Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are they still eligible for report?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 24, 2009
I reported many people in my time

I also reported many open chatters in my time

I reported a few open chatters today..and this question came up in my head. If they say it around the filters, or say it in general, Are they still eligible for report?

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
advtech wrote:

I reported a few open chatters today..and this question came up in my head. If they say it around the filters, or say it in general, Are they still eligible for report?

Yes. Violations are violations whether they are being "creative" or not. :)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
advtech wrote:

First of all, it depends on what you reported them for. Because open chat still blocks profanity, I can only assume that they would be sanctioned for anything that violates the Terms of Use (ToU).

From the text-chat tutorial at the beginning of the game: words that are valid are white~ yellow text means that only 18+ can see it (which means it's not reportable), and anything banned by the filter appears red.

If you have open chat~ remember, you opted into it, and what we see isn't what text/menu-chat players see. For example, "goodnight" in open chat would appear as "..." to text or menu-chatters; we have a wider vocab available, and can type numbers, but we are the only ones who can see them. Should you wish to disable open chat, you can do so from your account settings.

In future, be very careful about what you report~ I'm all for reporting those who break rules, but there's a lot that is not considered reportable and will see your account sanctioned for false reporting.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Yes. From the FAQ found on the Help and Support tab to the left.

"We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use."
Megan

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
advtech wrote:

Yes. KI does not tolerate it in any form anywhere. If a person is in their home and is talking just to themselves, if they swear, they can still be muted or banned. KI logs all chat and if they decide to go through a persons logs and find it, that person is subject to any sanction KI chooses. Professor Greyrose has addressed this issue before.

If you have not read the Terms of Use, do so. But at any rate, when you see it, report it.

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I have reported a few folks in my day also. All for their "creative" way to curse. I do my best to be sure that I'm reporting the one who was being offensive.

I attempted to hang out in Wu realm for a few minutes last night. I have to say that it was difficult to be absolutely sure of the ones who I reported. The chat window was flying! I do believe my virtual ears were bleeding from all the creative profanity and this was after only a few minutes!

For those who want to tell us to get over it because it happens in real life daily, think about this.....We may play this game just to get away from this busy, mean old reality and have a little stress free fun for a while. We don't want to have to put up with foulness in a game thats based for all ages. Plus, cursing doesn't make you an adult.

Defender
Jul 27, 2009
I don't have open chat but one time i reported a open chatter because i asked my friend if they said a bad word and she said yes so i don't even think text chat people should see "..." i think the entire thing shouldn't show up cause it also gets annoying if someone says something as like this.

I am level ... and i am in the world avalon on the ... part and on the ... boss that has ... health

Or stuff like that just saying.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
userchap wrote:
I don't have open chat but one time i reported a open chatter because i asked my friend if they said a bad word and she said yes...

Does your friend have open chat? If she doesn't, and lied to you about what that person said, it's likely that /your/ account will be sanctioned for filing a false report.

userchap wrote:
...so i don't even think text chat people should see "..." i think the entire thing shouldn't show up cause it also gets annoying if someone says something as like this.

I am level ... and i am in the world avalon on the ... part and on the ... boss that has ... health

"..."

^ This doesn't mean that what the person said was reportable. It simply means that the word is not in the text-chat dictionary~ open chat has a much more expansive dictionary than text does, so don't assume that those dots are curse-words.

And yeah, the scenario you mentioned is aggravating. But there are wayss around it, for non-open chatters:

"I am level seventh ty for, in the Outer Yard (for example) in Avalon, on a rank ninth boss with tenth thousand health."

A good alternative to that whole mess would be to block numbers in combination with each other, or with certain trigger-words/proper names... but we should not have to creatively bypass the filter to share stats that are relevant in-game. It's like Neopets, where a lot of in-game item names are disallowed by the filter. Even as a preventative measure, it's silly, and over the top.

-El Veeb

Defender
Apr 24, 2009
userchap wrote:
I don't have open chat but one time i reported a open chatter because i asked my friend if they said a bad word and she said yes so i don't even think text chat people should see "..." i think the entire thing shouldn't show up cause it also gets annoying if someone says something as like this.

How? If you dont have open chat, you cannot see what other open chatters are saying

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
OK, I have a new question that I think needs the advice of Professor Greyrose or any other staff member.

Last night I was in Wu realm for a short time and noticed a couple of the players using a combination of letters in place of the words outright.

EX: WT_ and OM_G. ( if this is not allowed I ask the Moderator to please edit and remove these from this post) There is no other way I can think of to explain what I am getting at. In my books this is still profanity and should be reportable.

I did not report either of these players but sure did want to. I don't know but I think text chatters can probably see this and it does not take a genius to figure them out.

KI please respond to this, as I think this is going to be the new trend for profanity in the game.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
goldendragon18 wrote:
OK, I have a new question that I think needs the advice of Professor Greyrose or any other staff member.

Last night I was in Wu realm for a short time and noticed a couple of the players using a combination of letters in place of the words outright.

EX: WT_ and OM_G. ( if this is not allowed I ask the Moderator to please edit and remove these from this post) There is no other way I can think of to explain what I am getting at. In my books this is still profanity and should be reportable.

I did not report either of these players but sure did want to. I don't know but I think text chatters can probably see this and it does not take a genius to figure them out.

KI please respond to this, as I think this is going to be the new trend for profanity in the game.

Professor Greyrose, Please give an answer to this issue. It is showing up more and more in the game and seems that it is leaving us with a "grey area" for reporting profanity.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
What I have found, is that the majority of the time, I give a warning and most young wizards do stop any colorful language.

Usually, when they start using obvious abbreviations, I state:

"Watch the Language young Wizards"

This generally makes them think twice, although, there are some stubborn individuals that continue on, and they try to get even more creative, thinking they are cool or showing off to their friends. Those will obviously get reported.

Even had some say that reporters are nothing but lame snitches.

I gave a private reply stating, "Actually, they are parents that are trying to keep this game safe for kids"

Not once did anyone reply back with any negative or snide remarks.

Some kids just feel that they are showing off or think they are cool by using foul language, but when confronted, they know they are wrong.

Reporting for excessive use is a good thing, but remember, nobody is perfect, kids and even adults show off from time to time, so it does not hurt to give a warning, private or a community warning.

Just food for thought.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
darthjt wrote:
What I have found, is that the majority of the time, I give a warning and most young wizards do stop any colorful language.

Usually, when they start using obvious abbreviations, I state:

"Watch the Language young Wizards"

This generally makes them think twice, although, there are some stubborn individuals that continue on, and they try to get even more creative, thinking they are cool or showing off to their friends. Those will obviously get reported.

Even had some say that reporters are nothing but lame snitches.

I gave a private reply stating, "Actually, they are parents that are trying to keep this game safe for kids"

Not once did anyone reply back with any negative or snide remarks.

Some kids just feel that they are showing off or think they are cool by using foul language, but when confronted, they know they are wrong.

Reporting for excessive use is a good thing, but remember, nobody is perfect, kids and even adults show off from time to time, so it does not hurt to give a warning, private or a community warning.

Just food for thought.

Warning them is fine and I may go back to trying it again, but we are still dealing with some that are changing how they are swearing, such as using the first letter of certain words or even completely innocent words but meaning it for a swear.

You can tell when they do this because the phrases they are coming up with make absolutely no sense. So what I am asking is, how do we go about dealing with this? It is a grey area. None of us wants to make a false report but we also don't want these players thinking that by being creative in this fashion gives them an open door to turning the whole chat system into a new swearing tool.

After what I saw from a couple of them last night, this is exactly what they are doing or switching to a foreign language in some cases. One player even went so far to say that if it is not in English, it is not swearing. Unfortunately, in my books, this is wrong and although I have not had to hear it in many years, my stepfather was a full blood Cherokee and also knew spanish very well. I heard enough of this growing up, so I can actually read some of it and don't appreciate it anymore than I do in English.

Since this game is expanding around the world so fast, these same issue are going to come up some where else. I just hope those players will try as hard as some of us are to keep the game clean for their kids/families.

If we can't get it cleaned up in W101, What will be the ramifications when P101 is released? I seriously hope that the adults playing that game will help keep it clean as well. Even though the projected age group will be a little higher on P101, it should still be just as important.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
goldendragon writes: EX: WT_ and OM_G. ( if this is not allowed I ask the Moderator to please edit and remove these from this post) There is no other way I can think of to explain what I am getting at. In my books this is still profanity and should be reportable.

That's one of the gray areas I've been trying to figure out. Everyone knows what it means, but is it reportable as swearing?

.... switching to a foreign language in some cases. One player even went so far to say that if it is not in English, it is not swearing.

I've been seeing that more and more. Luckily, I know some Spanish, and I can speak Japanese, Russian, French and German (I used to speak them fluently, but I'm a bit rusty these days). I've reported some very offensive foreign language swearing, or extreme sex-type talk.

I wish KI would let some of us, as liaisons, contact someone directly, to work out what is considered reportable or not, exactly.

A task force, per se

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
My way of thinking of stopping and decreasing creative profanity is:
suppose orange was a curse word: (It isnt but I am not using any profanity as an example for the sake of any children reading)
They could type:
orange" OR òrange (Most keyboards are capable, people just cant figure out how)
They use the accent, or put the mark at the end. They can also use [ , ~, `, | , _ , numbers, and some others.
Now, I wont give out how to make the little accents, as it requires either, a french keyboard, or, I wont give out my way, ahaha(: I have taught it to a few of my friends, but only those I trust. I still havent taught mkt ;) (I have him added...)

Anyways, just make those count the same way as !, . , and all other marks. Thats just my voice in it :)

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
QueQueg wrote:
goldendragon writes: EX: WT_ and OM_G. ( if this is not allowed I ask the Moderator to please edit and remove these from this post) There is no other way I can think of to explain what I am getting at. In my books this is still profanity and should be reportable.

That's one of the gray areas I've been trying to figure out. Everyone knows what it means, but is it reportable as swearing?

.... switching to a foreign language in some cases. One player even went so far to say that if it is not in English, it is not swearing.

I've been seeing that more and more. Luckily, I know some Spanish, and I can speak Japanese, Russian, French and German (I used to speak them fluently, but I'm a bit rusty these days). I've reported some very offensive foreign language swearing, or extreme sex-type talk.

I wish KI would let some of us, as liaisons, contact someone directly, to work out what is considered reportable or not, exactly. A task force, per se

I am so glad you are better at foreign language than I am. I have not heard this kind of junk in almost 40 years so I am more rusty than you.

I agree, we need to get the terms set down to firm and tight, that there is no way, the offenders can miss it. Yes. we do need some direct contact with KI and we need a way on this site to contact each other. I understand KI's safety precautions and agree 100%, but if we are to be effective in this quest, we do need that contact. It would help us be able to communicate in the game so we all knew who was where and be able to move around where needed the most.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
QueQueg wrote:

I wish KI would let some of us, as liaisons, contact someone directly, to work out what is considered reportable or not, exactly.

A task force, per se

This is a great idea. You would've had a field day, if you'd seen some of the stuff I reported the other night. x___x

As for the foreign language swearing, that seems to be gaining momentum these days as well. In addition to English, I speak French and Italian fluently and have a moderate understanding of Spanish and Czech (enough that I know a bad word when I see one, LOL). But it's the sex-talk that really bothers me... Yes, I'm a big girl and can handle it, but I don't see what place that kind of stuff has in a family game.

Just another of the many things we seem to have in common, QueQueg. ;)