Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

$5 Process fee 4 Open Chat Violations! Please

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
Firstly there are NOT ENOUGH chat restrictions in open chat. There is no need to be able to type in words that include extra letters, numbers or symbols in order to circumvent the profanity chat filter. Those words should automatically be filtered out as it is obvious the person is getting around the filters. The abbreviation style profanity also has no place in this game and could also be easily filtered out. Lastly the explicit adult physical descriptions and role play chat words can also be easily filtered out because there is no need for those words in the game.

Open chat should have never allowed for the number letter symbol combo style of typing, that was a huge mistake. Also certain paired words should also auto filter out... another easy fix since some combo do that currently. I am talking things that would have foe in it, or bee, or base, etc etc.

Now onto the fee discussion:

$5 to unMute the account, do not pay the $5 the account stays muted.

BUT that would not be a forever deal, repeat offenders would eventually be facing a 10 day or 3 year mute or even 10 year mute and possible banning.
AND IF they got to a 10 day or more mute the $5 fee should either be bumped up (a lot) or waved because if they mess up again they are banned.

Banning should happen at the 3rd offence unless what they said or did was very extreme in which case banning is in order for the account.

Hacking, stealing of account info, or sexual predator type activity should warrant an immediate IP ban.

Just a few ideas thoughts. I feel things will be changing very soon tho.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Ronster55 wrote:
I am confused... I would like darth to clarify for me, is this idea #1 or #2?
1. You get muted, and have to pay $5 to be able to log on again, but you are still muted.
2. You get muted, you have to pay $5 to be unmuted.

If its 1, sorry, but that seems kinda crazy, like joujou said, punished for being punished?

If its 2, sorry, but that seems kinda crazy also, LOL, what about the repeat offenders who dont learn anything and are spoiled-millionaire (well not millionaires, but can afford to waste $5-20 a day) brats. It would make a huge profit, but how about only for the little bans? You can't remove them off the 1 month or 10 year mutes. Well, maybe $1 for 50, and $1,000 for 10 years ;) PROFIT = LESS HOARD PACKS = LESS COMPLAINERS. SCORE.

Hey, Ronster~ it is #2.

You have a point (re: those spoiled kids and their parents, who can buy their way out of any situation). But look at it this way~ if little Mary or Jimmy keeps racking up $5 charges every other day, I bet their parents won't stay rich for very long.

(Thanks to my dad and stepmom, I learned that most rich people are rich because they're cheapskates. LOL. Therefore, they probably won't want to waste their hard-earned wealth on something that's not an investment.)

$5 is a small amount... but just enough that it'll start to add up as it turns into $10, $25, $50, $100... thus forcing parents to take note of what their little "darlings" are doing on the interwebz.

And no, bans would remain untouched~ there's no amount of money that could un-ban an account that's been IP-blocked.

-

I ran this idea past my younger sister, who has 2 little kids. When I asked her if she'd pay to unmute the account, she said: "I'm not spending $5 to cover their behinds~ they'd be muted until they could afford to unlock their own accounts."

:)

This idea makes me happy, and it gives me hope that the Spiral may, one day, be safe enough for my little nieces and nephews to join me in my quest for imperial domination... *cough*... I mean, world peace. ;)

-"El Veeb"
a WC Protector

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Ronster55 wrote:
I am confused... I would like darth to clarify for me, is this idea #1 or #2?
1. You get muted, and have to pay $5 to be able to log on again, but you are still muted.
2. You get muted, you have to pay $5 to be unmuted.

If its 1, sorry, but that seems kinda crazy, like joujou said, punished for being punished?

If its 2, sorry, but that seems kinda crazy also, LOL, what about the repeat offenders who dont learn anything and are spoiled-millionaire (well not millionaires, but can afford to waste $5-20 a day) brats. It would make a huge profit, but how about only for the little bans? You can't remove them off the 1 month or 10 year mutes. Well, maybe $1 for 50, and $1,000 for 10 years ;) PROFIT = LESS HOARD PACKS = LESS COMPLAINERS. SCORE.

Well done again Ronster. Solve all the problems in the spiral with one fix I am liking that idea. Kill fifty birds with one stone. Although what will you do about the ices and amber.

Anyways joking a side. Ronster has a point. This doesn't help since some people will just spend money. Others will just leave. Then more can go and create more accounts, for harrasment.

Simply you can't have a sure fired way of removing all the people who use profanity and such. The internet gives people a mask where they can go and say anything they want and not have to worry about getting punished.

Your best choice is if you really don't want to let your child see this is give them quick chat, or don't let them play, or watch them as they play. In the end it is just a game. Its your decision to use it or not.

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
Rulz99 wrote:
So am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? Okay. Chances are if a kid breaks the rules, their PARENTS will have to pay the fee. Think about that.
Very true

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
Better Idea
I thought about the whole thing and I do understand parents concerns.
I think that the kids used that their parents pay for their mistakes and you still thinking that way. No more!
If someone gets mute he will receive a new quest "Quest for forgiveness" only by completing the quest he will get back the chat. I think the quest should be very long like collecting some items that hard to get.
We also can put more penalties when wizard gets muted like his movement slowed by 25%

What do you parents think about my alternative suggestion?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
open33 wrote:
Better Idea
I think that the kids used that their parents pay for their mistakes and you still thinking that way. No more!
If someone gets mute he will receive a new quest "Quest for forgiveness" only by completing the quest he will get back the chat. I think the quest should be very long like collecting some items that hard to get.
We also can put more penalties when wizard gets muted like his movement slowed by 25%

NOPE, don't like this idea in the least. PARENTS need to be aware of what their little darlings are doing. My guess is, that when a parent logs into the account management and sees these charges are going to (1) be contacting KI wanting to know why those charges are there to be accepted or rejected, (2) will be taking computers from childs room and taking away game priviledges for a VERY LONG TIME. If the sanctions don't hurt, it will do absolutely no good.

Granted there are some parents that don't really care how their child behaves in any environment, but when it comes to hitting the pocket they do tend to make some changes.

As to the remarks about rich or wealthy people, with todays economy, they are not going to waste money on these kinds of fees. Some of those kids do have a tendancy to break rules regardless whether in a game or real life. Most of those parents have had to work hard to get where they are and in many cases are not aware of their childs behavior. This does not mean the parents will tolerate these kinds of actions.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
open33 wrote:
Better Idea

I think it should be in addition to the $5 and that it should be a quiz type thing that forces them to learn the terms. And where they can't progress unless they agree to abide by the terms of service or forfeit the privilege of playing. Should also include reasons for it, like reminders that little kids play the game and you should be respectful towards your fellow wizards, and so on. Then it would be a good idea. Though I see no point in slowing movement by 25%.

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
Being muted and having a dreaded collect quest that lasts a long long time because no one wants to drop the items..... with a few really high level bosses at the end (no drops, exp or gold for this quest btw) PLUS having ALL mounts and walking movements slowed would be so frustrating for that wizard but fun to watch. LOL
I also think it would be good to add no pvp or pet derby until the account has been unlocked... and no other quests can be done until this one is completed.

THIS I could agree to if the $5 fee were not approved. Make the person who broke the rules truly have to work to unlock their account.

BUT they would probably just create a new account and begin again.

I say for repeat offenders, just lock the IP addy temporarily... and give them the above mentioned quest and punishments.

What a fun quest though, as I love a challenge.

Survivor
Oct 09, 2010
So I Have To Message Wizard101 To Be Able To Pay To Be UnMuted?

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
jennm2203 wrote:
Being muted and having a dreaded collect quest that lasts a long long time because no one wants to drop the items..... with a few really high level bosses at the end (no drops, exp or gold for this quest btw) PLUS having ALL mounts and walking movements slowed would be so frustrating for that wizard but fun to watch. LOL
I also think it would be good to add no pvp or pet derby until the account has been unlocked... and no other quests can be done until this one is completed.

THIS I could agree to if the $5 fee were not approved. Make the person who broke the rules truly have to work to unlock their account.

BUT they would probably just create a new account and begin again.

I say for repeat offenders, just lock the IP addy temporarily... and give them the above mentioned quest and punishments.

What a fun quest though, as I love a challenge.

I kinda wonder how this helps at all. lol The people who do this probably don't care about what happens to there account. It would just be easier to make a ton of free to play accounts and keep causing trouble then going about trying to unlock one account.
The reason why there is a one day mute is for the people who do swear, that way they don't get muted for life or some other extreme punishment. Once they realize they could get muted forever then they will stop since a demonstration is the best way to enforce the rules.

I have a friend who kept using profanity so he got muted for 23 hours or so and now he won't swear one bit. So those kids who think its funny but care about there account won't keep doing it, after the first offense.

It seems to me the real problem is the people who just go online to cause trouble. Those people can't really be stopped since they can just keep creating free to play accounts. That is why this idea doesn't work too well.

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
goldendragon18
Parents simply can get an email to be aware of. Why because the chances that parents check their email everyday is much higher than the chance that they play wiz101 everyday.
You actually hitting the pocket of low income parents who already having hard time. Even with the economy I know people who don't care to spend hundreds of dollars for nothing everyday. $5 could be much or nothing depends who you ask. Would that be fair? I don't think so.

GrammyH
Quiz is a good idea but that would be overkill for KI. Don't forget that the range of kids ages who play is wide. The question should be good for all kids ranges and maybe for adults. For example quiz for 12 year old should be different from 18 year old.
To understand the point in slowing movement by 25% you need to use mount for like a month and than unmount and try to do all your quests by walking. Kids nowadays want to do things fast so trust me it is a punishment. jennm2203 perfectly got it.

jennm2203
Thank you for the additions as i said you got my idea and you truly understand why is my idea is a real punishment.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
open33 wrote:
goldendragon18
Parents simply can get an email to be aware of. Why because the chances that parents check their email everyday is much higher than the chance that they play wiz101 everyday.You actually hitting the pocket of low income parents who already having hard time. Even with the economy I know people who don't care to spend hundreds of dollars for nothing everyday. $5 could be much or nothing depends who you ask. Would that be fair? I don't think so.

I think you are the one missing the point. There is a very high chance that some of the parents ARE NOT getting the emails for the simple reason they trust their child to do the right thing and have given said child access to the master account and the email associated with that account. Therefore,the parent is more than likely not seeing those emails. In other words, the system is broken.

As for the $5 being an automatic charge that would be of no use unless the MASTER account holder accepted or rejected the charges under account management. So if they don't accept it, NO CHARGE and muted account remains muted until it is paid. The only time this is going to pop up as additional charges on the CC or Debit card is if the Child has full access to the Master account and email password.

As for the economy, I know very well what it is like. I live on a very limited income each month. I don't purchase crown very often and when I do, it is the minimum amount. I don't buy bundles and very rarely a hoard pack. My accounts are also on a monthly and not yearly sub for the same reason. If I need to disable them for any reason, I can do so. But I can assure you that if my child did incurr this kind of sanction, their account would remain muted indefinitely. I will not pay for them to curse in the game and don't allow it in my home either.