Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Crafting worth the time?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 30, 2008
Can you craft anything at all, that is better than the stuff you can buy in stores? Or you get from a boss? Everything I've seen is worthless so far.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
OwnMaNoWaR wrote:
Can you craft anything at all, that is better than the stuff you can buy in stores? Or you get from a boss? Everything I've seen is worthless so far.

I have made it through Marley's Crafting Quest, and so far, all I see it as is another way to explore the game. If you are looking to make monies or XP, it isn't the way to go. It actually is worth more to sell the reagents (and sell to the reagent seller on the cheap stuff, like ore, mandrake, etc as you will get a better price, rare stuff sell at the Bazzar, as you get more).

I haven't seen anything yet to hold my breath over. I was really hoping that you would be able to enhance in-game items to make them even better, but....not yet.

Survivor
Mar 20, 2009
I will not spend my hard earned gold to buy recipes for the crafting quests to make little nonsense stuff that is of no use to me. Also wasting all that time running around looking for the reagents. How do you ask a Master or Grandmaster to spend time and gold to make something that is good for lvl 5?
I'd much rather buy something that is useful. It is clear that this game caters to the lower levels, the rest of us are just forgotten.
I know, I know......make new wizards....fine but I will NOT delete my Masters and Grandmasters so now what?
Grizzleheim is a joke. How about a world with challenges worthy of Masters and Grandmasters with bosses that give good stuff that higher levels can use?
Maybe a world between Mooshu and DS?

Autumn Mistbreeze
Grandmaster Theurgist

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
I made it to the Dragonspyre crafting quest, but now I'm taking a break until they do something to increase the supply of reagents. You need 75 diamonds for the Dragonspyre crafting quest, which is just plain ridiculous. And, as you said, I haven't seen anything that I actually want to craft anyway.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2008
Survivor
Apr 02, 2009
I don't believe it is worth the time especially for treasure cards and only able to make the ones for your school only. To be forced to trade with others even if you play just to play and not want to make tons of friends.

You should have the option to either craft or buy treasure cards and the treasure cards should go back to the library and be sold for the old prices.

With that I think it would keep many players from leaving the game. I have a level 49 doing the final quest. And without being able to buy as many treasure cards as before with out breaking "my bank" per se, it is impossible to complete. So I have no where to basically go in game than to craft. And with all the complaints about it, don't plan on doing it any time soon!

Always,
Alura IceGem

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
You may have to do like what I have had to do: I have my Life Wizard create Healing TC for my Fire and Death Wizards, my Fire make Timed Damage for my Life and Death. I trade them to my son, whom in turn trades them back to my other characters.

Hero
May 19, 2009
artistd10353 wrote:
I will not spend my hard earned gold to buy recipes for the crafting quests to make little nonsense stuff that is of no use to me. Also wasting all that time running around looking for the reagents. How do you ask a Master or Grandmaster to spend time and gold to make something that is good for lvl 5?
I'd much rather buy something that is useful. It is clear that this game caters to the lower levels, the rest of us are just forgotten.
I know, I know......make new wizards....fine but I will NOT delete my Masters and Grandmasters so now what?
Grizzleheim is a joke. How about a world with challenges worthy of Masters and Grandmasters with bosses that give good stuff that higher levels can use?

Autumn Mistbreeze
Grandmaster Theurgist

how can you call grizzlehiem a joke i know for a FACT that you did not beat it by yourself bc some of the boss's there are very challanging even for a grandmaster. i havent met a wizard who was able to deafet all four final boss's on their own

and ki does not just cater to the lower levels if they did there would be no crafting quests for marlybone, mooshu, or dragonspyre

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
There is currently no benefit to doing crafting. There are special recipe vendors in every world, but the items you can make are not better than what you will be wearing.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2009
Treasure cards are completely unnecessary to the PvE part of the game (and only "needed" for PvP because others use them).

If you need treasure cards to get through the game, you have not spent the time to learn how to properly play your primary school.

Treasure cards are a crutch that limit some wizards ability to become "true" grandmasters of their chosen school; the more that KI does to discourage their overuse, the better.

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
My kids and I HATE the crafting. Bring back getting useful objects from the battles. The kids I've talked to feel cheated when they've been fighting a hard battle and all they get is a +1 hat.

Survivor
Jan 05, 2009
My son has started playing another game because he does not like the crafting for cards, and was not getting xp after he leveled up to 50. My wife and I think crafting is a waste of time, the regents are so few it is just a pain to do it, not to mention the ridiculous cool down times. KI should have put their crafting effort into more worlds.

Sad to say it but, I think it may be time for my family to move along to another game if regents are not found in abundance. XP for level 50's is not resumed and new worlds or quests are not added. It was fun for the first wizard but got old fast by the third level 50 wizard.

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Inspired wrote:
Treasure cards are completely unnecessary to the PvE part of the game (and only "needed" for PvP because others use them).

If you need treasure cards to get through the game, you have not spent the time to learn how to properly play your primary school.

Treasure cards are a crutch that limit some wizards ability to become "true" grandmasters of their chosen school; the more that KI does to discourage their overuse, the better.

I could not agree more!

Survivor
May 26, 2009
crafting seems more of an afterthought, than anything viable right now. I am doing the quest to get the regular crating station and that is it. It is a BIG TIME and MONEY SINK. If you can make decent items at your level that you can use, then YES. But not making items that are 10-15 lvls below you and cost more to make, than you can sell for.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
You can advance in crafting at any rate you wish as long as you have friends to get to other worlds. A 5th level could (though the chances are greatly against) become a master. It is easy though for a character of level 30-33 to finish the MS quest for crafting and gain access to the lvl 33 clothing, etc, given out there.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
As far as I can tell, crafting does not appear to be worth the time and effort. By the time a player can collect all the necessary ingredients necessary to craft the desired equipment, I'm sure that interest in the game would be greatly reduced. It's rather discouraging.

For those individuals that feel that the need for Treasure Cards is due to a players' inability to properly utilize their primary school spells, I would be almost certain that they have not tried to solo the game or they have not delved in the schools of Storm or Fire, where the healing spells are rather limited and the casting lends to high fizzle rates. I consider myself a fairly good player and have no problems soloing until I go for Malestair, but I couldn't have done it without Fairy TC's to heal whenever I needed.
However, if they are able to solo practically the entire game with only the spells from their Primary School and no TC what-so-ever, I bow a humbled man. *bow* I'm not worthyyyy *bow*

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
They have to do something i'm lvl 50 and crafting is all i have left to do. It took me a week to get the diamonds i needed to craft and then i had to find black Pearls which took even longer. and now they want me to find Blood moss and more black pearls. I have not found 1 blood moss in 3 days. I guess I will have to find another game to play. I have 3 lvl 50's with nothing to do. big mistake making things to hard to find crafting should be fun :-( not boaring!

Survivor
Dec 27, 2008
bonemaker2731 wrote:
They have to do something i'm lvl 50 and crafting is all i have left to do. It took me a week to get the diamonds i needed to craft and then i had to find black Pearls which took even longer. and now they want me to find Blood moss and more black pearls. I have not found 1 blood moss in 3 days. I guess I will have to find another game to play. I have 3 lvl 50's with nothing to do. big mistake making things to hard to find crafting should be fun :( not boaring!

I started several rings for quests and so far only have one. I know it used the regants but I have only one ring in my backpack and should have two. I just started a third one. I think because I changed charactors I must have lost out on the ring but I don't always have an hour to wait for it to produce. I had thought (hoped) when it was done it would go to my backpack or bank.

Defender
Aug 02, 2008
faeriemoonmama wrote:
My kids and I HATE the crafting. Bring back getting useful objects from the battles. The kids I've talked to feel cheated when they've been fighting a hard battle and all they get is a +1 hat.

I totaly agree asp. with your last sentence going along with Grizzle.
the experience and what you get for a reward after that hard long battle
is a slap in the face when you compair it to the experience and rewards you get in krokatopia.

But IMO Crafting is one of the hardest things to empliment 'right' in a game.
because you have to balance every little thing, lot of number crunching and coding. One bad mess up and you just threw the whole game off.
I think Crafting should be something one can do to their 'own' belongings
to 'enhance them' with maybe a slight 2 or 3% (slightly lower than the curant fizzle rate) for the Crafting enhancment to fail, if it fails your robe lets say was a +8 now is a +7. you can craft for differant enhancments you can put on your item too , Offence, Defence,
better aiming, and craft to encrease the + on the pips or even add pips to an item that does not have pips! there will be differant crafting tables for
the object you want to craft enhance.
As for treasure cards you should be able to craft the cards from all the schools that you have trained in! I'm Balance, Storm and Death, So I
should be able to craft all the cards up to my level from these 3 schools.

IMO; the treasure card prices still need more tweaking as well as the Crown to Gold rates which are way out of wack.

Defender
Dec 14, 2008
artistd10353 wrote:

Autumn Mistbreeze
Grandmaster Theurgist

oh so you want a challenge from grizzle? i agree that crafting is kind of a waste of time..... nothing from it but furniture which I like :D but everything else is terrible lol
anyways to challenge yourself try doing jotun,ullik, and the other boss which is called gritzly or something........
anyways their life standing are
jotun;9000 storm
ullik:8000 death
gritzly(or something):8000 life
and a sapscar with 1050......

trying doing that without eliminating ullik and gritzly before the othen stormfather battle.... that will be a challenge

Defender
May 15, 2009
DeejMaster wrote:
I consider myself a fairly good player and have no problems soloing until I go for Malestair, but I couldn't have done it without Fairy TC's to heal whenever I needed.
However, if they are able to solo practically the entire game with only the spells from their Primary School and no TC what-so-ever, I bow a humbled man. *bow* I'm not worthyyyy *bow*

What about the 17 training points you get?

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
Is Crafting worth it....NO!!!!!!!
I am finally working on the second part of the DS crafting for my (I hope) final badge.....and had to go buy a card crafting table because I need cards to help make the five robes this quest requires.
I went to craft some Thunder Snake cards (which I need to make the other cards I need ) and the darn table won't let me craft the cards!!! I have more than enough of the regents required but keep getting the message: "you can't craft that item here"!!!
Excuse me.....I crafted some Storm shark cards on that very same table several hours eariler!!!
Why can't I craft the Thunder Snake now????
The only reason I am putting myself thru this fustration and torture is because I wanted the carousel.
If you are a Grandmaster (which I am) you cannot really make anything that you can use...and no way can you make gold crafting. You cannot sell the items for even what you have spent to make it.

As for getting needed regents and items at the Bazaar.....plan on spending hours there in hopes of even getting a chance at the rarer items. Those players with the faster computers and lots of luck will beat most of us players to them.
Also not every player of Wizard101 has the hours to spend necessary to collect the items needed for crafting....and to actually craft the required number of items!!!!

No.....in this player's opinion crafting is NOT worth the playing time...and it certainly is not entertainment.......and NO WAY is it once ounce of fun!!!

Survivor
Feb 04, 2009
DarthNexus wrote:
artistd10353 wrote:

Autumn Mistbreeze
Grandmaster Theurgist

how can you call grizzlehiem a joke i know for a FACT that you did not beat it by yourself bc some of the boss's there are very challanging even for a grandmaster. i havent met a wizard who was able to deafet all four final boss's on their own

and ki does not just cater to the lower levels if they did there would be no crafting quests for marlybone, mooshu, or dragonspyre

I think she's just talking about drops, she says absolutely nothing about beating GH by herself...

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
I took a break from crafting 10 days ago, hoping that they would increase the supply of reagents, but it seems that they haven't. I picked up several ore deposits today, not a single diamond. It's very frustrating to play a game that so obviously doesn't respect your time. I've gone back to World of Warcraft. I only play this game when my kid needs help with something.

Survivor
May 22, 2009
Well I hope to give you some insight.

I think crafting is worth it. The quests, not so much. They give you good money, but depending on your level, your not going to want to use it.

Crafting your own armor helps you boosts your health, accuracy and power of your primary school and secondary school. Yes, it may not surpass some of the armor you wear now, but I think in the long run it makes you a well rounded wizard.

Personally, I think its very helpful. My primary school is fire and my secondary school if life (along with a little death which i dont use and balance). Their is a dragonspyre recipe vendor (in The Drake Hatchery for all who want to know) that sells really good armor that boosts both fire and life.

It really depends on how you look at things. If your a person who is big on having a lot of health and no boosting stats, than crafting isn't for you. But if you like boosting your stats, then you should be patient and give it a try. Their are many vendors out there that you should try to find.

And the whole gold thing, you earn it back through fighting and selling. So its really no big deal.