Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Heals and Criticals: an upcoming problem

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
As our wizards continue to increase in level we are seeing an increase in statistics. This is to be expected and is to be welcomed. However, a problem is quickly approaching the forefront. The ever increasing criticals and the inability for critical heals to be blocked. As we lvl up, we see constantly increasing rates of critical. While on the attack side this is fairly balanced by ever increasing block, heals have no answer(they critical without block) As critical rate approaches the 50% and beyond mark, heals will be criticaling more and more often. Already in max lvl PvP we are treated to the sight of 2+ hour matches(my record is over 6 hours 1v1 with an ice wizard with Avalon crafted gear, he eventually left because it was about 4am by this time) mainly due to an incredible amount of heal boost and very few viable ways to make damage stick. This is without critical, imagine high lvl PvP with wizards criticaling more and more frequently on already massive heals. The ability of criticals to go unchallenged when it comes to healing must be addressed before it becomes an issue.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
there are 5 ways to counter healing so stop whining

Doom & Gloom lowers the heal by 65%
Infection lowers healing by 50%
Life Dispel completely cancel's one incoming life spell
Earthquake removes all boosters of all kind
Charm Steal steals a blade or heal booster

so no critical heals do not need to be blocked as there are already enough ways to counter life

life wizards in fact have the most weaknesses in the game compared to all the other schools having 3 weaknesses
for all the other schools it's

Shields ( place element here)
Dispels (place element here)
and blad stealing spells

so why do we need a 4th weakness if you cant take advantage of what is already there which i don't see why not other then your to lazy to get any of these spells as a TC

so no offense but either learn how to add these spells to your side board or don't pvp

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Sariana1337 wrote:

so no critical heals do not need to be blocked as there are already enough ways to counter life

life wizards in fact have the most weaknesses in the game compared to all the other schools having 3 weaknesses

and blad stealing spells

so why do we need a 4th weakness if you cant take advantage of what is already there which i don't see why not other then your to lazy to get any of these spells as a TC

so no offense but either learn how to add these spells to your side board or don't pvp

You need to calm down and slow down a bit because it seems like in your haste you have made several false assumptions and missed several pertinent points.

1) This is not about the life school- This topic is on healing ability as it relates to criticals in general not just a specific post about the life school. Every school now has access to some for of natural heal so I am not sure where you got the idea that I was specifically targeting the life school.

2) I am not "whining"- What I am doing is pointing out a legitimate concern in the hope that KI takes what I have to say into consideration. The simple fact is that critical rate will continue to increase with each world and the fact that heals can critical without block will soon become an overpowering issue unless addressed.

3) Laziness in TC- I really have no idea what my treasure card choices have to do with the issue at hand.

4)Your heal counters- Two of your heal counters(earthquake and steal charm) have no effect on heals but rather have an effect on wards and charms. Neither earthquake nor steal charm will counter your heal what they will do is remove your efforts to boost said heals via spells. Your other heal counters(entangle and doom and gloom) are situational and easily removed. Finally on your points on infection, you do realize that typical heal boost today runs anywhere from 50-100% which considerably neuters infections and or negates it. Not to mention that a critical heal completely negates infection...period.

5) Life's 4th weakness- Any proposition to limit heal's ability to critical does not just affect the life school, it affects every school with a natural heal and those schools who carry life mastery(a fact you are well aware of judging by your previous comments)

The simple fact is that as we level up critical will continue to increase. Wheras critical attacks can be countered, critical heals cannot. While this is only a budding problem right now, it will continue to escalate unless something is done to address it. Without some limitation on critical heals, making damage stick will soon become nigh impossible

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Sariana1337 wrote:

and blad stealing spells

Here we go again with the ranting. When ever it comes to a school being targeted the other sides just flips out. -.-

I will interpret this post, I may be wrong but this is what I think he was saying.

When he says boosts he means incoming and outgoing heals. I rarely see people using healing blades since they can be removed by spritely and earth.

Also he has a good point there is no way to counter a critical heal in pvp. Infection works though its not great. Due to such high heal boosts I have seen people power through the infection and heal what the card states.

Ex. Pixie heals 400, with boosts its close to 800 or more, with infection its more like 380 or 400. Then if you critical infection is nothing because you will get 800+. Then if you critical without infection its closer to 1800, which a two pip healing spell should never do. (Exclude storms healing spell since it is a chance one)

Then just think what a critical satyr could do. Dispels are so flawed. They really only work going first, since if you are second you can only throw dispels on and hope the pet doesn't cast a heal. Even if you go first the pet could still cast sprite right after you put the dispel on.

So in the end Doom is the only viable option, though a critical satyr might be able to go through the doom, it depends on the doom since the tc version does 75%.

To the original poster, I wouldn't worry too much since the only people who can do this would be life. Though most of the gear isn't worth switching to for life so for now we won't have to worry about it. I do hope something is done about it since this could become a major problem.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Sariana1337 wrote:

and blad stealing spells

First off, a positive charm is a positive charm. Wheather it boosts accuracy damage healing armor piercing or whatever, it is still a positive charm.

I can tell you are a life wizard. So let me exaplain to you some things from different schools prospectives. If you have a critical heal with an infection on, then that infection is neutralized. Now so is the critical, but at that point you have wasted a turn. Add on cosmic kris and stellar signet combo, and like my life sword of kings and waterworks hat ad robe boost, alltogether a 65 outgoing boost and a 50 incomming. That is turning a satyr into a 2000 heal without any critical. with critical, which eventually could do what? 100% critical on life? Think about it, without any healing buffs or debuffs from spells, thats a 4000 heal satyr every single time. Rebirth, 3200 for you, and an absorb, plus it probably heals a good 50-100% of your teammates' health and absorb for them also.

So basicly your saying that doesnt occur as the least bit overpowered to you? A fairy does 2000 health for crying out loud! An unresisted, unbuffed colossal leviathan does around 2500 damage for me. And the fairy can heal 80% of it back with 1/4 of the pips. Math is a required subject, and for a reason.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Thank You to both Jordanator and Snowy, both of whom expressed some of my thoughts very effectively in their own ways. However, this is not just about the life school. Currently on my lvl 80 storm I have sligthly more than 100% heal boost simply using the Courtly Dirk, Stellar Signet and Maudolin of the Evermore. For me healing current is now 200+, 800+ or 2000+ heal everytime(The same thing happens for balance with availing hands, death with sacrifice etc) Combine that with my critical rate of 42%(not to mention that most of the time I try to heal I tend to attach veangeance) and we can see that very soon critical heals will become an overpowering issue for all schools if critical continues to rise at it's current rate without viable counters to critical heals.

Defender
Dec 16, 2009
sorry if i came off as angry granted i do get frustrated you are right that i should calm down some and yes you are right that i am a life wizard and when i saw critical healing i just know it will effect us as well and i am against that 100% but instead here is what i propose as a possibility instead of going with what i have been say all along which is to completely remove healing spells from the damage schools i will take a step back and say let them keep there healing spells but take away there ability to boost said healing spells and only allow them the basic amount from the heal

so say a storm wizard has trained in life school up to satyr because they are storm not life that spell can not critical but can be boosted only if a life wizard where to boost it by using brilliant light or guiding light or any other means that KI has put in to the game and the other schools who are not life should not be allowed to use bonus healing on there gear instead merge out going and incoming healing in to one stat that goes on life gear only and only life wizards will be able to critical heals as it is what we specialized in is it not

on top of that sanctuary should only effect life spells not the other schools
as the other schools are primarily damage dealers not healers so there heals should souly be for support reasons only how ever allow the other schools the ability to heal other players only if they trained in the life school with sprite and satyr

now for the bonus healing problem inc and out going should be merged in to one stat to be just what it is bonus healing and should only be available to life wizards not the other schools this will allow the other schools to get there support heal for questing and pvp such as satyr and pixie

only life wizards should be able to get the life critical stat
by removing the life critical stat from all schools but life the critical healing problem will be fixed

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Sariana1337 wrote:
sorry if i came off as angry granted i do get frustrated you are right that i should calm down some and yes you are right that i am a life wizard and when i saw critical healing i just know it will effect us as well and i am against that 100% but instead here is what i propose as a possibility instead of going with what i have been say all along which is to completely remove healing spells from the damage schools i will take a step back and say let them keep there healing spells but take away there ability to boost said healing spells and only allow them the basic amount from the heal

so say a storm wizard has trained in life school up to satyr because they are storm not life that spell can not critical but can be boosted only if a life wizard where to boost it by using brilliant light or guiding light or any other means that KI has put in to the game and the other schools who are not life should not be allowed to use bonus healing on there gear instead merge out going and incoming healing in to one stat that goes on life gear only and only life wizards will be able to critical heals as it is what we specialized in is it not

on top of that sanctuary should only effect life spells not the other schools
as the other schools are primarily damage dealers not healers so there heals should souly be for support reasons only how ever allow the other schools the ability to heal other players only if they trained in the life school with sprite and satyr

now for the bonus healing problem inc and out going should be merged in to one stat to be just what it is bonus healing and should only be available to life wizards not the other schools this will allow the other schools to get there support heal for questing and pvp such as satyr and pixie

only life wizards should be able to get the life critical stat
by removing the life critical stat from all schools but life the critical healing problem will be fixed

I am afraid to say but I disagree with you completely. All schools should have access to healing boost and the ability to critical their heals. It is just the lvl those boosts are set at per school that needs to be different. I would support giving the life scholl gear that gives them more heal boost compared to the other schools much as how storm has more attack boost. However, schools must have access to all the stats. Your suggestion to have only the life school critical on their heals and recieve heal boost is blatantly biased. Should the life school's attacks be unable to critical and life school recieve no attack boost? Of course not, and in much the same ways all schools must have access to heal boost and the ability to critical heal spells. The same thing applies to Sanctuary, just as other school bubbles improve all attacks regardless of side, so too should sanctuary treat heals.What does need to be addressed is the fact that heals can critical w/o consequence and will do so more often as our wizards critical rate continues to improve.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I have a life wizard as my main on both accounts. I am sorry, but I disagree with you on this. I also have a balance wiz that occasionaly crits on a heal....

I would certainly NOT want to see this changed. Even if another school can crit on a heal, they can be countered. So PLEASE leave this alone.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
I have a life wizard as my main on both accounts. I am sorry, but I disagree with you on this. I also have a balance wiz that occasionaly crits on a heal....

I would certainly NOT want to see this changed. Even if another school can crit on a heal, they can be countered. So PLEASE leave this alone.

You misunderstood the post, I am not advocating a removal of critical heals. I still want heals to have the ability to critical. What I am advocating is some kind of limiting mechanism as our critical rating reaches the 50%+ level. Currently critical heals are a minor problem but as we lvl up nd our critical continues to rise, the ability of heals to critical with no potential to be blocked will soon become overpowering.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
FatesKin wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

You misunderstood the post, I am not advocating a removal of critical heals. I still want heals to have the ability to critical. What I am advocating is some kind of limiting mechanism as our critical rating reaches the 50%+ level. Currently critical heals are a minor problem but as we lvl up nd our critical continues to rise, the ability of heals to critical with no potential to be blocked will soon become overpowering.

No, I did not misunderstand your post. KI has done very well in the way the percentages work. As we level higher, our health increases and so do the attacks from mobs and bosses. There are spells that can and do counter Heals including reducing critical heals.

Sariana1337 wrote:

So leave this alone. You will find that there are many players that do not want their criticals or blocks messed with. The main thing is to learn how to use a good STRATEGY. If you change how it works for heals, it is also going to change on ATTACKS and it will have to be done to ALL SCHOOLS.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Think of a critical as an extremely good and precise hit. It would effectively double the damage done, because it is in a very vulnerable and vital place. Now, think of a shield, that if moved in time, can block that critical strike, saving you.

This is a critical and a critical block.

Now, think when you are being healed, would you pull up your shield and say, no thank you, I will just take a normal heal instead?

No matter what, you can never heal for more health that what your max health is.

You can max hit damage at 1 million. Do the math, as you have stated.

Can you effectively heal if you are dead? Nope, sure cant.

So, the real problem is, you need to better your strategy in PvP, if this is a PvP problem, which it obviously is and needs to be moved to the PvP section as it is obviously not an Idea that needs to be in the Dorms.

Thank you for your thoughts, but I firmly disagree with all of your assumptions.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
FatesKin wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

No, I did not misunderstand your post. KI has done very well in the way the percentages work. As we level higher, our health increases and so do the attacks from mobs and bosses. There are spells that can and do counter Heals including reducing critical heals.

Sariana1337 wrote:

So leave this alone. You will find that there are many players that do not want their criticals or blocks messed with. The main thing is to learn how to use a good STRATEGY. If you change how it works for heals, it is also going to change on ATTACKS and it will have to be done to ALL SCHOOLS.

Unless attack dynamics severely change, there is almost no way mob monsters are going to be able to keep up with heals criticaling at a 50%+ rate. Also, I shudder to think what kinds of mobs KI would come up with to counter said heal potential. Perhaps mobs with a full rack of pips? I dont wish to see that and I doubt very many people do. As to the interaction of criticals and attacks, that is precisely the problem. Criticals and attacks are inherently different. Attacks interact with the block rating(ie can be blocked) but heals do not. Limiting the ability of critical heals in some way need not have any effect on the way critical attacks work. Also good to see you here golden :)
-Eric Stormbringer

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Think of a critical as an extremely good and precise hit. It would effectively double the damage done, because it is in a very vulnerable and vital place. Now, think of a shield, that if moved in time, can block that critical strike, saving you.

Now, think when you are being healed, would you pull up your shield and say, no thank you, I will just take a normal heal instead?

No matter what, you can never heal for more health that what your max health is.

So, the real problem is, you need to better your strategy in PvP, if this is a PvP problem, which it obviously is and needs to be moved to the PvP section as it is obviously not an Idea that needs to be in the Dorms.

Thank you for your thoughts, but I firmly disagree with all of your assumptions.

I understand the concept of critical heals and why it is a net benefit.
However, at 50%+ critical rate some limit needs to be implemented. I am not sure what your point on max damage is. Also, I am fairly new to this forums so forgive me if this is in an incorrect section, however I put this in the ideas section since the problem with criticals and heals is potentially in the future, not in the current game which leads me into wondering why you think that this post is based on failures in PvP.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
darthjt wrote:

Really you are saying the answer to our problems is to one hit someone. -.- I would love to get some verification on how much you pvp because all you state is many many theories. I rarely get one hit KO in pvp because I use shields, weaknesses, and once in a while the myth dispel too keep my shields. (Last time that happened was back when I was a private against another death wizard who was going first) To get to the point of being able to one hit some one you will need blades, probably infallible, feints, traps, etc.
One hitting someone can work though the chances are low and they become even lower when you are fighting someone going second. Also even though every school can one hit KO Ice, Life, Death, and Balance all require a few more blades before being able to one hit someone. In the time of building you can get hit by earthquake which ruins the KO or you are killed before getting the KO set up.

Next time you are going to state a solution please make it more viable than this because only low ranks get killed this way.