Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spells that should be banned from PVP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
Death: Beguile. If death happen to go first in a match, it can be a very irritating one. Minus the fact they can give you all those weaknesses when your all ready to hit, they can beguile you causing you to attack your teammates or heal their team. Its honestly getting ridiculous and in a 4v4 its hard to determine when or not a death will use beguile, if they're sly about it.

Myth: Earthquake. There is another myth spell that removes all shields from an enemy, I feel that is enough, Earthquake is pushing it. And again, this is one spell that is greatly effective for those who go first in a match.

Life: Guardian Angel ( I think thats what its called?) When you kill someone, they should remain dead unless healed by their team. And now it can critical as well for 30% health back instead of just 15%.

Critical on heal- When a life has 55% incoming plus 40% outgoing, them criticaling on a heal pretty much resets the game.

I don't feel I touched everything but I got the ones that bother me the most.

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
That is not very nice. Players are complaining about stuff all the time and honestly. Complain is the real thing that I think should be against the rules. Many people certainly may disagree that those should be changed. What I think should be done is that there should be something made called Custom PvP. Take a look at this topic if you would like to see the full idea.
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/49441.ftl
Summary about the idea
Basically a player can customize PvP matches to allow certain things or not allow certain things. If they do not want healing, then they can not allow any type of heal for that match. And in this idea, they can also chose whether or not certain spells allowed. A player could select the 25% Guardian spirit as allowable, the 15% percent Guardian spirit as allowable, or not allow it in the match. This is separate from regular PvP and in regular PvP all the current elements of the game apply.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
All of these are no big deal and can be easily avoid, well except for earthquake, but your still taking away one of their only AOEs. I kinda agree with beguile, well at least the tc beguiles should be banned anyways.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Hello there.
Beguile has its limits. You want these spells banned because they are "annoying"? Look, I've been hit with beguile when my partner, or in this case my minion cast humungofrog, an AoE spell. And it only hit me. So there are limits to beguile and requires strict timing. Of all the spells to want removed, beguile isn't such a problem, just pass for a round! Treat it like a stun. Don't worry about your teammates if you cast a storm lord when being hit by beguile, the only one in danger would be you it seems. At least, as far as the very first round is concerned if you are going second.

Earthquake. Come on, this thing costs six pips, removes all charms, even negative ones. It is a very situational spell that isn't too good to spam anymore because of aura spells and enchants. Earthquake's usefulness has already been watered down by many game changes. It doesn't even remove stun shields anymore and is barely a heavy hitting attack. There isn't enough that can be said about how earth just doesn't live up to its potential anymore and if I were to provide examples to why it isn't a make or break spell for damage boosts, I'd run out of text.

Critical heals are definitely annoying, the best you can do is spam infections and time your hits to work out back to back heavy hits to take out your opponent.

Delver
Oct 05, 2010
Beguile : Get over it because plagues and beguiles death don't have strong enough moves to destroy the opposing team. Just time your attacks and heals well.

Guardian Angel : Get a doom and gloom and stop complaining it works even better in teams.

Critical heal : Infections and gloom and life dispels can prevent these so seriously you need to stop complaining.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
CorbinW wrote:
Hello there.
Beguile has its limits. You want these spells banned because they are "annoying"? Look, I've been hit with beguile when my partner, or in this case my minion cast humungofrog, an AoE spell. And it only hit me. So there are limits to beguile and requires strict timing. Of all the spells to want removed, beguile isn't such a problem, just pass for a round! Treat it like a stun. Don't worry about your teammates if you cast a storm lord when being hit by beguile, the only one in danger would be you it seems. At least, as far as the very first round is concerned if you are going second.

Earthquake. Come on, this thing costs six pips, removes all charms, even negative ones. It is a very situational spell that isn't too good to spam anymore because of aura spells and enchants. Earthquake's usefulness has already been watered down by many game changes. It doesn't even remove stun shields anymore and is barely a heavy hitting attack. There isn't enough that can be said about how earth just doesn't live up to its potential anymore and if I were to provide examples to why it isn't a make or break spell for damage boosts, I'd run out of text.

Critical heals are definitely annoying, the best you can do is spam infections and time your hits to work out back to back heavy hits to take out your opponent.

Beguile is only ineffective if it is cast by the person who goes first in a match. However if it cast on a someone who goes second, the person cant necessarily see it coming and so doesn't know to pass.

Earthquake is still very useful in transcended/archmage duels if you havent been in those for a while. If the person that goes first in a duel can cast earthquake, all those who go 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are now free to hit without worrying about shields which is spammed frequently in higher level duels. Now the opposite team is nearly dying if the other people were able to attack successfully and they cannot do significant enough damage as before to put the other team in the same position as them as they have lost all their blades as well. Earthquake doesn't really disadvantage the caster's team except for dispels. traps aren't really used anymore as pvp's circle around hit all spells. I might have been unclear but I meant to specify this post for 4v4 pvp

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
TheDarkestMask wrote:
Beguile : Get over it because plagues and beguiles death don't have strong enough moves to destroy the opposing team. Just time your attacks and heals well.

Guardian Angel : Get a doom and gloom and stop complaining it works even better in teams.

Critical heal : Infections and gloom and life dispels can prevent these so seriously you need to stop complaining.

I dont really understand your opposition to beguile. Death can boost their attacks well enough to be fearsome, and with heals you can be smart about healing, but you still dont know when exactly a death will cast beguile so it's impossible to work around it.

You seem to forget doom and gloom works against your team as well, so its unreasonable to cast doom and gloom just because a life casted guardian angel

And concerning critical heal, life dispels only work when you go first in a match, other than that a life will simply remove the dispel then heal, and with infections, pets remove most of those so unless you can spam those like crazy your out of luck. And finally with doom and gloom, as I stated before it disadvantages your team as well and its unreasonable to cast one just to prevent the effectiveness of a critical heal.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
The only spell that I think should be banned, well actually 2 spells, is wild bolt and insane bolt. Storm is powerful enough and I know its a chance spell on both, and I know the spammers have been cut considerably down since the GH and Wt spells came out. But most storm wizards can do close to 1000 damage with storm bats which is also a 2 pip spell. Taking those two cards out would not make them weaker as a school if nothing else it would make them stronger, as insane bolt (I have heard rumor that this one was taken out already, but it has found its way back in a few times) kills them most of the time anyways. Last I think minions should be taken out of 1v1 battles. This one I am sure will cause an up roar for some, but if you want help in a battle go to 2v2!!!! At the moment and if any one has ever fought Pyromancer Ethan Drake I have them in my deck but loath using them, and only do it to contend with others who use them.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
rexfire10 wrote:
Hello there.

Beguile is only ineffective if it is cast by the person who goes first in a match. However if it cast on a someone who goes second, the person cant necessarily see it coming and so doesn't know to pass.

That is exactly how it is for any spell when someone is going second. And as I mentioned in my post, if you are hit by beguile going second and do cast an AoE spell, the only one in danger is you. your team will not take the hit. I have seen this myself when hit by a humungofrog from my Talos.

It is just too selfish to want such a spell banned because you can't see it coming. That is basically what you are calling for here. It doesn't matter if it is 4v4, 3v3, etc.

Earthquake is still very useful in transcended/archmage duels if you havent been in those for a while. If the person that goes first in a duel can cast earthquake, all those who go 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are now free to hit without worrying about shields which is spammed frequently in higher level duels.

Good! Earthquake is doing exactly what it should be doing for your team, sweeping your opponent off of their feet and leaving them open for your partners to strike. It is working as it should be for the most part. As with beguile, there isn't a fair complaint here to want this spell removed from PvP.

Reconsider your reasons for wanting these spells banned and try to think of how the player using these spells might feel. These two spells, like any other, are not win or lose by themselves and your annoyance to them is not a fair reason for excluding these from PvP.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
rexfire10 wrote:
Death: Beguile. If death happen to go first in a match, it can be a very irritating one. Minus the fact they can give you all those weaknesses when your all ready to hit, they can beguile you causing you to attack your teammates or heal their team. Its honestly getting ridiculous and in a 4v4 its hard to determine when or not a death will use beguile, if they're sly about it.

Myth: Earthquake. There is another myth spell that removes all shields from an enemy, I feel that is enough, Earthquake is pushing it. And again, this is one spell that is greatly effective for those who go first in a match.

Life: Guardian Angel ( I think thats what its called?) When you kill someone, they should remain dead unless healed by their team. And now it can critical as well for 30% health back instead of just 15%.

Critical on heal- When a life has 55% incoming plus 40% outgoing, them criticaling on a heal pretty much resets the game.

Soultion: Death dispel. Life dispel. Myth dispel. Etc.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
rexfire10 wrote:

One word: Restrategize. I can beat these spells. Guardian Spirit is tricky, but doable. So unfortunately, I must disagree. Strongly.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2011
Well if you ask me then yes it is very annoying. However it makes game more fun I mean you not only got to think but also guess your opponents moves that makes your mind work better and with a time you'll get more expirience with it, it's very fun, well this game is created for those who like some fun stuff without rudness and all those bad things.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Lathias wrote:
The only spell that I think should be banned, well actually 2 spells, is wild bolt and insane bolt. Storm is powerful enough and I know its a chance spell on both, and I know the spammers have been cut considerably down since the GH and Wt spells came out. But most storm wizards can do close to 1000 damage with storm bats which is also a 2 pip spell. Taking those two cards out would not make them weaker as a school if nothing else it would make them stronger, as insane bolt (I have heard rumor that this one was taken out already, but it has found its way back in a few times) kills them most of the time anyways. Last I think minions should be taken out of 1v1 battles. This one I am sure will cause an up roar for some, but if you want help in a battle go to 2v2!!!! At the moment and if any one has ever fought Pyromancer Ethan Drake I have them in my deck but loath using them, and only do it to contend with others who use them.
I, personally don't spam the spells. But I do find them useful. I disagree very strongly.

Survivor
Oct 24, 2010
rexfire10 wrote:

Why is everybody complaining about Guardian Spirit. Healing is life's specialty. And besides, satyr will work just as well on a defeated player. If you take out GS you might as well take out all the other school's specialties (example: take out dots from fire and shielding from ice). This is just my opinion. I don't Pvp much so I don't know how you guys really feel about it.

Hero
May 02, 2009
So basically because they bother you allot you want them removed from pvp. Each spell has its strengths and weaknesses. With beguile, its really only useful if your going first and you think your opponent is gonna use an aoe spell.

Earthquake, though it removes all postivite charms and wards, it removes the negative ones too.

For guaridan spirit, though it revives the defeated player, they get revive with few pips and no major offenses or defenses, and can be taken out easily if you time your spells correctly.

Bottom line, removing spells from pvp is not the solution, but in fact makes the problems even worse than they are now.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
How about we just ban rude people and whinners? As the banner in my house states there is no whinning in PVP :?

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
alex132444 wrote:
How about we just ban rude people and whinners? As the banner in my house states there is no whinning in PVP :?

You cant just do that as annoying as they may seem. These message boards and W101 central are the voices of the community and they need to be heard

Survivor
Dec 24, 2009
Lathias wrote:

Time for a lesson about Storm and minions.

1. "Storm is powerful enough...."

HAH! Storm in pvp right now is facing being useless against ice, and its low health means that it is suffering badly. Now you say that they can do 1000 damage with storm bats, wild bolt and insane bolt are not necessary? By the time they have enough to do 1000 with bats, the other person would wipe them out completely before they even get to cast and fizzle! And the fact that you state that this removal would make them stronger? They can't even do decent damage now with any spell! Storm is already having problems being the school that deals the most damage, so just give them a big break. If any school needs to be nerfed, its ice.

2."Minions should be taken out of 1v1."

You say that if you want help, go to 2v2? Then now you are nerfing myth, which is completely unneccessary. Minions are to help wizards in their battle, and if it is 1v1, minions can be the deciding factor whether you win in a battle, or lose. Let me give you a true fact about this. Mr Jodd Coleman, creator of Wizard101, fought in a battle with Angel Dragongem, one of the best (If not best) wizards in the game. Angel Dragongem summoned an ice guardian and the minion helped him beat Jodd 1v1, kind of making history. Did Jodd say "Oh, angel's minion helped him win, minions should be banned, it was not fair."? He did not, in fact, he congratulated angel because he beat him. Removing minions would never happen even if most people were against them, because minions serve to help the wizard, and they balance out their damage incase they don't do much damage, so they atleast have a chance against high levels.

So there you have it, post any opinions on my post, and next time, make sure you post something that makes sence.

David ShadowWalker, level 42 myth.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
bionaknight wrote:
rexfire10 wrote:

One word: Restrategize. I can beat these spells. Guardian Spirit is tricky, but doable. So unfortunately, I must disagree. Strongly.

I agree with you knight..Ban earthquake? Is someone having trouble blading up?..lol
Earthquake is an important spell for schools without a low pip DoT, pretty much thier only hope of breaking shields besides shatter and would unbalance the game if it were removed (strange how you didn't mention 3 pip shatter at all as that seems to be more of an issue, again counterable). It's easier to complain about a spell but much more rewarding if you can learn how to counter it, you can't just expect Kingsisle to take everything out of pvp that gives you the smallest challenge.

Defender
May 15, 2010
Stop complaining now! Kingsisle has a tendency to listen more to PvP than PvE. Taking out minions and Earthquake. Come on, have a mind. This would kill myth.

Defender
Apr 26, 2009
wizardgirl1840 wrote:
rexfire10 wrote:

Soultion: Death dispel. Life dispel. Myth dispel. Etc.

Bingo! Our problems are solved, now was that hard?

Explorer
Dec 12, 2010
Even though some of my pvp friends use some of those spells, I do agree in some terms. I know I am a Captain and might use some of them but I think we need to start with some limits.

-Savvy DeathHunter Lvl 24 Life Pvp Captain 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)