Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Few Questions From A Death Newb

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 22, 2012
:D Hello.

I'm not new to MMO's; just this one.

So I have a few questions to ask.

How many levels are in this game (I"m thinking 80). Regardless of the level, does KingsIsle have any intention to add additional content to the game?

What does someone mean when the say "shields and blades" (are they referring to buffs and debuffs)?

What do the following Death Wizard spells do:

Curse
Death Prism
Dream Shield
Deathblade
Feint
Infection
Pacify
Death Tap

Which spells are buffs. Which are debuffs. I'm trying to figure out in what situations certain buffs and debuffs should be used, and in fact what my buffs actually are.

What is the advantage of having a larger deck?

How do you reshuffle a deck (does "passing" reshuffle" the deck)?

What is the best way to determine what spells to include (and not include) in your deck?

What does it mean when it says that a wand gives a certain amount of cards?

Is there a way to improve pip percentage in this game? If so, what do I need to do in order to achieve that?

What is the best secondary school for a Death Wizard (I've seen a number of folks say life up to Saytre, but I'm just checking)?

Well all for now.

Thank you in advance for your response to this post.

David DragonDreamer

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
Sheepdip01 wrote:
:D Hello.

I'm not new to MMO's; just this one.

So I have a few questions to ask.

How many levels are in this game (I"m thinking 80). Regardless of the level, does KingsIsle have any intention to add additional content to the game?

What does someone mean when the say "shields and blades" (are they referring to buffs and debuffs)?

What do the following Death Wizard spells do:

Curse
Death Prism
Dream Shield
Deathblade
Feint
Infection
Pacify
Death Tap

Which spells are buffs. Which are debuffs. I'm trying to figure out in what situations certain buffs and debuffs should be used, and in fact what my buffs actually are.

What is the advantage of having a larger deck?

How do you reshuffle a deck (does "passing" reshuffle" the deck)?

What is the best way to determine what spells to include (and not include) in your deck?

What does it mean when it says that a wand gives a certain amount of cards?

Is there a way to improve pip percentage in this game? If so, what do I need to do in order to achieve that?

What is the best secondary school for a Death Wizard (I've seen a number of folks say life up to Saytre, but I'm just checking)?

Well all for now.

Thank you in advance for your response to this post.

David DragonDreamer

Welcome, welcome! I hope you have a great time exploring the game :D

Now, on with your questions:
There are currently 80 levels since the newest world, released couple of months ago (I think!) called Avalon. As for your question on whether or not KI will release a new world, I believe they will, eventually!

Shields and blades: Yes you are right :)

Curse- It's a trap that you place on the enemy. Your next attack will trigger the trap and add 20% power to your spell (That's what most of the traps are for)
Death Prism- When your facing death enemies you will quickly realize they can resist your death attacks. A death prism converts your death attack to life (The prism exist in every school except Balance)
Dream Shield- Perhaps you mean Death Shield. It's a shield as the name implies that you use on yourself. If the enemy attacks you with a death spell it will protect you and absorb 80% of the power.
Deathblade- +40% power (same as curse but it only works with Death spells)
Feint- +70% power on your enemy (see above) but it traps you too giving you a +30% trap. The next time your enemy attacks it will trigger the trap and make their spell more powerfull.
Infection- If you put this on your enemy next time he'll try to heal he'll receive 50% less health than the spell usually gives.
Pacify- Reduce threat on target. To be honest I never use it I have no idea what it is used for :D
Death Trap- As I said before it's a trap. +30% power to your death spell.

In my opinion having a larger deck will make things more difficult. After some time you'll find that you don't use most of the spells and you keep discarding. A smaller deck ensures a quicker battle.

Passing just save up pips so you can use spells that need more pips (you can see the pips that a spell needs on the top left of the card) The only way to reshuffle is get the reshuffle card. You can find in the hidden shop in Colossus Boulevard.

What spells to include huh? Well, I can't tell you, everyone has different strategy. You'll realize what you need as you play the game.

About the wand, it does what it says. If it says 5 cards then it'll give you an addition of 5 cards (not your spells)

Your pip percentage will improve as you gain levels. Your outfit (gear) can help you with this too.

As for a secondary school I'd say Life up to satyr. Satyr is really important especially in higher levels. Then you can spend your training points on Astral schools (in Celestia) or Balance.

Wow, that was a long post :D I hope I helped you even a little bit!

Have fun exploring the Spiral. I'm sure you'll have a great time training your wizards!

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
Check the Player's guide at this website, just click the help & support badge

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
A shield is a charm that will intercept the next spell of a matching element and reduce the damage that the creature or player who has a shield receives. The shield is consumed in this process.
If an enemy has a storm shield floating around it, the storm shield will intercept the next storm spell you cast and reduce its damage by a certain percentage. A storm shield only effects storm spells. If you have a storm shield around you, then you have that benefit. There are universal shields which reduce damage from any element, these charms will be grey and have a spiral icon on them.

There exist negative shields called traps. Traps also float around the creature they enchant, but these shields have jagged edges and magnify the damage the enchanted creature receives rather than reduce that damage.

Blades are charms which are a buff to the next spell cast, again the blade must match the spell cast, and again is consumed when it is triggered. If you have a storm blade floating around your head, the next successful storm spell you cast will consume that blade and your storm spell will deal greater damage according to the blade's percentage. (note balance blades are universal and trigger on all damage spells you cast and boost all of those spells)

There exist negative blades, these have jagged edges and decrease the damage of the next spell the enchanted creature would cast. All negative blades are universal and apply a penalty to any damage spell cast by the afflicted creature or player.

Curse is a universal trap that you may cast on an opponent increasing the damage that opponent takes from the next damage spell to hit it. Curse is universal and any damage spell that hits the afflicted monster will trigger the damage magnification.

Death prism converts death damage to life damage. Death creatures are resistant to death damage, but take boosted damage from life. You would cast a death prism on a death enemy, and eventually cast a death spell on that enemy. The death spell would trigger the prism and convert the damage to life, consuming the blade in the process.

If you want to use death traps with death prisms, always put a prism on the monster before you put the trap on them.

Dream shield places a life shield and a myth shield on the target. Each shield reduces incoming damage from the matching element, once.

Feint is a trap spell that places a 70% universal damage magnification on the target, and a 30% universal damage magnification on the caster. This spell is double edged. Once the traps are set they are independent of each other.

Infection is a negative charm that reduces the amount of life the afflicted creature receives from the next heal spell coast upon it.

Pacify reduces the likely hood that creatures will attack the target. It does not help you if you are the only person on your team. It does not help at all in pvp. It does nothing if the person you cast it on keeps attacking every turn. ( it is a rather useless spell)

Death trap magnifies the damage of the next death spell to hit the creature or player the death trap is attached to.

Having a larger deck allows you to hold a greater variety of spells. However the greater number of different spells you put in a deck the less likely you are to find any particular spell.

For example: if you deck is sixty slots large and you put five copies of each spell you know in the deck.... finding the spell you want to cast during a given situation would be difficult. If you take the same deck and put five damage spells and five matching blade spells then your hand is likely to contain a damage spell and a blade spell at any given time.

higher level decks often allow you have more copies of single spells in them. a low level deck may allow three copies of ghoul while a higher level deck may allow you to have five copies. this allows you to cast ghoul more often, and you are more likely to find a ghoul card during a battle.

You are not required to fill all of your decks slots, however, problems can arise. If you have no cards in hand, and have no cards in your deck, you automatically lose a fight. So you must have enough cards in your deck to finish the fights in the area.

A good way to find cards you need at the moment is to discard cards you don't need. Each card you discard causes you to draw a card to replace it next turn. You cannot redraw discarded cards, unless you cast the redraw spell the redraw spell shuffles your discard pile, including the redraw card itself, into your deck.

For example: suppose your opening hand has five blades and two shields. you need a damage spell to kill the monster. You know that if you use a blade the next damage spell you cast will probably kill the monster. so You discard your shield cards and discard three blades. You cast one if the blades and hold the last blade in reserve.... next turn you will draw five cards for the cards you discarded and one more card for the blade you cast. Assuming you still have six cards still in your deck.... Out of six cards drawn, hopefully one will be a damage spell. The cards you discarded are gone for the rest of the battle, but hopefully you didn't need them later...

passing simply ends your turn. If you don't have a zero pip spell to cast this is the only way to accumulate the pips needed to cast higher level spells.

when fighting the monsters in an area note how many life points the monsters have. See how many damage spells it will take to defeat each monster. Blades often cost zero pips and buff the next spell, of the same element, you cast. casting a blade then a level 2 spell may allow you to kill a monster more quickly than casting a level two damage spell and a level one damage spell. The more quickly you defeat monsters the less damage you will take...

All spells in the game are represented by cards. The spell deck is your spell book. the cards are the spells you can cast. Your spell deck determines how many spell slots you have and how many of each spell you can cast per battle. (this game has mp and spell slots... so pay attention to both)
Equipment that provide cards are providing a spell and that spells own slot to cast it. If a wand gives five wand blast spell cards, then during a fight you could draw all five wand blasts. These five wand blasts are given their own slots and are not counted when you are deciding which spells to place in your deck.

At higher levels you naturally gain power pip chance. There is also equipment that adds power pip chance. Often athames and rings, though other equipment can add it as well. The equipment is usually balanced so that equipment with high power pip chance suffers from lower damage bonus, lower accuracy bonus, lower or no hp bonus.. when compared to equipment without additional powerpip chance.

My necromancer currently has 105% power pip chance and +22% death accuracy... Meaning he will always get a power pip every turn, and none of his death spells can miss.... unless he has an accuracy debuff on him. To do this I had to pass up equipment with higher critical hit rate, and higher death damage.