Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Does raising a pet's attributes really help?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2010
Hello,
I came across the following pet talent and can't help but wonder what it means and how a pet talent that raises a pet's attributes really helps?

A Pet Talent that either provides benefits to the wizard or raises the Pet's attributes.

Rarity: Ultra-Rare

Effect: +1 to +197 Health

Calculation: (2*Agility + 2*Will + Power)x3/25
(from Wizard 101 wiki site)

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Cori Rubyblade

Defender
May 24, 2012
I have a Fierce Hound that can keep me alive in a duel. It really comes in handy in gauntlets, I can tell you. But if he could manifest a talent that made him do that more often it would be a great thing.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
ok, here's how this works. Pet bonuses are formulas, so the higher an individual stat is, the better the bonus.

If your Agility, Will and Power were all 50, you'd see this as your bonus:
(2*50+2*50+50)*3/25=Bonus Health
100+100+50*3/25=Bonus Health
250*3/25=Bonus Health
750/25=30 Bonus Health

If your Agility, Will and Power were all 100, you'd see this as your bonus:
(2*100+2*100+50)*3/25=Bonus Health
200+200+50*3/25=Bonus Health
450*3/25=Bonus Health
13,500/25=54 Bonus Health

So, you can see a direct link between a pet's stat AND it's bonuses.

This talent does NOT raise the PET's stats, it adds health to YOUR WIZARD. It's a bonus for training a pet who has this skill. SOME skills help YOU, some help the PET, in THIS case, YOU benefit from it. There's lots of pets who have skills that benefit the wizard and they all have formulas for deciding what bonus you get. Pip-o-plenty is another one that uses a formula just like this

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
dayerider wrote:

So, you can see a direct link between a pet's stat AND it's bonuses.

To clarify this, the pet stats benifit your wizard only if the pet has a talent that boosts the wizards stats (health, mana, pips, etc).

I haven't confirmed this, but I believe the pet talent bonus increases as the pet stats increase. The bonus is not fixed at the time the pet learned the talent. So a seemingly crumby bonus can be improved upon.

What this also means is that the pet stat max value has a significant effect on the benifit that a pet talent can eventually provide.

Can another wizard please confirm what I said?

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
More clarification:

I tested and incresing my pets Willpower attribute (217 to 240) resulted in an increase in the pets Mana Gift talent. (increased from +85 to +89).

Now my pet's willpower attribute is maxed out at 240. If my pet had a talent that increased its willpower I assume this would allow me to increase the Mana Gift talent. Another wizard would have to confirm if this is true.

Survivor
May 31, 2010
Thank you all. I think I understand now. I have to have a talent that is directly affected by the other talent or plus a certain amount of an attribute. Long way to say it but I think I got it.
Thanks to all, MomDestroyer