Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Guiding Light and Pet

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 19, 2012
So I have a question. I was just in combat on my life wizard on my second account and she has the hawk pet. It knows Spritely, and it threw off a heal during combat. Not a problem.

But when the pet threw off the heal, the Guiding Light that was over my own head that I cast on myself went off. Is that supposed to happen? I didn't cast the heal, my pet did, so why would it affect the Guiding Light that I cast? It wasn't a big deal since the fight was over, but it just seemed very odd to me that something I cast on myself would be affected by a spell cast by my pet.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Guiding Light is suppose to work that way, any incoming heal would trigger it. Mainly I think it was set up for life wizards to be able to cast it on team mates and then sprite or other heal them so it was boosted. I never really kept it in my deck on my life wizard and sell the treasures I get of it.. I looked more to gear to boost my in and out going heal spells, other schools can do this also.

Defender
May 19, 2012
Ok, you're mistaken and let me explain why.

If I cast Guiding Light from my Life Wizard onto my Balance Wizard (on my second account), then my Life Wizard heals my Balance Wizard, Guiding Light is not triggered and my Balance Wizard is only healed for the normal amount.

If, however, I cast Guiding Light from my Life Wizard onto my Life Wizard, then use my Life Wizard to cast a heal onto my Balance Wizard, Guiding Light is triggered, and my Balance Wizard receives the bonus heal.

As well, if I cast Guiding Light from my Life Wizard onto my Balance Wizard, and my Balance Wizard casts a self heal, Guiding Light is triggered and my Balance Wizard receives the bonus heal.

Therefore, Guiding Light is only triggered by outgoing heals, not by incoming heals, and my pet should not be triggering this spell when he casts heals on my wizard.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
fiziali wrote:

If I cast Guiding Light from my Life Wizard onto my Balance Wizard (on my second account), then my Life Wizard heals my Balance Wizard, Guiding Light is not triggered and my Balance Wizard is only healed for the normal amount.

If, however, I cast Guiding Light from my Life Wizard onto my Life Wizard, then use my Life Wizard to cast a heal onto my Balance Wizard, Guiding Light is triggered, and my Balance Wizard receives the bonus heal.

As well, if I cast Guiding Light from my Life Wizard onto my Balance Wizard, and my Balance Wizard casts a self heal, Guiding Light is triggered and my Balance Wizard receives the bonus heal.

Therefore, Guiding Light is only triggered by outgoing heals, not by incoming heals, and my pet should not be triggering this spell when he casts heals on my wizard.

Very good testing on your part. What we can tell from this is, your pet spell is considered coming from you. I can also tell this when fighting myth sharks in the empire and they put dispell on me, when my pet spells spritely it breaks the life dispell they put on my wizard. In other words it appears that all spells a pet can do actually are considered from your wizard.

Defender
May 19, 2012
My pet has also been triggering Guidance spell when it casts Spritely. It seems the pet needs to be fixed. :)

Defender
May 19, 2012
brwac wrote:
Very good testing on your part. What we can tell from this is, your pet spell is considered coming from you. I can also tell this when fighting myth sharks in the empire and they put dispell on me, when my pet spells spritely it breaks the life dispell they put on my wizard. In other words it appears that all spells a pet can do actually are considered from your wizard.

So in other words, I should not have a pet that casts spells on my Life wizard, if I don't want it breaking these spells? I can understand the spells like Tower Shield and such as coming from my wizard since it puts a card into her deck and she has control over when those spells are cast. Spells like Spritely, that don't put a card into her deck and she has no control over casting, these should not count as coming from her. If they are considered coming from her, then I should have some control over when the spell is cast so I can ensure the other spells are not broken. :/

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
fiziali wrote:

Your pet's actions count as your own. That is why Guiding Light is being effected. This is also why some pet actions trigger boss cheats (like fizzling in Helephant Tower). Your pets are an extension of your casting.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Guiding Light is an OutGoing Heal Boost for your circle, the same as any accuracy boost that is placed on that circle.

If your pet casts spritely or a spell, the pet gets to use the boosts on the circle the same as you can.

It sounds very greedy for you to assume everything on your circle is yours and you wont share with your pet.

I personally have started to call guiding light, pet snacks, cause every time I put one out there, my pet is very good and casts spritely.

Now, my suggestion to you, is if you don't wish for your pet to use the guiding light and/or accuracy boosts, dont equip a pet with a may cast talent.

It is not the pet that needs to be fixed, it is the thinking that everything is there for you that needs to change.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Guiding Light is an OutGoing Heal Boost for your circle, the same as any accuracy boost that is placed on that circle.

If your pet casts spritely or a spell, the pet gets to use the boosts on the circle the same as you can.

Exactly!

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
fiziali wrote:

I am pretty sure guiding light is triggered by incoming heals. Say for example you cast a a guiding light on yourself, then cast pixie, or any other life heal on yourself. it will be used. an incoming heal is one that is cast on your character (or rather benefits you) regardless of whether or not it was cast by you. it will be triggered if you were the one to cast it. i think the problem with that experiment is that you only consider "incoming heals" as heals coming to you from other characters.

On to the pet using the guiding light: You have to consider your pet an extension of yourself. according to your reasoning, (i.e. because you were not the one that cast the sprite it shouldn't have been used) minions and other players shouldn't be able to use blades you put on them either, since they didn't cast it.
Similarly, you shouldn't be able to use a balanceblade randomly cast by your pet (if you have the talent) because it wasn't cast by you. you never know if the pet intended to use it later :P

That said the pet can use that blade because the action comes from you. therefore, it uses whatever boost you have. like i said a bit up, it's an extension of yourself, therefore it's going to use every advantages you have set up for yourself, to ultimately help you. Because if you consider your pet different from you then talents like spell proof or pain giver shouldn't be added to your stats. similarly, pet sprite should only heal the pet that casted it

Defender
Aug 26, 2010
[quote=brwac

Yes, the healing spells that come from your pets are seen as coming from you, that is why they have your (in and out) boosts when cast.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
nagashiki wrote:
fiziali wrote:

I am pretty sure guiding light is triggered by incoming heals. Say for example you cast a a guiding light on yourself, then cast pixie, or any other life heal on yourself. it will be used. an incoming heal is one that is cast on your character (or rather benefits you) regardless of whether or not it was cast by you. it will be triggered if you were the one to cast it. i think the problem with that experiment is that you only consider "incoming heals" as heals coming to you from other characters.

On to the pet using the guiding light: You have to consider your pet an extension of yourself. according to your reasoning, (i.e. because you were not the one that cast the sprite it shouldn't have been used) minions and other players shouldn't be able to use blades you put on them either, since they didn't cast it.
Similarly, you shouldn't be able to use a balanceblade randomly cast by your pet (if you have the talent) because it wasn't cast by you. you never know if the pet intended to use it later :P

That said the pet can use that blade because the action comes from you. therefore, it uses whatever boost you have. like i said a bit up, it's an extension of yourself, therefore it's going to use every advantages you have set up for yourself, to ultimately help you. Because if you consider your pet different from you then talents like spell proof or pain giver shouldn't be added to your stats. similarly, pet sprite should only heal the pet that casted it

Guiding light is outgoing. It is not incoming. It is, and has always been outgoing.

Delver
Oct 05, 2010