Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

More interaction with secondary school

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 12, 2009
Hi all,

I have a level 29 Myth wizard who's secondrary school is storm. I think it's very cool that we can have the whole secondary school thing :D. But what i think would be a fun improvement to the game is to add more interaction with the secondary schools. For example, instead of like just going there and spending your training points on it, maybe the professor of your secondary school could give you a quest every now and then, like your main school. I have thought about this and i thought it would be cool, so anyone please post if you agree, or don't or whatever! Thanks :D!

-Jared Shadowcaster
Adept Conjurer

Survivor
Mar 12, 2009
Squire
Dec 02, 2008
The fundamental problem with this is that if you have a coherent notion of a secondary school, then you're doing it wrong. By the time you spend all 17 training points, you should have spent them in several different schools, not all in one.

Defender
Sep 15, 2008
Quizzical wrote:
The fundamental problem with this is that if you have a coherent notion of a secondary school, then you're doing it wrong. By the time you spend all 17 training points, you should have spent them in several different schools, not all in one.

no that how can you get cards like Helephant if fire is your secondary school?

ya bad thing to say Quizzical

Explorer
Dec 12, 2008
Yes by the time you've spent all your training points you will have moved into a third school by then. I'm a 45 myth storm moving towards a new school already so i agree with Quizzical's comment. And while it'd add more to the game, currently the quests are set in place that if you had more it'd offset the process of leveling up since you go through them in an order. in a sense you could end up at some point just defeating creatures to get to the next level for the new quest set.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
driftblim275 wrote:
Quizzical wrote:

If you spend training points to get helephant, you just wasted an awful lot of them. If you're not a fire wizard, you can't get fireblade, so helephant won't do that much damage for you, anyway. Take into account that it won't be able to take advantage of power pips and using helephant instead of the top damage spell of your own school means that you're using more pips to do less damage than if you just used your own school.

Defender
Sep 15, 2008
Quizzical wrote:
driftblim275 wrote:
Quizzical wrote:

If you spend training points to get helephant, you just wasted an awful lot of them. If you're not a fire wizard, you can't get fireblade, so helephant won't do that much damage for you, anyway. Take into account that it won't be able to take advantage of power pips and using helephant instead of the top damage spell of your own school means that you're using more pips to do less damage than if you just used your own school.

still say your life and you can't deal much damage, then if you combine it with storm you can deal major damage and heal yourself i got you right back

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
driftblim275 wrote:
still say your life and you can't deal much damage, then if you combine it with storm you can deal major damage and heal yourself i got you right back

Fine then, suppose that you're a life wizard and put as many points into storm as possible. It sounds like you haven't done the computations, so I'll lay it out for you. If you deal damage with life:

Centaur+lifeblade+life trap = 937-1082 damage
Stormzilla+storm trap = 812-912 damage

What about stormblade, you might ask? You don't get it because you're not a storm wizard. Centaur thus does more damage for you than stormzilla, the top storm damage spell that you get. The damage gap is probably larger than that listed above, as you'll likely have gear that boosts life damage but not storm damage.

Centaur also uses fewer pips than stormzilla because it can take advantage of power pips. At level 50, you've got a 40% base chance of getting a power pip, not counting boost from gear. Add the best life gear in the game and that comes to 76% power pip chance total. But let's suppose that you don't have that gear, so you only have a 60% power pip chance. In that case, you average getting 1.6 pips per turn (with power pips counted double), so it takes you 6/1.6 = 3.75 turns to get enough pips for centaur. It takes you 5 turns to get enough pips for stormzilla.

So if you use life for damage, you do some amount of damage. If you use storm instead, you use more pips (or rather, more turns worth of pips) to do less damage. Furthermore, this uses up training points that could have been productively used elsewhere.

If expected damage per turn is the criterion, then it comes to about 269 damage per turn from centaur or 172 damage per turn from stormzilla, even ignoring the gear bonuses that boost your life damage but not your storm damage. If we tack on a bit of extra damage from wanding while you're saving up pips, then with a 100 damage wand, it comes to 289 damage per turn from centaur or 232 damage per turn from stormzilla. That's still a huge damage for centaur if you're a life wizard. Why do you want to waste all those training points on storm, again?

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
Quizzical wrote:
driftblim275 wrote:

Fine then, suppose that you're a life wizard and put as many points into storm as possible. It sounds like you haven't done the computations, so I'll lay it out for you. If you deal damage with life:

Centaur+lifeblade+life trap = 937-1082 damage
Stormzilla+storm trap = 812-912 damage

What about stormblade, you might ask? You don't get it because you're not a storm wizard. Centaur thus does more damage for you than stormzilla, the top storm damage spell that you get. The damage gap is probably larger than that listed above, as you'll likely have gear that boosts life damage but not storm damage.

Centaur also uses fewer pips than stormzilla because it can take advantage of power pips. At level 50, you've got a 40% base chance of getting a power pip, not counting boost from gear. Add the best life gear in the game and that comes to 76% power pip chance total. But let's suppose that you don't have that gear, so you only have a 60% power pip chance. In that case, you average getting 1.6 pips per turn (with power pips counted double), so it takes you 6/1.6 = 3.75 turns to get enough pips for centaur. It takes you 5 turns to get enough pips for stormzilla.

So if you use life for damage, you do some amount of damage. If you use storm instead, you use more pips (or rather, more turns worth of pips) to do less damage. Furthermore, this uses up training points that could have been productively used elsewhere.

If expected damage per turn is the criterion, then it comes to about 269 damage per turn from centaur or 172 damage per turn from stormzilla, even ignoring the gear bonuses that boost your life damage but not your storm damage. If we tack on a bit of extra damage from wanding while you're saving up pips, then with a 100 damage wand, it comes to 289 damage per turn from centaur or 232 damage per turn from stormzilla. That's still a huge damage for centaur if you're a life wizard. Why do you want to waste all those training points on storm, again?

Quizzical is my hero. I have been trying for ages to get people to understand this. People in Dragonspyre, whom you would think are experienced players, run around casting nukes off their secondary schools left and right. The only time this might, and I emphasize might, be viable is if you were using your secondary school to attack something that has an elemental weakness to the spell. Even then, I haven't done the math so the extra damage you get by casting, say, ice on a fire monster still may not offset the loss of powerpips (though if you're clever and don't have a really high power pip chance, you can save up your regular pips for a secondary school spell). Even then, assuming the math adds up, it is such an isolated situation that I still couldn't see justifying the use of full training points into a secondary school for damage.

It is such a basic principle and I don't understand why people overlook it. In my humble opinion, the training points you receive are best invested in acquiring useful shields/heals from multiple schools. It is certainly not, as Quizzical points out, a viable option for boosting your damage as a life wizard by taking a secondary in storm.

I hope this post will help those who have not figured this out on their own :D

Galen Titanbane
48 Ice Wizard