Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Need help with Cards

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 09, 2012
Is there an in depth guide somewhere to the cards? I don't understand why my cards are always grayed out? I'm a level 19 and I can't use most of my cards...I get by on a hope and a pray and a lot of luck. But I've reached a level where that luck isn't helping any more. Why are cards that I can use in one battle grayed out in another (even of the same entity)???

Help me please....or direct me to something I can read that will help.\

Administrator
Our player guide may be of some help, young Wizard, and I'm sure our wonderfully helpful community will chime in here as well.

When you enter into a duel with another player or with a monster, your card deck will appear in the middle of the screen.

Move your mouse cursor over these cards to learn more about them. But beware, the timer is counting down!

Cards that appear in color can be cast.
Cards that appear greyed out cannot be cast yet because you either do not have enough pips or do not have enough mana, or both.

A spell card has many different pieces of information. The picture below shows some of the things you can understand about a spell just by looking at the card.

community@wizard101.com
Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
elzaspook wrote:
Is there an in depth guide somewhere to the cards? I don't understand why my cards are always grayed out? I'm a level 19 and I can't use most of my cards...I get by on a hope and a pray and a lot of luck. But I've reached a level where that luck isn't helping any more. Why are cards that I can use in one battle grayed out in another (even of the same entity)???

Help me please....or direct me to something I can read that will help.\

Pretty early on Diego on Unicorn Way gives a short tutorial on this, actually Ambros touches on it also when you first start your wizard. It's all in the pips. To access higher ranked spell cards you must wait for them. You can use a wand spell, blade, trap or shield in the mean time, these are all zero pip and mana spells.

Pips are the dots by your wizards feet and each card has a number in the corner that tells you how many you need. Mana is also needed to cast spells - what a spell costs in pips it costs in Mana too - the blue ball to the left of your screen and the white wisps you can collect to fill it back up. It is wise to fill up on health and mana after each fight so you are prepared for the next one.

Defender
May 19, 2012
I just want to point out that not all wand spells are 0 pip and 0 mana spells. If you're using a wand that has a variety of spells, one for each school of magic, chances are the spells cost mana and pips. Be sure to find a wand for your level that uses 0 mana and pips, as you will find it comes in very handy for building up your pip count, breaking shields on monsters (Tower shield or shield for the school that the wand is for only), and for breaking weakness that a monster has cast on you.

I use a wand for another school than my own, so I don't break my blades and traps that I need for a big attack spell. My favorite wand so far is the one you get with the Fantasy Palace bundle, as it includes a 0 mana/pip cost spell, one for each school of magic. With it, I can break any shields as long as the spell comes up for me. Unfortunately, my storm wizard has outgrown it and moved on to the wand I got from the Sultan's Palace bundle instead. The stats on the new wand outweigh the usefulness of the spells on the other.