Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

$5 Process fee 4 Open Chat Violations! Please

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
Dear KI,

As a parent, as an adult, as a paying community member of this game, I would like you to please add a $5 processing fee for anyone that violates the Terms of Use policy and that does not adhere to the Code of Conduct.

Yes, I know 1 day sanctions can be given, but this does not seem to defer those that create multiple accounts or are Free to Play. All they have to do is have a credit card on file.

Now, Since they have a credit card on file for open chat and since they are violating the terms of use, a mute and unmute fee would benefit KI greatly for their time and effort of having to take this action. It would benefit the whole community and no longer allow the system to be abused.

It would also make parents more aware of the actions their kids might be having on this game, if "Added Charges" arise.

I know many players are in agreement that this is a good idea, so KI, it's up to you.

Thank you,

DarthJT

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
There should be a fee and this is good idea. 100% for it.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I too have noticed that when someone is muted, even for just one day, they go and create another account so they can go on with with their misbehavior. I think its a good idea! I know there are probably many who will disagree with us on this subject, JT. lol

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
i see what your going for but if they continue what there doing, they will ban them. If Ki notices them having multiple accounts they can ban the computer from playing wizard101.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Dear KI,

As a parent, as an adult, as a paying community member of this game, I would like you to please add a $5 fee for anyone that violates the Terms of Use policy and that does not adhere to the Code of Conduct.

Yes, I know 1 day sanctions can be given, but this does not seem to defer those that create multiple accounts or are Free to Play. All they have to do is have a credit card on file.

Now, Since they have a credit card on file for open chat and since they are violating the terms of use, a mute and unmute fee would benefit KI greatly for their time and effort of having to take this action. It would benefit the whole community and no longer allow the system to be abused.

It would also make parents more aware of the actions their kids might be having on this game, if "Added Charges" arise.

I know many players are in agreement that this is a good idea, so KI, it's up to you.

Thank you,

DarthJT

Amen!
This is an awesome idea. It will also stop people maybe from giving away their account passwords.

ellie

Survivor
Sep 23, 2010
Excellent idea, I think the parents should know what their kids are up to in the spiral. If I paid for a membership for my child I would want to know if they are abusing the rules of the game and are disrupting game play for others . I think that the messages that are sent to the email addresses
end up in the hands of the children.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
The fine sounds great to me. I think some people need to realize this is serious. Perhaps hurting their wallets would do that. Some people could rack up quite the bill in short order. Megan

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Yes, this is an excellent idea. An added fee might help pay the overtime hours that Mr Lincoln's staff are now having to put in. It would quickly grab the attention of parents who would most likely help us educate the little darlings. And with the rate of violations in the Spiral, could be a nice source of income for KI for the short term at least, at least until the word got out. Definitely a win - win for the Spiral. Yes, it does have a potential that some players would just quit the game. However since the vast majority of players do follow the rules and do try to keep the Spiral safe and clean, I can't see this having a significant impact on the number of players in the game. It would go a long way to returning this game to it's previous family friendly status.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
After taking some time to think about this option, I can see this as a final step in preventing the use of foul language in the game.

As Darth stated, the short term mutings are doing very little to deter those who choose to ignore the ToU and other rules that have been put in place to keep the game free of this kind of bad language.

Although I have seen some players saying that a lot of their friends are quitting, I suspect those players do not have access to the master account password or email. Great move parents and thank you for being vigilant.

I do think that if KI were to impose this fee, they would have to set it up so that the Master account holder had the option to accept or refuse the charge. By doing it this way, the only ones that are going to get an un-muted wizard will be the ones that have access to the Master account and email.
Otherwise, as long as the Master did not accept the charge, VOILA, that young wizard is going to be muted for a VERY long time, and the Parent is going to avoid that extra fee.

For the ones that have given access to the master account and email associated with it to their young wizards, unfortunately, they will not be aware of the charges until they start seeing the extra charges on their CC statements. I personally would not want to be on the receiving end of that.

With this and Menu Chat only on F2P, it would greatly reduce a very large amount of the foul language and may eliminate it altogether once everyone became aware of the changes and additional charges. Crowns and sub players would be the only ones able to get filtered or open chat and I would hope that the parents of new players would take a little time to make sure their child understands what will happen if they break the rules of the game.

Fallon WinterLeaf.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
So am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? Okay. Chances are if a kid breaks the rules, their PARENTS will have to pay the fee. Think about that.

Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
I agree and my 14 year old daughter agrees and even my husband who is our audience as we play agrees! There needs to be a fee put into place, mutes, bans and IP blocks need to happen faster and with diligence.

Please KI hear our request, $ 5 fee to all who get muted and that must be paid until the account unlocked. Better parent controls need to be put into place, maybe credit cards must be kept on file or something, so that kids can't simply activate open chat with mom or dad CCD and then take it off and run wild on the spiral with no fear of any repercussions from their parents and no care about KI W101 the rule or other players. Many of these people are not truly playing the game, they are just loitering in the common areas talking filth.

$5 = Fair and protects all.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Aritako wrote:
Yes, this is an excellent idea. An added fee might help pay the overtime hours that Mr Lincoln's staff are now having to put in. It would quickly grab the attention of parents who would most likely help us educate the little darlings. And with the rate of violations in the Spiral, could be a nice source of income for KI for the short term at least, at least until the word got out. Definitely a win - win for the Spiral. Yes, it does have a potential that some players would just quit the game. However since the vast majority of players do follow the rules and do try to keep the Spiral safe and clean, I can't see this having a significant impact on the number of players in the game. It would go a long way to returning this game to it's previous family friendly status.

I couldn't have said it better myself :)

Dear KI,

It's not that we want restrictions, or drastic measures, but it's come to the point that something needs to be done about these chat-abusive people. By hitting them in the wallet, their parents, spouses, or relatives, will stand up and take more notice as to what is going on in the game, and perhaps, do more monitoring, and (gasp), restrict access to Text or Open chat.

Defender
Jul 31, 2008
Aritako wrote:

Maybe I have not seen the same things you have, but did Wizard101 ever stop being a family friendly game? Yes I know that there are players with "loose lips" to say the least, but its not like they can stalk anyone. I mean, if the player is being rude, I dont have to listen (or read) what they say, I can always move to another place. And if I find his or her behaviour to be that horrible, I can always report the player.

Not that I dont think its a good idea, but we shouldn't take things out of proportion either.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
Rulz99,

That's the purpose of this fee. To bring to the parents' attention that their child is breaking the ToU contract. If they get hit in the wallet enough, they (hopefully) will make their child tow the line. this is what happens in the real world if kids break the rules. Sometimes its the only way to get (some) parents to really act like a parent.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Dear KI,

As a parent, as an adult, as a paying community member of this game, I would like you to please add a $5 processing fee for anyone that violates the Terms of Use policy and that does not adhere to the Code of Conduct.

Thank you,

DarthJT

I honestly don't agree to this idea, because what about the old accounts? Or, the accounts that were made already, to put it in a better way. We already agreed to their terms of use, KI can't just add more rules and claim we agreed to them, it just doesn't work that way. Because if you were charged on your credit card, and you agreed to the terms of use a long time ago, unaware of the charges, you'd be paying for something that you didn't agree on. It's like going to a store, and you're about to walk out, and then you get charged 5$ for something you never bought, just because you did something wrong.

It would be better if you could just 'unlock' your account instead of having to pay because you got muted. But, say, if you're someone that's 13, without a credit card, who has violated the terms of use, and the kid's parents weren't willing to pay for his/her account to be unlocked from muting, using your account's crowns should be another way to unlock your account from being muted, like 2500 crowns (5$), because it would be unfair if only spoiled kids or adults can unlock the accounts, anyone should be able to.

But, that would also mean that the muting violations would have to be more strict, because just saying: "You're dome." isn't something that somebody should be paying 5$ for. But, what if someone was constantly cursing and violating the rules, and was permanently muted, but just paid and started violating the rules over again. People that are permanently muted should stay permanently muted, because the amount of accounts getting banned would rise like crazy!

Well, those are just my opinions, and I have some pvp to do soon, so I can't really type much more...

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Rulz99 wrote:
So am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? Okay. Chances are if a kid breaks the rules, their PARENTS will have to pay the fee. Think about that.

Yes that is the POINT. The parent will now be aware what their little darling is doing while online. HMMMM, a few kids might get punished by their parents too for their vulgar behavior in a family friendly game.

I know what would happen to my kids......

The more I think about this the more I like it Darth.

Megan

Defender
May 19, 2012
I completely agree with this. I think goldendragon18 summed it all up very nicely.

I know that since I've started playing, I have befriended three young boys. I don't know the youngest boy's age but the two older ones are 12 and 13 (yes, they volunteered this information, I did not ask for it). The youngest and the 13 year old have been nothing but friendly and polite. I have only encountered the 12 year old once, but on that one occasion, he was rude, impolite, and obnoxious (although he did not go so far as to break any rules). I just attribute it to his young age, but all three boys have text chat, so either the parent has shared the master account password, or at least enabled text chat for all three kids. I don't know why parents do this, but I imagine, given the freedom to do so, the 12 year old would probably go quite a bit further with his rudeness.

On two occasions, I have seen someone use 'legitimate' words in an explicit manner, and it was quite obvious what they intended the word to mean, and was quite inappropriate for a childrens game. If people who do this were sanctioned with real cash fines, I think they would exert a little more restraint from speaking this way.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Rulz99 wrote:

Well, considering that a lot of times, when people are muted, the emails do not reach the parents for them to be aware of their childs behavior in a family game, this is a great way to ensure of parent awareness.

Also, when kids get into trouble in real life, parents are responsible and can face even bigger fees.

This is a great way to stop the profanity in our great spiral, bring awareness to the parents, and ensure that the systems in place are not abused. It's an entirely win win idea.

I know as a parent, that I would accept the fee and ensure my child would never do that again, especially if they ever wanted to play the game again.

Defender
Aug 01, 2011
Um people they already solved this problem once you set your age when you made an account no going back.

Mastermind
Jul 28, 2010
Great just add in more ways for money to be sucked out of our wallets. I am not a parent and I also don't use profanity but I don't want to deal with extra money being charged to my account. It just gives them another excuse to bill us.

Also you realize there is the ignore button, report button, and if you want you can just go back to text chat. I really doubt adults are the ones using the profanity because that is just too immature. This leaves the kids so that means another kid is going to be using those words because the want attention and the poor parent unknowingly will be charged for it.

Simply every game is going to have people that use profanity this is why there is filters, and report buttons in place. That is like saying lets charge someone money for using profanity on the streets. Simply it can't be done. I don't feel it should be done since it is rude but no one has gotten hurt from it and life goes on.

I don't mean to be rude but I don't feel this is the right way to handle the situation since I really doubt the kid who is getting muted pays for their own account.

That's my thought on the subject.

That is my thought on

Champion
Jun 16, 2009
darthjt. You may have came up with good ideas, but this just doesnt put through my mind.

Now I am not offending anyone but people with not alot of money play this. No joke. And what if they only had 4.00? It just doesnt, compete with me. And besides, my parents would get mad at me But I respect that you think it will be useful but to me it doesnt.

But its a 50/50 that it might happen, if it happens, I am gonna slap a rock on me because in my opinion I didnt really like the idea xD. ~Wolf Strongshield.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
codastar wrote:
Now I am not offending anyone but people with not alot of money play this. No joke. And what if they only had 4.00? It just doesnt, compete with me. And besides, my parents would get mad at me

Your parents would get mad at you , That's the Whole point to let parents know just how there kids are acting on a game.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Armiger
May 10, 2010
KI goes through every single report. When you are given a mute by KI, it's for a reason. KI does not take muting someone lightly.

That being said, if you are not cursing or breaking the terms of use, you have nothing to worry about. You will never be charged a $5 processing fee. Also, considering it will be a processing fee, it would probably be very easy for this to be legally implemented.

As for walking out the store and suddenly being charged an extra $5, well if you were not trying to walk out with that extra $5 item hidden in your shirt, which to the store is shop lifting and against store policy, you would not have to worry about being charged, now would you. However, IRL, you would be facing more than the $5 item you were trying to sneak out, you would be facing criminal charges as well.

I understand that kids and young adults will not like this idea, since it means that they will have to control their behavior and can not say whatever they want in this game anymore. But, if you don't curse or break the rules, you have nothing to worry about and this will not effect you.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
@joujou11cool, It really isn't going to matter how old the account is. Also if you go read the ToU, it also states that KI has the right to make changes to it at any time. That statment reads as follows:

The Company may revise and update these Terms of Use at any time without notice by posting the amended terms to this Site. Your continued use of the Site means that you accept and agree to the revised Terms of Use. If you disagree with the Terms of Use (as amended from time to time) or are dissatisfied with this Site, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using this Site. It is your responsibility to regularly check the Site to determine if there have been changes to these Terms of Use and to review such changes.

As for just "unlocking" the account that is muted. NO. And CROWNS can not be used to buy the unmute. The $5 would not be applied until the parent or card holder reviewed the charges in "MY Accounts" section. It would have the option to "Accept" or "Reject" the charges. If accepted, the wizard would be unmuted, if rejected, that wizard would remain muted until it was paid. Saying "You're dome" is not something we look at for reporting. Those who are PEMANENTLY muted or banned would remain so. For those kinds of sanctions, there would be no BUY OUT. Nor should they be able to.

@Snowyandspots, you would not be charged this fee as long as you did not break the rules. I can guarantee, that after a time or two of a parent seeing this, they will take actions to prevent their kids from abusing the chat system. This is not going to create a mass income for KI, but the language in the game has gotten so foul and explicit, sometimes graphically so, that steps need to be taken to stop it.

And not to disappoint you, but some of those offenders are ADULTS. As for parents unknowingly being charged, It is their responsibility to keep up with the ToU, and NOT give their kids access to the account control or email that is associated with the game. Also, read the paragraph above in which I stated how this would have to work. The fee could not be charged unless it was accepted by the Master account/ccard holder. That means that if they do not accept the charge, that wizard stays muted until it is accepted. PROBLEM SOLVED.

KI has been very consistent in notifying the public of most changes. I do think that if they chose to add this Fee to the santions, they would also post a Topic to that effect on the boards. "HeadMaster's Announcements" would be the most likely place or "Ravenwood Commons".

Follon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"