Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why is wizard 101 so hard?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 03, 2009
Ok, i might be the only one who thinks this, but maybe not :p. Well... this was a game built on the foundation for giving KIDS a fun and exciting game that will also teach them at the same time. But, oh clever wizard101.. you experts made a game that is not only fun and exciting for kids but ADULTS as well, I am 24 years old, i started this game because my little sister age of 11 wanted to play so i'd help her out by talking for her but letting her battle and help her make friends so she could have help. Little did i know how difficult this game is, I personally had no earthly idea that this child designed game would be so tough. The areas get harder and harder and my little sister has almost given up but i urge her on telling her i could get her through it, that we would work together. It takes forever to finish quests because everywhere you go you run into a battle that delays you for a while and then you finish the battle and continue your quest and get caught in another battle! And, and lol it doesnt give you time to heal, well your lucky if your life or life is your second school or your in trouble cause they hit you one good time and boom, your defeated and sent all the way back to the beginning again, now you have to go all the way back when you were sooooo close to the quest before and rethink so you dont get caught in another battle, well haha that doesnt happen no matter how clever you think you are they always get you cause they come out of no where lol! just when you think your clear to run boom there goes a minion from thin air and now your stuck in a battle. Yes ofcourse this helps you level, gives you gold and lots of nice things, but it takes you longer to get your quests done. Now what would be cool if the minions did not appear until you got a quest to aquire them would be cool, or if they cant get you unless you run into them or clicked them even! that would be sooo cool like in world of warcraft you click you battle or else they leave you alone and pass through you, like you werent there, or OR!! if you could hide yourself until you wanted to battle so that you dont get caught by one that would be really cool, you could have us pay for a cloak that lasted until we took it off for a battle and/or would come off when you go through a door, so that they cant get you no matter where you run. I am an adult speaking for the young wizards, ive gotten to a point myself that i dont even want to play this game, i like the new challenges, and quests and bosses they are a blast and help you out, the housing is really neat.. but this minor change can bring smiles and make wizard 101 a bit more easy for those tough regions. I apologize for the long message but i want to help improve this game. Dont you think the young wizards would enjoy an invisability cloak? :) i do! hehe

Sincerely,
Suri Soulshade, Necromancer.

Administrator
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.

If you're still finding the worlds of the Spiral difficult, you may find some hints and tips in our extensive Players Guide.

You may find the section about Health & Mana to be enlightening, as well as the simple trick of staying on the sidewalks to be safe. Now Marleybone is a different story, as there are no sidewalks on rooftops, but when you're on a roof, it's much safer to stay in the middle away from the edges don't you think?

I hope you and your sister continue to enjoy Wizard101 together. Teamwork makes all the difference, and if you feel you're not strong enough for the area you are in, take a step back and explore areas in the previous world that you may have missed. As you learn and grow, you will become much more powerful. We have amazing fansites such as Wizard101Central.com that offer deck building guides, boss guides and other hints and tips for players of all levels.

What matters most is that you are having fun together.
See you in Wizard City!

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Apr 03, 2009
Yes, thank you for your response. Yes it is better to work for your rank, and makes you more stronger player. But, it would be a small improvement to the game and would help young wizards be able to play the game alone without the help of parental help. I think that they would love this new idea of an invisability cloak. If not that for the minions to ask permission to fight you, so if you needed it you can and wanted to you can, not when you dont. and the part where they come out of now where.. yes thrilling, shock but dissapointly when your eagerly wanting to turn in a quest but dont want to flee so you wont have to got to start 1. There has been a few complaints from some of the young and elder wizards, maybe one day we will win the hearts of the board and find a way to improve our questing experience in wizard101. :)

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
If you've been a gamer for a long time and think this game is hard for kids, go back and play the games you played when you were 11. You'll probably find some a lot harder than this.

It sounds like your problem is running into mobs. Mobs follow very predictable patterns, usually wandering repeatedly in a loop. Scattered all over the map are places that mobs don't go. Such places are safe, and you can stand there and watch without being attacked. Early on, it's sidewalks that are safe, but the particular spots change in later worlds. Once you can see where mobs go, wait for them to get out of the way and then it's easy to pass.

Survivor
May 03, 2009
The challenges for higher leveled wizards are tougher, but I don't feel the game is 'hard'. Up to level 14/15 all road/path based tangles can be avoided by staying to the sidewalk except inside sunken city. But this quest area doesn't need to be beaten to advance into krocotopia. There is also plenty of warning by the game if you will entering an area with a substantial change from what you are used to.

My daughter loves the game. She is always announcing that she "Wants to fight!" I find the visual look to the game is tremendous and the fact it's based on questing more than fighting means the young ones don't need to be worried about powerplaying. Manipulation of your surroundings with the housing addition is very enjoyable.

Like with everything else you will not make everyone happy but w101 seems to be doing a good job for most. Personally there are some changes I would like that I think may help.

From level 1 to 5 triple the regeneration of mana from wasps. At 5 return the regen rate back to normal. My daughter wanted to stay on the field and didn't like taking 'time out' to regen thru minigames.

Equalize the arena by setting each opponents mana and hp to the lowest common denominator.-> Either add the numbers together and devide by the number of players or equalize the numbers with the player with the least. Ex. 1 player has 860 hp, and one has 1520 (most likely crown purchased eq). Force both into the arena with the hp locked at a max of 860. The eq will still play a big part but the playing field would be more equalized.

Since my little one doesn't play unless I am with her I make sure she understands what's required for the next step. We both have been getting a kick out playing this game.

It's not perfect but it is a high classed game I have no problem with letting my daughter spend time on.

Peace
Xeno

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
okay well this is my first post so wish me luck Wizard101 is a game created by Kingsisle which they have stated countless times that Wizard101 is a game for kids as well as adults so they have to try and make it easy for kids yet challenging for adult gamers which this can be hard to do and Kingsisle makes the game harder as it goes on, just like any other game because they have figured by that time your wizard (and wizard friends) should be at a high enough level to take on that area, yes i agree that monsters roaming the streets can get very annoying and im clearly not sure if their there for certain quest you have to defeat them for or to just be annoying. During instanced areas (that are non-gauntleted) you may find yourself a few levels a way and you get killed, this is not a problem as long as you (and other defeated buddies) fill up your potions, get health and mana back up and get to the instanced level with in thirty minutes you and your buds will be allowed to go back in and pick up at where you were killed. Hope this helped! also if you and your sister ever need help with an area that i can go to I will help as long as i am not an in instanced area or I have to long off soon, my wizards name is
Alex Shade, level 36
School: Death
Secondary School: Ice

Survivor
Apr 10, 2009
Azalia, what level are you? Where do you find this problem was first noticable?

There are abundant safe spots in almost all areas, and the ones that dont are optional. Remember to look both ways before crossing the street! :D

Survivor
Apr 03, 2009
My name is Suri Soulshade I am school of Death (main) and Life (second) and soon to be school of Ice(third). I am level 30, I have 1700+ health and 200+ mana. First off thank you all for taking some interest in my topic and replying to me. Maybe i should rephrase my topic title to not being hard, but maybe less sutle like why is it so nerving or tedious or possibly a bit difficult. Ok, i understand that this game is just a piece of cake for most players, i never said its hard for everyone, this is my own personal opinion. I do enjoy the game very much, i tell my friends and family about it and i get so excited when i get to a new level, a new card or new wardrobe. I personally love the game i really do, but yet i am NOT the only one who complains about the random goons. I have tried every trick there is, i have gone through this whole entire forum everyday to see about new tricks and who else is having problems and there are alot. I may not be wizard101 all the time, most times its computer related. In laggy areas i know just switch and go to a new realm but for those that computers are unable to calm down in any realm.. what about them? All i am saying is people on here almost everyday try to persuade the administrators of wizard101 use their ideas in the game. Ive seen alot of forums about housing and i dont know if it has anything to do with it but now there is housing in wizard101. There have been many, many students that requested making questing a bit more easier to obtain for those who's computers are not all that great. Ive mentioned a invisible cloak that could profit the players and the business as well, ive also mentioned that like in wow you could click the goons/monsters and then battle them or else they run right through you so you can have as many as you wanted to battle and many others have mentioned some great ideas on how to approach them as well. It will just simply help us out, I am not complaining because oh this has happened once, i have tried about 20 times to turn in the small quest but i can never do it because before i get to my quest just one rooftop away from it boom i get into a fight, i fight and win good, i try to heal dont get a chance to cause boom im in another battle. Ok you may all say hey dont worry about healing just go! oh no.. that doesnt work ive tried that, i run after the battle looking both ways mind you and being very cautious and yet i still get in a battle except i didnt heal so i get killed and sent back to saftey now i have to heal and go all the way back to get stopped again at that same point or usually the point before.I am, however, not complaining about instances i never go at it alone, therefore i never have a problem with them. I have not had any problems with goons until Marleybone. Any point of time before then was a breeze and i had lots of fun finding a clever way to avoid these goons, but in marleybone, there isnt a way to avoid them, maybe its the realm i am in, maybe its my computer i am not sure, but you all can not sit there and tell me run down the middle, watch and find out the sequence the run in, ive done that ive tried everything, the problem is, is that they come out of no where! I can not just sit there for a few seconds and see where they run to, cause guess what they come up from behind me, ive tried sticking to the sides like on the edge of the rooftops and i think they can see you or something cause one got me from there, ive tried running/walking behind them, that doesnt work cause one is going the other is running across that i didnt notice because i am focusing on the one in front of me and the one behind me. I dont have a problem with the ghosts, or ghouls, or cats and rats.. its those running clock things that just do their own thing lol. I like how this game is challenging, the bigger the challenge the more rewarding it is, but just wanting to try something new to help us out a bit.

Survivor
May 04, 2009
I like some people think the game is hard to solo i am stuck in the vault of ice try to kill one of the many banshees and my friends that play cant help me at all because they are not far enough :( i'm level 23 and even with any treasure card or help i cant beat one of them it makes me mad! :x

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
I was able to solo Vault of Ice with my Death/ Myth Wizard and only died 2 times. The second time because someone was helping me and then fled and left me to fight 3 at one time. I was playing Tomb of the Beguiler with 2 other people and did notice that there is a big leap in difficulty with Krokotopia and WC. I also thought that when my kids get from WC to that area that they will feel frustrated by how much more harder Krokotopia is than WC. I understand places need to be harder but it would be nice to have the next area be a little more difficult than the last not a lot more difficult. Also I think the Sunken City is way too hard to have in Wizard City and I felt it was more of a pain to play than most of the dungeons in Krokotopia even the Tomb of the Beguiler was a cake walk compared to Sunken City.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Online games tend to not work terribly well in heavy lag, and that really can't be fixed. This game is more tolerant of lag than most.

Also, learn to use paragraphs. The make a long message much easier to read.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2008
It's RPG and adventure together It's supposod to be hard its Very fun for me i know its hard it takes a long time for me to get to mooshu but see i'm not mad i just battle do quests and have fun :D if you think it's hard then don't play

Explorer
Jan 07, 2009
W101 isn't HARD, it's just CHALLENGING. W101 gives kids and adults encouragement to reach for the stars, if you can believe it, you can achieve it, to get messy, make mistakes, and make them right! So ignore how challenging W101 is and turn the teeth-grinding into enjoyable playing, and just be thankful KI came up with the idea for this amazing game and had the guts to make it happen!

Wow, that was a nice speech. My parents would be proud.... XD ROFL.

Scarlet HawkHeart
Lvl 32 Magus Sorcerer

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
Azalia. I agree with you.

I have played games for years online and offline. I have played Magic the Gathering, Nosforateau *spelling* and other card games. I am 30 years old. I know how to build a deck of cards to work for me against most things (no im not perfect).

This is supposed to be a kids game but anyone can enjoy. It works well for a while. Then, it gets annoyingly difficult.

I see so many people say "this game is easy" or "you need to learn how to build a better deck". No. Sorry, I know what I'm doing. I've been there, done that. Things are possible, and I'm not saying they aren't i.e. soloing different places, fighting things etc. The difficulty vs reward argument doesn't work especially when I am canceling my account this week.

I haven't even played more than 1 hour in the past almost two weeks.

I am not finding it fun anymore. I find the game more aggravating than rewarding. This started almost as soon as i hit Colossus blvd. I got my characters all up at least into Krok, and I'm afraid that's where they are going to die.

The game is so fun in the beginning but soon takes a turn for the worse.
I agree with you.

Defender
May 29, 2009

wow, if you found Colossus Blvd hard, then you're probably interested in a less challenging game. Every game has a learning curve, and this one is no different. But different people enjoy different things. W101 may not be your cup of tea.

I am 38 years old and started playing when my 5 year old son got interested. I've found this game to be the right mix of challenge and entertainment. Can my 5 year old solo beyond wizard city? Not really, but we've used it as yet another activity that we can do together. It has sparked his imagination and his creativity as evidenced by stories that he makes up, pictures that he draws, etc.

If the game were easy, it would be boring. Yes, that is true. Easy means pre-determined outcome. That's boring. Boring online games do not stay in business very long.

csmeat wrote:
Azalia. I agree with you.

I have played games for years online and offline. I have played Magic the Gathering, Nosforateau *spelling* and other card games. I am 30 years old. I know how to build a deck of cards to work for me against most things (no im not perfect).

This is supposed to be a kids game but anyone can enjoy. It works well for a while. Then, it gets annoyingly difficult.

I see so many people say "this game is easy" or "you need to learn how to build a better deck". No. Sorry, I know what I'm doing. I've been there, done that. Things are possible, and I'm not saying they aren't i.e. soloing different places, fighting things etc. The difficulty vs reward argument doesn't work especially when I am canceling my account this week.

I haven't even played more than 1 hour in the past almost two weeks.

I am not finding it fun anymore. I find the game more aggravating than rewarding. This started almost as soon as i hit Colossus blvd. I got my characters all up at least into Krok, and I'm afraid that's where they are going to die.

The game is so fun in the beginning but soon takes a turn for the worse.
I agree with you.

Survivor
May 24, 2009

Unless I'm mistaken, there is a review at the homepage:
"I would recommend this game to anyone, whether they were 6 or 106!" Jamie Griffith, Beta Test Player and Parent

Which means It was aimed to entertain anyone. If you are not enjoying it, then don't play for a while! Then try again in a few hours or days. It happens to everyone, when people find themselves kicking and threatening to sue their computer . In fact, I, myself, haven't played in a few days due to a tough boss fight, but i will try again eventually!

If the game were so easy you could finish it in a month, there would be no challenge and it wouldn't be all that fun.

I do agree with the longer cloak time idea, but not the click to battle idea. If you want WoW, go play WoW.

Never underestimate the kids game.

And good luck with whatever is hard for you !