Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fizzle Rate since last Update

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 30, 2009
There is a discussion on the Wizard 101 Central forums about the apparent change in fizzle rates since the last update (Castles and Lands), and I thought I would at least mention it here.

I have started a Life wizard and I am fizzling more than 10% of the time - more like 25% of the time. Anybody else notice it?

Another thing, and maybe this shoud be a different topic, but I have noticed it since the last update. I get monsters down to 0 hps and they still cast a spell. Sometimes you can't see the monster and they are casting a spell with 0 hps.

There may be a bunch of crazy people on the Wizard 101 Central forums, but it has been mentioned there.

Cheers.

Explorer
Jul 05, 2008
I did notice more fizzles but last night it was pretty normal. Though I am also noticing more fizzles from life but maybe it was under fizzled rate before ??

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
I have been watching the central thread on increased fizzle rate with interest. There have been one or two mentions of it here as well. It has not affected my balance or ice/storm wizards (not even on the storm spells). A few other people have also mentioned they are not affected. I am wondering if it is a problem with certain gear, which would explain how some wizards could be affected and others not. I suggest you make a list (or a screen shot while looking at your backpack screen) of all the gear you are currently using and send that with a bug report to KI. If they get several of these, perhaps they can see a pattern in what gear is involved.

The problem of monsters coming back to life if you hit them with close to their exact number of health points has been around for a while and KI are aware of it. Both you and the monsters frequently get a point or two of health added to your score after each turn (you can see it change in your crystal ball if you watch it just when cards come up for the next turn). If this happens when you have just knocked the foe's health way below zero, it stays defeated. If you just got the foe to zero or -1 or so, getting a bonus point or two causes them to hop up and fight some more. I expect this is on the list of things to be fixed, but in the meantime think of it as a weird side effect of using magic.

Defender
Dec 11, 2008
My fizzle rate has jumped up a lot in the past few days. I had a battle last night where every single one of my main school spells fizzled (Myth). I was forced to use my secondary spells completely and not any of those fizzled.

I'm level 42 and the past few days have been the worst fizzle days I have had since my first few days of play.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
Ok, there are a lot of number generator algorithms available to manage the fizzle rate but it seems that the current one has either been tweaked the wrong way or got changed by updating other code. Please fix!!!

we would all be a lot happier.

Bear1974

Survivor
May 03, 2009
I've realized that you need to give a final blow to the mob that is 3 or more points beyond it's remaining hp or else it survives and will attack you next round.

What else is odd is every time it has happened to me the creature will attack me with a damage spell even if it has a single pip. Everytime.

No shielding or traps just damage.

If it has 2 points of hp or higher remaining after my attack then it will cast a shield or trap about 50% of the time.

I will always die when I am attacked with a spell that damages me with exactly the same points that I have remaining.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2009
tadpollard wrote:
There is a discussion on the Wizard 101 Central forums about the apparent change in fizzle rates since the last update (Castles and Lands), and I thought I would at least mention it here.

I have started a Life wizard and I am fizzling more than 10% of the time - more like 25% of the time. Anybody else notice it?

Another thing, and maybe this shoud be a different topic, but I have noticed it since the last update. I get monsters down to 0 hps and they still cast a spell. Sometimes you can't see the monster and they are casting a spell with 0 hps.

There may be a bunch of crazy people on the Wizard 101 Central forums, but it has been mentioned there.

Cheers.

I must say, I, too, have noticed in increase in fizzle rate. I am a grandmaster storm and since the last update, I am at around 60% success. My spells are typically 70%. In pvp I gain an extra 14% with pvp gear. I should be about 84%. I have also noticed an intermittency with power pips. With PvP gear on, I have 83% power pip rate. Yet somehow, I managed to get 4 white pips in a row. Strange. Another interesting fact: In a PvP battle, the first time I try to use Storm Lord or Tempest, I typically fizzle. It seems like everytime on the first try. Sometimes it fizzles twice in a row.

Hopefully KI will be able to determine what is causing this madness, that began after he last update.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
I have 6 wizards and my fire wizard has it the worst! Worse than my storm one actually! Well 75% is not very good to begin with!! Instead of fizzling 25% of the time I feel like I am fizzling 40% of the time! I have lost a lot of battles lately because i fizzled on a spell I shouldn't of fizzled on!! Before the update whenever someone put that -45% fizzle thing on me I srill wouldn't fizzle!! It is soooo weird!

Jasmine Firesong,
level 34 pyromancer(Who fizzles a lot!)

Survivor
Nov 02, 2008

I have found fizzle rates higher as well, this has happened before and either I got used to it or somehow it changed.
I like to calculate the hits on monsters to be efficient in my battles and the ones that disappear with zero health have been here for sometime, you are just that good, lol!

I see a trend here where going solo isn’t as easy as it used to be, hence the fizzle rate, idk.

One thing I have noticed and you may consider this bad advice but, choose a realm that is somehow associated with your main school be it your teachers’ name or spell or creature. I have found my fizzle rate more normal in these specified realms, perhaps an attempt to gather the same school wizards or create a unique scenario for battle with different school wizards.

Cheers,
Oran Jade Hunter ;-]

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
Any official word regarding the higher fizzle rates from the professors yet? I'm noticing that my balance wizard is fizzling just as much as my storm. Life is fizzling more often as well. My storm and fire are a pain to play as of now.

It was mentioned in some thread awhile ago that fizzles might be attributed to equipped gear. I'm noticing the fizzles happening more often regardless of what I have equipped, so I'm not sure that equipment has anything to do with it. An official answer addressing this would be nice because I'd hate to think that it's all in my head.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2008
I've been documenting this.

My fire wizard (Grand Master with +9% to all chance of success in all schools).

My fire dragon success rate (75% + 9% = 84%) should fizzle about 16% of the time. Before last patch this was about the exact rate of fail I was seeing.

Now the fail rate is > 35%. Something like 2 in 5 casts of any fire spell with a 75% base success rate are failing. Without the special clothes I was seeing something in the 50-60% fizzle rate.

This is over MANY battles. that is, it was not a statistical oddity. Had my wife check this out and confirm. Her balance wizard seems unaffected. We've both been in duels where fire wizards are fizzling many many times while storm wizards and having great success, almost no fizzles.

I don't know how anyone without massive bonuses to success can play a fire wizard right now.

Developers: Please note this appears to be a re-surfacing of a bug that was present a couple of patches ago. It also appears to be much more severe during heavier load times (early mornings the spells work better than early evenings).

Survivor
Mar 11, 2009
I have a fire school wizard that is fizzling about 3 out of every 5 casts on attack spells. Many times on the first two attempts. have gotten killed numerous times over the past few days due to this increase. I am about to quit playing if this doesn't improve. Since I like to solo alot it is getting very frustrating.