Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

terrorwing warlock in drake hatchery, unfair!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 18, 2008
Well, i just started the drake hatchery, and to get these books from terrorwing warlocks, they used minitor on me, i thought that wasn't so bad, its just a 5 pip spell, then they used helephant on me, that is sooooo unfair!

Next they'll be using storm lord or dragon on me! This is something i want to be inproved!

Matthew frogthorn, level 42 master pyromancer

Defender
Jan 20, 2009
No, actually it's not unfair. In any RPG you can expect the monster's power to increase as the game progresses or it wouldn't really be fun. Do you really want to battle monsters who only use rank 4 spells and less when you have the option of using more powerful spells?

Defender
Jan 20, 2009
Furthermore, in any RPG (or most any game for that matter), you will have two power curves to consider:

1. The power curve of the player as he/she progresses through the game, and

2. The power curve of the enemies as the game progresses.

Your real complaint here is that the player power curve for most of the game has been so much higher than the monster's curve, and Dragonspyre is really the first place where the monsters start to catch up with the player in terms of power.

Think about it, from the very beginning you have more health that the monsters you battle, you can heal more often and for more amounts that monsters can, you have access to more spells than monsters do, etc. Think of it this way: You have been fighting two monsters in general whenever you solo, so the player is at least twice as powerful as the average monster.

If you complain about helephant, just wait until the trolls in Labyrinth cast earthquake on you. What makes a game fun and challenging to play is when both sides have relatively the same or close to the same power.

Defender
May 06, 2009
What improvement are you looking for? It sounds like you are complaining that the tougher enemies are too hard?

Be very glad that -- outside of using sprite, or death spells -- enemies generally don't HEAL. This is the biggest advantage we have over them. If you can heal up, you will eventually overpower any odds. I say this after a long, drawn out boss fight where my fire wizard and his fire elemental (big mistake sending him out) fought a fire boss, whittling away at him literally 5 and 10 health at a time. That was a LONG LONG battle.

Remember, Dragonspyre is one of the tougher areas of the game. I agree that some areas are brutally difficult, but not because of the individual strengths of the monsters. I thought it was unfair that the father drake quest puts you in a long tower full of nothing but fire enemies, but I (with my high level fire wizard) managed to get through it with the help of a death wizard. There are ways.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
yeah, that is unfair, why should they be able to use those spells? cant they stick to one school? or a level that wont kill you it isnt fair because some quests are too hard for their own good.

brianna deathsong, 39, necromancer.

Defender
Aug 02, 2008
What I think is Unfair about Dragonspyre is the *Big Ben* like
battles for nearly every quest boss, they go on and on and on and on and...
all I know is my kids lost intrest after the third one, with like
5 more to go! Also the fact that most quest are not worth even doing,
for the rewards that you get, after battling what seems like
'forever' and almost loosing your life . and for what? some losey
part of clothing, etc. Make the quests in DS *Worth doing*.

The time travel Quest in DS needs more dailog, I got very confused
which 'time' I should be in' to complete the quest. for you can go out
in the past area and fight monsters in the past too! hmmm I wonder
if changing something in the past could fix and make things easer in the persant time...? the plot thinkens.

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
yea come on dragonspyre is supposed to be hard. If you are not able to win, then it you. I hate to say this but I know that there are many people who have done that task myself included and I have not found them remarkable.

When they use helephant they often do so without a boost at all which is still a hugh damage, but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle unless you were not supposed to be at that level in the first place.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2009
>> ...managed to get through it with the help of a death wizard.

ElFuego makes a very interesting point here. I as a life wizard find that because I lack a lot of offensive power will need help in many areas of DS. Good thing I have built many friendships on my way here and can rely on their assistance in the game.

In most role-playing games, part of the fun is building those relationships with other people. Now that the monsters have reached a point where help is needed be thankful that you have friends to assist you in your journey.

Explorer
Jan 18, 2009
Hard opponents?

An overwhelming majority of the time, my problem is boring battles. The monotony of haveing to repeat the same combat technique over and over again for so many battles is annoying, and if something broke that monotony with a near-death blow, I'd be rather happy, to be honest. I've never at all had the problem of being near to death (or, at least, less than three times).

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
so your complaining about a rank 7-8 using a 5 pip spell ?

7 > 5

earlier today in a tower a rank 8 banshee thing used scarecrow, which is rank 7 ...

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
If you are the Matthew Frogthorn I am thinking of, and you are still wearing clothes that give you no health boost, then you need to seriously upgrade your gear. The Matthew F. that I am thinking of only has his base health something that would make the double shot you describe very difficult to survive. So, if that is you, look into changing your gear so that you get more health and you will find it much easier to make it through the quests.

Defender
Sep 20, 2008
breeze1026 wrote:
yeah, that is unfair, why should they be able to use those spells? cant they stick to one school? or a level that wont kill you it isnt fair because some quests are too hard for their own good.

brianna deathsong, 39, necromancer.

you dont have to stick to one school