Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crit block?

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
How does it work? My level 78 Balance wizard has a block rating of 87 across the board, but no longer blocks Storm. Why is this?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:
How does it work? My level 78 Balance wizard has a block rating of 87 across the board, but no longer blocks Storm. Why is this?

Storm naturally has a higher Critical attack rating (most of their gear anyway). Critical numbers do two things they higher they are.

1.) Allow you to Crit (attack or block) more often.

2.) Determine if you are successful in blocking or attacking your opponent's critical stats (a higher critical attack rating than a critical block will usually result in less critical blocks, no matter what the "blockers" stat number is). This is why most Avalon enemies are blocking most players critical attacks. The Avalon enemies have a higher critical block rating than Celestia and Zafaria enemies.

Additionally, some bosses have maxxed Critical Block so you can never critical against them.

I'm not 100% on the above information, since KI has not released any official documentation outlying the critical system (lots of theories and guesses by the community).

Defender
May 30, 2010
critical block is used to block a "critical attack." the higher your block the better chance you will block it. storm does so much damage that you really need a high critical block to block it more then restg of the schools. i have a critical block for fire of like 150ish cause the people i faught is fire that critical. have gear esp. for the school ya battling, it helps

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I was having that problem starting around your level. It wasn't just storm, it was all the schools. Over and over again, I would get hit with critical and didn't block. My block rating was 97 across the board when I started Avalon, but with some crafted gear, and switching things around, I managed a block rating of 155-157 (depending on switched gear at the time), and STILL didn't get critical block.

Yet the bosses crit block every time, and a lot of the street thugs blocked as well.

Sometimes I wonder WHY we even have critical, if (1) critical seems to be very rare (even at my rating of 130-155 depending on gear at the time), and (2) it's blocked by bosses all the time, and street thugs most of the time.

Rowan Dragonstrider
Proud Archmage Sorceress
"The Ultimate Spaz"

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
QueQueg wrote:
I was having that problem starting around your level. It wasn't just storm, it was all the schools. Over and over again, I would get hit with critical and didn't block. My block rating was 97 across the board when I started Avalon, but with some crafted gear, and switching things around, I managed a block rating of 155-157 (depending on switched gear at the time), and STILL didn't get critical block.

Yet the bosses crit block every time, and a lot of the street thugs blocked as well.

Sometimes I wonder WHY we even have critical, if (1) critical seems to be very rare (even at my rating of 130-155 depending on gear at the time), and (2) it's blocked by bosses all the time, and street thugs most of the time.

Rowan Dragonstrider
Proud Archmage Sorceress
"The Ultimate Spaz"

A few hours after posting this, some boss guy gave me a staff that increased my block-rating to 93 for all... it even gave me armour piercing!

I guess I'm just confused, because I used to block all schools but, out of nowhere, just stopped blocking Storm criticals. It's annoying as heck, because a Storm boss can easily take me out in 2 hits (maybe 3, if I'm lucky), and they critical EVERY TURN. It's like, you can't be serious.

See you in the Spiral (someday, honest!)

El Veeb/Laura Shadowsong
the almost-archmage sorceress (3 bars to go!)