Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open Chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 17, 2008
So, I'm sure your sick of being asked about open chat now. I know that whether or not you can have it depends on the date of birth you used when creating your account, and if you have a credit card purchase. However, my question is if the date of birth carries over. Like, now, I am 18, almost 19. So, doesn't that mean my date of birth would reflect the fact that I am 18? Or does it stay fixed thinking you are still the age you were when you made the account? Please let me know! All of my friends have open chat, and it is akward to always remind them about my filter chat.

Thanks!
Iridian Blueblood
Archmage Necromancer

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Siren888 wrote:
So, I'm sure your sick of being asked about open chat now. I know that whether or not you can have it depends on the date of birth you used when creating your account, and if you have a credit card purchase. However, my question is if the date of birth carries over. Like, now, I am 18, almost 19. So, doesn't that mean my date of birth would reflect the fact that I am 18? Or does it stay fixed thinking you are still the age you were when you made the account? Please let me know! All of my friends have open chat, and it is awkward to always remind them about my filter chat.

Thanks!
Iridian Blueblood
Archmage Necromancer

Altho the Professor can answer this better - I have seen posts where people have turned 18 and have not been able to change the chat due to it not recognizing you are now of age to have open chat.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Siren888 wrote:
So, I'm sure your sick of being asked about open chat now. I know that whether or not you can have it depends on the date of birth you used when creating your account, and if you have a credit card purchase. However, my question is if the date of birth carries over. Like, now, I am 18, almost 19. So, doesn't that mean my date of birth would reflect the fact that I am 18? Or does it stay fixed thinking you are still the age you were when you made the account? Please let me know! All of my friends have open chat, and it is akward to always remind them about my filter chat.

Thanks!
Iridian Blueblood
Archmage Necromancer

I've heard (and don't quote me on this, since I don't work for KI) that birthdates don't change; therefore, if you were 16 when you set up the account, you'll always be 16 in-game and unable to get open chat without parental permission.

(I think it has to do with American child-protection laws~ I'm not American, so I can't confirm that, but I've seen it posted in the forums).

Open chat requirements:

1) a valid credit card on file, and
2) an account that was set up with a minimum age of 18 years.

As long as you were 18 when you made the account, you have nothing to worry about. If you were younger, you may run into problems... so glad I'm in my 20s!

Good luck, and hope this helps!

El Veeb
the Archmage of Awesome ;)