Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Utility Spell Unfairness

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 19, 2011
So i myself, am an archmage necromancer. I think that the utility spells in avalon are very unbalanced! 1. Storm got Enfeeble, which removes all blades. 2. Life has guardian spirit, which takes you back to life i: ( really that compared to mass infection? ) 3. Balance has Mana Burn, which deals ?? per pip and removes 3 pips. ( I think that includes power pips?? ) Death - got mass infection which puts a -50% to the next healing spell for all. When would this ever help me? I never use the normal infection and life minion/boss healing is never a bother! Then death also got bad juju which deals a minus 90 charm to the enemy of your choice for 300 damage. That would really only ever be useful while battling a storm/fire boss. I would have really appreciated better utility spells for death.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
nagato418609 wrote:
So i myself, am an archmage necromancer. I think that the utility spells in avalon are very unbalanced! 1. Storm got Enfeeble, which removes all blades. 2. Life has guardian spirit, which takes you back to life i: ( really that compared to mass infection? ) 3. Balance has Mana Burn, which deals ?? per pip and removes 3 pips. ( I think that includes power pips?? ) Death - got mass infection which puts a -50% to the next healing spell for all. When would this ever help me? I never use the normal infection and life minion/boss healing is never a bother! Then death also got bad juju which deals a minus 90 charm to the enemy of your choice for 300 damage. That would really only ever be useful while battling a storm/fire boss. I would have really appreciated better utility spells for death.

Yea death got it bad I am very annoyed because of that. Though you must realize most of the spells were designed for pvp. So what death got is not useful at all in PvE but it's ok... In PvP. Though it really doesn't help too much.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
I agree. I actually just posted the limited usefulness of death's new spells as a reply to you on the deer knight thread.

I think that the infection spells would be really beneficial, if enemies actually healed and did it regularly. But they don't. That even applies to Frank, as it makes it merely another drain. Now if they were to team it with a plague, that would actually be beneficial, but infections are solely for PvP.

Bad juju is just not worth it any way you look at it. Sure it puts a -90% on one enemy, but you can actually use virulent plague for the same pip cost (IIRC) and avoid damage to self and this is an all enemy spell as well.
The damage to self spells really multiply the cost for death, as most necromancers shoot for maximum damage boost. The only one I even carry in my deck is sacrifice, which is a fantastic spell. Even Dark Pact is not in my deck, as the damage is death, so if it comes up after your first draw, it is just taking up space because it will trip your other blades to use it. Couple that with the rather paltry boost it is not worth it.
pods

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
pods1973 wrote:
I agree. I actually just posted the limited usefulness of death's new spells as a reply to you on the deer knight thread.

I think that the infection spells would be really beneficial, if enemies actually healed and did it regularly. But they don't. That even applies to Frank, as it makes it merely another drain. Now if they were to team it with a plague, that would actually be beneficial, but infections are solely for PvP.

Let's face it~ ALL of the "utility" spells were designed for PvP. And they shouldn't be called utility spells, as that would imply they were useful.

I have a death wizard, who's level 65 and heading into Zafaria... I don't use Dark Pact anymore, for the reason you described, and I'm not looking forward to that mass infection; I forget exactly when my necro stopped carrying the card, to begin with, but I do agree that it's useless, in both PvE and PvP~ almost every pet in the Spiral has Spritely now, and will just use that to get rid of it.

(My Balance wizard does that all the time~ after the Death Seraphs in Avalon hit her with Frankie, she just waits for her pet to Sprite off the infection before healing herself at full power. Not that it matters, since her incoming heal-boost is 50%, anyway... it sorta negates the effect.)

Bad Juju has potential~ it's a good spell, but the pip-cost (3, right?) isn't worth it, IMO... Just use virulent plague instead. But don't worry~ Death isn't alone. Life and Balance got shafted as well.

Mana Burn: Other schools seem to think that this is an upgraded version of Judge that steals pips, but it's actually little more than a free cast for your opponent~ not worth 5 pips, not in the slightest.

Guardian Spirit: before the nerf, this wasn't a bad spell. Now, Life wizards only get 600 health (on average) back and, in Avalon, that's just suicide. Again, not worth 5 pips. Satyr or Sacrifice can heal for more than double that, and for fewer pips.

As far as enemies not healing... Life enemies in Celestia heal A LOT, often critically. Sure, Infection might have come in handy during the boss-fight when the guy criticaled on Regenerate TWICE in a row and undid all of my poor necromancer's hard work... but that's where it begins and ends. A sprite here and there is not a big deal.

My 2 cents, for what they're worth,

~"El Veeb"/Shadowsong/Val Deathwhisper
archmage sorceress & legendary necromancer