Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Price to dye items

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 13, 2009
I am concerned about the price to dye an item. The price that it costs to dye it is only slightly less then the cost to buy the item in the first place ( I forgot to select the colors at the time).
Perhaps I am a minority, but I feel that the cost to select the color of your garb is a exorbitant and a little ridiculous. Can this be looked into?
It is almost worth buying the items again with crowns to get the right color rather then paying the outlandish fee. :?

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
you do know that an items price changes due to the color your picking. black being the 1st or 2nd color is usually the most in gold.

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
Priced of dye do bother me as well, it was really bad when I had gotten Malistare's death robe, I went to go change the color of it, from silver and white, to black and light purple, and it was like 18,000 gold. The boots and hat added to that made the total dye set around 30,000. It made me cry inside.

Explorer
Feb 07, 2009
I just don't understand the logic of why it is so expensive. And why would higher level clothing cost so much to dye? Is the cloth that much more delicate, or hard to dye? It makes no sense to me.

I don't understand how the high cost contributes to the game.

Survivor
Mar 10, 2009
There is a very simple remedy for this: Buy the item white on white and take it to the dye shop in Wizard City to have it dyed Perfect example: My Earthquake Cap from DS would have cost 75,000 gold if i bought it in red and orange. Rididculous i thought so just for kicks i bought it white on white for 21,000 and it only cost me 11,000 to have it dyed red and orange. HELLO! almost 45,000 gold cheaper try it, it works..

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
I tend to go for the brown on brown for its the cheapest for me. male fire wizard. when im done then ill spend the extra gold to dye it the color I want. Till then.

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Yeah, this pricing is ridiculous. Color changing should be a flat fee. City of Heroes has an AMAZING character customization system, and a color change in that game is a flat rate. I'd say, a non-level dependent, per item fee makes a LOT more sense. I went in to change colors on new DROPPED items where you can't control the colors, and just said, "skip it. I'll look horrible and rich, than beautiful and poor."

Hero
May 19, 2009
gtippett wrote:
There is a very simple remedy for this: Buy the item white on white and take it to the dye shop in Wizard City to have it dyed Perfect example: My Earthquake Cap from DS would have cost 75,000 gold if i bought it in red and orange. Rididculous i thought so just for kicks i bought it white on white for 21,000 and it only cost me 11,000 to have it dyed red and orange. HELLO! almost 45,000 gold cheaper try it, it works..

dying things brown is even cheaper then dying it white

Hero
May 19, 2009
i also think the price of dying items is unfair, most people dye there clothing according to whichever school there in. so someone from the school of death would have to pay the most unreasonable price to look the part of a proper death wizard while someone in the school of balance would save the most money paying for brown clothing.

so do you set the price based on the popularity of the color of clothing black being the fav among people and brown being the most disliked?

Survivor
May 23, 2008
Defender
Dec 11, 2008
It is high, but I really don't mind. I max my money out now about every other day. Until a new world opens, there is nothing left that I want to buy. So every few days I just go and dye my clothes different colors to get rid of 20 to 30,000 gold.

Survivor
May 18, 2009
Oh well thats great for you. But for some people who like to spend their gold on some other things need to save. I mean I agree with the rediculous pricings I mean think about it to just change the color of your characters clothes is almost 30,000 gold pieces for some people. In other online games I have played its either very cheap or free to change my characters clothing colors. I don't see why it has to be so expensive its not like all the gold we spend on it is going towards building a better wizard 101 hence it being fake lol. I just really hope they can lower the prices because I have better things that I want to spend my gold on.

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
It depends what colors you want to dye the object. I bought a flying pig and wanted the colors to be black and light blue. The color black is the most expensive and I think white is the cheapest. Good luck and hope I helped!

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
rlekan wrote:
its a gold sink, a way for them to remove gold from the game.

Why, though, is such a gold sink needed in this game? Normally, currency sinks exist in MMO games to reduce the inflation of the in-game economy, but Wizard 101 has no in game economy. Items are purchased or sold at set prices to NPC vendors. (If I understand the description of the Bazaar correctly, prices there vary, but based on calculations using the number of items available, and thus price remains regular and regulated, safe from inflation).

So in the end, the price of dying items is less an economic maintenance measure and more a vanity cost. The colors of one's robes do not affect abilities at all, so it's not a huge penalty, but low level (and therefor usually poor) wizards must choose between looking how they want to look or purchasing equipment that will boost their stats.

Defender
Sep 22, 2008
gtippett wrote:
brown on brown is cheaper

Defender
Dec 23, 2008
gtippett wrote:
There is a very simple remedy for this: Buy the item white on white and take it to the dye shop in Wizard City to have it dyed

A suitable solution if you're talking about a purchased item. Your options are somewhat more limited if what you want to dye is something you've just taken from a defeated boss.

Here's a question: Is the price increasing with your level, or with the level of the clothing. One interesting experiment would be to transfer your item to one of your lower-level wizards, and let them have it dyed for you.

Defender
Feb 03, 2009
Perhaps now that there are other money sinks in the game...Houses, Crafting, expensive Treasure cards, etc...Dying your clothes will become cheaper. I agree. It's utterly ridiculous. If I'm not mistaken...Orange is one of the most expensive colors...orange...the mind boggles.