Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Friending Others

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Thoughts regarding friending others:

1 - Low level random strangers sending friend requsts as i am running by. I don't see the point. Not to sound mean but i don't know you, we can't successfuly quest together. I certainly don't want you unexpectadly porting into the middle of a battle attracting more monsters that you can't help with. So no, i don't really want random friend requests. And I'm not really interested in being your guy!

2 - Help! requests from friends you don't really know. I'm old school where help means your drowning and you need assistance. Not that you want a buddy to walk around with you. Perhaps KI could add a menu chat item "are you available to quest with me?".

3 - Relentless dogging to be someone's guy or girl. Again i'm old school, but thats just plain annoying. I immediately delete from my friend list.

4 - Badgering strangers for free gifts and treasure cards. Get lost!

5 - The best friends i have made are on quests. Particularly in tough situations where players work together. Random requests of "do you need help?"
are great. I have never turned down a "can you help me with this dungeon?" request. Doesn't matter who or what level.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
RottenHeart wrote:

1 - Low level random strangers sending friend requsts as i am running by. I don't see the point. Not to sound mean but i don't know you, we can't successfuly quest together. I certainly don't want you unexpectadly porting into the middle of a battle attracting more monsters that you can't help with. So no, i don't really want random friend requests. And I'm not really interested in being your guy!

2 - Help! requests from friends you don't really know. I'm old school where help means your drowning and you need assistance. Not that you want a buddy to walk around with you. Perhaps KI could add a menu chat item "are you available to quest with me?".

3 - Relentless dogging to be someone's guy or girl. Again i'm old school, but thats just plain annoying. I immediately delete from my friend list.

5 - The best friends i have made are on quests. Particularly in tough situations where players work together. Random requests of "do you need help?"
are great. I have never turned down a "can you help me with this dungeon?" request. Doesn't matter who or what level.

Reasons 1, 3 and 4 are the primary reasons my friends list is very, very short. I have a few close in game friends that I will do anything for in game - help with dungeons, give them extra TCs, etc.... whatever. But that list is incredibly short. I used to accept random friend requests, but when the first questions always seemed to be either: "do you have a boy" or "do you have crowns", I decided no more. Now I only friend people I meet while questing, and actually TALK to.

Oh, and in regards to number 2? please don't ask a level 80 for help in CL, then tell me when I get there "you got the boss" and have me kill a minion worth 2K HP. If you need help, you better really need help.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
RottenHeart wrote:

I totally agree with all of this.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
RottenHeart wrote:

I like you. Really.

#1: I keep my friend-requests turned off, but will turn them on for someone I like enough (meaning they're useful in combat and don't annoy me).

#2: I agree here, too. I will never refuse a call for help, but my own quests take precedence~ don't spam me with demands, or (if I'm in combat) insist that I port when I've already told you I'm busy.

#3: There are sites for online dating, and those are for adults. As such, that behaviour is not, and will never be, appropriate in-game.

#4: I had 2 "friends" beg me for gifts yesterday, and both are now on Ignore. I'm not poor, but I value my money and have no patience for spoiled, entitled kids; therefore, I'm not afraid to say no.

#5: I have a lot of good friends in-game. My list spans all ages, and I weed out the bad ones as they come up. But it's true that the best ones are made when you share a common cause or work together.

-veebz

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
Rottenheart, you have pretty much summed up my feeling also. For your first problem, you can turn off your friend request. it saves you a lot of time and effort by doing that.

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
Turn off your friending feature. I only have like 30 something friends. W101 is to PvP and quest, or at least in my opinion, and not really to chat all day and make online drama. When people ask for help, sometimes I don't even know them, they simply add me. Arghh!

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
A bit sad that the game has come to this really.

When I joined it was pretty safe to add almost anyone - maybe because back then there were more kids and they were just out to have a good time with the game. It seemed that as more mixed age groups joined and Celestia came out attitudes changed, the game became more of a challenge, people became more competitive and there became a divide.

Now that all my original friends have moved on I find it easier to just not friend anyone. I will help random people now and then while I am questing but even that has had mixed results. I have always preferred to solo so that hasn't changed, I did like to help others a lot which I miss and for major fights I do have a few family members still playing and I have another account wizard I can sign on. My time playing has been reduced to less then 1/2 the time I used to. In the end it does make the great Spiral a tad more lonely for me and I wish we could all just get along.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I posted this not as a complaint or an issue, but to express my thoughts hoping that others would read this and modify their behaviour.

This game is targeted to include young kids, many of whom don't know any better unless told.

One possible shortcoming of the game is it doesn't provide behavioural guidance for young kids from within the game. A couple introductory quests aimed at covering social basics might go a long way to reducing behavioural issues. I realize more experienced players may find it insulting, but "oh well". I will try to think of a couple "non-insulting" social oriented fun quests and post them on the Dorm - Game Suggestions forum.