Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help for new players

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 31, 2010
I am not sure if done before or even in the right section but here goes my attempt to help new players with a few ideas.

Weapon:I see so many new players use the weapon of their class.My opinion is that you SHOULD carry two.Almost EVERY enemy in the game will throw up a shield based on the convert or opposite class.
So for example if you are a Life carry a Death and Life weapon.
Life weapon to remove Life Shields and Death weapon to remove Death Shields.
Also if possible and are going to spend on the cash shop,make the +1pip weapon your first priority,it does more damage and gives the pip bonus to turn 1.

Treasure cards:I feel EVERYONE should be using these right away,it just makes your spells that much better.Carry perhaps a Sprite to aid the fallen or help yourself if needed costs 1 pip so is efficient.Buy a TON of the Tough [name?] enchantment card.Load your treasure slots with a bunch of these +75 damage cards and your spells all become treasure cards.They are very cheap to buy.
There is a way to have o/p treasure cards at low levels but i don't think i should share that.

Gear:depending on class you probably need accuracy.Spells are not much good f fizzling all the time,so get any accuracy available.Power pip chance.Try to get this as much and as soon as possible.Having more pips gives you a huge advantage in pvp and pve.
It is possible to buy the accuracy treasure card to avoid having to buy accuracy gear.Life player gets a rather early Accuracy spell.

Soloing:patience,pick your spots.Example wait until the long line of mobs is nearly past you ,then pick off the last one.if timed in the right spot you end up with only one enemy to deal with for at least 1-2 turns.

Last point:Etiquette....I see a lot of players get angry when a player joins another players fight.First up KI designed it this way,so be friendly ,it is part of the game.Secondly unless i have been day dreaming,the NEW mobs that join the fight will almost ALWAYS attack the new player first,so it is not hurting your game at all.
As for the TIME factor,remember that those players you scoff for joining,will one day be your partner to fight content that is impossible to solo.So treat them as a friend always ,NOT just when you NEED them.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
zubov56 wrote:
I am not sure if done before or even in the right section but here goes my attempt to help new players with a few ideas.

Weapon:I see so many new players use the weapon of their class.My opinion is that you SHOULD carry two.Almost EVERY enemy in the game will throw up a shield based on the convert or opposite class.
Also if possible and are going to spend on the cash shop,make the +1pip weapon your first priority,it does more damage and gives the pip bonus to turn 1.

Treasure cards:I feel EVERYONE should be using these right away,it just makes your spells that much better.Carry perhaps a Sprite to aid the fallen or help yourself if needed costs 1 pip so is efficient.Buy a TON of the Tough [name?] enchantment card.Load your treasure slots with a bunch of these +75 damage cards and your spells all become treasure cards.They are very cheap to buy.
There is a way to have o/p treasure cards at low levels but i don't think i should share that.

Gear:depending on class you probably need accuracy.Spells are not much good f fizzling all the time,so get any accuracy available.Power pip chance.Try to get this as much and as soon as possible.Having more pips gives you a huge advantage in pvp and pve.
It is possible to buy the accuracy treasure card to avoid having to buy accuracy gear.Life player gets a rather early Accuracy spell.

Soloing:patience,pick your spots.Example wait until the long line of mobs is nearly past you ,then pick off the last one.if timed in the right spot you end up with only one enemy to deal with for at least 1-2 turns.

Last point:Etiquette....I see a lot of players get angry when a player joins another players fight.First up KI designed it this way,so be friendly ,it is part of the game.Secondly unless i have been day dreaming,the NEW mobs that join the fight will almost ALWAYS attack the new player first,so it is not hurting your game at all.
As for the TIME factor,remember that those players you scoff for joining,will one day be your partner to fight content that is impossible to solo.So treat them as a friend always ,NOT just when you NEED them.

I really agree with very little here and I am not new at all.

Wands (not 'weapons') of the opposite school can be helpful, but sure aren't necessary. However, a nice Life wand against Death foes is helpful

I totally disagree with treasure cards. I sell most I get from drops and rarely buy or use them. I do keep some of the dropped ones just in case.

Life doesn't need more accuracy. They need power/strength. So your point on accuracy does not work for each school, sorry.

I have soloed the entire game up to Zafaria (with a few exception in some dungeons), and this tip really makes no sense to me. Again, sorry.

And you are not correct on your last etiquette point either; while I can't stop children from hopping into my battle just as I am about to complete it, again and again, the MOBS in Unicorn Way do NOT attack the new person. They attack the original wizard. I just experienced this two days ago. Again.

And FYI, proper etiquette would be ASK before assuming it's okay. I've seen kids wait and wait until someone starts dueling and then jump in. Why? So they can get twice the credit for the win or have someone do all the work. How is that being polite in any way? How is that using etiquette? Sorry, again. I will help but don't expect me to fight your battles for you.
(I have literally had kids, these are all muted kids, jump in and just sit there or shield themselves without ever casting a spell. Nice)

Survivor
Jun 17, 2012
Hero
Sep 08, 2008
RavenLady777 wrote:
zubov56 wrote:

And FYI, proper etiquette would be ASK before assuming it's okay. I've seen kids wait and wait until someone starts dueling and then jump in. Why? So they can get twice the credit for the win or have someone do all the work. How is that being polite in any way? How is that using etiquette? Sorry, again. I will help but don't expect me to fight your battles for you.
(I have literally had kids, these are all muted kids, jump in and just sit there or shield themselves without ever casting a spell. Nice)

Here is something I just don't GET.

In a game, a MMO btw, that is DESIGNED to work that way, why do you have to sit there and ask for permission to play with other people?

The fact that some people may take advantage of that, can't be helped. No matter what you say about it.

If you do not want to play with other people, make sure you are alone or play a single player game. It is as simple as that. Don't change the game or playstyle just because you don't want to play with other people in an MMO. Whether that is for a single little battle, quest, boss, or otherwise.

I say this again.

Do not expect to change the game or the players. If anything, change yourself or take it upon yourself to change the situation you are in.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Shiningfantasia wrote:
RavenLady777 wrote:
zubov56 wrote:

In a game, a MMO btw, that is DESIGNED to work that way, why do you have to sit there and ask for permission to play with other people?

The fact that some people may take advantage of that, can't be helped. No matter what you say about it.

If you do not want to play with other people, make sure you are alone or play a single player game. It is as simple as that. Don't change the game or playstyle just because you don't want to play with other people in an MMO. Whether that is for a single little battle, quest, boss, or otherwise.

I say this again.

Do not expect to change the game or the players. If anything, change yourself or take it upon yourself to change the situation you are in.

Asking in higher level worlds is only fair to those fighting there. If I'm battling some Water-matons in Celestia and some random lower level joins and gets defeated or flees how the heck am I supposed to deal with the extra monster? I can barely defeat two by myself, let alone three. I just do not have the staying power to continue the fight until they are all dead. They are guaranteed to kill me before I kill them.

Now, before you say change your deck/strategy, I have. Believe me, I've done that many times over for Celestia and now know to do it every time I have to fight some new mob.

I always ask before joining a duel, it's polite and if I can do it, so can other teens and also adults. It doesn't take too long to press two buttons and ask "Please may I join?" So why not?

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:
RavenLady777 wrote:
zubov56 wrote:

I say this again.

I am well aware this is an MMO, and have told people the same, and don't expect to play alone all the time; and have no need to "change myself" since I have been playing for quite awhile, and play very well, thank you.

I do not expect the game to change, and have never posted complaints about it this aspect, unlike many others.

I also don't mind people jumping in and FIGHTING. But to jump in and sit there, or worse, flee and leave you there... no, it's not acceptable. Period. And that's what I said.

Also, I have experienced many, many ADULTS that will ask before jumping in. There is a difference between manners... and none.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
Cliff Notes:

Grouping in a MMO - Can't really have one without the other.
Joining a battle and fighting - Ok
Joining a battle and not fighting - Bad
Joining a battle and fleeing/idling - Really Bad
Asking to join a battle - Kudos

Not making light of this. But.. It seems like pretty straightforward solutions are already in place for all of this - minus the leaving combat/griefing that can occur (Not much can happen there without defeating the purpose of the game).

Common sense can be worth more than $64 in the right hands.. :D

Survivor
Jun 02, 2012

I disagree. While it is true that enemies will shield themselves, if any traps or blades for your school are up, it will trigger them. I always carry a wand different from my school, but one that will use a blade if I cast an elemental blade or trap. Plus, that is a teensy bit misleading for new players. You cannot switch wands during battle.

I totally disagree with treasure cards. I sell most I get from drops and rarely buy or use them. I do keep some of thre dropped ones just in case.

I used to always sell TC, but after a while I found that gold is not that important (you find much more gear than you can use and some of it is worth a nice stack of gold) and a lot of TC is very, very helpful. But a TC cannot replace having the real deal, so I would suggest to all new players to train at least up to Pixie. But, I believe the both of you make good arguments for TC.

As RavenLady777 stated, all schools do not need accuracy, Life has a very low fizzle rating, as does Ice. This is important for Storm and Fire, though.

Very good point! Though, it is vital to know what school solos better than others. Being a Pyromancer, I can vouch that soloing is not impossible for a fire, but it is very difficult.

Thank you so much for talking about this! Etiquette is so very important for the players. I, honestly, don't think twice about jumping into a fight with someone my level or lower, but I do ask for someone higher than myself. It is annoying for a novice to port to you and bring another mob in the fight. It's understandable if they hold their own, but not if they flee.

See you in the Spiral
Emmaline Mythblade
Grandmaster Pyromancer

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
zubov56 wrote:

This is useful~ all of my wizards carry opposite-school wands, for this reason. My Death wiz is the first on my account to do it, and the others all followed suit~ Life bosses spam shields like it's their job, though Death creatures don't shield against Life, so Val has an easier time with same-school bosses than opposite ones.

That said, this doesn't apply to Balance wizards, who have to rely on off-school treasure cards to avoid Weakness and shield-spamming bosses. My archmage sorceress carries a Death wand, but only for the stats~ all of her blades and traps are universal, so casting a wand-strike means that all of her buffs are gone.

zubov56 wrote:

As a Balance wizard, off-school TCs are a requirement, from day one. Naturally, I stuff my sideboard full of Shatter and Cleanse Charm TCs before I go into any battle. Ever since Avalon was released, I've become a shameless TC spammer... but at least I don't lie about it.

As for your last point, that's why I'm afraid to PvP with my noob (level 15) fire wizard. I'd love to try it, but am so scared that some level 2 will come along and blast her with Medusa or something... if I play fair, she'd never survive even one hit. KI definitely needs to put level restrictions on treasure cards, IMO.

zubov56 wrote:

It's not just Life~ Balance and Storm also get accuracy-boosting spells early on, though Life is the only one with a group accuracy buff. And, if anyone needs accuracy, it's the elementals~ Fire and Storm have the lowest base accuracy in-game.

This also doesn't apply to Balance wizards~ unlike the other schools, any gains in accuracy require us to give up all of our other stats. By level 50, even Storm has higher accuracy than us~ as much as I'd love to not fizzle, I'm not willing to give up my 50% incoming-heal boost or 99% power pip chance for a near-perfect hit.

zubov56 wrote:

I soloed nearly the entire game with my Balance wizard, and she's never needed any help dealing with multiple enemies in street combat. The others are also doing fine without help (except Fire, 'cause she's still a noob).

zubov56 wrote:

I have mixed feelings on this one. Yes, it's an MMO... but manners and social etiquette still apply, and I always ask before joining any battles. When in the food-court at the mall, you don't sit down at a random stranger's table~ you find your own. And you never just "borrow" a chair from someone's table... you ask first; likewise, you shouldn't join random battles without permission. If my toddler nephew can say please and thank-you, so can the rest of us.

I don't mind if others join my battles, but I do mind when they try to hijack the fight. My Balance wizard often gets people who join her in combat and start demanding that she blade/shield/heal them or tell her to "keep passing and let me kill the monsters"... Now, there may be a context in which that kind of rudeness is appropriate, but I can't imagine what that context might be.

Short version: I only carry 12 cards in my deck~ no shields, and only one heal; just enough to get the job done quickly. If you join me, you're on your own~ I won't throw you to the wolves if you're nice to me, but don't expect me to overcompensate because you're unprepared.

My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
The general consensus seems to be, which is very understandable and I agree, that it is bad when a player joins and does not fight and/or flees.

I suppose I am a very evil person now, because ... especially in higher level worlds, I HATE playing alone.
I will jump in whichever dueling circle happens to be active, and join the other wizard(s). I will fight and try to contribute as much as I can, of course.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2012
Shiningfantasia wrote:
The general consensus seems to be, which is very understandable and I agree, that it is bad when a player joins and does not fight and/or flees.

I suppose I am a very evil person now, because ... especially in higher level worlds, I HATE playing alone.
I will jump in whichever dueling circle happens to be active, and join the other wizard(s). I will fight and try to contribute as much as I can, of course.

I do the same thing in the worlds that I am currently working in. I believe the biggest problem is lower levels porting in and bring in a bigger mob. That's what really bothers me. Countless times have I died on a task because of novices and journeyman jumping into my battles.

Cheers to being evil players

Emmaline Mythblade
Grandmaster Pyromancer

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
I've seen kids wait and wait until someone starts dueling and then jump in. Why? So they can get twice the credit for the win or have someone do all the work. How is that being polite in any way? How is that using etiquette? Sorry, again. I will help but don't expect me to fight your battles for you.

Actually, i only wait if it is a hard battle like death seraph or dungeons or bosses. But if i find someone while switching realms I DONT JUST SIT THERE AND SHIELD OR HEAL MYSELF!!!!!! I attack and i join by asking 'Please May i Join' I am mute but i can hear text chat so i always ask first!