Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Legendary sorcerers

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 16, 2010
Hey there, wizards! I always wanted to become the strongest Balance wizard, and i don't know if i am a good wizard or no. Well, i have all my life spells, and i am trying to get feint. I have gobbler and strong (or tough. It's a sun spell anyway...) too. I am a lvl 62 Balance wizard, with my judgement pet which is adult, and i have my Ra spell and all the balance spells i could learn. So let's get to the REAL questions now. 1. Should i get my judgement pet to epic? 2. Is the gobbler spell good for my balance wizard? I mean, it saved my life many times because of the 5,000 health. 3. Should i train sun until i get Gargantuan? 4. Should i train death until i get wraith, or just until i get feint? That's the questions i would like to ask. Oh, and another one. Why is my sandstorm doing more damage than my power nova? Ok. I finished asking questions. I hope someone will answer me. See you in the game!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
alexandrufl wrote:
Hey there, wizards! I always wanted to become the strongest Balance wizard, and i don't know if i am a good wizard or no. Well, i have all my life spells, and i am trying to get feint. I have gobbler and strong (or tough. It's a sun spell anyway...) too. I am a lvl 62 Balance wizard, with my judgement pet which is adult, and i have my Ra spell and all the balance spells i could learn. So let's get to the REAL questions now. 1. Should i get my judgement pet to epic? 2. Is the gobbler spell good for my balance wizard? I mean, it saved my life many times because of the 5,000 health. 3. Should i train sun until i get Gargantuan? 4. Should i train death until i get wraith, or just until i get feint? That's the questions i would like to ask. Oh, and another one. Why is my sandstorm doing more damage than my power nova? Ok. I finished asking questions. I hope someone will answer me. See you in the game!

Hey there~ it's hard to give good advice without knowing what gear you have on, or worlds you have access to. But, since I am an archmage Balance wizard, I'll try and help you out as best I can. ;)

First of all, lose the polymorphs (including your gobbler)~ yes, they may give you higher health or damage for a few rounds, but you lose ALL of your resist and crit block. At the higher levels, it's really not worth the risk.

Second, train Sun spells up to Colossal (if you have access to Zafaria)~ if you're still in Celestia, go for Gargantuan. Couldn't tell you why Sandstorm does more damage than Power Nova, unless your Sandstorms are enchanted or just happened to get really lucky with criticals.

Third, what talents does your pet Judge have? It might be worth training it to Epic, just in case you get Sprite or something, but it could also be a waste of time. My Judge had May Cast Weakness, Health Gift, Vengeance, and Unbalancer... But my best pet is my starfish, which I bought at a vendor in Celestia~ he gave me Sprite, Spell Proof (universal resist), and Pip o'Plenty, so I use him instead of my school pets.

Fourth, don't bother with a secondary school~ they're useless, once you hit Grandmaster. I had Fire to Helephant, and Death to Wraith... I ended up buying back ALL of my training points at level 80, which cost almost 12K crowns to do... So save yourself the money and buy them back now. Then, train Death to Feint~ works great with Judge for boss fights, but that's it.

(Also worth noting: Since we have school heals, you don't need those Life spells, either~ if you don't have Helping & Availing Hands by now, go and finish Grizzleheim/Wintertusk, ASAP.)

The key to playing Balance well: know your limitations, and learn to rely on spells other than Judgement. Here is my deck setup for mobs (and most bosses):

3 Colossal (Garg, in your case)
3 Power Nova
2 Amplify
2 Balanceblade
1 Availing Hands
1 Reshuffle

Optional: Bladestorm, extra Hands or 'Shuffle.
Sideboard: Amulet Balanceblade, amulet Hex, 4 Super Torment (wands)

This gets the job done quickly and effectively.

-

Since you said you wanted to be "strong", I assume that you want to build an offensive character (rather than a defensive one). If that's the case, your resistance and crit block will be really low, and your boost to incoming heals won't be very much~ the opposite is also true: any gains in resistance or healing require that you give up damage.

Hope this helps, kinda. ;)

El Veeb
the Archmage of Awesomeness

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
3 Colossal (Garg, in your case)
3 Power Nova
2 Amplify
2 Balanceblade
1 Availing Hands
1 Reshuffle

When I use my Balance, this is pretty much what I have in my deck. Ra is good, but the Power Nova not only uses one pip less, it also casts weakness on all the enemies, so this ends up being the better spell (although Ra is cool to watch).

Polymorphs at the higher levels isn't the best bet. When mobs/bosses critical, and they do quite often, you have no protection if you use polymorph.

Only you can decide what's best for your Balance wizard. It's not going to have the strongest stats like some other schools, no matter what you do. The solution is to try to find a good balance that you feel more comfortable with.

I went for a combination of defense and offense. My resist is 28 across the board, but I have pretty good critical block, power pip chance, and healing. My damage boost is at 73%, which is really good for Balance.

Having the right pet helps a lot for a Balance wizard. Spritely is a plus, and if you can get universal resist, even better. My Chimera pet boosted my damage by 8%, but doesn't have spritely. I can live with that, as Availing Hands gives me the heals I need in a game if need be.

Choose your gear carefully. If there ever is a question whether you should use a specific gear or not, KEEP IT in your backpack or bank in case you change your mind. That's what I do for all my wizards. Each one has 3-4 (and in some cases, more) different sets of gear that I can switch out depending on what world, mob, or boss I an up against.