Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Scratching My Head ....

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
...... Not because I have fleas (LOL).

The question is: What have you seen in the game that people do that makes you scratch your head and say "huh?".

Example: When people are away from their computer, and they're spinning in place ... I see them in the most inconvenient places. For example: On a sigil, or in the middle of a battlefield full of mobs, or in the middle of a commonly traversed path. Why be right there, in the way? Not that we can't pass through them on the way to wherever we need to go, but it makes me scratch my head and think "huh? Why there?". Why not off to the side, or behind a building?

Hmm.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
QueQueg wrote:

The question is: What have you seen in the game that people do that makes you scratch your head and say "huh?".

Example: When people are away from their computer, and they're spinning in place ... I see them in the most inconvenient places. For example: On a sigil, or in the middle of a battlefield full of mobs, or in the middle of a commonly traversed path. Why be right there, in the way? Not that we can't pass through them on the way to wherever we need to go, but it makes me scratch my head and think "huh? Why there?". Why not off to the side, or behind a building?

Hmm.

Itchy head, strange players... you've been in Marleybone again, haven't you? :P

I agree about the random spinning people (whom I first discovered in Marleybone, lol)... I have no idea what they're doing, or what it means; I once asked one what she was doing, and got no reply. It's like some weird wizarding flash-mob.

I'll add more things that make me go hmmm as I think of them...

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
QueQueg wrote:

Hmm.

Maybe it was urgent and they couldnt get off to the side. I havent seen this myself, so i dont really know

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
QueQueg wrote:

Hmm.

When i have to spin, I usually go off to the side. I never could understand why some people just start spinning on top of sigils leading to a dungeon. That is sort of annoying.

The one thing that people do that REALLY mystifies me is when they block off areas of their houses so no one can enter. Does it really matter? You are the only one who can manipulate items in your home so it is not like they can take something or move things around. Some will block off areas so others can not use the gorilla or genie. What is the harm? It is not like they are taking something you could have gotten. That really has me scratching my head.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 80 Life

Survivor
Jun 30, 2011
what you are seeing is more common than you think, it's a type of glitch that strikes without warning, how do i know you ask? it happened to me one day a month back for some unexplained reason my mount stopped then started spinning it would'nt let me dismount or anything so i logged off waited a few minutes then logged back on and i was okay then and so far it has'nt happened again . but i've come across lots of others like this or even ownerless pets roaming around which is weird too

Shanna fireheart archmage pyromancer

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
I had one doing it in the middle of the Cave of Solitude. Now that was disconcerting. o.O

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
vonawesome1 wrote:
QueQueg wrote:

Hmm.

I agree about the random spinning people (whom I first discovered in Marleybone, lol)... I have no idea what they're doing, or what it means; I once asked one what she was doing, and got no reply. It's like some weird wizarding flash-mob.

Yeah, with all those cats and dogs, no wonder I itch, eh?

People do the spinny thingy because they don't want to disconnect from the game while they're doing stuff away from their computer for a long period of time. I saw one wizard spinning in Celestia, then I went to bed, and when I logged in again the next day, she was still spinning after at least 12 hours! LOL

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
I don't understand why people spin right in the walkways or dungeon entrance either. I do it on ocassion, but off to the side or I just port home. Another thing I wish people would think about is dismounting off those huge mounts while at the sigils for the pet games. I've seen people spin there too and on the big mounts at that!

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:
QueQueg wrote:

Hmm.

I use that spin technique as and "Away From Keyboard" (afk) Mechanism.

A lot of people do it for the same exact purpose. Thats why they dont say a word.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
QueQueg wrote:
vonawesome1 wrote:
QueQueg wrote:

Hmm.

Yeah, with all those cats and dogs, no wonder I itch, eh?

People do the spinny thingy because they don't want to disconnect from the game while they're doing stuff away from their computer for a long period of time. I saw one wizard spinning in Celestia, then I went to bed, and when I logged in again the next day, she was still spinning after at least 12 hours! LOL

12 hours? And I thought the 30 minutes of spinning in Mooshu was long.

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
what you are seeing is more common than you think, it's a type of glitch that strikes without warning, how do i know you ask? it happened to me one day a month back for some unexplained reason my mount stopped then started spinning it would'nt let me dismount or anything so i logged off waited a few minutes then logged back on and i was okay then and so far it has'nt happened again . but i've come across lots of others like this or even ownerless pets roaming around which is weird too

Shanna fireheart archmage pyromancer

Shanna, as QueQueg clarified, there is a combination of keystrokes you do to set your wizard into a spin. I think it's ctrl+shift+left arrow button (maybe alt+...). I have used this feature before when i have had an episode of W101 and W101-Test open, as I like to stay connected to my friends in the live realm while playing in test (for example), but don't want to get disconnected from that episode of the game.

It could very well be possible, Shanna, that you may have struck a combination of these keys that sent your wizard into a spin. Hitting the right arrow (or possibly any arrow, except left) should stop the spin, however.

As for the ownerless pets: I have seen this, too. I have also experienced "invisible" friends, but been able to see their pet. I believe this is a glitch with some gear, that while equipped renders the wizard invisible to some of their friends and others. Its strange.

But yeah, QueQueg, you've got me scratching my head too when it comes to the places some wizards choose to leave their wizard in that state. Like, really? I've made sure I was either in my home, or off to the side, or in a commons area (off to the side), as a courtesy to others. It's a silly place to leave a wizard, right where they'd be blocking other wizards from their play and also placing themselves at risk of being pulled into battle!

Destiny/Destiny SpiritGiver
Archmage Necromancer/Transcendent Theurgist and Sorcerer

Delver
Apr 10, 2010

My sister stitched some gear once that rendered her wizard invisible only to my wizard! I ported to her and couldn't see her. I then phoned her and asked what was going on. lol We both would go to other wizards and ask them if they could see her. They all could! stranger and stranger.
She contacted Support and tried all they suggested, but as long as those stitched clothes were in her wizard's possesion, my wizard couldn't see her.
It was "interesting" to take on Crimson Fields on foot so I could track her by watching her little storm demon pet she had with her. I couldn't see her any other way; when she was on her mount, nope, she was invisible to me. lol
Finally, when her wizard "outgrew" that outfit and changed gear, I could see her again.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Yes, owner-less pets is another one that has me scratching my head. I'm sure it's a glitch, but when I see one standing all by itself, I just want to take it home and care for it. Like it's lonely and stands there, hoping someone will notice. Makes me sad ....

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
From my basic "psychological" understanding as to how things go, I think people deliberately spin in the midst of everything to either show off, or because they simply think too highly of themselves to care.

Another theory is, they simply don't think there is anything wrong with that. In which case, they either don't care, or they simply have not learned that their actions can affect others. (Regardless of magnitute or whether it is physical or mental.)

That players don't care is unfortunate. But a sad, ever present part of human life as it has yet to evolve.