Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Did not collect" quests are driving me crazy

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 17, 2012
joe1234567360 on Dec 18, 2012 wrote:
Well I just got to ZF and that happens to me too, but just keep trying and don't give up!
It doesn't just happen in zafaria, but Mooshu, Krokotopia,wizard city, Celestia and dragonspyre. It doesn't seem to happen anywhere else. Here is some tips:

If you have gone through three fights and not collected anything, do something else for an hour or two before coming back to that quest.

If you still don't collect anything after another three fights, switch to a different realm.

If there is no success there either, try killing it with different school attacks.

If you are still failing after your ninth round, call on a friend to drag a few mobs in.

If all you find is failure on your twelfth round, just keep trying!

Noah

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
WilliamGD185 on Dec 20, 2012 wrote:
It doesn't just happen in zafaria, but Mooshu, Krokotopia,wizard city, Celestia and dragonspyre. It doesn't seem to happen anywhere else. Here is some tips:

If you have gone through three fights and not collected anything, do something else for an hour or two before coming back to that quest.

If you still don't collect anything after another three fights, switch to a different realm.

If there is no success there either, try killing it with different school attacks.

If you are still failing after your ninth round, call on a friend to drag a few mobs in.

If all you find is failure on your twelfth round, just keep trying!

Noah
Been reading your posts. At the time you posted this had you even gotten the spiral key to Zafaria? Your suggestions don't seem quite in line with Zafaria questing.

Killing mobs using different tactics and spells has absolutely no effect on collect quest success. Neither does switching realms.

Most wizards on these forums don't have issues with basic survival during Zafaria collect quests. Its the repetition. Make sure you read the Subject Line and OP of forum threads.

Happy Wizarding!

Survivor
Oct 27, 2012
I totally agree i hate collecting quests they just are just so annoying when you didn't collect anything! The fire lions battle quests were in my opinion the worst part by far in ZFI had to battle like 70-120 in all of them with friends and they are really hard. After i completed one fire lion quest i had to do another and another and another by the time me and my friends were completely done we all wanted to never fight one of those fire lions Would it be too much to ask to make the Collecting ratings higher and not have the same quest over and over again fighting the same enemies. Luckily i finished them all and moved on but i think those fire lion quests were the worst experience of my W101 Journey so far.

John BattleBreath Level 75 Ice (Finished Zafaria) :D Currently A knight in The Wyrd

Survivor
Apr 30, 2010
I agree the collect quests can take way too long with way too many battles before getting the number needed. It is not just the fire lions, it happens in a lot of places. I am in Azteca now, and the fights are harder and much longer and very discouraging to keep getting "did not collect" message. I don't know if it is just luck but when stuck on a collect quest I have tried: solo, group, moving around to different areas to battle, staying in same place to battle, had fast fights, slow fights, hired henchmen, changed pets, used wizards from other accounts from a different school to help, left and come back - different time/different days. . . You name it and I have tried to figure out some kind of system to make it go faster and nothing seems to help. However I know some collect quests I have gotten the things fairly quickly so I do not know if it is just luck or set up that way. It really is frustrating.

Are there certain enemies that drop them, like one fire lion among all the others and you have to luck out to get that one? or do each of them drop them on their tenth fight? I guess only KI knows. I hope KI sees the concern and tries to figure out a more consistent way to drop the items for us. Getting a badge for killing (for an example) 100 or more enemies on one collect quest is not the way I want to gain a badge, nor do I want to get really bored doing the same thing over and over for an extended period of time.

I do know that sometimes a person fighting the same quest with me may get the collect items quicker, some slower, but the ones I get stuck on are the ones others are complaining about and the ones most of my different wizards in different accounts (some mine, some family members) get so discouraged on seem to pretty much be the same collect quest each time through the game. The worst is when you can't find the enemies grouped alone!

FUN23K, thanks for bringing this up and giving us a chance to find out if this is a glitch or done on purpose.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2012
The thing i don't like of wizard101 is the collect quests. They drive me crazy. Like in one of them i had to attack 10 of them before i could only get 1 out of 3.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2009
What is worse is that it is random so the possibility of even getting one is by chance.

Survivor
Jan 25, 2010
Whoa don't worry people. I heard that an update is coming out and it will make it easier to collect items for "Defeat and Collect Quests". This should make it easier to collect things in both celestia and zafaria. Note: I didn't really have any problems and this update should fix everything up.

Ryan Duskspear Level 90 Death

Defender
Sep 09, 2012
I'm not in zafaria, but I've had that problem too, in ravenscar. I still need to collect feathers and I have done 10 thousand times even though it should have only been 3.
Emma Emaraldsword, lvl 40 conjurer

Explorer
Sep 05, 2011
I really hated the lions one. I had 164 on the badge list when I finished them, and I'm fire

Survivor
Apr 19, 2009
i just got to the guide's staff quest yester day and i dont even want to know how many i tried and failed to get them i just always have problems with quests like this from wizard city to zafaria i know in each world at least once a collect quest i went through 3 full wizard battles and it said "Did Not Collect *item* Please Try Again" and this makes this seem more like a rage game than a game with a story line i assure you that can make anyone rage and the battles go so slow its annoying to me if you spend like 20-30 minioutes or more fighting and you dont get anything you get mad am i right?

Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
BrynnerOfReign on Jun 30, 2012 wrote:
There are a few areas in the Spiral, where the collecting takes forever.

Zafaria is the worst one, because not only do you have to collect from one type of mob, you end up having different collecting quests for the same type of mob.

For example: Lion Fire Ravagers. My Balance wizard was the first one to tackle them. First, you fight them a couple of different times for quests. Then, you have to collect 8 of something (I forget what it was) for another quest. It took me 57 of these Lions to collect the 8 items I needed. I fought them all by myself, until the very last fight when one person joined me (hence the odd number).

I don't mind fighting mobs a few times to collect, but when it goes on and on and on, and you don't collect anything, it gets tedious and extremely annoying, especially when you don't have any other quests that can break up the monotony.

It would be nice if we could get at least ONE item per mob fight. I can deal with that.
Me two. This quest took me 2 hours to complete. I didn't get my first one until the 20th battle

Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
Fire lion ravengers took me two hours to complete. I am suprised so many other people had trouble too.

Defender
Jun 17, 2012
well look at the bright side. if you've been raised by 3 levels doing that mission, the later missions would be (sort of) easier because you're 3 levels higher than suppose to be. i'm sure you'll get it soon.

~justin firetheif level 66

Survivor
Oct 31, 2010
Wow, its the exact opposite for me, i always get the collecting quest.

Even though i get try again once in a while, i'm pretty much lucky . Your prob wondering "HOWS THAT POSSIBLE!?!" idk, i guess i'm the lucky person in W101, i hope this luck will never end (I hope i don't jinx it) anyways don't leave W101 forever just because your not getting the collecting part of the quest, thank the people who made W101 possible to play. I mean maybe there some stuff wrong or bugs that annoys us a bit, but still, you love the game and still play it.

I'm a (Fire) wizard at level 68 going to 69, do you think that makes a difference?!? plz reply or somet
hing cause it must be a glitch cause i mean, everyone hates collecting quest, but i think there really quick and easy, thanks

~Blaze Flame, Lvl.68 "The W101 Nerds

Survivor
Apr 16, 2012
I suggest to all that have troubles with defeat and collect quests- take a break from it and come back later after trying a lot.

Of course, the more you stay in the SAME area fighting the SAME enemy for the SAME quest, the more infuriating it will become. So, just take a break. Train a pet. Work on another quest. Craft. Garden. Etc. Etc.

I have done this a lot and every time I come back it seems to work right away.

And, if you are REALLY having troubles, either go to a realm with a lot of wizards in it to help you fight, or simply invite a friend to increase your chances and speed of completing the quest.

(Chris Griffin, Level 75 Pyromancer, currently in Drum Jungle on a Defeat and Collect quest myself :P)

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
I've found that my friends all have something else they're working on when it comes time to help with d&c. So I get on late just before going to sleep and do a few battles while straightening up the living room, doing dishes, etc.

When you know you're going to be doing something mindless, grueling, and repetitive for the next three hours, bring a book or some housework or something and work on that while the spell animations are dragging things out.

I finished reading Count of Monte Cristo while doing stormriven d&c quests. That's how long it takes.

Defender
Jun 22, 2011
It took me (and I am not exagerrating here) 56 tries to get the parts of that staff in ZF.

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
They are driving me crazy too. Just let me collect!

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
I must be lucky then cause i got it like my second battle.

Survivor
Feb 05, 2013
Yeah, this is what happens to me:
I manage to get all my stuff. YES! I turn the quest in.
Quest person: "Ahh, these will work well. Now we need food!" Defeat Thornpaw Hunters and collect Biltong in Savannah. (0 of 10)
Me: WHAT?!

But I like Zafaria otherwise.

Explorer
Jul 15, 2012
And now, for even more to say, when I posted my first comment, I wasn't even close to Zafaria. Now I'm in Avalon so... I just wanna say that this quest was ridicuolosly easy, I got it in my first try, don't worry you probably got it anyways, but just in case this problem comes out in the future, just be patient, it will show up

Robert Angleblade
Transcendent Theurgist

Explorer
Jun 04, 2011
I finished up the series of Fire Lion Ravagers quests a day or two ago, and I'm SO happy that KI decided to higher the collecting percentages. Makes collecting in Zaf SOO much easier

The other day I was talking to a wizard who had joined me in combat, and he told me that he quit playing for several months when he first started ZF because he just couldn't take the collecting rate. He came back just recently because KI made collecting easier ( Thank You!)

Emmaline Iceshard
Lvl. 65 Legendary Thaumaturge

Explorer
Feb 02, 2011
it may just be me but i got it done easy

Survivor
Jul 08, 2010
BrynnerOfReign on Jun 30, 2012 wrote:
There are a few areas in the Spiral, where the collecting takes forever.

Zafaria is the worst one, because not only do you have to collect from one type of mob, you end up having different collecting quests for the same type of mob.

For example: Lion Fire Ravagers. My Balance wizard was the first one to tackle them. First, you fight them a couple of different times for quests. Then, you have to collect 8 of something (I forget what it was) for another quest. It took me 57 of these Lions to collect the 8 items I needed. I fought them all by myself, until the very last fight when one person joined me (hence the odd number).

I don't mind fighting mobs a few times to collect, but when it goes on and on and on, and you don't collect anything, it gets tedious and extremely annoying, especially when you don't have any other quests that can break up the monotony.

It would be nice if we could get at least ONE item per mob fight. I can deal with that.
I must be getting lucky; I've killed ten Lion Fire Ravagers and have gotten 3 of the 8 parts. Plus, it is easy for me to quickly kill them because I'm storm (storm boosts on fire). Good luck to all future people who have to fight these enemies.

Nicholas StormSword, level 65

Survivor
Nov 23, 2012
Wow its that hard! Well heres a hint. The less you need to collect, the harder it is to collect. In that quest I believe you need to find 1. You should've found it by now. Also think of Celestia's hard collect quests.

Hope this helped Joshua Battlehammer level 72