Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Perhaps Guardian Spirit Is Not So Bad?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Oct 05, 2010
Well today I was PvP'ing with my life and I went against a balance. At first things were going my way I quickly got a gnome on him with infallible, spear, life blade, and spirit blade + colossal. Got him to 886 health ( basically I did like 3,600 damage ) so he begins to shield and I cast guardian spirit seeing as I thought I was in the safe zone. Then I remembered most balance carried availing hands and he cast two that quickly brought him back to a comfort zone in health. Seeing I could not easily defeat this opponent I began spamming infections at him and began to build up blades,shields, attacks, and pips. He eventually cast spectral minion and brought an ice guardian to aid him. The ice guardian basically just broke through my shields and I allowed him and the minion to do nearly 2,000 damage then I began to heal because I wanted to tire him out and waste all his spells. Even though I was going first I could not use my gnome and shatter combo easily. Why you ask? Mana Burn. Mana Burn was used effectively as he saw that when I got too close to the needed amount of pips he cast it and cut me off. Luckily enough I brought life minions to help me. He destroyed the ice guardian broke through my enemies shields and allowed me to prepare for an attack. Around this time the balance cast doom and gloom. I did not change it immediately seeing as this would only waste pips and time as he will counter with another gloom. I managed to get a decent hit on him but not exactly powerful enough because I did not have infallible and he cast weakness on me. It got him down to 2,000 health by this time I was about 2,600 health. Then he killed my minion with a judgement ( he used 12 pips killing it which was a huge waste I thought this gave me a great boost ). I did not heal or shield to eagerly seeing as I had guardian spirit and enough bubble changers to keep me alive. But without my minion I was stuck in the same rut. I basically discarded a lot of treasures and all of my reshuffles ( I forgot I only had two and this is probably what eventually destroyed me ). I managed to get one gnome on him to get him to about 1,000 health and then he began to heal using availing hands and even got a critical he got to about 2,000 health and this is when I brought again my life minion ( last one too ). Using it I got him to about 1,000 health after a series of heals and attacks. He then killed the minion with spectral blast and I was stuck at bay since he could now easily stack shields and prevented my shatter and gnome combo. Because I was too eager to find shatters I deleted all my useful treasures ( I was extremely desperate at the moment ) and I was stuck with only a few moves. Eventually after I revived I lost because of my stubborness and overconfidence to change the bubble, a great strategy that payed off, and my mistake when I deleted my reshuffle. This was the first battle where I lost using guardian spirit on my life. When I see most life use this spell I see them not even bothering with shields or heals and slacking off in the battle. My advice is this : Time your shields and weaknesses to keep the life from destroying you. Pack doom and glooms and time them when the life is about 1,000 health away from death. Take advantage of your opponents mistake and you'll realize guardian spirit isn't as overpowered as most people think it just takes a redo of strategy. This is not only helpful for balance but many others since now they can see how overconfident life get when they use this spell and hopefully incorporate this in their decks and for this reason many have been able to overcome the guardian spirit dilemma. Its not a bad move trust me, its just time to for a deck change for every school so they can finally get used to archmage PvP. Besides the doom and gloom thing, you can also stack blades and pips and try to get a major move on the life and possibly/hopefully kill them before they can use guardian spirit again. Please do not tell me the only reason the balance won was cause you made too many mistakes or w.e because sincerely even with reshuffle I still wouldn't have won because a satyr under his doom and gloom was only 800 health which he could easily take out with mana burn or judge or spectral. I used to despise the guardian spirit and thought of it as immortality spell that was nearly impossible to counter but its really not that hard I can see how a glance at this spell would make others think that way but after you've used it and PvPed against it, anything can be overcomed it just takes three things : preparation, skill, and a dash of luck and you'll win PvP most of the time. To me the main reason people have complained about guardian spirit is because most of them were not prepared at all as in did not even stack blades or save pips and some didn't use gloom, its a new world and its a new PvP style get used to it for every new world will bring a change to PvP.

-TheDarkestMask Archmage Death and Life Wizard.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
TheDarkestMask,

Yes, you played a slow and relaxed game, and you lost, most Life won't do that. Plus you played against a Balance, that the Life dispels can be ignored, if wanted. Add to that, you didn't take care of the flaw in Mana Burn, and it all would add up to a loss.
Doom and Gloom is a TC for most, and once you run out, you will lose the match, Myth, Ice, Balance, etc. I have played three Life's now, and not one didnt' bring out their Aura to shut down D&G on me. The last wizard had it on Elucidate, so it was only one pip to cast.
I'm sorry, I still see this spell as too overpowered for most in the game.
I have watched a lot of matches, and had three of my own. If the Life has any idea of how to PvP, they will win the match.
Having Life at the top of the food chain is not my issue. Life having a great spell is not my issue. If Life was given a spell that allowed DOT or shift, or anything it would be fine.
Giving Life a way to turtle and extend the game beyound reason is why I dislike this spell so much. The heal boost are extreme for life, it's hard enough to stop them, and now it's almost absurb.

Joe.