Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

gaming etiquette

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Hi All,
I figured after a few unfortunate run ins, I'd write up a few guidelines that many people play by.

1. Everyone logging into the game, is here to have fun. Insults and griefing take away from that. So if you don't have anything nice to say to a person, don't say it.

2. Randomly sending out friend invites is kinda creepy. I don't know you, I haven't played with you, or even spoken with you, so understand that I will decline your random friend invite. If you are declined, sending out 5 more invites won't make me hit yes, it'll just make me hit ignore.

3. That new friend you just made the other day, who was so nice and helpful, when they log on, don't repeatedly ask them for help. Ask once nicely, but understand they may have things they want to do today and have limited time to play. So if they sorry, they are busy, don't wait 5 minutes and ask them again. That makes them feel like you are just using them.

4. If you see someone wearing crowns gear and they seem nice, don't ask them for crowns, card packs, or any gifts at all. That is inappropriate. Crowns cost real money and what you are doing is unnecessarily begging. I have heard of people gifting things from the crowns store, but I have never actually met anyone who did do that. So don't expect it and don't ask for it. If it happens, accept it as a most rare and generous gift.

5. Hatching pets can be fun, but if someone declines your offer to hatch together don't take it personally. They may be searching for a particular pet to hatch with or a particular pet talent. If hatching was free, I'm sure they would be happy to hatch with you, but it can cost upwards of 50,000 gold!

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but for now this should do.

Tatiana Winterheart

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I love this list, and think EVERY wizard in the Spiral should have to read it before signing up.

As a level 80 wizard, who also happens to own several rare mounts from the packs, I can't go anywhere without people begging for gifts or spamming help-requests at me. So I keep my friend-requests turned off, use my Ignore button freely, and don't allow group adds~ it sucks, but the only way to protect myself from the beggars and spammers is to make sure they can't find any cracks in my armour.

I got a phoenix (2-person mount) the other night, and I was super-stoked about it. So I invited one of my best in-game friends to test-drive it with me, and we had just arrived in Northguard when some random guy came up to us and (no word of a lie) said, "let me on it!" Well, I was busy chatting with my friend, so I didn't reply right away~ he kept begging and begging, then finally said "fine, don't", and walked away. My friend and I were both in shock~ I guess manners in the Spiral are as nonexistent as the First Amendment. But I digress.

-

I'd like to add a few things to your list:

-Always ask before porting or joining someone's battle uninvited.

I was once fighting mobs in Zafaria, and had about 300 health left. I had just gotten my parting-shots in, when two random players joined my fight and dragged in TWO more monsters. It would have been really inconvenient, as I might have died and lost credit for all of my quest kills.

People who randomly port into friends' battles, especially when they don't meet the level requirement for that world, should also ask first before porting in unannounced.

-When joining a battle uninvited, help out the person in the first spot as much as you can.

In the scenario above, one of those players apologized, and was nice enough to heal me. And, had the situation been reversed, I would have done the same thing for him. It's called respect, and will win you friends~ you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, amirite?

-Don't try to take control of a battle that you didn't start.

Asking me nicely to buff or heal you is one thing, but don't you dare start giving me orders. If I started the duel and am in the first spot, I call the shots~ not you; if you join my fight and start demanding favours, I'll flee and switch realms. I don't waste my time or spells on people who are ill-mannered/disrespectful.

I hope others will add to this as well~ thanks for posting, and happy trails!

Laura/veebz
the Archmage of Awesomeness ;)

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Squire
Feb 29, 2012
About time someone posted something like this.

I've had problems with under-leveled players porting and fleeing, sometimes in a boss fight bringing in two extra opponents as I usually fight with one other person, or bringing in another monster.

Also another thing would be: If I say I'm busy I am. I would help, but quite frankly if I haven't seen you in months you're not getting much. One boss fight, mobs I won't help with unless you're a good friend that I have starred.

And that if I'm hanging with friends I'm not going to drop out of their house if I don't want to. I mean seriously, if I called someone over from a friend's house to help me fry eggs would that be fair? Not entirely.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
what veebz said. I hate with a bloody passion people who do that. If you get drawn in (first it's pretty obvious so don't try to fake it) against your will, apologize and help out the player whose battle you disrupted and don't ever jump in without asking if you can join first. I had some irritating knight in shining armour (guys this will not get you the girl) jump in when my health was low but I had cast the spell I knew would kill the boss and when I irritably said you might have asked actually had the audacity to say, you looked like you needed help. No, he did not ask, do you need help before assuming he'd play the hero and I'd be impressed. My spell did kill the boss but now he'd dragged another one in and my duel was no longer over. I'd been playing for hours and was tired and also needed to go have lunch and medicine I have to take with food at the proscribed time so he really messed me up and needless to say hero is not how I thought of him.

Also what Ionya said. If someone says they can't, they can't even if they're not questing themselves. Maybe they haven't the time or maybe they're catching up with friends or just plain socializing with someone. You have no right to view your friends as your personal servants to come without question whenever you say port to me. Politely ask for my help. I hate when someone says port to me without saying why. I might just help you but let me know what I'm getting into. I may not have time or the ability to aid you. I'm not going to port just because someone orders me to. See above reference to taking medicine at proscribed times with food. But anyone's reason to be off momentarily is theirs and valid even if it's just that they want to go do something else. They're living their life revolved around them, not you.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Thank you for posting this. 50% of the Sprial need to read this...Also i have one.

*Do not curse. Cursing doesnt make you cool or anything at all. Plus its against the rules*

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Here's another one:

When running a dungeon with other people, don't expect them not to use your traps.

After a certain point, dungeon encounters usually contain 4 monsters to fight in each battle. Many players decide to use group affecting spells as opposed to single target spells in these instances. So when you place a feint on a monster in one of these battles, and the next turn the wizard ahead of you casts sirens and uses your feint, don't get upset, they didn't waste your trap.

I always try and play by these rules and have found it rather tedious to deal with folk who do not. In truth, I'm kinda getting sick of accepting new friends one day and then kicking them the next day. lol

Tatiana Winterheart

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Blaze Duskdreamer on Oct 6, 2012 wrote:
what veebz said. I hate with a bloody passion people who do that. If you get drawn in (first it's pretty obvious so don't try to fake it) against your will, apologize and help out the player whose battle you disrupted and don't ever jump in without asking if you can join first. I had some irritating knight in shining armour (guys this will not get you the girl) jump in when my health was low but I had cast the spell I knew would kill the boss and when I irritably said you might have asked actually had the audacity to say, you looked like you needed help. No, he did not ask, do you need help before assuming he'd play the hero and I'd be impressed. My spell did kill the boss but now he'd dragged another one in and my duel was no longer over. I'd been playing for hours and was tired and also needed to go have lunch and medicine I have to take with food at the proscribed time so he really messed me up and needless to say hero is not how I thought of him.

Also what Ionya said. If someone says they can't, they can't even if they're not questing themselves. Maybe they haven't the time or maybe they're catching up with friends or just plain socializing with someone. You have no right to view your friends as your personal servants to come without question whenever you say port to me. Politely ask for my help. I hate when someone says port to me without saying why. I might just help you but let me know what I'm getting into. I may not have time or the ability to aid you. I'm not going to port just because someone orders me to. See above reference to taking medicine at proscribed times with food. But anyone's reason to be off momentarily is theirs and valid even if it's just that they want to go do something else. They're living their life revolved around them, not you.
Where were you fighting a boss mob with roamers around anyway. Most bosses dont have roamers that can be pulled in near them do they.