Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open Chat & Being Muted

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
Hello,

First of all, I would like to make it perfectly clear that I do not work for KI in any way, shape, or form.

Secondly, I would like to make it known, that I am first and foremost a Parent, then an Adult, and finally, a member of the Wizard101 community.

Now, that being said, it has come to my attention, that some wizards think, that because they have open chat, that they can say whatever they want, where ever they want, whenever they want. This is NOT true.

There are many words, that when you type them, they will show up in RED.
If you type that word and hit enter, it will show up as ... for everyone, even those with open chat. Now, if you think you are being creative by misspelling the word, changing the word, using numbers, or etc, this is considered cursing around the filter.

Now, if you have read the Terms of Use, Cursing around the filter is in violation of the agreement. The Terms of Use Agreement can be found here:

https://www.wizard101.com/patchClient/termsofuse

Now, Prospector Zeke has given us a very good post on what is acceptable behavior and what is not acceptable. This post can be found here:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/28843.ftl

Foul language, Harrassment, Bullying, & other offensive behavior should not be tolerated. It's up to the community to stop this from happening. KI has given every wizard the right to report offenses.

KI has now given us another official post on chat:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/52195.ftl

Now, just because you are reported, does NOT give you the right to report the person back. Even if you think you are being falsely reported, you should not Report the person back.

I have seen many times, a person will blatantly curse, then as soon as they are reported, say, I was just false reported. I am sure we have also seen many people here on the message boards complaining that they have been muted.

I am sure KI does not take muting someone lightly. I have heard and seen that KI gives out 1 or 2 day mute restrictions for mild infractions. Now, if you are given a 10 year restriction, I don't even want to imagine what was said. Remember, you are responsible for what happens under your account!

Please, watch your language Young Wizards, let's keep this game a safe, fun, and wonderful experience for kids of all ages.

I have also sent in this idea to KI, lets clean up the spiral!

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/51952.ftl

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Well put. Open chat isn't a free pass to say whatever you want. Just because it is 18+ chat doesn't mean this game automatically becomes cleared for M rated conversations.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Nice Work Darthjt.

There are also a topic by Mr. Lincoln called "Wizardly Chatting" in this same forum. I have spent quite a bit of time today and previous searches trying to find everything I could in reference to Open and Filtered Chat.

Here are the links to the pages in that topic since there are now 8 this will give a direct link to each page that has a post or reply by the Administrators.

1st 2 are by MR. Lincoln

1. https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/2485.ftl

2 https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/25/2485.ftl

This Next one is my Gamma. It outlines what is considered as False reporting.

3. https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/75/2485.ftl

The next 2 are by Professor Greyrose, the first one is a repeat regarding everything in game is logged. The second one explains the different colors in chat.

4 https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/100/2485.ftl

5. https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/175/2485.ftl

What is unfortunate is that so many of the informative posts are basically hidden. Only those of us that have been here for a long time have any idea where to look for some of them.

With the links Darthjt has posted and these, it should be evident that some of the players have not read what is not acceptable in the game and there are those that just really don't care.

There are several of us trying to bring all of this information back out and hope that more players will pay attention and READ it. If anyone else has links regarding this same topic that we have not yet found please post it.

We want the game cleaned up of the language and behavior we have been seeing. As a community, we have been given the tools by KI and we intend to use them.

If you break the rules and get reported, that is your problem. Ignorance to the rules is no excuse. All of us Veteran player and a large portion of even newer players have read the ToU, and any and all info we can find regarding conduct in this game. Many of us have young family members that play and by parental conscent also have at least filtered if not open chat. I have a few friends on some of my wizards that have young with open. But they are also teaching them what to report and what not to along with how and when to use the ignore button. I will do what is needed to help protect those players and I have several friends young and older that will do the same.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Explorer
Jul 16, 2009
This is a really great post, specifically because it reminds players exactly how one can and cannot behave towards one another.
In my personal opinion, it is now time for in-game mods.
Wearing the badge, loud and proud.
With new players, new commercials, new advertising... it's only going to get more intense, more complicated, more flagrantly,(sp?) abused, and players are just going to get more rude and more nasty.
I think it's great that y'all are trying to do something... but, I'm telling you, we're waayyy past players being the in-game mods and the first line of defense against bad behaviour.
KI putting in place warning systems and mods sitting in common areas being friendly, polite, but firm in what is acceptable behaviour, would help so much.
Especially for the newer players who have never had any experience with this kind of talk.
It'd just be so much easier, and cheaper in the long run.
I like your references, but I really do think KI is looking at a big 'ol problem that needs to be adressed, directly, by them.
Sorry and sad to say...at this point, just seems to be true.
The model of players policing each other was great, when the game was smaller.
We've gone waayy beyond that now.
A bigger model needs to be made. A more adaptive model.
A model that reflects the growth of the game.

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
Very well said Darth and Goldendragon. I don't use this type of language in my life and have taught my children the same, as I'm sure many other parents in our group and in the game have done. We are slowly making progress one wizard at a time it sometimes seems. Hopefully our movement will continue to grow and spread. And most importantly, hopefully KI will get on board and 1)update their filter systems to something that can handle the volume and variety that their massive growth has given. 2) update the Terms of Use to clarify what is and is not permissible, 3) update the sanctions given and response time for imposing said sanctions, and 4) educate the the players better through a mandatory tutorial the covers the most important aspects of the Terms of Use for in game behavior. These young players apparently are lacking in guidance at home. KI has done such a wonderful job in providing educational opportunities in the game, I hope they take this one up as well and provide some education on proper public behavior.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2010
Thank you Darthjt for getting this information out there, I love this game and want to keep it a safe place for kids and adults alike.
Mackenzie X6

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Aritako wrote:
Very well said Darth and Goldendragon. I don't use this type of language in my life and have taught my children the same, as I'm sure many other parents in our group and in the game have done. We are slowly making progress one wizard at a time it sometimes seems. Hopefully our movement will continue to grow and spread. And most importantly, hopefully KI will get on board and 1)update their filter systems to something that can handle the volume and variety that their massive growth has given. 2) update the Terms of Use to clarify what is and is not permissible, 3) update the sanctions given and response time for imposing said sanctions, and 4) educate the the players better through a mandatory tutorial the covers the most important aspects of the Terms of Use for in game behavior. These young players apparently are lacking in guidance at home. KI has done such a wonderful job in providing educational opportunities in the game, I hope they take this one up as well and provide some education on proper public behavior.

Aritako, you are right. There needs to be some updates made in the ToU and there needs to be an actual ingame CODE OF CONDUCT that clearly outlines what is and is not acceptable.

The unfortunate issue with some of the players being unsupervised is that many are old enough to stay home alone while the parent/s work. I also suspect that many have access to the master email for their accounts even if it was set up by a parent. KI does state that in many cases they do send an email to the master account holder stating why sanctions have been set. It would be a simple matter for these players to delete these notifications and the parent would never know about the infractions taking place until the main account eventually ended up being muted or banned.

With so many of them creating new free accounts within minutes of one being muted, it just goes to show that some of these players really need to receive the maximum IP muting at the very least.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
Once again Darthjt, you are straight to the point and right on the bullseye!
I can say that I have been friends with some "potty mouths" who were actually close friends on the game but wouldn't. stop. cussing.

Now I'll admit i'm a teenager, but in no way does that mean I take part, or agree, with what is said on the game.

Anyways, that being said, I found out one day, while I was offline, one of my friends got muted for around, oh so, 99 YEARS.

I can't imagine what would have been said, but I knew that this group of friends, no matter how close, was not right for me and so I deleted all of them at once, secretly of course.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
@borders412

Yes, of course it would be nice if KI gave an official statement. I am sure they are working on making this game even better and safer.

However, it's never too late for the community to take action. In a very short amount of time, The Wizard City Protectors have gained many official members that we can count, not to mention all the ones that are unofficial. We are growing very fast. If everyone can bring 1 member in and that 1 new member can bring 1 person in, this movement will spread like wyldfire.

We are not asking to much of anyone, we are asking that everyone follows the rules of the Terms of Use. We ask that no profanity be used, especially in public places. We are asking that people be respectful and not obscene. And we are asking that people do not bully anyone.

If the community makes a stand, it wont be long before every offender is muted or learns that it will not be tolerated.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I wanted to share this here, an let everyone know, that our efforts are working. When I first started in this joint effort, I reported a young man named Jack. He was with his buddies, thinking they are all that and being cool. They all were cursing up a storm.

I did my favorite routine of, "Watch the Language Young Wizards" & "Foul Language will Not Be Tolerated"

To some, this is a fair warning and they stop cursing. Some apologize. And then to a few others, this is considered a taunt. This is their "Q" to curse up a storm. Well, Jack did. I reported Jack as did several other Wizard City Protectors.

The next day, Jack was muted for 24 hours. The day after that, Jack was back in the Dye shop. He was giving me the same arguement. We can't stop kids from Cursing. Cursing is everywhere. You are wasting your time. So, Jack and I had a long talk about Dignity, Respect, what is acceptable and inappropriate. He asked to be friends and I did so. He left.

Well, when the Wizard City Protector meeting got here, I removed Jack, to make room for others. Well, last night, I was online and on both of my accounts. I was in the Dye shop on Steven, but paying attention to Kristen, who was visiting a friends new house.

When I glanced at steven to see how the language was, I noticed Jack was there. A couple of his friends were making fun of me while I was standing there AFK. Then the most shocking thing happened. Jack defended me, stated that he liked that I was standing up for what I believe. He started telling his friends to stop cursing and that he was tired of cursing, that it was stupid.

This meant a lot to me. I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention and I want to Salute you Jack, it's takes a very brave man to stand up to your own friends and do the right thing.

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
Beautifully said. Now if we could get all those wizards who think it's "cool" or funny to use this kind of language to actually stop would be great.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
darthjt wrote:
I wanted to share this here, an let everyone know, that our efforts are working. When I first started in this joint effort, I reported a young man named Jack. He was with his buddies, thinking they are all that and being cool. They all were cursing up a storm.

I did my favorite routine of, "Watch the Language Young Wizards" & "Foul Language will Not Be Tolerated"

To some, this is a fair warning and they stop cursing. Some apologize. And then to a few others, this is considered a taunt. This is their "Q" to curse up a storm. Well, Jack did. I reported Jack as did several other Wizard City Protectors.

The next day, Jack was muted for 24 hours. The day after that, Jack was back in the Dye shop. He was giving me the same arguement. We can't stop kids from Cursing. Cursing is everywhere. You are wasting your time. So, Jack and I had a long talk about Dignity, Respect, what is acceptable and inappropriate. He asked to be friends and I did so. He left.

Well, when the Wizard City Protector meeting got here, I removed Jack, to make room for others. Well, last night, I was online and on both of my accounts. I was in the Dye shop on Steven, but paying attention to Kristen, who was visiting a friends new house.

When I glanced at steven to see how the language was, I noticed Jack was there. A couple of his friends were making fun of me while I was standing there AFK. Then the most shocking thing happened. Jack defended me, stated that he liked that I was standing up for what I believe. He started telling his friends to stop cursing and that he was tired of cursing, that it was stupid.

This meant a lot to me. I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention and I want to Salute you Jack, it's takes a very brave man to stand up to your own friends and do the right thing.

That was amazing.

When will the next meeting be? I am thinking on coming so I can join WCP (Wizard City Portectors).

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
darthjt wrote:

A miraculous tale of redemption if any. Well done Jack and hats off to you.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
darthjt wrote:

That's fantastic! And kudos not only to you, but to Jack as well.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
Well darth, as I said in the other thread, I went up to a wizard last night and asked them to please watch their language and engaged him in a discussion.
After he tired of insulting me, I said my goodbyes and told him if he needed help I would happily oblige. He added me and then I helped him with a boss in the Grotto and gave him tips on gear, etc (we are both death).

I was also asked by many about the WCPs, which I guess I am a part of. idk, I am just trying to do my part.

The whole incident made me think about why some might be there basically wasting time and blowing off steam. Maybe it is their difficulty with the more advanced worlds. Hunter (the other guy) was amazed at the stats my gear had, and was surprised that my Frank could hit for 5k non critical when buffed.
I told him that my damage boost was almost 70, and he can buff up with his gear.
He then proceeded to try and find ways to earn gold for advanced gear, and I suggested that he start crafting for his WT gear.

I wonder if many of the more advanced players who are risking alot with their behavior are taking out their frustrations with the higher worlds?

In closing, thanks again for suggesting to not just report, but educate others about what is unacceptable behavior.
pods

Chris Nightwraith
Transcended Necromancer
WCP

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010

Darth: I was there, on Katie FrostBlossum. I, too, am familiar with the creative ways in which Jack and his friends would text their cuss words, and I, too, have reported him at different times. I figured you were AFK when I noticed Jack's friends starting a conversation about you, calling you a big meanie and other names. And again, I, too, was taken aback a bit when I saw Jack defending you, saying although he didn't agree, he still supported our cause and told his friends to quieten down.

I am thoroughly impressed that our efforts as "Wizard City Protectors" is making a dent in these behaviours. The dye shop seems to be settling down. One of my fears, however, is that some of these more 'stubborn' types will just move to other areas or other realms and try to spread their 'infection' into those areas. But as long as the WCPs are increasing their presence, perhaps that infection can get stamped out, too.

But that said, K.I. does need to revisit this and update parts of the game to ensure the Terms of Use don't get ignored. Such as what GoldenDragon18 indicated - come up with a Code of Conduct that is readily available for all to read within their Wizard Training Manuals (i.e. spellbooks).

In fact, in our group discussion on Central, I even made the suggestion about incorporating a "Wizardly Pledge" at the very start of the Wizard Creator, before the new wizard is even created - they have to agree to the terms of the "pledge" even before they create their new wizard. Merle would have to deem them worthy of becoming a wizard before they can go forth and create one. Then if they want to create a second wizard, they'd have to go through the Pledge again. And then this could easily apply to all accounts, whether they are F2P, crowns or subs.

Again, kudos to you DarthJT for heading up our group. We escalated from 12 to 45 members in just a couple of days. This is great momentum, and I can only see it increasing! Hugs to ALL the Wizard City Protectors! Woot! Woot!

Destiny SpiritGiver/Katie FrostBlossum

Survivor
Sep 23, 2010
Good for Jack to see the error of his ways and choose to do the right thing, and good for you too to take the time and energy to educate as well as report
bad language.
I hope a short mute will result in other wizards seeing the light and taking responsibility for their actions.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Darthjt, it seems that many of us are having the same good fortune. I know I have added a couple of young players to one of my wizards that we have found in the Dye shop. It really makes me feel good to turn these young people (and yes they are people to) around to take a different view of themselves and life in general.

They are learning they don't need to use this kind of language to fit in. If that is why they are doing it. They can have a much better experience in the game and in REAL LIFE without the foul rubbish. I have managed to get one young girl to promise to stay out of Wu realm and I really hope she will and I have added her to my Death wizard. There is another young girl that all of us know and saw her muted yesterday. I have tried to talk to her once without any success, but I will try again.

I also met a young man that already has 2 accounts that have been muted, probably for 10 years, but he is now on his 3rd account. I noticed him saying some things last night, nothing foul, but I started talking with him. Although it took 2 muted accounts, he has learned that what he did was not acceptable and will not jeopardize his 3rd account.

As we have stated so many times, many of these players seem to think that just because they have open chat or ARE ADULT ( which we have heard a few times as well), they can therefore say anything they want. They even go so far as to let us know that under the constitution they have the right to "Freedom of Speech". In the REAL world, this is true, but, in an online game such as this and with a TERMS of USE in place, although a little vague, they DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to use foul or explicit language.

I really do hope that some of those players are reading the posts and actually going and reading the references we have been giving them here on the boards and in the game.

WE are not out to purposely get these players banned from the game. No, we would really rather see them change the way they speak to and treat others. We are all human and we all make mistakes. Although some of you think we are doing this to be mean, I assure you it is the opposite. All we want is for these young people to learn that they do not need to use foul language to have friends and have a good time. I can promise you, that if you change this in yourself, you will find that you will actually have a lot more friends that will be TRUE friends. Not just friends because of how rude and crude you can be.

Right now the majority if our group are adults, but we do have a few younger members as well. We do this because we REALLY DO CARE about what is happening with our young people not only in the game but in real life.

What you make of yourself now, will determine what kind of life you will have as an adult. It can be a good life full of friends and family, or you can turn it into a life that will leave you alone and LONELY. Being alone is not the best way to live. It is actually very depressing and I don't like to see that happen to anyone

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
darthjt wrote:

That's great!

I know some of us have had similar experiences, which means we're actually getting through to to some people.

I recruited Nathan last night. He had been muted in the past, and was really excited about helping us clean up the Spiral. He sent quite an abundance of private chats to me, asking "is this reportable?", "hey, they called me a *****, did ya get it?", "how do I become a Protector?", etc. He was definitely a young wizard, and enthusiastic. He thought we were pretty cool for standing up to the foul-mouthed wizards. I did tell him, if he wasn't sure if something was reportable, then don't report, because I didn't want him to get into trouble for any false reports. He stayed in the Dye Shop for quite a while, helping out.

Another one was Megan (not one of our WCP's). She was falsely reported (maybe by accident), and asked me if I reported her in private chat. I told her I did not, and did not know who may have reported her. I checked the chat, and she DID NOT do anything inappropriate. It was probably one of those kids who was foul-mouthed and filed false reports on whomever they thought was reporting them (including quite a few on me). Megan told me she really didn't think I reported people on a whim, and asked LOTS of questions about who we are and what we're about. Although she won't be a member of our group, she said she will be more adamant about reporting, knowing that we will be around to help out.

These are just some of the examples from last night. There are more that contacted me in private chat. These people were very nice, and asked lots of questions, and applauded us for the work we're doing.

I always remembered to thank them for their questions, and if they ever see me or one of the other WPC's in the game, they were more than welcome to help or ask additional questions.

So, kudos to everyone who stepped up, both WCPs and regular players. It puts a smile on my face and a twinkle in my eye.

:)

Delver
Oct 26, 2010
I know, there are numerous kids with open chat cussing, telling people off, dishing out racist comments, and this is not right. I am glad to see KI taking an action to this behavior.

Wolf HawkBreaker Lvl 80 Sorcerer
Seth Storm Lvl 57 Diviner
Nathan BlueSinger Lvl 66 Thaumaturge
Dustin Nightblade Lvl 49 Necromancer
and joining the family, Jack Titan Level 20 Theurgist.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I wish I could relate a more favorable report today, but I has 2 girls chatting with my Death wizard in the Dye shop last night. Unfortunately, neither one of them supports the effort to clean the game up and one of them was even trying to get the offenders to move to the Pet shop. I do have this girl on my list(NOT starred) but will keep an eye on her and try again to get her to change her ways.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
QueQueg wrote:
darthjt wrote:

That's great!

I know some of us have had similar experiences, which means we're actually getting through to to some people.

I recruited Nathan last night. He had been muted in the past, and was really excited about helping us clean up the Spiral. He sent quite an abundance of private chats to me, asking "is this reportable?", "hey, they called me a *****, did ya get it?", "how do I become a Protector?", etc. He was definitely a young wizard, and enthusiastic. He thought we were pretty cool for standing up to the foul-mouthed wizards. I did tell him, if he wasn't sure if something was reportable, then don't report, because I didn't want him to get into trouble for any false reports. He stayed in the Dye Shop for quite a while, helping out.

Another one was Megan (not one of our WCP's). She was falsely reported (maybe by accident), and asked me if I reported her in private chat. I told her I did not, and did not know who may have reported her. I checked the chat, and she DID NOT do anything inappropriate. It was probably one of those kids who was foul-mouthed and filed false reports on whomever they thought was reporting them (including quite a few on me). Megan told me she really didn't think I reported people on a whim, and asked LOTS of questions about who we are and what we're about. Although she won't be a member of our group, she said she will be more adamant about reporting, knowing that we will be around to help out.

These are just some of the examples from last night. There are more that contacted me in private chat. These people were very nice, and asked lots of questions, and applauded us for the work we're doing.

I always remembered to thank them for their questions, and if they ever see me or one of the other WPC's in the game, they were more than welcome to help or ask additional questions.

So, kudos to everyone who stepped up, both WCPs and regular players. It puts a smile on my face and a twinkle in my eye.

:)

It wasn't me who asked that. I was false reported (have been twice actually). I figured it was a retaliatory report. They also false reported a dear friend of mine. That got my goat. I have been for those false reports against me to happen.

I had a young man whisper me about joining us too. He wanted to know how. LOL I said nothing formal was needed, just report things against TOU and there is a group on Central.

I think people are getting the message. I also think the most stubborn ones don't appreciate what they stand to lose or understand the the full consequences of their actions.

I to would love KI to re-do and make TOU PROMINENT. TOU should in plain, concise and simple English. I read an article that stated many players are in the 8-12 yr range. TOU needs to written so they understand them. As they are now written some of it is rather legalise and fuzzy.

Megan Frostriver

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Okay, I would like to appologize for hijacking my own thread. Lets get back to the original topic and issues at hand.

Making the rules known:

Hello,

First of all, I would like to make it perfectly clear that I do not work for KI in any way, shape, or form.

Secondly, I would like to make it known, that I am first and foremost a Parent, then an Adult, and finally, a member of the Wizard101 community.

Now, that being said, it has come to my attention, that some wizards think, that because they have open chat, that they can say whatever they want, where ever they want, whenever they want. This is NOT true.

There are many words, that when you type them, they will show up in RED.
If you type that word and hit enter, it will show up as ... for everyone, even those with open chat. Now, if you think you are being creative by misspelling the word, changing the word, using numbers, or etc, this is considered cursing around the filter.

Now, if you have read the Terms of Use, Cursing around the filter is in violation of the agreement. The Terms of Use Agreement can be found here:

https://www.wizard101.com/patchClient/termsofuse

Now, Prospector Zeke has given us a very good post on what is acceptable behavior and what is not acceptable. This post can be found here:

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/28843.ftl

Foul language, Harrassment, Bullying, & other offensive behavior should not be tolerated. It's up to the community to stop this from happening. KI has given every wizard the right to report offenses.

KI has now given us another official post on chat:

Now, just because you are reported, does NOT give you the right to report the person back. Even if you think you are being falsely reported, you should not Report the person back.

I have seen many times, a person will blatantly curse, then as soon as they are reported, say, I was just false reported. I am sure we have also seen many people here on the message boards complaining that they have been muted.

I am sure KI does not take muting someone lightly. I have heard and seen that KI gives out 1 or 2 day mute restrictions for mild infractions. Now, if you are given a 10 year restriction, I don't even want to imagine what was said. Remember, you are responsible for what happens under your account!

Please, watch your language Young Wizards, let's keep this game a safe, fun, and wonderful experience for kids of all ages.

I have also sent in this idea to KI, lets clean up the spiral!

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/51952.ftl

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I would just like to add one thing Darthjt.

Professor Greyrose posted this topic "Chatting Clarifications" in the Headmaster's Announcements this morning and this is the link to it.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2010
Woot! Woot! Woot! Professor Greyrose

Thank you for posting this message and reminding us what is and is not acceptable in the spiral!

Mackenzie, Wizard City Protector