Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Least Favorite Type of Quests?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 15, 2010
I just randomly got curious, what's your least favorite type of quest? Ones like "Defeat X enemies" or "Collect X pieces of _____." There are tons of them, and a lot of them are annoying.

Let me share my least favorite:

"Defeat _____ and collet X pieces of _____."
Oh my gosh, don't even get me STARTED on this one. In early worlds like Wizard City and Krokotopia, these aren't really that much of a problem. The amount of items you need to collect isn't really that high and the change you actually collect the item are fairly good. But in the more advanced worlds (*cough*Celestia*cough*) you have to get an abusrd amount of whatevers, and you rarely ever collect any items from the battles. Just yesterday. I went through about 30 crabs to get just 4 thingies! :x

So, which types of quests do you guys hate with a passion?

Courtney Starstone
Level 48
Master Theurgist

Defender
May 17, 2011
azami104 wrote:
I just randomly got curious, what's your least favorite type of quest? Ones like "Defeat X enemies" or "Collect X pieces of _____." There are tons of them, and a lot of them are annoying.

Oh my gosh, don't even get me STARTED on this one. In early worlds like Wizard City and Krokotopia, these aren't really that much of a problem. The amount of items you need to collect isn't really that high and the change you actually collect the item are fairly good. But in the more advanced worlds (*cough*Celestia*cough*) you have to get an abusrd amount of whatevers, and you rarely ever collect any items from the battles. Just yesterday. I went through about 30 crabs to get just 4 thingies! :x

Courtney Starstone
Level 48
Master Theurgist

talk to _____, he gives you a quest where you talk to ________. then it repeats. I am NOT the npcs' messanger. ugh ugh ugh

Defender
Jul 28, 2009
Oh my collecting is the worst! I have to go through tons of enemies just to collect the amount i need in, Celestia is one of the worst worlds I mean Dragonspyre was a bad one but I think Celestia the worst world to collect so there for i think Celestia the worst world to collect in.

Destiny DeathBlade
Level 53 Myth

Champion
Jun 16, 2009
Me, oh dont even get started. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE collecting kinds of quests. Celestia hates me for that. I even hate Celestia back. I keep trying to get them from those fishy bots. I'm with you for that question. I hate that kind of quest also. ~Wolf

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
Defeat and collect. I have your luck with Defeat and Collect. While in DS, I was trying to defeat some Horned Whatsits and collect light sparks and I have not collected any in all of my battles! Ugh!

Next, the dungeon quests, go into a dungeon and collect or imbue so and so. I'm sent back to an area I thought I completed just to do a dungeon. And you know what that means? Blowing gold on potions. I'd rather just a single boss fight, that at least is manageable.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
azami104 wrote:

Courtney Starstone
Level 48
Master Theurgist

I'm with you on the did-not-collect (that's what they should be called) quests. My necromancer is nearing the end of Celestia, and those Water-Maton quests are about to do me in! Equally horrible were the ones in Zafaria~ my sorceress, who is now an archmage, had to kill about 200 of those Fire Lion Ravagers to get, what, 8 pieces of some quest item? Seriously awful... I'll take Avalon's many towers/the weakness-spamming in DS over those types any day of the year.

*goes off to eat some ice cream instead of complaining*

Survivor
Jan 21, 2012
I agree with you! The 'Defeat _____ amount of enemies and collect _____ amount of things' quests are the worst! Celestia and Zafaria drove me up the wall with these quests! I especially love the ones where it is 'Defeat ____ amount of enemies and collect ____ amount of things' and then when you finish it, you get another quest saying to defeat another _____ amount of those things!

Morgrim
Member of the Ironfist famiy

Survivor
Apr 11, 2011
COLECT QUESTS!!! lolz 30 that's nothing :) spent hour trying to get 7 thingies from these fire lions in savannah I mean AHH! In DS I remember in crystal grove I had to collect 3 EASY she did say they won't drop it easily though ... Well I was being cocky and a bit niave because wasn't experienced in collect quests didn't know how hard. Walk in the park I thought alas I was wrong at least a half hour later for 3! I finally got it. I went so far as to call a legendary storm friend because their was hardly any health wisps around and also only one spider would join the battle. Really? C'mon ... :)

Fred Boomflame 75 pyromancer

Survivor
Jan 29, 2011
azami104 wrote:

Courtney Starstone
Level 48
Master Theurgist

I completely agree! In Zafaria when you have to collect fire staffs from Fire Lion Ravagers, you have to collect eight and when you battle like four of them, you only get one! ONE! It isn't fair or worth it. Is it?
Well, I finished the quest though. Now I have to gather 8 shields from a rhino of some sort.

Level 68 Necromancer,
Shannon Deathglade

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Not only do the Defeat and Collect quests drive me nuts, but also the Obsidian Chest quest. I didn't mind going back to the other worlds, as that was the easy part. The hard part was having to go through the Labrynth AGAIN in Dragonspyre (very shortly after you just completed that dungeon quest).

The Water-Matons, the Eels in Celestia, and the Fire Ravagers in Zafaria do me in every time. Although, the Greyhorn Mercenary in Zafaria are getting on my nerves, because you keep having to go back to them quest, after quest, after quest, even when I try to group the quests together, you still have to go back for more.

Another one? Marleybone in general. I want to strangle some of the NPC's that have me running from one end to the other multiple times, in different areas (Hyde Park, Chelsea, etc). The main teleporter base is in such an awkward location, it doesn't do you much good. I want to scream, "Get it yourself! I'm tired of doing it for you!"

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I absolutely hated the Police Ball quest chain. That is my least favorite quest of all worlds, of the entire game. The Police Ball. Rediculous.

There is such an easy solution to the "Defeat and Collect" quests .... such an easy solution ....

Enemies aren't worth squat outside quests. If enemies gave you a good amount of experience, in relation to your current level, I don't think anyone would even mind fighting enemies.

You should take note of that, KI.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2010
laulenak wrote:
azami104 wrote:

Courtney Starstone
Level 48
Master Theurgist

talk to _____, he gives you a quest where you talk to ________. then it repeats. I am NOT the npcs' messanger. ugh ugh ugh

You hate those? Honestly, those are quests that I actually prefer to get. :-) I would be crossing my fingers at the end of every quest saying, "Please make me talk to someone, please make me talk to someone, please make me talk to someone..." And it always ends up with another defeat and collect quest and me screaming, "NOOOOOO!!!" at my computer screen.

Survivor
Aug 19, 2008
For those annoying collect quests, I would rather have the quests ask for more to collect and have a 100% chance of getting an item.

For example:

Psychologically Annoying:
"Collect 3 things" with 10% chance of getting 1 thing from each monster

Much Better:
"Collect 30 things" with 100% chance of getting 1 thing from each monster

Both quests have same overall duration of finishing, but the second example is less stressful.

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
I don't mind defeat and collect quests- as long as it dosen't take me more than 10 minutes to get at least one item. My pure hatred throat slash quests are the ones where:

Someone gives a quest to talk to someone;
You talk to the person;
The person you talked to gives you an extreme quest to defeat X number of enemies (usually 10 or more) And you have to choice to decline it. I HATE those. They annoy me because i have no warning.
:x

Survivor
Feb 15, 2010
Floydd wrote:
For those annoying collect quests, I would rather have the quests ask for more to collect and have a 100% chance of getting an item.

For example:

Psychologically Annoying:
"Collect 3 things" with 10% chance of getting 1 thing from each monster

Much Better:
"Collect 30 things" with 100% chance of getting 1 thing from each monster

Both quests have same overall duration of finishing, but the second example is less stressful.

Uhh... I would NOT wanna collect 30 items, even if the chance of collecting them was at 100%. :( Sorry, but that's just me.

Defender
May 17, 2011
azami104 wrote:
laulenak wrote:
azami104 wrote:

Courtney Starstone
Level 48
Master Theurgist

You hate those? Honestly, those are quests that I actually prefer to get. :-) I would be crossing my fingers at the end of every quest saying, "Please make me talk to someone, please make me talk to someone, please make me talk to someone..." And it always ends up with another defeat and collect quest and me screaming, "NOOOOOO!!!" at my computer screen.

I don't mind passing the word to other npcs. I just think that it is taking away from the storyline an awful lot. And I acually LIKE those defeat and collect quests. I get to kill stuff and there is often a higher reward then just "defeat 4 _____". And I love to look at the pretty artwork... :)

Though I must admit, the one where cyrus sends you to get his laundry had me laughing my head off.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2010

laulenak wrote:
I don't mind passing the word to other npcs. I just think that it is taking away from the storyline an awful lot. And I acually LIKE those defeat and collect quests. I get to kill stuff and there is often a higher reward then just "defeat 4 _____". And I love to look at the pretty artwork... :)

Though I must admit, the one where cyrus sends you to get his laundry had me laughing my head off.

LOL, I remeber that quest! The entire time I was like: Wait, I have to do WHAT?! If I could, I would have dragged his laundry across the ground and through the mud just to see what he would say (he would probably have my character by her neck).

Courtney Starstone
Level 51
Grandmaster Theurgist

Explorer
Dec 02, 2011
probably ones like multiple boss quests especialy if they are my school (storm)

Defender
May 19, 2012
My two least favorite type of quests are the Defeat and Collect quests, and messenger quests. If I had to choose between the two though, I would hands down have to say the Defeat and Collect quests, only because of the poor drop rates on them. If you didn't have to grind kill the monsters in order to complete these quests, I'd prefer them over the messenger quests.

Every time I end up in a quest line that sends me to talk to this person who sends me to talk to that person who sends me back to this person, then back to the original quest giver, I think to myself "I am NOT a messenger 'girl'. Find someone else to deliver your message. I am supposed to be the 'hero' of the spiral, so why am I being treated like a lowly messenger. Let me get back to my important tasks, and find a messenger to deliver your message. Or why don't you just walk the few steps it takes to go deliver the message yourself." :P

Defender
Jul 10, 2011
azami104 wrote:

Courtney Starstone
Level 48
Master Theurgist
Defeat and collect quests are sooooo annoying and they get worse in Zafaria

Defender
Jul 02, 2009
The collection quests are really bad. The drop rates need updating or just change it to kill a certain number of even number mobs. The kill odd numbers make you kill extra anyway. I have fought 12 of the black Tusk Cultists to get 4 obilisk fragments on my death wizard.

Explorer
Apr 27, 2012
Defeat & Collect ones are so annoying! I barely survived a "Defeat and Collect" quest in Wintertusk, and then... "Sorry did not collect _ from _ _!"

Grrrr!

- Savannah LifeHunter, Grandmaster Theurgist (50)

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
I think that those quests are much easier than the crafting quests especially "my little drum quest". I done with Avalon and all the side quests now my quest book is empty and I never had such a horrible quest like this.
If collecting stuff from mobs is worst quest for you that's not so bad.

Survivor
Jul 02, 2012
I hate killing the X amount of _____. it's just so annoying when you do get to the higher worlds, i'd rather just head to bosses, beat them be done with it.

Defender
Aug 01, 2011
azami104 wrote:

Courtney Starstone
Level 48
Master Theurgist
one time i was playing my life wizard in krokotopia my lower level wizard and guess what I never got the key from the nirini's to progress on forward. So I deleted the life my myth no trouble at all so what in the world my life was a jinx.