_Debuff’s_*

Storm Shield -80%
Glacial Shield -70%
Volcanic Shield -70%
Elemental Shield -50%

Survivor
Oct 26, 2008
MasterColeman wrote:
Dridsuzy wrote:

Ice has a DoT
Storm has a DoT
Death has a DoT
Fire has a DoT

or

Let's add that up:

Full pip ice armor: (14 pips) -1750
Life Absorb: -400
Tower Shield: -50%
Weakness: -25% (might be -30%)

Maximum pip Judgement: +1400
Balance Blade: +25%
Bladestorm: +20%
Hex: +30%
Total: 2730

Add Feint+70%: 4641

+2730
-25% (weakness)
=2047
-50% (tower shield)
=1023
-1750 (Ice Armor)
= -726

So after we do the math, the Judgement doesn't penetrate the Ice armor.

With Feint:
+4641
-25% (weakness)
=3481
-50% (tower shield)
=1740
-1750 (Ice Armor)

Even with feint the Judgement still doesn't penetrate the ice armor, though it almost gets through it.

Before people complain and make wild accusations please do the math.

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
All that math really doesn't address that balance faces very little in terms of defense shields. I think that is the main point. A tower shield combines with the other shields if present.

Little thought is required as to what type of wand to carry as a balance person. You just have to break tower shields which only block half the damage compared to the other shields which are easier to obtain and block for much more. Unless you are ice then investing the training points into ice as a secondary to get that one shield to half the damage vs. balance is a substantial investment.

Explain to me exactly why should ONE SCHOOL require such planning to have a remote chance of surviving? Why is balance that important to require that much invested to defend against them?

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Malhavoc wrote:

uka1234:

Once you use tower shields you'll notice you aren't able to be defeated in one hit, and as life you can heal almost any hit. If you're facing a balance wizard who is exclusively setting up for judgement, use tower shield and treasure tower shield, or weakness and tower shield to diffuse the attack. Once they hit with judgement hit them with centaurs to force them to start healing. You'll want life blade, spirit blade, and life trap. (They will already have feint up which will boost a hit against them). Their triple shields are only 50% reduction, so if you have two sets of blades up, you'll get two solid hits in before they have more pips to do anything.

And then keep pressure on by hitting with Seraph's or Nature's Wrath. If you're not comfortable with your health keep sprite's and regenerate in your deck so you can heal, and then build up pips for more attacks.

If the balance wizard is NOT using judgement exclusively, then odds are they are a good duelist, and in those cases there are too many strategies to discuss here..

This technique was used against me and I'm happy to report that it failed. This was during a time when my opponent had been knocked out and it was two against one. A grandmaster life has the advantage of Rebirth, which happened 5 times during this match. I have no Death spells, so all of those Spirit Armors had to be broken. I am a Sorcerer and primarily rely on Balance spells.

I only went down 300 in health during the entire match, which was easily repaired by Healing Hands. I also had to heal my partner back up so we could win the match.

As for Judgment, I only used it at the end, twice as finishing moves, to knock out each of my opponents.

Cassandra StorySmith
Grandmaster Sorcerer

Survivor
May 08, 2009
sk8gundy wrote:
Malhavoc wrote:

uka1234:

Once you use tower shields you'll notice you aren't able to be defeated in one hit, and as life you can heal almost any hit. If you're facing a balance wizard who is exclusively setting up for judgement, use tower shield and treasure tower shield, or weakness and tower shield to diffuse the attack. Once they hit with judgement hit them with centaurs to force them to start healing. You'll want life blade, spirit blade, and life trap. (They will already have feint up which will boost a hit against them). Their triple shields are only 50% reduction, so if you have two sets of blades up, you'll get two solid hits in before they have more pips to do anything.

And then keep pressure on by hitting with Seraph's or Nature's Wrath. If you're not comfortable with your health keep sprite's and regenerate in your deck so you can heal, and then build up pips for more attacks.

If the balance wizard is NOT using judgement exclusively, then odds are they are a good duelist, and in those cases there are too many strategies to discuss here..

This technique was used against me and I'm happy to report that it failed. This was during a time when my opponent had been knocked out and it was two against one. A grandmaster life has the advantage of Rebirth, which happened 5 times during this match. I have no Death spells, so all of those Spirit Armors had to be broken. I am a Sorcerer and primarily rely on Balance spells.

I only went down 300 in health during the entire match, which was easily repaired by Healing Hands. I also had to heal my partner back up so we could win the match.

As for Judgment, I only used it at the end, twice as finishing moves, to knock out each of my opponents.

Cassandra StorySmith
Grandmaster Sorcerer
I would like to meet you in the game balance wizards rule!

Malorn Willowsmith, Master Sorcerer, Master of Balance, Level 48, Secondary school: death

World completed: Wizard City, Krokotopia, Marleybone, Moo Shu currently in Dragonspyre and Grizzleheim

Defender
May 29, 2009

uka1234's post is right on the money. Basically debuff the judgment in as many ways as you can (tower, spirit armor, weakness, etc.). If you can survive the attack, the balance wizard is left without pips.

If you plan this right, you are left with a near full rack of pips and fully bladed. Now it becomes an arms race for you to heal and dish out the punishment before the balance wizard gains enough pips to cast judgment again.

Another strategy is to damage the balance wizard as much as you can along the way while taking every opportunity to set your defenses (once the blades or feint goes up, cast tower shield and weakness). Basically do as much damage before they cast judgment to make them concerned about healing and not delivering that big blow to you.

If you're death, fire, or myth, yet another strategy is to take out the traps place on you. Once feint is placed on you, cast sacrifice. For fire, cast immolate. For myth, cleanse ward. For ice, use your full rack of pips for ice armor. Life, cast as many spirit armors as you can.

In fact, there's too many strategies against judgment to name. Getting killed by judgment as a one time shot is not a judgment problem, it's a problem of lack of creativity by the one getting killed.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
hiway1999 wrote:
All that math really doesn't address that balance faces very little in terms of defense shields. I think that is the main point. A tower shield combines with the other shields if present.

Little thought is required as to what type of wand to carry as a balance person. You just have to break tower shields which only block half the damage compared to the other shields which are easier to obtain and block for much more. Unless you are ice then investing the training points into ice as a secondary to get that one shield to half the damage vs. balance is a substantial investment.

Explain to me exactly why should ONE SCHOOL require such planning to have a remote chance of surviving? Why is balance that important to require that much invested to defend against them?

All schools have advantages and disadvantages. This is Balance's one advantage that there's one shield to guard against it. And Balance only gets 50% shielding from other schools, just like a tower shield.

However, balance is not as hard-hitting as other schools and does not have all the buffs and traps that other schools can use. Most balance spells, including Judgment, are weaker than other schools. (Truthfully, Storm Lord can pack more damage in quicker time AND it stuns AND it's against all enemies.) Plus, there isn't a wide range of effective attack spells for Sorcerers. Balance is also hampered by randomness. We can't control what we're casting: Could be a high-damage wild bolt-like storm blast or a lesser-damage ice blast. I can't tell you how many times I've called up a useless fire minion to fight against a fire enemy.

And, I have to invest in tower shields too. Just like you.

Cassandra StorySmith
Grandmaster Sorcerer

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Malhavoc wrote:
MasterColeman wrote:

Let's add that up:

+2730
-25% (weakness)
=2047
-50% (tower shield)
=1023
-1750 (Ice Armor)
= -726

With Feint:
+4641
-25% (weakness)
=3481
-50% (tower shield)
=1740
-1750 (Ice Armor)

Even with feint the Judgement still doesn't penetrate the ice armor, though it almost gets through it.

Malhavoc,

You didn't factor in the boost from the gear. That can range from anywhere between 18% to 29% per pip.

So, in this scenario, the ice armor really took away a lot, like the majority of the attack.

Cassandra StorySmith
Grandmaster Sorcerer

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
chiderao wrote:

Thanks very much, and I am sure there are better duelists than myself because I am still learning and figuring it out right now.

You can catch me on Wizard101Central.com posting in the Balance forums. Ping me there and we'll find a place and time to meet.

Cassandra StorySmith
Grandmaster Sorcerer

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
well fire is a overtime school and balance can kill peole easily :-) :D

Survivor
May 08, 2009
I would totally like to meet you in the game Cassandra perhaps we can do pvp together. :)

Survivor
May 08, 2009
sk8gundy wrote:
chiderao wrote:

Thanks very much, and I am sure there are better duelists than myself because I am still learning and figuring it out right now.

You can catch me on Wizard101Central.com posting in the Balance forums. Ping me there and we'll find a place and time to meet.

Cassandra StorySmith
Grandmaster Sorcerer
I cant find you anywhere right now!?

Malorn Willowsmith, Master Sorcerer, Master of Balance, Level 48, Secondary school: death.

World completed: Wizard City, Krokotopia, Marleybone, Moo Shu currently in Dragonspyre and Grizzleheim.

Survivor
Apr 04, 2009
The problem with Judgement is that it's a spell entirely based on luck. If you're losing and have full pips because you're shielding like crazy, all you have to do is pull the arm and wait for your Judgement to roll around. JACKPOT!

I just spent 45 minutes in a PvP hammering a Balance wizard, playing probably the smartest PvP of my life. With no real way to defend against Balance, you can find yourself winning a fight one minute, and dead the very next round.

So the inferior PvP wizard can still pull a hat trick when all odds are against them, and win a fight. I fail to see how I'm supposed to just suck it up and like it when I've invested nearly an hour of my time playing good, clean PvP.

I'm not saying take away Judgement, or even limit it's power. But for the love of Bob, give us a way to defend against it. In warfare, if the enemy designs a bigger, better weapon, we design a bigger, better way to defend against it. Perhaps the game should mimic that.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2008
sk8gundy wrote:
Malhavoc wrote:
MasterColeman wrote:

Let's add that up:

+2730
-25% (weakness)
=2047
-50% (tower shield)
=1023
-1750 (Ice Armor)
= -726

With Feint:
+4641
-25% (weakness)
=3481
-50% (tower shield)
=1740
-1750 (Ice Armor)

Malhavoc,

You didn't factor in the boost from the gear. That can range from anywhere between 18% to 29% per pip.

So, in this scenario, the ice armor really took away a lot, like the majority of the attack.

Cassandra StorySmith
Grandmaster Sorcerer

I also didn't consider the other variable which is the defenders resistance because there is too wide a range, but with full arena clothes the defender's resistance is -35% and the highest damage boost on clothes only gets you to +30% so under ideal circumstances between defender and attacker it will be a slight penalty to attack.

atraweek:

This thread is littered with ways to defend against judgement. Use them. And yes balance wizards can win easily if you don't know how to defend against a big judgement. Everytime I beat a balance wizard who uses only judgement I tell them they need to learn the rest of the balance school. I also showed my sons how to defend against judgement and now they can win against them unless they are a very good player, but they don't die to the one hit judgement players.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
chiderao wrote:
sk8gundy wrote:
chiderao wrote:

Grandmaster Sorcerer
I cant find you anywhere right now!?

Well, it's hard to meet this way. I'm usually not checking the boards while I'm playing.

Cassandra StorySmith
Grandmaster Sorcerer

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
atraweek wrote:

<Snipped>
So the inferior PvP wizard can still pull a hat trick when all odds are against them, and win a fight. I fail to see how I'm supposed to just suck it up and like it when I've invested nearly an hour of my time playing good, clean PvP.

I'm not saying take away Judgement, or even limit it's power. But for the love of Bob, give us a way to defend against it. In warfare, if the enemy designs a bigger, better weapon, we design a bigger, better way to defend against it. Perhaps the game should mimic that.

I know it seems frustrating because you're dueling hard and the Sorcerer is seemingly passive. Diviners have the same strategy with Tempest. This does not make Sorcerers or Diviners who pip up for attacks inferior in any way.

There are plenty of ways to defend about Judgement. Figure them out.

Cassandra StorySmith
Grandmaster Sorcerer

Survivor
May 08, 2009
As for my self in wizard101central.com my username is chiderao I am with some balance groups if you could tell me yours I would be happy to look you up in no time.

I am sure they have a search engine for other peoples usernames. I am associated with mostly every balance group there is so look me up and I will be glad to meet you!

Malorn Willowsmith, Balance Wizard, Master Sorcerer, Level 49, Secondary school: Death, Third School: Life

P.S: For all you players out there you should finish up each quest from zeke gives you training points and a badge that is why I am done with death spells and now to life got absorb very useful! The only zeke quest I need help with is the stone roses one they are very hard to find I would appreciate if somebody can find time to help me!

Death is awesome for my second school much better than myth I have feint I can use it with other balance spells such as hex, balanceblade, bladestorm then use judgement up to seventh pips or power nova see ya later you are history! With this balance had a huge do over time over other schools! 8)