Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Need "deathly" advice

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 24, 2012
I decided this morning to start a Death wizard. I haven't had anything to do with that school. I see that the spells that Malorn will give me are few (compared to Fire, for instance). I would like to know, from you experienced Necromancers, where you pick up other spells and why they work for you. I picked up a fire cat already but I don't really see anything else that will give me any great power. Tell me why you chose the spells you chose. Tell what kind of wand you carry and why. I always read on this board that Death wizards are powerful so tell me how. Thanks in advance.

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
You pick up spells from a Death school. As any other school. Located in Nightside. They work for my Death wizard because gaining my health back while attacking at almost dead, gives me a great advantage. Now I'll leave the rest to the experienced Death wizards

-Gtafreak101

Survivor
Apr 15, 2011
quilteddawg63 wrote:
I decided this morning to start a Death wizard. I haven't had anything to do with that school. I see that the spells that Malorn will give me are few (compared to Fire, for instance). I would like to know, from you experienced Necromancers, where you pick up other spells and why they work for you. I picked up a fire cat already but I don't really see anything else that will give me any great power. Tell me why you chose the spells you chose. Tell what kind of wand you carry and why. I always read on this board that Death wizards are powerful so tell me how. Thanks in advance.

1. After you finish Wizard City, Nightside is unlocked and Dworgyn (Malistaire's assistant) will teach you spells from then on.

2. Buff. One word. Buff. Although Death seems weak, once you learn Deathblade and Death Trap you get much more powerful. A buffed Scarecrow can take out every enemy in a one hit K.O. and heal you to full.

Laura Darkriver, awesome Death wizard

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
My death wizard was the easiest to solo with and the second wizard I took though the game. The spells you get in Ravenwood continue with your real teacher under the falls in the Commons. Your all over spell - Scare Crow is at level 48, until then you one hit is though the game. All schools get about the same amount of spells. To make all schools come out even in fight power you enhance the spells given to them and pick gear that works best for your fight style. Any wand but a death one works fine, you will learn to work your blades and traps to get more damage done.

When my husband decided to play I didn't have to think which school his first wizard would be because Death is an easy play wizard and you can never go wrong with the steal life spells you will be getting, starting with Ghoul. I no longer take secondary spells and just get the blades from Niles then train Sun starting at level 50 and Giant.The level 56 gear in Wintertusk also gives a nice extra blade. In the end he has no interest in any other school and continues to use his level 74 Death wizard to help my lower level wizards. I have honed his gear and set up his deck so he never is defeated in battles accept once in Mirror Lake.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
quilteddawg63 wrote:

Hey there, and welcome to the Death school!

Malorn only gives you your spells up to Vampire... As you continue to quest and level up, you'll eventually unlock Nightside, where Dworgyn hangs out; he'll teach you everything else you need to know. ;)

People have said this a thousand times before, but it always bears repeating: Death has its own strengths and weaknesses, and they're different from those of every other school. We rely heavily on traps and buffs, though they aren't as needed at the upper levels~ make Feint and Deathblade your best friends, and save your points for the Astral spells... It works like a charm for me. ;)

If it makes you feel better, my mob-deck in Zafaria is only 4 cards. :)

My gear:

Hangman's Hood/Cape/Boots (Waterworks set)
Shango's Deathblade Amulet
Black Spinel of Battle
Highland Shillelagh
Bear's Claw of Death
Shadow, my pet Wraith.

Stats:

Health: 3553
Mana: 410

Advanced:

Damage: +70%
Resistance: +28% universal
Accuracy: +5%
Critical rating: 103 for death, 7 for all others
Block rating: 93 universal
Power pip chance: 93%
Incoming heal boost: +11%

From the Waterfront, in that safari place-y thing,

El Veeb
& Val Deathwhisper, transcendent necromancer

Survivor
Aug 06, 2012
Necromancers own your face, just play the class and soon enough you won't look at another class again. Can put out significant damage and keep yourself topped off on health while the other classes struggle to keep up with your damage/healing. All sorts spells to amplify our damage/lifedrain spells. I really can't see my necromancer being beat by any class in PvP unless i get some really bad luck on my card(s) sequence.

Defender
May 24, 2012
Thank you guys. I knew I'd get good advice from some experts. I forgot all about Dworgyn so I'll calm down from here. It sounds like I just have to learn a different way to fight is all. That's the point right?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
quilteddawg63 wrote:
Thank you guys. I knew I'd get good advice from some experts. I forgot all about Dworgyn so I'll calm down from here. It sounds like I just have to learn a different way to fight is all. That's the point right?

Exactly. Each school has it's own uniqueness, and takes a little bit of playing to get the hang of each one.

There are some schools I like better than others. But, that's because of my personality and the way I like to play. Sometimes a school grows on me, and I end up liking it better as my wizard levels up.

Just last night, vonawesome's Death wizard and my Death wizard had some fun with Malistaire (we like taunting him). Death is a great school to have, and a lot of fun playing with.

Val ShadowBlade, Legendary Necromancer (and twin to vonawesome's Val)

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
With my wraith equipped, at level 60, I just managed to have 96% death spell accuracy. Throw on the star school aura that adds 15% accuracy and you never miss. I also managed to get 101% power pip chance.

Now that I have a sidhe staff..... well, I am able to consider other equips and no longer have to use that star school aura. I always get power pips and I never fizzle.

I recommend using a different school's wand, mostly to remove weakness and tower shields, while preserving your own death blades and traps.

When you get to celestia; there is a hidden npc named the mutate master. The sun school spells he sells can convert a specific spell from one element to another. For instance Mutate minotaur changes the myth school minotaur to a death school minotaur. The power of the spell is increased, the pip cost, and accuracy of the spell remains the same.

The nice thing about using a death minotaur is that it hits harder than wraith and the minotaur's first hit knocks off a tower shield or a death shield allowing the spell's second hit to land at full power. (extremely useful against ice enemies) This way you don't need to waste a turn using a wand blast to remove a tower shield. You also are allowed to use power pips to cast death minotaur.

Disadvantages: You can't use the mutate minotaur spell without learning the myth school up to minotaur. You have to have the mutate card and the regular minotaur card in your hand, to cast death minotaur. Because you are enchanting the regular minotaur with a sun school mutate spell, you cannot use another sun school spell increase the power or accuracy. Traps and prisms do not work well with death minotaur, the first hit always triggers the trap or prism so the second stronger hit does not benefit. If you use death minotaur you pretty much restrict yourself to using blades and auras to buff.

I felt learning the myth school as a secondary was worth doing just to learn death minotaur. You could use poison to remove shields instead, but that wastes turns. Dear knight seems superior, and has the same cost, but you would have to have amazing luck to get it from the pack, or just to gather the ingredients to craft it. (also you get death minotaur much earlier if you don't get deer knight from a pack.)