Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help - Balance Sorcerer + secondary

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 31, 2012
Hey! I'm trying to make a good sorcerer build and I can't pick a secondary school. I bought back all my training points and decided I should redo my cards. I thought about death and life but I can't pick. Help? Also, telling me what spells to place in my deck would be a HUGE help.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
You really dont need a main school. Balance and death are the schools that are in this chatagory. They have their own healing spells, but unlike life they do not have a low amount of actual damaging attacks and balance utility spells well.

I suggest finding the best amulets availible and use the talisman of disorder at transcendent-archmage.

However if you are looking at competitive PvP then i suggest the myth school and a myth mastery amulet. I wouldnt train the moon school when you get to celestia. Train the strong family. If you dont know what i am talking about, that does not mean train storm. Pack helping hands and remember to do grizzlehiem and wintertusk. That gets you availing hands which is a great heal for balance.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2012
Hi! I'm not a balance, but I have battled with many Sorcerers. I feel like the best secondary is life. To me, a Balance is nearly unbeatable, with Judgement and no specific shield against it, but if a balance has the ability to heal (not overtime) it is much harder to defeat them.

I've read up on this, and most Sorcerers say to train up to Tower in Ice, Feint in Death, and Satyr in Life. To me, that's sort of wasting a lot of training points. I do, however, understand why some would do this.

I think it just depends on your battle style.

Emmaline Mythblade
Grandmaster Pyromancer

See ya in the Spiral!

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Disreputable wrote:
Hey! I'm trying to make a good sorcerer build and I can't pick a secondary school. I bought back all my training points and decided I should redo my cards. I thought about death and life but I can't pick. Help? Also, telling me what spells to place in my deck would be a HUGE help.

A lot may depend on your level - are you getting power pips more now? Do you crown purchase gear so your pips count for other schools? Like another poster mentioned - what is your play style. Mine is hit and run. I don't support a group so don't need any healing beyond my helping hands and sprite. Death to feint maybe nice, I have an amulet and pet that gives it if I want to give it a try. My Astral Judge hatch gives spritely so I depend on her now and then. I kind of like the Ice to Tower idea and since I don't spend many points I may give that a go.

Personally my Balance wiz is level 42, I plan to be true to my school and only purchase spells that compliment my school given ones. I have not picked up the blade from Niles but at level 50 I will be training the Sun boost spells, you can skip the accuracy ones and just buy the fists.

My deck set up is lean - 3 blades, 2 Hex, 3 sand storms, 2 Judges, 1 Scorpion, 1 bees, 1 minion altho I rarely use him, 1 sprite, 1 helping hands and 1 of each shield. I swap in treasures to fill the blanks or just to use them up. I keep my gear current for my level. It all comes down to the math on what damage to have in your deck - consider the average health of the monsters you are fighting and adjust your spells in your deck accordingly. Nothing is more annoying then having a monster hammer on you wile you wait to hammer back. I run the lean deck on all mob fights and add a few extras for boss ones. I prepare my wizards to be solo fighters, mainly so if no help is available I am not stuck in the game with out being able to advance.

Bonus to not having to have every training point you can grab is I can be selective on what quests for them I take though out the Spiral as they tend to get annoying if you forget something in a dungeon and have to fight it again, such as the stone rose.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2012
brwac wrote:
Disreputable wrote:

A lot may depend on your level - are you getting power pips more now? Do you crown purchase gear so your pips count for other schools? Like another poster mentioned - what is your play style. Mine is hit and run. I don't support a group so don't need any healing beyond my helping hands and sprite. Death to feint maybe nice, I have an amulet and pet that gives it if I want to give it a try. My Astral Judge hatch gives spritely so I depend on her now and then. I kind of like the Ice to Tower idea and since I don't spend many points I may give that a go.

Personally my Balance wiz is level 42, I plan to be true to my school and only purchase spells that compliment my school given ones. I have not picked up the blade from Niles but at level 50 I will be training the Sun boost spells, you can skip the accuracy ones and just buy the fists.

My deck set up is lean - 3 blades, 2 Hex, 3 sand storms, 2 Judges, 1 Scorpion, 1 bees, 1 minion altho I rarely use him, 1 sprite, 1 helping hands and 1 of each shield. I swap in treasures to fill the blanks or just to use them up. I keep my gear current for my level. It all comes down to the math on what damage to have in your deck - consider the average health of the monsters you are fighting and adjust your spells in your deck accordingly. Nothing is more annoying then having a monster hammer on you wile you wait to hammer back. I run the lean deck on all mob fights and add a few extras for boss ones. I prepare my wizards to be solo fighters, mainly so if no help is available I am not stuck in the game with out being able to advance.

Bonus to not having to have every training point you can grab is I can be selective on what quests for them I take though out the Spiral as they tend to get annoying if you forget something in a dungeon and have to fight it again, such as the stone rose.

Thanks Brwac. I got some spells from Niles and the Reshuffle spell. I have ten training points being level thirty one. You say I should buy all death moves up to fient? All ice moves up to ice tower? I recently got a crown shirt that gives me ice tower for free :P Sadly, I have no crown gear...

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Disreputable wrote:
brwac wrote:
Disreputable wrote:

Thanks Brwac. I got some spells from Niles and the Reshuffle spell. I have ten training points being level thirty one. You say I should buy all death moves up to fient? All ice moves up to ice tower? I recently got a crown shirt that gives me ice tower for free :P Sadly, I have no crown gear...

I really haven't done Death to feint, am not sure I want to invest 7 training points in it. I am a training point miser. I would like to try Ice to Tower only because it would be a general shield I can just put out in between waiting for pips maybe. My only problem is, my deck will become consumed with too many excess spells and push my damage ones away.

There is an amulet for Feint and I do have a pet with it so I was going to see if using it will benefit me. I don't like putting a trap on myself, it seems counter productive to help the monster. My other problem with Feint is I tend not to bother if someone else is in duel with me because 9 x out of 10 they will use it up on a wand spell - my luck. Having the tower shield attached to gear maybe all you need to see if you want to bother with it.

I just found out the spells from Niles are free for Balance so I picked them up, am not sure I can waste a pip on them right now though. I splurged and got the three headed spell amulet at the Bazaar and use that now and then for show, it does decent damage too - the blade from Niles would boost it but I don't want to waste pips on it at this level.

Take heart young wizard you don't need crown gear to get though the game - I have gotten many a wizard though Zafaria with just what they can win, buy at the Bazaar or craft - all a gold investment not crowns. Thanks for reminder on Reshuffle am headed there next.

Prior to entering Celestia I will be picking up the Stun Block spell from Diego on Unicorn Way in Wizard City - all my wizards get this and it has come in handy.

I forgot to add that I also have 2 Spectacular Blasts in my deck since I use them on Balance bosses.

Explorer
Jan 16, 2012
Hi fellow Balance wizard,

I'm speaking from experience as a level 72 Balance wizard. Think about what you like to do the most because it won't matter what other schools you select spells from...the important thing is you decide the look and type of spells you enjoy casting...also, you can always buy back your training points later for crowns.

For me, I decided myth and ice. since there are so many find-the Smiths, cats, troggs, etc quests you get lots of extra spell points to use too.

The most important spells youll want to learn though are SUN school. By the time you finish Zafaria, you can get Colossal if you've been working on the Sun spells (they boost your learned spells for damage increase) and for balance, that equates to powerful Sandstorms and Ras for group damage spells...who wouldn't like that idea?

So, it's really up to you what other spell schools you train in, but I think it doesn't matter, as long as you have a way to defeat your enemies if your own Balance spells aren't effective...pick a school that has a strong group damage spell and maybe another powerful damage spell...and get the mastery amulet that goes with it so you can use power pips either way in battle (with your Balance spells or your other school's spells)

Good luck, and happy casting!

Joseph Icebringer
Transcended Sorceror

Ps. I really like ICE because of Blizzard and the added bubble to make it powerful and the tower shield...And I really like MYTH because it has TWO group damage spells you can learn with humongofrog and earthquake and a bubble, Earthquake will come in really handy against other balance wizards too!

I recommend Ice first and then Myth...i've changed my spells several times and these two schools make my questing the best and my friends the happiest when I support them in battle.

*DEATH is totally not worth learning if you are balance

Survivor
Jul 31, 2012
brwac wrote:
Disreputable wrote:
brwac wrote:
Disreputable wrote:

I really haven't done Death to feint, am not sure I want to invest 7 training points in it. I am a training point miser. I would like to try Ice to Tower only because it would be a general shield I can just put out in between waiting for pips maybe. My only problem is, my deck will become consumed with too many excess spells and push my damage ones away.

There is an amulet for Feint and I do have a pet with it so I was going to see if using it will benefit me. I don't like putting a trap on myself, it seems counter productive to help the monster. My other problem with Feint is I tend not to bother if someone else is in duel with me because 9 x out of 10 they will use it up on a wand spell - my luck. Having the tower shield attached to gear maybe all you need to see if you want to bother with it.

I just found out the spells from Niles are free for Balance so I picked them up, am not sure I can waste a pip on them right now though. I splurged and got the three headed spell amulet at the Bazaar and use that now and then for show, it does decent damage too - the blade from Niles would boost it but I don't want to waste pips on it at this level.

Take heart young wizard you don't need crown gear to get though the game - I have gotten many a wizard though Zafaria with just what they can win, buy at the Bazaar or craft - all a gold investment not crowns. Thanks for reminder on Reshuffle am headed there next.

Prior to entering Celestia I will be picking up the Stun Block spell from Diego on Unicorn Way in Wizard City - all my wizards get this and it has come in handy.

I forgot to add that I also have 2 Spectacular Blasts in my deck since I use them on Balance bosses.

I was really tired when I wrote that last message. Now I am level 33 and just got the Judgement spell. It works wonders! I set my deck just like you mentioned you set your own. Now I don't have to wait on useless spells and just get down to business when I battle. My deck is almost a copy except some of it has minor different spells because you are higher level. Now I am having trouble finding a suitable pet. I started out with a Bloodbat until I was about level twenty six but discarded it when it reached adult.
I found it being myth didn't even help me at all. Being just as ignorant, I spent many days at Stormdrain Tower slaughtering Nightshade. I eventually obtained the Midnight Sprite and brought it with me until level thirty. I slammed my head on the desk and shoved the sprite into the dorm room attic. I just redeemed crowns from a W101 card and got an interesting Wildclaw gift. He is myth like my Bloodbat so it would be useless carrying it around for show. Should it matter me carrying a pet from another school? It really frustrates me I can't find a good balance pet. I realize you carry an astral judge but it does not call to me like other pets. I feel getting a Judgement pet would be a little generic.

Explorer
Jan 16, 2012
Disreputable,

If you must have a balance pet, go with Desert Beast...he has school colors and gives the balance blade card. He is found in Hoard of the Hydra packs but you can also hatch for one. Otherwise, hatch for a Judgement, Hydra, or Chimera (or any of their hybrids).

If you like adding Spirit blades, go with Chimera
If you like adding Elemental Blades, go with Hydra

BUT, even though these are balance pets, there are other pets you may like more with the added card they give.

Personally, I prefer a pet that gives a Dragon Blade +30% Damage card, or a pet that gives a Healing spell like Unicorn or Satyr.

Be on the lookout for these pets to hatch with others, as they make a good companion for a balance wizard. There are many others too, but for the card alone, they are pets worth having.

Polar Cat - gives Dragon Blade card
Ianthine Hound - gives Dragon Blade card
Alert Hound - gives Dragon Blade card
Carnation Pixie - gives Dragon Blade card
Defender Pig - gives 1 Dryad card
Samoorai - gives 1 Unicorn card
Onyx Shenlong Dragon - gives 1 Feint card

Survivor
May 09, 2011
Hello there! Balance is a good school and in my opinion blends in with other schools very good. But if you do choose for a secondary school, try acquiring that school,s mastery amulet so it can be more beneficial rather than wasting pips.

I have a balance and chose myth as my secondary school. One of the reply I've seen I agree and it says "it depends on your fighting style".

Do you play PVP? Why I chose myth as secondary school? Okey, when dueling against other wizards, they always tend to buff and put a lot of shields on them, its natural, I let them do it, but in the end, one earthquake spell crushes all of it, I am not after the hit points the earthquake does, but its ability to take away all shields and blades of your opponent, followed it up with judgement spell, then weakness, and a death spell infection. This was my style and eventually reached warlord. We do have our own heal spell so i think life will be less useful.

It all depends on the way you fight and what spells really are beneficial to you. Good luck.

Valkoor Earthhammer
Archmage Sorcerer

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Disreputable wrote:
brwac wrote:
Disreputable wrote:
brwac wrote:
Disreputable wrote:

I was really tired when I wrote that last message. Now I am level 33 and just got the Judgement spell. It works wonders! I set my deck just like you mentioned you set your own. Now I don't have to wait on useless spells and just get down to business when I battle. My deck is almost a copy except some of it has minor different spells because you are higher level. Now I am having trouble finding a suitable pet. I started out with a Bloodbat until I was about level twenty six but discarded it when it reached adult.
I found it being myth didn't even help me at all. Being just as ignorant, I spent many days at Stormdrain Tower slaughtering Nightshade. I eventually obtained the Midnight Sprite and brought it with me until level thirty. I slammed my head on the desk and shoved the sprite into the dorm room attic. I just redeemed crowns from a W101 card and got an interesting Wildclaw gift. He is myth like my Bloodbat so it would be useless carrying it around for show. Should it matter me carrying a pet from another school? It really frustrates me I can't find a good balance pet. I realize you carry an astral judge but it does not call to me like other pets. I feel getting a Judgement pet would be a little generic.

2 Hatches later and my Life Astral Judge has spritely at teen, disappointed my original didn't get it because she had a chance to cast balance blade and she did quite often. First hatch was with Forest Lord that had spritely and second with with Scare Crow that had spritely. I suppose I could do more training to original Judge to see if she gets Spritely by epic. I am not sure what pet would go best with Balance since my main purpose of pet has just been spritely and all the rest is just luck.